Sign in to follow this  
zftcg

Streaming defenses: Who ya got Week 5?

[NOTE: Week 5 discussion starts near the bottom of this page.]

Slim pickings this week.

In one league, Jacksonville is still out there. By the numbers, Denver actually hasn't been a great matchup for opposing DSTs so far, but they're certainly not scary, and Jags showed some signs of life last week.

In my other league, it's really tough. The available teams with the best match-ups happen to be pretty mediocre Ds (Indy vs Oak, Pitt vs. Cinci). Could also go with KC @ Det under the assumption that it could turn into a blowout or Car @ Houston. As of right now, leaning Pittsburgh but I don't feel good about it.

Great question and thank you for it.  

My list that I’m eye balling.  

Texans vs Panthers 

Hawks vs Zona. 

Broncos vs jags. 

Steelers vs. Bengals, the Steeler eater A J Green isn’t playing. 

Ill post who I take, but right now I’m on the fence about those four teams. 

35 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Texans vs Panthers 

Interesting. I was considering the opposite (which is usually a good sign to treat both as stayaways).

Hard to get a read on Carolina's offense. They're not as bad as they looked those first two weeks with a hobbled Cam. But they're not as good as they looked against the Arizona Swiss Cheeses. I think betting against Allen is a reasonable proposition, though.

Still thinking either Indy or Pitt. One thing I like about Indy is they're most likely to win, which is always nice to have in a streaming D. Don't think they're particularly good though.

I feel like this is one of those weeks where you hope to find the D that will get you 6-8 points and not cost you your match-up.

Yeah I like the Steelers def, they caused a lot of turn overs last week. 

But im afraid that the offense might give up as many, and the bengals can turn those into points vs the def. 

right now I’m thinking Texans. 

53 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Yeah I like the Steelers def, they caused a lot of turn overs last week. 

But im afraid that the offense might give up as many, and the bengals can turn those into points vs the def. 

right now I’m thinking Texans. 

I'm with you on your thinking.  I can see the Steelers doing well against that porous Cincy line, but I can also see them giving up a couple of TD's late too.  The Texans aren't a bad choice as there is no way they get eaten up like the Cardinals did.  I wouldn't rule out the Broncos either.  They are off to a horrible start, but this will be the easiest line they've faced and you know Miller & Chubb are seriously overdue for some sacks.  Then again, if Jacksonville is out there, they would be my choice against a pretty bad Denver offensive line.  Indy could be ok, but if Hilton doesn't play, this will be a run dominated game, limiting the opportunities for sacks & interceptions. 

Out of the ones listed above, I'm a fan of the Steelers / Texans / Denver more than the rest.  If Jax is on the wire though (they shouldn't be), they would be my 1st choice. 

Denver has been extremely disappointing thus far. With two premier pass rushers in Von Miller and Bradley Chubb along with a good enough secondary and the arrival of Vic Fangio I was expecting a lot more than what they've produced so far. They don't even have one team sack yet. Very slim pickings this week on my WW so I'm looking at Denver, ATL against Mariota or sticking with Dallas on the road at New Orleans. 

Indy is on my wire. As are the ravens.

presently rostering Dallas.

have a present dst spot and cams spot which I anticipate being vacant.

worth holding two of the three above defenses? If so which two do you recommend?

thinking I grab Indy for this week and then also grab baltimore as a general weekly future play. 

I would say hold Dallas and pick up Baltimore, but they both have a Week 8 bye, and Indy has Denver Week 8, so yeah, holding Indy and Baltimore does make some sense.

25 minutes ago, SexyRexy said:

Indy is on my wire. As are the ravens.

presently rostering Dallas.

have a present dst spot and cams spot which I anticipate being vacant.

worth holding two of the three above defenses? If so which two do you recommend?

thinking I grab Indy for this week and then also grab baltimore as a general weekly future play. 

Previous post was for you; forgot to quote.

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Previous post was for you; forgot to quote.

