Sign in to follow this  
[echo]

Taysom Hill.. not sacked?

I have the Dallas D/ST.. and Hill lined up at qb several times, with a RB next to him.. when Hill was stopped behind the line.. it was a rush, not a Sack.. but why?

yo no comprendo, es muy mal.

Without seeing film of the plays in question, I would assume it was because he had tucked the ball and was running towards the line of scrimmage rather than dropping back to pass when he was stopped behind the line.  Players don't get sacked on a running play.  It would be kind of odd to say that Le'Veon Bell got sacked when he takes a direct snap and runs forward but gets stopped behind the line.

re: Bell, with a direct snap.. I totally agree, which is why when he was alone in the backfield, it was clearly a rush, but when you add Kamara or Murray beside him.. it gets cloudy for me..

It just depends on if it's a rushing play or not. Just because a QB gets tackled for a loss doesn't mean it's a sack.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:55 AM, polecatt said:

It just depends on if it's a rushing play or not. Just because a QB gets tackled for a loss doesn't mean it's a sack.

Sure. And the position that player is listed as, is erroneous as well.

To be fair, I wonder who is the almighty one that makes the call for statistical purposes?

7 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

To be fair, I wonder who is the almighty one that makes the call for statistical purposes?

They are called "sports statisticians," and you can become one at Purdue University (among other places).

Sports statisticians employed by the NFL watch the games and make the decisions about how game stats are recorded.  Game film is then reviewed by other sports statisticians to confirm the decisions made during the games--this is sometimes why a "stat correction" will be applied a few days after the games have been played, when the game statistics are certified "official."