Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Whuuula Fock! Insurance quote for my kid to be added...

My 15 year old's first driver's class tonight for new drivers.  He'll have his learner's permit next week on an early waiver, but won't be able to get his full on driver's license until next June when he turns 16.

I went to GEICO to quote how much it would be to put him on our insurance.  They said the same while he has his permit, $170 a month.  Once he get's his driver's license.... $440 a MONTH!! :o  :shocking:

HOLEEEEEE FOCK... $270 more a month?!  Wooooowww...  that's ridiculous.  Goes from $900 something every 6 months to $2600 something every 6 months.

Gotta be a better company out there... I've apparently got 9 months to find a new company that isn't stupid.  Suggestions boys? :huh:

Why did you tell the insurance company? Any licensed driver should be covered on your policy if you need to file a claim for something that happens while he is driving your vehicles. They don’t need to know it will be a 16 year old. 

dude..... USAA has been wonderful.  give them a look.

12 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

dude..... USAA has been wonderful.  give them a look.

I'm a member... but for some readon they've never been competetive.  I'll def try again.

21 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Holy fuk!  No vehicles added, just him?  Ill have 2 added at the same time.  Girls though.

Nope.. just the boy.

8 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I'm a member... but for some readon they've never been competetive.  I'll def try again.

fair enough.  my father was in the army and their service has been wonderful.  never felt their pricing was unreasonable and we have a lot of driver discounts between us.

Welcome to math, probability and insurance. 

Since math is racist maybe you claim claim racism since he is half Native American.  

As I've said for years, insurance is a concept that must eventually collapse.  It is impossible to guarantee a service in a free market economy.  Any attempt to do so causes prices to escalate relentlessly until a collapse occurs.  You cannot guarantee health care via health insurance, because if you try, health care costs will rise to ridiculous levels and keep rising forever until health insurance collapses.  You cannot guarantee coverage for auto accidents with insurance, because if you try then coverage costs will escalate forever until car insurance collapses.

The concept of insurance is a failed idea from the start.  It is a broken system.  

The inevitable step is that even the monthly cost of insurance will be so high that a large number of people will not pay it.  At that point, you will see a black market emerge that lets people pay out of pocket for services.  Eventually so many will be using the black market that the insurance companies will collapse.

My son is 16 and has my daughters old 2010 Nissan Sentra. They wanted $2500 a year for full coverage, the car is probably worth $4500... I pay a little less than that for our 3 other vehicles total, all newer than his. I bought a new truck in 2017 that is the cheapest of the bunch. Pretty insane the $$ needed these days to put a 16 year old boy on the road.

We dropped him to liability, I'm not paying that. If he gets in a wreck that's his fault he's pretty focked anyway. We probably couldn't insure him after that for a while anyway. 

I have a friend here whose paying a rate that high. I'm in the adjuster end of the business. Don't let the know. He lives under your roof. He's covered under your policy. If you buy him a car, make sure it's in your name. Tell him to drive like a grandpa. 

USAA is a great company. Lowest rates here. I'd go with them. Don't mention your son. 

And drivers Ed is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

My son is 16 and has my daughters old 2010 Nissan Sentra. They wanted $2500 a year for full coverage, the car is probably worth $4500... I pay a little less than that for our 3 other vehicles total, all newer than his. I bought a new truck in 2017 that is the cheapest of the bunch. Pretty insane the $$ needed these days to put a 16 year old boy on the road.

We dropped him to liability, I'm not paying that. If he gets in a wreck that's his fault he's pretty focked anyway. We probably couldn't insure him after that for a while anyway. 

Good call. Two years of driving with full coverage eclipse the cost of the vehicle. I'm always amazed at those who do carry full coverage on a cheap car.

4 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Good call. Two years of driving with full coverage eclipse the cost of the vehicle. I'm always amazed at those who do carry full coverage on a cheap car.

Many people are horrifically bad at math.  They can function in every other way but put numbers in front of them and they stop functioning.

8 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

There was a good student discount when I was a teenager too if his grades are good. 

Our costs included drivers program certificate and honor student discount. 

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

Our costs included drivers program certificate and honor student discount. 

As I recall, circa 1998 on a beater car, my insurance alone was $600 every six months I think, with those discounts. Focking insane.