Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Why online football sites SUCK

There is a mock out from 24/7 sports for the 2020 NFL draft.  I HATE wasting time reading things that are useless and not at all thought out.  They are a prime example of why I tell people to ignore rankings from websites and most all preseason information.  They get paid to write.  It doesn't matter what it is, but they have to fill space.  What they typically write about is something they aren't even familiar with.  

Examples from this 24/7 mock showing the writer has very little NFL team knowledge:

1. They have the Vikings taking a WR in the 1st round.  NOT going to happen.  You don't draft a 3rd WR in the first round on a completely redesigned run first offense.  Absolutely ridiculous.
  2. They have Washington taking a WR in round one.  Again, NOT happening.  They have McLaurin and Richardson for next season.  What are they missing?  A CB, LT, G, TE and a serious upgrade at LB.  Even Washington isn't going to take a WR with those needs.  Considering their young rookie QB was roommates with the owner's son in college, I highly suspect they do their best to protect him by bringing in an Offensive Tackle, but it isn't going to be a WR.
  3. They have the Jets with the #1 overall pick.  Yeah, that's not happening either unless they are trading up for it. 
  4. Jerry Jeudy is compared to Calvin Ridley.  Really?  Jeudy isn't fast, but he is the best WR prospect to come out in some time and he's being compared to only Ridley? (nothing at all against Ridley)
  5. Detroit is listed as taking a WR in the first round.  Don't see it happening.  What tree does Patricia come from?  How many WR's have been drafted from that tree overall in the first round over the past 18 years?  ONE.  That team needs a LB, CB, S, DE and along the interior offensive line.  I do not see Patricia selecting a WR when the difference between the one they have him taking (Tylan Wallace) is not even listed as a first round WR on most Scouting Reports I've read. 
  6. They have Green Bay with the last pick in Round One, selecting a TE.  They have their rookie on the Injured to Return list currently and just spent a decent pick on him.  They have holes on the offensive line, and nobody is convinced any WR not named Adams is going to be a star.  Let's go out on a not so major limb and say in no way do they take a TE in the first round. 

I could nitpick their entire draft, including how they have the team finishing the season, but I digress.  This is just an example of why you should never put any stock in an online site, especially one that charges you money (this article was on Google News free) and offers "insider information" on fantasy sports.  Again, they get paid to write.  It doesn't matter if it's even remotely correct or if they have any clue what they are talking about.  There is MUCH better FREE information on FFToday.com than there is on these crazy pay websites. 

I agree, FFToday is as good as any paysite I've seen. Was a Guru guy but John Hansen left there and that site carries nothing now-and when they do it usually shows up on FFT or this board before that. Were you the one that mentioned awhile back that you go by beat reporters in NFL cities?

18 minutes ago, huskyhater75 said:

I agree, FFToday is as good as any paysite I've seen. Was a Guru guy but John Hansen left there and that site carries nothing now-and when they do it usually shows up on FFT or this board before that. Were you the one that mentioned awhile back that you go by beat reporters in NFL cities?

Yes.  That's where I get all my information.  They traditionally know the Head Coaches and even the GM's & Owners pretty well.  When the Rams were here in St. Louis, our guy had information you would absolutely never find on a main stream media site.  It seems to be the same around the country.  I've found things on players with 'Questionable' tags and some major sleepers this way.  I also follow college football pretty heavily though because of my Dynasty Leagues with the Devy Drafts.  I really don't like the Devy Drafts, at all, but I seemed to be one of only a couple owners against it.  Not a big deal. 

Just now, AxeElf said:

The primary reason that most of them suck is that most of them don't feature Axe Elf.

They don't need you.  Most already have someone creating totally useless stats and garbage information. 

13 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The primary reason that most of them suck is that most of them don't feature Axe Elf.

OMFG..  Dude, you remind me of that Seinfeld episode, where George becomes a hand model.  He's talking with his Agent and a blonde fashion model about a different male hand model, and how he .. left the industry.  Because he (likely physically) loved his hand TOO MUCH!

• Haha 1

Just now, Bills04 said:

OMFG..  Dude, you remind me of that Seinfeld episode, where George becomes a hand model.  He's talking with his Agent and a blonde fashion model about a different male hand model, and how he .. left the industry.  Because he (likely physically) loved his hand TOO MUCH!

I think we've all tried our hands at sex...

If you're going to try your hand at fantasy football, Axe Elf is your Jergens lotion.

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I think we've all tried our hands at sex...

If you're going to try your hand at fantasy football, Axe Elf is your Jergens lotion.

So wait....  Are you implying you want to be rubbed on the co^%$ of fantasy football players???? 

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

So wait....  Are you implying you want to be rubbed on the co^%$ of fantasy football players???? 

You keep your sexual fantasies regarding Axe Elf to yourself, and I will keep my sexual fantasies regarding Axe Elf to myself.

This conversation got awkward quickly.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bills04 said:

He was not master of his domain. Luckily George had no problem with that. He won a contest after all, even if he did cheat. 

On 9/25/2019 at 11:40 AM, AxeElf said:

how many leagues have you won?

1 hour ago, taco breath said:

how many leagues have you won?

He's in 20 leagues this year, show some respect

38 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Lots.

#metoo

I find it hilarious that anyone would pay for FF information.  Seriously? Dudes....this just in: the game is pure luck now, like way more than ever before.  The NFL had changed and become fantasy Unfriendly over the last ten years and it’s worse than ever.  The WR/TE position is a debacle.  Running backs are on pitch counts most of the time and cycle carries with other backs.  I realize this used to happen way back when but it was WAY less common.  The only position that’s fairly consistent is Quarterbacks.  Maybe.  

There is also no insider info anymore.  The internet has ruined hunting down info since it’s all out there for anyone to get with a few clicks.   People that don’t even watch football can field a decent team by letting computer do it for them.  That’s why everyone is in like 17 leagues.  Why not? What’s the point? So go ahead and pay for FF info.  It’s your money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

I find it hilarious that anyone would pay for FF information.  Seriously? Dudes....this just in: the game is pure luck now, like way more than ever before.  The NFL had changed and become fantasy Unfriendly over the last ten years and it’s worse than ever.  The WR/TE position is a debacle.  Running backs are on pitch counts most of the time and cycle carries with other backs.  I realize this used to happen way back when but it was WAY less common.  The only position that’s fairly consistent is Quarterbacks.  Maybe.  

There is also no insider info anymore.  The internet has ruined hunting down info since it’s all out there for anyone to get with a few clicks.   People that don’t even watch football can field a decent team by letting computer do it for them.  That’s why everyone is in like 17 leagues.  Why not? What’s the point? So go ahead and pay for FF info.  It’s your money. 

Actually, it's your Mom's money.  She gave it to me for services rendered.

I'll be over by her place later for next year's subscription money.

11 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Actually, it's your Mom's money.  She gave it to me for services rendered.

I'll be over by her place later for next year's subscription money.

Ha, good one.  Well thought out.  Paying her for that would be even more of a waste of your money.  But if you’re into old ladies and that’s all you can get, enjoy.  :)

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, RoadLizard said:

Ehhhh, yes and no.  While the internet has made it more of a crapshoot, it definitely hasn't killed getting good insider information.  I use Google to get to the local newspaper(s).  It only takes a minute and you get WAY better information from local sportwriters than you will ever find on any paysite or even a free fantasy site.  Sunday morning, the guy who covers the Redskins locally was on Sirius Satellite Radio (NFL Channel) and said Washington would pull Keenum if they either got up by a score, down early or Keenum just didn't look good.  Basically, he said the rookie would get his shot as the owner wants him in there sooner rather than later.  All the fantasy sites, including this one, had message boards full of people saying to start Richardson, or others, with McLaurin out.  It was the "hot" insider tip of the weekend.  If you had used other avenues though, like Sirius, or going to the local newspapers, you would have avoided any Redskin at all this week.  Information others don't have is still available.  You just have to be willing to do what many will not, spend an extra hour each week scoping for tidbits of information.  When you get the good tips, you don't post them online (like here).  You keep that info to yourself. 

WR's will balance out, but I don't see much that wasn't anticipated in the offseason.  TE isn't really worse than it was a decade ago.  Same ups and downs.  It's much better now at TE than it was in mid to late 90's.  At least now there are more than a handful of guys who could potentially put points on the board each week. 

