Sign in to follow this  
phins1921

Are any of you dropping Mayfield ?

I have him on roster but have started Brady the last two games.  I'm considering dropping him asap. Anyone else think of getting him off your team?

I wouldn't. It could click at any time. The biggest factor here imo is that Kitchens is in over his head. He has a lot going on as a head coach and he is calling plays on top of it. He is probably better suited as just a play caller. 

not dropping him yet.  sitting on the bench until he proves otherwise.

I'd hang on to him as well.  The early season is always the toughest on a new coach and new players trying to get to know one another.  He has the weapons to at least be a solid QB2 and unless you have someone better on your waiver wire, who are you going to pick up? 

They have the Ravens and 49'ers coming up.  Both teams can be passed upon.  He has a brutal schedule after that with the 'Hawks, Patriots, Broncos and Bills though.  Look at his schedule down the stretch though.  The Steelers twice.  Bengals twice.  Dolphins, Cardinals and Ravens again.  His fantasy playoff schedule is Bengals, Cardinals, Ravens.  Three teams that you can throw the ball on.  Not great, but better than some.  So unless you have a legit better opportunity, I'd hold him for the run between 11/14 - 12/22.  Not bad slate at all during that stretch. 

I saw part of the Seattle game, and it looked like he was running for his life out there.

it was to a point where he occasionally left the pocket because he heard footsteps, when, in reality he had time and shouldnt have left the pocket.

That's the sign that the line play is significantly affecting him.

It is concerning.   This is an example of how good QB's can get ruined by a crappy line.

I am not suggesting hes ruined.   but this is how it begins.

Cleveland needs to figure out a way to give him more time back there.   This is the bottom line.

Drop  Mayfield for you? 

That's tough as he has the weapons, and to be fair, he has gone up against some tough defenses. If anything he has only proven that he is not matchup proof.

His schedule isn't exactly the easiest. I picked up Brees, but it's difficult holding 2 QB's with a 5 player bench. I'm thinking about picking up Cousins or Stafford instead of Mayfield.

Mayfield has no pocket awareness. I know his line has struggled, but this dude refuses to step up in the pocket even when it is CLEAN and loves to run right and throw it away...it's bad.

Throw in bad or questionable coaching. 

3 hours ago, thePRO said:

Mayfield has no pocket awareness. I know his line has struggled, but this dude refuses to step up in the pocket even when it is CLEAN and loves to run right and throw it away...it's bad.

I have not noticed the refusal to step up in the pocket outside of the Rams game.  I don't count that though as NO QB steps up in the pocket when Aaron Donald is staring at you.  Prior to that, I have seen him throw the ball away, but I'd rather him do that than take a sack or throw an interception.  I don't care about Mayfield either way, but his pocket awareness sure was excellent at Oklahoma and it looked good last season, especially for a rookie. 

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I have not noticed the refusal to step up in the pocket outside of the Rams game.  I don't count that though as NO QB steps up in the pocket when Aaron Donald is staring at you.  Prior to that, I have seen him throw the ball away, but I'd rather him do that than take a sack or throw an interception.  I don't care about Mayfield either way, but his pocket awareness sure was excellent at Oklahoma and it looked good last season, especially for a rookie. 

Oklahoma's schedule (and conference) are not exactly world beaters, the guys in the NFL are ferocious beasts compared to what he went against in college. And yes, he does have a tendency to scramble right almost all the time.

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Throw in bad or questionable coaching. 

Agree 100% Weeps, the play calls when they had first down on the 4 yd line was a joke, Chubb should have gotten it at least 2 times instead of throwing it 4-especially when you have all your timeouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kitchens has too much on his table.

Very droppable when there’s so many other QBs putting up huge games every week. Heck I even think Rodgers is borderline droppable but I love punishment so I’ll start him again.

Holding, but I already benched him this week and will till they get it figured out. Eventually that Offense will find its groove and Baker will be worth having when it does.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Holding, but I already benched him this week and will till they get it figured out. Eventually that Offense will find its groove and Baker will be worth having when it does.

in a keeper league you hold him.  I think the coach gets fired and if they make a decent hiring, he may turn things around.

I believe in him and his talent, but as noted by the Pro(quoted above), I have noticed that he does like to run right rather than step up into the pocket.   This is something the coaches will need to address.  if he's this predictable, teams will adjust their pass rush accordingly.    chances are good if I noticed it, and the pro has as well, a lot of NFL scouts have seen it too.

concerning for sure.    but I truly think both this, and the line issue can be addressed with coaching.  I just dont know if the coach in Cleveland is up to the task.

Mayfield is an undersized QB with a terrible line and he's not overly athletic.   

Part of the reason tends to 'throw so well on the run' is that he is largely not capable of seeing over the line when he stands in the pocket and he needs to get outside to adjust his angles.

Still wondering to those that own Mayfield, have you made any offers for him?