Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Melvin Gordon Holdout Ending Soon?

17 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Even if he reports on Thursday, I don't think he would play until Week 5.

Yeah, they certainly aren't rushing him out there against Miami.  lol  No need. 

4 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

I'll believe it when i see it.  This would be the dumbest move if he shows up this week before week 10.

maybe, but the RB position has been reasonably productive without him.

sitting may actually hinder his value more than it will help it long term.

The smartest move on his part would have been to threaten a holdout, but then show up for week 1 and have himself a great season.

but he has missed the boat on that.

Exactly..because he missed the boat on week 1 why show up now in week 4? 

.." according to a report from Branson Wright of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "

How does a dude that works for the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper get such news??

Are we sure they put Gordon back in over Ekeler?

Ekeler has been playing well from what I’ve seen, is in football shape, and didn’t undermine the team by holding out.

I mean I’m not saying they make Gordon inactive but maybe he just spells Ekeler unless and until he actually outplays him :dunno:

28 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Are we sure they put Gordon back in over Ekeler?

Ekeler has been playing well from what I’ve seen, is in football shape, and didn’t undermine the team by holding out.

mean I’m not saying they make Gordon inactive but maybe he just spells Ekeler unless and until he actually outplays him :dunno:

With Hunter Henry injured and Mike Williams struggling with injuries as well, they would use Ekeler more as a Slot WR is what I'm thinking.  I don't think they would lessen his load, just move more of it towards the passing game.  He would still get his rushing attempts, but maybe not quite as many. 

This is a dangerous game by Gordon.  If he doesn't look flat out excellent, his value is going to take a massive hit this offseason. 

I think Ekeler has proven himself to a point where Gordon wont be the bellcow he was when he finally returns.

1 minute ago, IMMensaMind said:

Thinking about dealing LeSean McCoy and Chris Godwin for Gordon. Thoughts?

Well I’m pretty risk-averse, sometimes too much so, but I would never do that.

We don’t know exactly when Gordon comes back or what his role will be. He was never a can’t-bench stud but rather a guy was good enough and given a high volume. Ekeler has performed well in his absence and ought to have a substantial role even after Gordon is back. Plus we don’t know what shape Gordon is in and these holdout guys are at increased risk of injury since they haven’t been training and practicing for months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

We don’t know exactly when Gordon comes back or what his role will be. He was never a can’t-bench stud but rather a guy was good enough and given a high volume. Ekeler has performed well in his absence and ought to have a substantial role even after Gordon is back. Plus we don’t know what shape Gordon is in and these holdout guys are at increased risk of injury since they haven’t been training and practicing for months.

You've echoed my contrarian side of this proposal, that's for sure.

I'm taking into account a couple of factors, though:

1. Is McCoy going to help my team more? He's on my bench now, while I've been playing Mack and Jacobs. Not sure I trust his time share, and the volatility of it.

2. McCoy is older, and already (again) hurt.

3. Godwin has started for me, but I have Julio/JuJu/McLaurin/Hardman and AJGreen just waiting in the wings, so I can afford to lose Godwin.

4. I have Coleman waiting to get healthy, and it's also possible that Mattison makes an appearance in my lineup at some point, Cook dependent.

Gordon could come in and immediately boost me to the next level, if he recaptures his form.

18 minutes ago, IMMensaMind said:

Absolutely not.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Absolutely not.

Can you elucidate? Other than you think McCoy is KC's starting RB (which I disagree with)?

2 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

He is hoping to feature himself for a trade. 

You're saying Gordon wants back on the field to display his wares to instigate interest in a trade?

Why? He can just point to last year's tape.

2 minutes ago, IMMensaMind said:

Can you elucidate? Other than you think McCoy is KC's starting RB (which I disagree with)?

Until further notice, McCoy is a legitimate starting RB for every fantasy team that owns him, whether you think he is 1a or 1b for the Chiefs.

I can't imagine giving up two legitimate starters on the basis of speculation that Gordon isn't sitting out for six more weeks, or that he will be a fantasy RB1 immediately upon his return.

It would be one thing if you were trying to lowball his owner on the speculation--maybe sending Carlos Hyde for him or something, but you could get Gordon for McCoy and Godwin even AFTER he's been back for a couple of weeks, if you still want him.  You're basically trading for his ceiling right now, and that's just silly.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Until further notice, McCoy is a legitimate starting RB for every fantasy team that owns him, whether you think he is 1a or 1b for the Chiefs.

I can't imagine giving up two legitimate starters on the basis of speculation that Gordon isn't sitting out for six more weeks, or that he will be a fantasy RB1 immediately upon his return.

It would be one thing if you were trying to lowball his owner on the speculation--maybe sending Carlos Hyde for him or something, but you could get Gordon for McCoy and Godwin even AFTER he's been back for a couple of weeks, if you still want him.  You're basically trading for his ceiling right now, and that's just silly.

I do understand your argument, but I think you're arguing based upon MCCOY'S ceiling as well - and I think that ceiling is seriously damaged once Williams returns for the Chefs. When you combine that aspect of the problem with McCoy's age/declining performance lately (grain of salt taken), I think your view of McCoy is WAY more rosy than mine.

But obviously either of us could be wrong here. We know this: when drafting them both over again, if we knew Gordon was the starter, his draft position would be considerably higher. 

This is the sort of trade that works for both teams I think, but I wonder if I offered Tevin Coleman and Godwin together, if that compel the trigger to be pulled as well.

32 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

This.  

in a keeper/dynasty league you may still make the deal.

but redraft is sketchy.

The chargers may punish him for sitting out and cut back his field time as a form of punishment for sitting out.

I know the CBA likely forbids this kind of thing, but it happens.  

I wouldnt be surprised if they designate Ekeler as the third down back and the back they use in the 2 minute (hurry up) offense.

downgrade his usage, (and stats) so that he has a harder time when he does go to the market.

there is also the possibility a trade is planned and once he returns, they pull the trigger on said trade.

Lots of possibilities.  Tough to figure out what his true value is.

• Like 1

Ekler has never been nothing but a 3rd down back , 4.O ypc last week in a loss to Texans,, week 2  3.9 yards a carry in a loss to the Lions. All you people that have Ekeler can stop making this guy out to be more than what he is. a 3rd down back, NOT half the talent of Gordon!

7 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Melvin Gordon avg less than 4.0 YPC on 3 of his first 4 seasons. 

Gordon really isn't THAT talented.

The ZERO (0) TDs on 217 touches in his rookie year put me off of him immediately.

After that, though; jeez, when you prorate his injury-shortened seasons?

2016:  50 receptions, 1,743 scrimmage yards, 15 TDs

2017:  58 receptions, 1,581 scrimmage yards, 12 TDs

2018:  67 receptions, 1,833 scrimmage yards, 19 TDs

Who cares what his average is; that's awesome production for three consecutive seasons.

1 hour ago, IMMensaMind said:

Depends on your current roster? 

18 minutes ago, weepaws said:

To answer your question, no, it does not depend on his current roster.  It is a bad idea under any and all circumstances.

54 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The ZERO (0) TDs on 217 touches in his rookie year put me off of him immediately.

After that, though; jeez, when you prorate his injury-shortened seasons?

2016:  50 receptions, 1,743 scrimmage yards, 15 TDs

2017:  58 receptions, 1,581 scrimmage yards, 12 TDs

2018:  67 receptions, 1,833 scrimmage yards, 19 TDs

Who cares what his average is; that's awesome production for three consecutive seasons.

I know..i was just messing since the above poster talked about Akeler's 4.0 YPC.

27 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Based on his first 3 games, Ekeler is on pace for 2,000 total yards, 101 reception and 22 TDs.  🤣

This is a good case for not projecting a season total based on a small sample size.

I'd bet money we wont see a back anywhere in the NFL this season who puts up 2000 total yards and 22 TD's. 

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

This.  

in a keeper/dynasty league you may still make the deal.

but redraft is sketchy.

The chargers may punish him for sitting out and cut back his field time as a form of punishment for sitting out.

I know the CBA likely forbids this kind of thing, but it happens.  

I wouldnt be surprised if they designate Ekeler as the third down back and the back they use in the 2 minute (hurry up) offense.

downgrade his usage, (and stats) so that he has a harder time when he does go to the market.

there is also the possibility a trade is planned and once he returns, they pull the trigger on said trade.

Lots of possibilities.  Tough to figure out what his true value is.

That last part is something that I considered, and part of the equation here. I cannot think of a better logical reason for Gordon to have 'moved up his timeframe' in this manner; it seems to me that he'd have either sacked up and played the entire season to showcase his talent, or he'd have waited until the last minute.

But this is something in the middle, and an agreed upon trade is a decent explanation.

3 hours ago, IMMensaMind said:

You've echoed my contrarian side of this proposal, that's for sure.

I'm taking into account a couple of factors, though:

1. Is McCoy going to help my team more? He's on my bench now, while I've been playing Mack and Jacobs. Not sure I trust his time share, and the volatility of it.

2. McCoy is older, and already (again) hurt.

3. Godwin has started for me, but I have Julio/JuJu/McLaurin/Hardman and AJGreen just waiting in the wings, so I can afford to lose Godwin.

4. I have Coleman waiting to get healthy, and it's also possible that Mattison makes an appearance in my lineup at some point, Cook dependent.

Gordon could come in and immediately boost me to the next level, if he recaptures his form.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Pertinent roster members listed above.

Hard Wow tough one, I agree about Godwin based on your current WRs. 

But after McCoy there isn’t much to brag about, expect for some what if’s. 

But I also keep seeing mr McCoy’s name listed in the injury report. 

It’s a tough call, but I’m just not so sure Gordon will even return this season. 

Mmmm. I’m going to say no, only because after McCoy you have little at the rb postion, and I don’t think we will see Gordon play in 2019. 

Thanks for the reply. 

I've made an offer to acquire Gordon and another offer to get rid of Eckler in the one league where I hav Eckler on my roster.  But the guy who has him won't trade me because he only makes trades, the shady variety, with his boss.  

Just got an alert that Gordon is reporting tomorrow...won't play this weekend.  Sucks for Eckler owners...like me :cry:

I wouldnt dump him.  I suspect hes a RB3/flex (with RB2 upside)  even with Gordon back in the lineup.

5 hours ago, IMMensaMind said:

You're saying Gordon wants back on the field to display his wares to instigate interest in a trade?

Why? He can just point to last year's tape.

Absolutely. Out of sight.  Out of mind. His gamble didn't work so now he is going to remind everyone he is still there. 

The skins are gonna burn down the stadium soon. If they had a back like Gordon  a wr like scary terry and haskins the fans could have something to look forwart to. 

The texans would be a legit team with a real rb.

I am still betting he gets traded