Personally, I think we see many more players today that will not play in a game that guys 20 years ago would have.  I'm not saying they are wrong for their decision, only that it muddles the fantasy landscape.  As for insider information, you aren't going to find it on a fantasy football forum or website.  There were plenty of sleepers available this offseason you could have drafted very late and only had to read the newspaper online for the tip.  I think those of us that grew up actually reading newspapers have sort of an advantage over the generation that was raised with the internet.  We know the value of the relationships between local sports writers and the teams.  It's invaluable.  You don't find that info on websites though and many younger people would never think to check out local newspapers for info.  It's just not something they grew up doing. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Ehhhh, yes and no.  While the internet has made it more of a crapshoot, it definitely hasn't killed getting good insider information.  I use Google to get to the local newspaper(s).  It only takes a minute and you get WAY better information from local sportwriters than you will ever find on any paysite or even a free fantasy site.  Sunday morning, the guy who covers the Redskins locally was on Sirius Satellite Radio (NFL Channel) and said Washington would pull Keenum if they either got up by a score, down early or Keenum just didn't look good.  Basically, he said the rookie would get his shot as the owner wants him in there sooner rather than later.  All the fantasy sites, including this one, had message boards full of people saying to start Richardson, or others, with McLaurin out.  It was the "hot" insider tip of the weekend.  If you had used other avenues though, like Sirius, or going to the local newspapers, you would have avoided any Redskin at all this week.  Information others don't have is still available.  You just have to be willing to do what many will not, spend an extra hour each week scoping for tidbits of information.  When you get the good tips, you don't post them online (like here).  You keep that info to yourself. 

WR's will balance out, but I don't see much that wasn't anticipated in the offseason.  TE isn't really worse than it was a decade ago.  Same ups and downs.  It's much better now at TE than it was in mid to late 90's.  At least now there are more than a handful of guys who could potentially put points on the board each week. 

Personally, I think we see many more players today that will not play in a game that guys 20 years ago would have.  I'm not saying they are wrong for their decision, only that it muddles the fantasy landscape.  As for insider information, you aren't going to find it on a fantasy football forum or website.  There were plenty of sleepers available this offseason you could have drafted very late and only had to read the newspaper online for the tip.  I think those of us that grew up actually reading newspapers have sort of an advantage over the generation that was raised with the internet.  We know the value of the relationships between local sports writers and the teams.  It's invaluable.  You don't find that info on websites though and many younger people would never think to check out local newspapers for info.  It's just not something they grew up doing. 

Because one guy on one radio show suggested that the Redskins might pull Keenum for their rookie QB, that means that there are hidden nuggets of information available if you just know where to look?  I mean, of course there are--but the trick is figuring out which are nuggets of golden information and which are nuggets of grassy horse manure--and in the end, having ALL the information to choose from amounts to having NO information of any real value.

Don't you think there might have been some writer/reporter in the Tennessee area who suggested that the Titans might give Tannehill a chance at QB if Mariota came out sucking?  I bet there was.  If that had happened, the rest of us would have been fools because we didn't listen to Podunk Reporter who told us this was going to happen?

Somebody probly suggested you should start AJ Brown.  A lot of people said to sit Chris Godwin, but someone, somewhere, probly said to start him anyway.  You just had to know where to look.  And on and on.  Pretty much every side to every situation is forecast somewhere, you just have to know where to look.

It's just like the discussion we had on McLaurin.  Sure, some local Washington reporters thought he had potential.  Local Chiefs reporters encouraged you to draft Darwin Thompson, because he looked like the best RB in camp.  Oakland reporters (and HBO) had everyone excited about Keelan Doss, and then he didn't make the team.

It's easy to tell where the "good information" was in hindsight, but the only method for divining good information in foresight is still the time-tested and champion-approved method of listening to Axe Elf.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:55 AM, oldtimer said:

Some good points here - I will give you that.  The local paper angle for info is appreciated and still valid.  I suppose you can dig deep for some extra info or possibly a sneaky draft pick but ultimately 95% of it is out there for anyone with a cell phone which is everyone! 

As for WR/TE?  I disagree there.  The ball is much more distributed these days.  Its a passing league  and the spread or package offense is the in thing.  The concept of a true WR1 or even a WR2 just isnt the same.  Sure, guys can rack up catches like a WR1 but the TDs are down and much less reliable.  Once in the red zone you get backup TEs and WR5s stealing TDs.  Its brutal, IMO.  Guess thats why leagues have all switched to PPR which I find obnoxious and too point-heavy.  Running backs are sort of in the same boat.  They just dont last like they used to.  The warrior RBs are gone.  Guys like Gurley explode for a few seasons and then tail off.... and then become RB3s at best.  Not sure whats going on but thats how it feels out there.  Gues Im used to our old school league that started in 1988.  Talk about a much more standard offense!  One main RB that got 90% of the carries.  A WR1 and a WR2 along with a TE1.  You might see a WR3 on the field with 3rd and long.  That was it.  This spread BS was NOT a thing. 

22 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

Some good points here - I will give you that.  The local paper angle for info is appreciated and still valid.  I suppose you can dig deep for some extra info or possibly a sneaky draft pick but ultimately 95% of it is out there for anyone with a cell phone which is everyone! 

