Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Maher nails it

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/09/30/magazine/bill-maher-interview.html

Most late-night hosts don’t criticize both the right and the left as much as you do. Why do you think that is? It’s hard to answer that question without sounding self-serving. I will say this: Our studio audience is not representative of liberals across the country. Your paper and The Atlantic had 

long articles1
 in the last year saying that 80 percent of Americans think this politically correct BS has gone too far. But the people on Twitter are the people who control the media a lot. They’re the millennials who probably grew up with helicopter parents who afforded them a sense of entitlement. They are certainly more fragile than previous generations. Trigger warnings. Safe spaces. Crying rooms. Microaggressions. That crowd feels like anything that upsets their tender sensibilities is completely out of line.

Isn’t it important to distinguish between the fundamental arguments being made in favor of those sensibilities and the people being loudest on social media about them? Yes. The most important thing that the Democrats can do to win the next election is to broom this element out of their party and stand up to the Twitter mob and the ultrawoke. And I don’t like the term “woke,” because it implies I am asleep. I was woke before some of these people were born. I grew up in a household with two liberal parents who were 

ahead of their time
 My father and mother told me about civil rights. I knew what the right thing was. The difference is that liberals protect people, and P.C. people protect feelings. They don’t do anything. They’re pointing at other people who are somehow falling short of their standards, which could have changed three weeks ago. They’re constantly moving the goalposts so they can go, “Gotcha!”

You’ve talked about the negative effects of the “Twitter mob” on your show, but you’ve also talked about how most people don’t care what’s on Twitter. If people don’t care about the Twitter conversation, why bother railing against it? Because the Twitter-mob mentality has an effect on the rest of the world. Everyone fears the wrath of the Twitter mob and the social justice warriors and the P.C. police. Religions always talk about the one true religion. Now on the left we have the one true opinion. If you go against that, you do so at your peril. That’s why the air on the left is becoming stale. I railed for years against the Fox News bubble, and that is as strong as ever, but I didn’t think it would get this bad on the left. Comedians are afraid to make jokes in clubs, because somebody will tape it and send it out on Twitter and get the mob after you.

That’s a concern we often hear from comedians these days. How much of that fear is coming from comedians still adjusting to the reality of there being possible consequences for their material? You can still make whatever joke you want. The difference is that more people are calling you out if they find it offensive. That’s naïve. You can make the joke if you don’t mind giving up your career or being fired. Come on. The politically correct people are not concerned about social justice. They care about putting scalps on the wall. Liam Neeson. 

Remember that?4
 Are we at this place where we can’t admit that we’ve ever had bad thoughts and gotten over them and become a better person? You can’t judge today by yesterday. We evolve.

Sonthe guy who is railing about PC will probably go all in for Warren, who is as PC as it gets. Ok then. 

I think I heard him speak to this, I think he mostly has great insights, while I don't always agree with him I do appreciate that he seems to be more rational than most.

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sonthe guy who is railing about PC will probably go all in for Warren, who is as PC as it gets. Ok then. 

I think you’re confusing liberal with PC. They aren’t necessarily the same thing though I do admit the two often go hand in hand these days. That’s exactly what Maher is lamenting 

25 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

wow. you really are bigly obtuse

When a VERY vocal, left leaning liberal starts to challenge the thinking in his own party, you know you're not crazy for thinking liberals might be...well.....crazy

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

When a VERY vocal, left leaning liberal starts to challenge the thinking in his own party, you know you're not crazy for thinking liberals might be...well.....crazy

He has been for a long time, mostly against the PC bullshit. Remember the name of his original show?

23 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I think you’re confusing liberal with PC. They aren’t necessarily the same thing though I do admit the two often go hand in hand these days. That’s exactly what Maher is lamenting 

Oh, so Warren is a classic liberal, not a PC warrior? She's all PC, all the time. Come on man 

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

He has been for a long time, mostly against the PC bullshit. Remember the name of his original show?

Oh I know...and he's borderline watchable because of it.  he will at least call out the BS when he sees it.   Still way too left for my tastes.

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

Oh I know...and he's borderline watchable because of it.  he will at least call out the BS when he sees it.   Still way too left for my tastes.

And he will still be all in for PC candidates. Already is. moat of his panel spout non-stop PC BS. It's like whenhe rails about huge fat peiple and then a week later has Michael Moore on and says nothing to him. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Oh, so Warren is a classic liberal, not a PC warrior? She's all PC, all the time. Come on man 

News to me. I see her as somewhat close to Bernie, someone who thinks that’s all bullsh1t distracting from the real issues. Maybe I have her pegged wrong but I don’t think so

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

News to me. I see her as somewhat close to Bernie, someone who thinks that’s all bullsh1t distracting from the real issues. Maybe I have her pegged wrong but I don’t think so

Warren being PC is  news to you? How did you react to the water is wet revelation? 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Warren being PC is  news to you? How did you react to the water is wet revelation? 

95% of the left is PC.   Unless it hits close to home, then all of a sudden they act like they had no idea the world was THAT PC

On Thursday, Presidential hopeful Elizabeth Warren, who has been steadily rising in the polls, tweeted an article about a new law in New Hampshire that will allow people to get an X on their driver’s licenses instead of the traditional male or female designator. “This is an important step to ensure that non-binary Americans are seen and respected,” Warren tweeted. “Way to go, New Hampshire. All states should do the same.”

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/07/26/40876911/eliabeth-warren-goes-all-in-on-the-woke-vote

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) referred to “Latinx” Americans in the opening moments of the first Democratic primary debate Wednesday night, a sign the term will likely be used by candidates over the course of the 2020 cycle. Progressives in the party’s base are undoubtedly familiar with it, but plenty of viewers probably heard the word for the first time on Wednesday.

Latinx is a gender-neutral substitute for Latino/Latina. It’s popular in academic circles, but is used increasingly as the politically correct label by progressives in Democratic politics. Merriam-Webster added the term to its dictionary in September 2018. The word can be used to describe people who identify as “non-binary,” or more broadly as a sex-neutral descriptor.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/06/26/elizabeth-warren-uses-pc-term-latinx-first-dem-debate-will-catch/

I've seen enough of B.M. through the years to know that even when he's right he should still get his smug face popped!

I like his theory about why the Beatles broke up.   :thumbsup:

Also, good article.  I didn't catch who the interviewer was but he was clearly super lefty, which I think made Maher come off as more center/right than he really is.  

Mahar is part of the problem and wants now to be part of the solution.  Methinks you opened pandoras box Bill.  Can't say the right didn't warn you, over and over and over.

42 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Mahar is part of the problem and wants now to be part of the solution.  Methinks you opened pandoras box Bill.  Can't say the right didn't warn you, over and over and over.

It is deeply gratifying to see what I observe to be a strong liberal coming back around to sanity, gives one some hope....

34 minutes ago, RLLD said:

It is deeply gratifying to see what I observe to be a strong liberal coming back around to sanity, gives one some hope....

Conservatives for 30 years - "this is going to go well for your guys"

Maher 30 years later - "this isn't going well"

Libs - "Maher nails it"

:lol: