Big Guy

Greta Van Climate Change

7 hours ago, Big Guy said:

🤣

This reminds me, my car's low on gas. Gotta go fill er up.

Trump 2020!!

• Thanks 2

Greta Thunberg nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

https://nypost.com/2020/02/03/greta-thunberg-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize/

Teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg has been nominated for the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize by two Swedish lawmakers, a report said on Monday.

Jens Holm and Hakan Svenneling, members of Sweden’s Left Party, said the 17-year-old Thunberg “has worked hard to make politicians open their eyes to the climate crisis.”

Her work toward “reducing our emissions and complying with the Paris Agreement is therefore also an act of making peace,” they said.

The Paris accord, from which President Trump withdrew the US in June 2017, seeks to combat the rise in global temperatures by reducing emissions.

Thunberg, who has encouraged students to skip school to attend rallies for the environment, has spoken out on the world stage about climate change — including at the United Nations General Assembly last September, at the UN’s annual COP25 climate meeting in Madrid in December and most recently at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

“I wonder, what will you tell your children was the reason to fail and leave them facing the climate chaos you knowingly brought upon them?” she mused to the gathering of world business and political leaders in Switzerland last month.

Thunberg, who was named Time magazine’s 2019 “Person of the Year,” was also nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize last year by three members of Norway’s parliament.

Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed won the 2019 award for negotiating peace with neighboring Eritrea.

Nominations for the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize had to be submitted by Feb. 1.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee doesn’t comment on nominations.

--------

Obama won the prize for no reason, might as well have her win to show how useless the award is...

She is the face of the movement.  Pretty well established that the ideas and words aren't hers.  That said, to give her a Nobel Prize wouldn't cheapen it any less, I guess.

As a complete aside, is anyone kind of freaked out by her being 17 and looking like she's 9.  In a matter of months she's Jeff Epstein's wildest dream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

As a complete aside, is anyone kind of freaked out by her being 17 and looking like she's 9.  In a matter of months she's Jeff Epstein's wildest dream.

I don't think Epstein gave a sh1t about whether girls were legal or not. 

4 minutes ago, DonS said:

I don't think Epstein gave a sh1t about whether girls were legal or not. 

Actually them not being legal added to his enjoyment.  Greta could make a lot of dough with guys like that if she lies about her age.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

I am super creeped out by this. Its just sooo odd. 

On 9/24/2019 at 9:29 AM, IGotWorms said:

Yeah, agreed. Let the kid be a focking kid

:thumbsup:

A Heated Oxford Education

Protesting students get a personal lesson about fossil fuels.

By 

The Editorial Board

Feb. 2, 2020 4:49 pm ET

When most people think of Oxford, what comes to mind are images of bright minds debating quantum physics or the existence of God. But even the brainiest sometimes need a lesson in common sense.

That’s exactly what the bursar at St. John’s College—the most richly endowed college at Oxford—delivered when he responded to students occupying his 15th-century quadrangle and refusing to leave until the college divested its oil-company shares. The students want the college to sell the more than $10 million of its endowment now invested in Shell and BP, and they want it now.

The Times of London reports that bursar Andrew Parker made them a counteroffer. “I am not able to arrange any divestment at short notice,” he wrote. “But I can arrange for the gas central heating in college to be switched off with immediate effect. Please let me know if you support this proposal.”

The idea that the students themselves make a fossil-fuel sacrifice did not go over well. One protest organizer complained that Mr. Parker was being flippant, noting that “it’s January and it would be borderline dangerous to shut off the central heating.” Another suggested Mr. Parker was being provocative.

Again the bursar responded with wisdom: “You are right that I am being provocative but I am provoking some clear thinking, I hope. It is all too easy to request others to do things that carry no personal cost to yourself. The question is whether you and others are prepared to make personal sacrifices to achieve the goals of environmental improvement (which I support as a goal).”

Surely a worthy lesson applicable far beyond the colleges of Oxford.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

:thumbsup:

A Heated Oxford Education

Protesting students get a personal lesson about fossil fuels.