As for WR/TE?  I disagree there.  The ball is much more distributed these days.  Its a passing league  and the spread or package offense is the in thing.  The concept of a true WR1 or even a WR2 just isnt the same.  Sure, guys can rack up catches like a WR1 but the TDs are down and much less reliable.  Once in the red zone you get backup TEs and WR5s stealing TDs.  Its brutal, IMO.  Guess thats why leagues have all switched to PPR which I find obnoxious and too point-heavy.  Running backs are sort of in the same boat.  They just dont last like they used to.  The warrior RBs are gone.  Guys like Gurley explode for a few seasons and then tail off.... and then become RB3s at best.  Not sure whats going on but thats how it feels out there.  Gues Im used to our old school league that started in 1988.  Talk about a much more standard offense!  One main RB that got 90% of the carries.  A WR1 and a WR2 along with a TE1.  You might see a WR3 on the field with 3rd and long.  That was it.  This spread BS was NOT a thing. 

1988? Ah the good old days where you waited for the Monday (or if you had MNF players) or Tuesday newspaper to see if you'd won. Then the commish would hand write (or type) the results out and you'd get them on Thursday.

On 10/1/2019 at 11:31 AM, AxeElf said:

It's easy to tell where the "good information" was in hindsight, but the only method for divining good information in foresight is still the time-tested and champion-approved method of listening to Axe Elf.

You mean that guy that called anyone a chimp for taking a late round flyer on DJ Chark? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rallo said:

You mean that guy that called anyone a chimp for taking a late round flyer on DJ Chark? 

You must have him confused with someone else.

Late round fliers on ANYONE are acceptable, as long as the ones that hit aren't later touted as players who "should" have been drafted in every league.

The chimps are the ones who draft guys like David Montgomery or Duke Johnson to be their RB1.

15 hours ago, huskyhater75 said:

1988? Ah the good old days where you waited for the Monday (or if you had MNF players) or Tuesday newspaper to see if you'd won. Then the commish would hand write (or type) the results out and you'd get them on Thursday.

You go it, my man! Honestly, it was a pain in the ass.....trust me, lol.  But, the players were more reliable.  I dug through some old paperwork and we actually had a our first "real" season with 12 teams and proper league dues in 1991.  For three years we tested things out.  Either way, it was a different sport then. 

18 hours ago, AxeElf said:

You must have him confused with someone else.

Late round fliers on ANYONE are acceptable, as long as the ones that hit aren't later touted as players who "should" have been drafted in every league.

The chimps are the ones who draft guys like David Montgomery or Duke Johnson to be their RB1.

How soon you forget.  There is an entire thread where you called anyone a chimp who actually drafted DJ Chark, Terry McLaurin, Dalvin Cook and a handful of others.  Go look it up.  I think everyone on the message board recalls the thread.  Not only did you say drafting them was strictly an amateur move, but if anyone knew what they were doing, they wouldn't draft them at all.  You specifically said Chark and McLaurin were wasted roster space and ragged on several people posting here for drafting them, even as a late round flier.  AxeElf only posts total crap, then wants to pop in a month later and act like it never said the things it said.  Way to contribute.

I watch all the FF shows during the season. Why? I don't know. All i get is "Zeke Elliott is a must start this week!" Really? anyone drafted in the first round is a must start 99% of the time.

Give me information I don't know.... Like, "I know you wanna start Ekeler in the flex but Fuller V is a must start vs the Falcon's. He's gonna go for 100+ yards and 2-3 TD's!"

That's info I'd pay for....

19 hours ago, oldtimer said:

There is an entire thread where you called anyone a chimp who actually drafted DJ Chark, Terry McLaurin, Dalvin Cook and a handful of others.

You must have me confused with someone else.  Or you're outright lying.  Whichever.

There is an entire thread where you called anyone a chimp who actually drafted DJ Chark, Terry McLaurin, Dalvin Cook and a handful of others.  Go look it up.  I think everyone on the message board recalls the thread.

No, there isn't, and no one remembers it because it only happened in your fevered imagination.  Otherwise you would quote it, or link to it, or substantiate your claim in some way, other than just saying, "I think everyone remembers it, go look it up."

AxeElf only posts total crap...

I don't understand why you would want to play the Grinch to the Santa Claus of Fantasy Football, Axe Elf, who cheerfully distributes championships from his big bag of fantasy wisdom to all the attentive boys and girls.  Do you just get a kick out of being the bad guy or something?