Thanks. What do you think of Baltimore’s schedule? Are they worth starting weekly for the most part? I actually drafted them and dropped them before week 1.

would you prefer the second defense for stream this week or rojo in a ppr?

1 minute ago, SexyRexy said:

Thanks. What do you think of Baltimore’s schedule? Are they worth starting weekly for the most part? I actually drafted them and dropped them before week 1.

would you prefer the second defense for stream this week or rojo in a ppr?

I'm not a big fan of Ronald Jones, so if you're not desperate at RB, I wouldn't bother with him.

It's kind of hard to tell how all the offenses and defenses will shake out for the rest of the season this early, but it looks like Baltimore's and Indy's defenses dovetail pretty nicely.  This week, you could about go either way, with Baltimore getting Cleveland and Indy getting Oakland.  Next week, Indy has KC, but Baltimore gets the rookie QB and Pittsburgh.  I mentioned Indy has Denver during Baltimore's bye, and then Indy gets the rookie QB and Pittsburgh daily double the following week when Baltimore has Brady and the Patriots--and follows that up with the pitiful Miami offense when Baltimore has Cincinnati (probably with AJ Green by that point).  Baltimore's season ends with San Francisco, Buffalo, the Jets and Cleveland in Weeks 13-16, so not a bad slate of mediocre offenses for the fantasy playoffs.

18 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I'm not a big fan of Ronald Jones, so if you're not desperate at RB, I wouldn't bother with him.

It's kind of hard to tell how all the offenses and defenses will shake out for the rest of the season this early, but it looks like Baltimore's and Indy's defenses dovetail pretty nicely.  This week, you could about go either way, with Baltimore getting Cleveland and Indy getting Oakland.  Next week, Indy has KC, but Baltimore gets the rookie QB and Pittsburgh.  I mentioned Indy has Denver during Baltimore's bye, and then Indy gets the rookie QB and Pittsburgh daily double the following week when Baltimore has Brady and the Patriots--and follows that up with the pitiful Miami offense when Baltimore has Cincinnati (probably with AJ Green by that point).  Baltimore's season ends with San Francisco, Buffalo, the Jets and Cleveland in Weeks 13-16, so not a bad slate of mediocre offenses for the fantasy playoffs.

Solid take. Thanks 

Might sound crazy, but I'm going to try WAS D vs NYG and the new QB.  One game of film on Danny boy, maybe a few picks and sacks.  just a thought.

22 hours ago, AxeElf said:

There's your answer.

i couldnt agree more

22 hours ago, weepaws said:

Broncos vs jags. 

Denver is the only team to not have a sack this year.  The Jags stink, but sacks lead to turnovers and defensive TDs... probably why Denver doesn't have any of those either.

27 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Denver is the only team to not have a sack this year.  The Jags stink, but sacks lead to turnovers and defensive TDs... probably why Denver doesn't have any of those either.

I really want to start Denver this week considering they are home and will do everything to avoid going 0-4 but the fact they have no sacks (with Miller and Chubb) or turnovers is really concerning. Debating between Denver and Dallas at the moment as there aren't many great options available this week. 

1 hour ago, unclemercy said:

have the steelers penciled in over the rams and bills.

Fantasy Footballers podcast made one additional point in favor of Pittsburgh: Prime Time Andy Dalton.

Ended up with the Texans vs the Panthers. 

2 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Any why they our available 

I'm looking at Texans and also grabbing Saints and platooning them, I know Saints have given up some points but they've played teams ranked 9-12 in scoring, that gets better thru schedule 

TEXANS          SAINTS

CAR                 DAL

ATL                  TB

@KC                @JAX

@IND               @CHI

OAK                 ARI

JAX                   bye

bye                  ATL

@BAL              @TB

IND                  CAR

NE                    @ATL

DEN                 SF

@TEN              IND

@TB                @TEN

I stream def, so I never look for the long haul. 

But of the teams available I chose the Texans. 

