Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

Calvin Ridley

well, ridley is listed on the injury report this week.   Maybe he got hurt.

13 minutes ago, Spinner said:

Anyone know why Ridley had only 1 target in WK3?

Because Ryan only threw the ball to him one time.

• Like 1

He disappears at times. Did it last year too. I don’t watch enough of the Falcons to know whether it’s him, Ryan, offensive game plan or what 

Just read on another site that the coach is taking the blame for not targeting him more in the game plan. 

Now on the other side of the coin, Ridley is saying he had a hard time getting open vs the Colts zone def.  

i hope it’s more the coaches fault , because of Ridley can’t get open vs the Colts sec, he might have a problem. 

8 hours ago, Spinner said:

Anyone know why Ridley had only 1 target in WK3?

thx

There is an article on Rotoworld about it.  The Coordinator said he should have gotten him more involved, but Ridley himself said he was not comfortable playing against the Colts Zone Defense and it confused him.  He couldn't find any holes and said he felt as though he was covered wherever he went.  At least he admitted it....  I think you can expect his targets to go back to normal this weekend.  It's pretty obvious they can't win without him playing Robin to Julio's Batman.  Not these days anyway. 

there are some WR's who play better vs man Defense and some who play better vs zone.

most WR's have an easier time with zone once they figure out where the soft spot is.  

Maybe he couldnt figure it out?

Dirk Koetter (Falcons OC) said it was his fault for not including Ridley more in week 3 but Ridley went on to say he had a hard time getting open. Bad news is he had a hard time beating zone defense. Good news is lack of targets was not by design. He is now dealing with a hip issue, limited in practice Wednesday. 

Thinking about MVS over Ridley this week due to matchup. Packers get that atrocious Eagles secondary. Only bad thing is it is TNF.

55 minutes ago, JediMaster said:

Dirk Koetter (Falcons OC) said it was his fault for not including Ridley more in week 3 but Ridley went on to say he had a hard time getting open. Bad news is he had a hard time beating zone defense. Good news is lack of targets was not by design. He is now dealing with a hip issue, limited in practice Wednesday. 

Thinking about MVS over Ridley this week due to matchup. Packers get that atrocious Eagles secondary. Only bad thing is it is TNF.

well, some players take time to figure out where they need to be. 

Running a pattern vs man D is completely different than running patterns vs zone D.

in Zone, you find the soft spot and sit there.    (usually between or in front of 2 defenders where the largest gap is)

so when running your pattern, you find that soft spot in the zone and target that location.   usually that's where the QB throws the ball, but if you run past the spot or run your pattern too deep or too shallow (depending on the spot in the zone coverage) you can run the risk of an INT if the QB throws you the ball.

its not as easy as you think.

Veteran WR's usually get it.   rookie's and second year guys?  not always.

I see plenty of players make the mistakes listed above with disasterous results because the WR broke off on his route at the wrong spot, or didnt stop at the soft spot and then the throw was behind him.

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It's pretty obvious they can't win without him playing Robin to Julio's Batman.

Robin?  I think he's the Ridleyer to Julio's Batman.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrG said:

He’s going to see. A LOT more zone now.

I doubt it.  hes not the most dangerous WR on this team.   The defense will only play zone if they think it will hinder Julio.

BTW: did anyone watch the game?   did the Colts actually play a zone D?   He could just be feeding a line to the dude giving him the interview.

I'd laugh hard if the colts actually played man D all game.

15 hours ago, Ray_T said:

BTW: did anyone watch the game?   did the Colts actually play a zone D?   He could just be feeding a line to the dude giving him the interview.

I'd laugh hard if the colts actually played man D all game.

They did play Zone throughout the entire game.  It's their defensive system.  They don't have great man-to-man Corners in Indy, but that defensive backfield plays excellent as a unit overall, so they stick with Zone.  During their playoff game against the Texans, they did something pretty cool with their Zone though.  They had someone shadow Nuk, but also played zone.  Ultimately, it was taking a Linebacker off the field so they could play their normal zone scheme, but make certain they had someone on Hopkins at all times as well.  It was the first time I had seen that and it worked pretty well. 

Some of Ridley's numbers are the QB's fault for this game.  The WR is supposed to have watched enough tape to find the holes in the Zone.  Theoretically, there should always be a small gap between the zones the defensive backs patrol.  When the WR hits that area, the QB is supposed to get him the ball.  In all honesty, he didn't look like he was always covered and if you can't throw to your WR in a zone,  there is either a trust issue or the QB had as much of a problem reading the defense as the WR did. 

a smart coordinator knows how to open things up in a zone.

Generally zone Defenders play as wide as the widest player and as deep as the deepest player in their zone.    so offensive coordinators can have one WR run what they call a clearing route to take the defender deep into his zone, and run another player underneath to get the shorter pass. 

if you play it right, you can dink and dunk your way all the way down the field.

or, you run a guy down the edge of one zone, and the far edge of the other zone to keep the defenders spread apart, and then have a RB or TE run right up that gap (or up the seam as some would say)

Might say more about Ridley and a injury issue.