By 

The Editorial Board

Feb. 2, 2020 4:49 pm ET

When most people think of Oxford, what comes to mind are images of bright minds debating quantum physics or the existence of God. But even the brainiest sometimes need a lesson in common sense.

That’s exactly what the bursar at St. John’s College—the most richly endowed college at Oxford—delivered when he responded to students occupying his 15th-century quadrangle and refusing to leave until the college divested its oil-company shares. The students want the college to sell the more than $10 million of its endowment now invested in Shell and BP, and they want it now.

The Times of London reports that bursar Andrew Parker made them a counteroffer. “I am not able to arrange any divestment at short notice,” he wrote. “But I can arrange for the gas central heating in college to be switched off with immediate effect. Please let me know if you support this proposal.”

The idea that the students themselves make a fossil-fuel sacrifice did not go over well. One protest organizer complained that Mr. Parker was being flippant, noting that “it’s January and it would be borderline dangerous to shut off the central heating.” Another suggested Mr. Parker was being provocative.

Again the bursar responded with wisdom: “You are right that I am being provocative but I am provoking some clear thinking, I hope. It is all too easy to request others to do things that carry no personal cost to yourself. The question is whether you and others are prepared to make personal sacrifices to achieve the goals of environmental improvement (which I support as a goal).”

Surely a worthy lesson applicable far beyond the colleges of Oxford.

Awesome. 

I cant find a pic on the interwebs, but appearently a Candian oil company produced a decal depicting Greta being anal fisted and her braids being pulled.  RCMP have said its not criminal.

11 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

I cant find a pic on the interwebs, but appearently a Candian oil company produced a decal depicting Greta being anal fisted and her braids being pulled.  RCMP have said its not criminal.

Illinois allowed a Nazi march in Skokie, Ill. (a predominantly Jewish suburb of Chicago), so why not a allow someone to speak out against the lunacy the is Greta. Hell, add AOC to the pic as well. And Sanders for all I care. Go for it. I don't think AOC or Sanders needs it to be a drawing or cartoon, they should just submit their pictures of the real thing they were doing.

On 2/29/2020 at 1:53 PM, Utilit99 said:

Illinois allowed a Nazi march in Skokie, Ill. (a predominantly Jewish suburb of Chicago), so why not a allow someone to speak out against the lunacy the is Greta. Hell, add AOC to the pic as well. And Sanders for all I care. Go for it. I don't think AOC or Sanders needs it to be a drawing or cartoon, they should just submit their pictures of the real thing they were doing.

Wellll..Illinois didn't ALLOW it, they couldn't stop it.  And they tried.    i was there  🙂

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Wellll..Illinois didn't ALLOW it, they couldn't stop it.  And they tried.    i was there  🙂

Wow. That's pretty historic dude. That must have been nuts.

But were you there when Jake and Elwood Blues drove through the march? That's the real question.

6 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Wow. That's pretty historic dude. That must have been nuts.

But were you there when Jake and Elwood Blues drove through the march? That's the real question.

Ha...no seriously.  We were there.

Then we came back later..there was a very tall post in the ground at Lovelace park(which was technically Evanston) that was used for fencing and it was bent at the top.  Cop rounded up me and my brother and a friend and accused us of damaging it.  Seriously?     This was like 78, we were 11..this was a very thick post.    

So he let us skate.  It was a weird experience

17 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Did you look sharp in your Nazi SS gear? 

13 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Ha...no seriously.  We were there.

Then we came back later..there was a very tall post in the ground at Lovelace park(which was technically Evanston) that was used for fencing and it was bent at the top.  Cop rounded up me and my brother and a friend and accused us of damaging it.  Seriously?     This was like 78, we were 11..this was a very thick post.    

So he let us skate.  It was a weird experience

No, I believe it. That is pretty cool actually.

CNN:  why won’t Trump listen to the EXPERTS and Scientists!

CNN:  puts teenage climate change activist on panel to discuss Covid-19.

:lol:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Hopefully we'll get another Swedish death metal video out of this.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

CNN:  why won’t Trump listen to the EXPERTS and Scientists!

CNN:  puts teenage  climate change activist on panel to discuss Covid-19.

:lol:

This is amazing. For thousands of years humans have dealt with all kinds of obstacles to survive. It's normal to deal with shlt. Now all of a sudden, the Earth is "doomed by future pandemics and climate disaster" and the dumbass youth need to be consulted without even knowing what it's like to have a job.  I'll bet Fingerbanger is happy about this.

What a bunch of phags the left are.

Some have come to Thunberg’s defense, including more than a few public figures, arguing that the voice of the youth, who will come to inherit an Earth doomed by future pandemics and climate disaster, may actually have something to add to the conversation.

Greta Thunberg prepares my taxes for me.

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Her Dad was lead singer in The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

I usually sadly chuckle at your puns but this one failed.  Should've gone with Fabulous Thunderbergs. 

• Haha 2

She now has a spider named after her...  Looks just like her...

https://www.france24.com/en/20200612-new-spider-species-named-after-greta

Swedish climate campaigner Greta Thunberg can add to her list of personal accolades, including TIME magazine's Person of the Year, a group of spiders named after her.

Thunberga gen. nov. is a new genus of huntsman spiders from Madagascar, described by German arachnologist Peter Jager, and named after the wunderkind in honour of her commitment to tackling climate change.

"The rising temperatures affect all areas of nature -– including the endemic diversity and spider fauna of Madagascar," said Jager, who has participated in several protests inspired by Thunberg's School Strike for Climate.

In a study printed in the scientific journal Zootaxa, Jager explained that the new genus differed from other huntsmans in their eye arrangement and unique dotted patterns on their backs.

Jager, who has discovered several new spider species in a career spanning 20 years, said he hoped that by naming the creepy crawlies after Thunberg he could draw attention to the issue of biodiversity loss in Madagascar.

He named a previous discovery of Southeast Asian huntsman spider Heteropoda davidbowie.

Unlike most spiders, huntsman don't spin webs and hunt and forage instead for their food.

During his latest expedition, Jager also discovered a heretofore unknown species of huntsman on the island.

Its name? Thunberga greta.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, posty said:

She now has a spider named after her...  Looks just like her...

https://www.france24.com/en/20200612-new-spider-species-named-after-greta

Swedish climate campaigner Greta Thunberg can add to her list of personal accolades, including TIME magazine's Person of the Year, a group of spiders named after her.

Thunberga gen. nov. is a new genus of huntsman spiders from Madagascar, described by German arachnologist Peter Jager, and named after the wunderkind in honour of her commitment to tackling climate change.

"The rising temperatures affect all areas of nature -– including the endemic diversity and spider fauna of Madagascar," said Jager, who has participated in several protests inspired by Thunberg's School Strike for Climate.

In a study printed in the scientific journal Zootaxa, Jager explained that the new genus differed from other huntsmans in their eye arrangement and unique dotted patterns on their backs.

Jager, who has discovered several new spider species in a career spanning 20 years, said he hoped that by naming the creepy crawlies after Thunberg he could draw attention to the issue of biodiversity loss in Madagascar.

He named a previous discovery of Southeast Asian huntsman spider Heteropoda davidbowie.

Unlike most spiders, huntsman don't spin webs and hunt and forage instead for their food.

During his latest expedition, Jager also discovered a heretofore unknown species of huntsman on the island.

Its name? Thunberga greta.

Well, I guess those spider's knowledge of the climate is similar to greta's. :dunno: 

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Well, I guess those spider's knowledge of the climate is similar to greta's. :dunno: 

shouldnt they use this as an example of how nature can adapt?

14 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

shouldnt they use this as an example of how nature can adapt?

Couldn't hurt. If's spiders can do it, so can we!!

This never gets old (as far as I'm concerned). :headbanger:

Ah, I remember this stuff. I hope we can wipe out the racism within 12 years. It’s all the time we have left. 

40 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I'll have to get some 

Do you think Greta will put out for you? 

• Haha 2

Now that she's 18, do they stick with her or go find another minor?