I decided Atlanta at home against Titans.  Falcons defense has been shaky, but they've faced good teams and a couple road games.  At home versus Mariota is the best situation they've had this season.

I ended up picking up the Colts to stream this week, and putting Dallas on my bench this week. I kinda think Dallas is going to come on strong as the season goes on, as they get some of their pass rushers back from suspension. But this week I want nothing to do with them against New Orleans. Brees or no Brees, Kamara and MT are going to get it done against them, and Teddy isn't going to take too many sacks or throw picks IMO.

Meanwhile, while I don't particularly love the Colts D, they do have 8 sacks through 3 games, and if they get Leonard back this week itll be a nice bump. Pair that with a home game against Oakland and I think we're in for some turnovers and sacks. And on top of that I think Indy's offense will chew a decent bit of clock and establish the run in this one.

Going with Steelers this week, have Buffalo on my bench and between those two I feel like I'm pretty much set for the rest of the season.

Just a question, I’ve never in 31 ff seasons have rostered more than one def on my ff team. 

So my question is , what if you see a better option one weekend than the two you have, do you drop a player, or one of those def?  

Again im just asking a question.  

Good luck today, 

Indy only got 2 points.. apologies for the lame advice...

2 hours ago, [echo] said:

Indy only got 2 points.. apologies for the lame advice...

I ended up spending $19 in faab on them. Then dropped them ate the faab loss and went with Dallas who got me 17 

On 9/29/2019 at 3:40 AM, weepaws said:

Just a question, I’ve never in 31 ff seasons have rostered more than one def on my ff team. 

So my question is , what if you see a better option one weekend than the two you have, do you drop a player, or one of those def?  

Again im just asking a question.  

Good luck today, 

Early in the season I really try to avoid rostering more than one. Only exceptions are if a) I have an elite unit and don't want to drop them while they are on bye/have a stay-away match-up, or b) I'm targeting an absolute cake match-up a week in advance, so I'm willing to stash that D a week early.

Late in the season, when I'm past the byes for my skill position players and my starters are pretty much set, I will stock up on as many as three DSTs, in part so I have a choice and in part to play keepaway from others.

Changed the subject. We can keep this going as a weekly streaming thread.

For this week, Philly was available in one league, so I got them for the cake Jets match-up.

In my other league, I went with Tenn, which seems to be the consensus streamer pick. Solid D facing either a turnover-prone Allen or possibly Barkley.

I’m loathe to drop the Rams who have gotten me 10+ every game despite giving up 55 to the Buccs and facing Hawks with Russ who doesn’t turn the ball over.

1 hour ago, zftcg said:

Early in the season I really try to avoid rostering more than one. Only exceptions are if a) I have an elite unit and don't want to drop them while they are on bye/have a stay-away match-up, or b) I'm targeting an absolute cake match-up a week in advance, so I'm willing to stash that D a week early.

Late in the season, when I'm past the byes for my skill position players and my starters are pretty much set, I will stock up on as many as three DSTs, in part so I have a choice and in part to play keepaway from others.

Ok thanks, I truly do appreciate the return post. 

Dropped the Texans, and was able to pick up the Panthers. 

Titans are the play this week and if the Bills end up starting Matt Barkley I like them even more. They're also more than just a one week streamer as you can use them again next week against Denver. 

Panthers are a nice call.. a couple weeks ago i grabbed the SF d/st.. i think they are the correct play over dallas this week

1 hour ago, John Fox said:

i'm looking to grab the Saints defense. I like their schedule going forward. Currently have Jax def.

I picked up saints D for the same reason. Nice schedule the next few weeks.  

2 hours ago, tanatastic said:

I’m loathe to drop the Rams who have gotten me 10+ every game despite giving up 55 to the Buccs and facing Hawks with Russ who doesn’t turn the ball over.

I too have the Rams. Available are Eagles and Panthers. Leaning towards Panthers, putting up 14 sacks the last 2 weeks.