Sign in to follow this  
sderk

Is Chris Carson toast?

Another fumble. This time returned for a TD. Dang, as long as he could stay healthy, I thought he would be consistently solid this year. 🙁

Good grief you people have short attention spans.

Less than 24 hours ago, Chris Carson was the #10 PPR RB in the whole NFL, ahead of Zeke, Kamara, Chubb, Gurley, Conner and Mack and a whole host of others.

He had a "bad" game in which he rushed for 53 yards.  A 1000 yard rusher averages 62.5 yards per game.

On to next week.

15 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Good grief you people have short attention spans.

Less than 24 hours ago, Chris Carson was the #10 PPR RB in the whole NFL, ahead of Zeke, Kamara, Chubb, Gurley, Conner and Mack and a whole host of others.

He had a "bad" game in which he rushed for 53 yards.  A 1000 yard rusher averages 62.5 yards per game.

On to next week.

He has gone from 6 receptions in week 1, to 3, to 1. Hasn't gotten more than 60 yards rushing in any game. And 1 reception for -2 yards with Penny out today.

2TDs on the year. None since game 1. Fumbles the ball on a regular basis.

I hope he can pull it together. Most of my RBs are injured for the most part. 

Toast no, after Carson and Penny who else do the Seahawks have, and Penny as already missed a game. 

So toast no, but when and if Penny can stay on the field I can see he Penny getting more work. 

I passed on Ingram for this butterfingered ball dropper. Ugh. When Penny is healthy, I expect him to get a shot at the starting gig. Why wouldn't he at this point?

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I passed on Ingram for this butterfingered ball dropper. Ugh. When Penny is healthy, I expect him to get a shot at the starting gig. Why wouldn't he at this point?

I would agree with you normally, but maybe it's because Penny is not good. I liked him coming out of college, but man, he doesn't look good either. At least Carson has looked good previously.

2 minutes ago, sderk said:

I would agree with you normally, but maybe it's because Penny is not good. I liked him coming out of college, but man, he doesn't look good either. At least Carson has looked good previously.

Penny looked fine to me. That TD last week was pretty damn sweet. Not going to see Chris Carson stop on a dime and race around the endge for a TD. Carrol is stubborn and loves him some grinder type rbs though. Coaches never move on from those types until it's painfully obvious how limited they are. 

I think they've wanted to get Penny the ball more, but Carson has just outplayed him so far.  Probably even more of a timeshare going forward as turning the ball over isn't something Carrol is going to tolerate.  You get what you get with Carson though.  A good week, an average week, then a bad week.  He will have some good games, but he wasn't exactly considered a stud to begin with.  If he cleans up his recent fumble issues, I think things will remain the same.  If he keeps fumbling, they have to use Penny more.  Carrol does like his power guys in the backfield, but he also spent a 1st round pick on Penny, so that should tell you who he wants to win the job.  He's going to have to earn it though, and on the field, outside of a play here and there, Carson has looked better. 

I'm not worried about the bad game, but the fumbles are definitely a worry... he may find himself on a very short leash if this continues. 

Carroll doesn't seem particularly concerned about it; he doesn't even seem to think it's Carson's fault.  Here's an article about what happened after the fumble...

What did Carroll tell Carson then?

“To get ready to get back into the game, and just do right,” Carroll said.

“He’s had three, remarkable, remarkable punches (by defenders) that have knocked the ball out. He was covering it up, and he knew. He was conscious. It (Apple’s hit) was right in the right place, and it happened again.

“So, we needed to get him out of there some, just give him some time or whatever. Separate from it, and then put him back in.”

Pete Carroll Supporting Chris Carson

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Carroll doesn't seem particularly concerned about it; he doesn't even seem to think it's Carson's fault.  Here's an article about what happened after the fumble...

What did Carroll tell Carson then?

“To get ready to get back into the game, and just do right,” Carroll said.

“He’s had three, remarkable, remarkable punches (by defenders) that have knocked the ball out. He was covering it up, and he knew. He was conscious. It (Apple’s hit) was right in the right place, and it happened again.

“So, we needed to get him out of there some, just give him some time or whatever. Separate from it, and then put him back in.”

Pete Carroll Supporting Chris Carson

Do you believe it, or do you think that it is just coach-speak? To me, it reads as if Carroll is trying to throw a fumbling back some confidence as they are thin at the moment. And yes, I am a Carson owner.

What are you gong to do? If he's playing, you play him until he's not. The Seahawks are always going to try and establish the running game. Volume says you start him until he's benched, realizing he can be benched in game. Which is the worst. I have to side with Carroll on yesterday's fumble. Most rb's would have fumbled the ball on that play. It was a perfect shot from behind. 

fumbles are one good reason to get benched.

That being said, he does not have a history of being a fumbler.

as a rookie in 2017 he did not lose a fumble at all.

last season he lost only 2.

I have to think this is an anomoly. 

If I were the coach, I  wouldn't be inclined to bench him yet, but if it continued obviously I'd feel the need to address it.

1 hour ago, rallo said:

Do you believe it, or do you think that it is just coach-speak? To me, it reads as if Carroll is trying to throw a fumbling back some confidence as they are thin at the moment. And yes, I am a Carson owner.

I watched the play, and I believe that the fumble had more to do with the defender than the ball-carrier.  I don't believe that a smart coach would stop using their best RB just because a defender made a great play on him, no.

I think Carson will be fine. Rainy condition on this one. He's still the best back here.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I watched the play, and I believe that the fumble had more to do with the defender than the ball-carrier.  I don't believe that a smart coach would stop using their best RB just because a defender made a great play on him, no.

Belichick might or should I say probably would, and he knows a thing or two about coaching

That’s the biggest key, he’s the best rb they have. 

48 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Belichick might or should I say probably would, and he knows a thing or two about coaching

So you're speculating on what you think Belichick would do, and then justifying it as the right thing to do because Belichick knows a thing or two about coaching?

lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

whether he would or not does not matter in this case as he is not the coach here.

What matters here is what Pete Carroll will do.

11 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

whether he would or not does not matter in this case as he is not the coach here.

What matters here is what Pete Carroll will do.

Sure thing, Ray. The comment I was responding to was a “smart coach” wouldn’t bench him for fumbling.

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Sure thing, Ray. The comment I was responding to was a “smart coach” wouldn’t bench him for fumbling.

ok fair enough.

I do think if any RB fumbles enough, a smart coach removes him from starting.

I do not, however think we are at this point.   not yet.

Problem is , if they do replace Carson, who would that be. 

Penny?  

Carson is their best rb, I just do t think they have much of a choice right now. 

You have to start him one more week.  I'm not sure how soon Penny gets back from the hamstring and CJ Procise can't play more than 3 plays without getting hurt so I'm not sure what options they have left.