Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

I Challenge You Geeks!

5 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Who hacked t.j. booker's account?  :dunno:

Honcho probably made the same comment in some obscure thread 4 weeks ago.  How dare you.

8 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Did nothing active yesterday.  

Started today with 100 push ups and 100 crunches then took the dog for a brisk walk.  

I walked 11 miles, did 8 push-ups (4 rest then 4) and this 3 times over the weekend:

I also bought a lot of healthy foods. So far I look exactly the same, but I'm hopeful by the end of the month I'll exercise more and see some results.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reality said:

Honcho probably made the same comment in some obscure thread 4 weeks ago.  How dare you.

:D

Day 7:  Did my "plateau run" in 35:20.  A week ago it took me 39:02.  I didn't expect that much progress!  Also 125 of the pu/rt/s sequence.  

Last night we had a nice dinner with our kids (all out of the house) to celebrate our 26th anniversary, no alcohol.  That was the first somewhat "social" event I thought might turn into a cheat day, but we didn't.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Before and after pictures would have been a nice addition.

4 weeks isn't that much unless you're starting from scratch.  I don't know that I'll see a ton of diff but who knows... a little leaner would be nice.

I went from 230 lbs on May 1st to 218 currently. Actually dropped a few more than I wanted to. Wanted to be in the low 220's.  I will probably be 230 lbs again by next May. I started my 'football season diet' a few weeks ago. Wings, cheesesteaks, and fries way more often than is healthy for a person.  That'll continue through the winter and early spring until I go back into fine tune mode.

I'm a little late to this party, but good luck to all who are trying to better themselves and be more healthy.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Day 6 I walked 2,.2 miles.

Day 7, I pushed a 160 pound person a little over two miles around a botanical garden,. 

Day 8, I did my deep breathing, cold shower, meditation, and pushups. I walked over a mile. 

I definitely need to kick it up a notch or 10. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Didn’t do crap today. 

Same.  I had planned tomorrow to be an off day, but life happened and next thing I knew it was dinner time.  Back at it tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Just finished up my usual 45 minutes full body workout on my pilates reformer. I do this Mon/Wed/Fri and on Tue/Thu  I run. Saturday is a rest/cheat meal day and Sunday we either hike or trail run.

Keep up the excellent work guys and girl! :cheers:

On a side note, I queued up Flo Rida Essentials on my Apple Music workout playlist... Damn, I forgot how many good songs they have.

• Like 2

Day 9:  Plateau run, 34:29.  Day 0 was 39.02, I've improved about 12% in 10 days.  At some point I'll hit a minimum I presume.

Also swapped out the pushups and squats for bent over 2-arm rows today (great for back, biceps, and hamstrings), 150 of those and the twists.

Today is my 26th anniversary, another test for Sober October as my wife and I are going out to eat.  Going to sushi which will be less tempting than say a nice steak house, where a red wine or two would be darn near required.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Day 9:  Plateau run, 34:29.  Day 0 was 39.02, I've improved about 12% in 10 days.  At some point I'll hit a minimum I presume.

Also swapped out the pushups and squats for bent over 2-arm rows today (great for back, biceps, and hamstrings), 150 of those and the twists.

Today is my 26th anniversary, another test for Sober October as my wife and I are going out to eat.  Going to sushi which will be less tempting than say a nice steak house, where a red wine or two would be darn near required.  :thumbsup:

Happy anniversary.  And don't be afraid to have a drink with your anniversary dinner. It's not going to kill you as long as you stay on track otherwise.

5 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Happy anniversary.  And don't be afraid to have a drink with your anniversary dinner. It's not going to kill you as long as you stay on track otherwise.

Thanks.  I appreciate the drink idea but we were drinking every night; my wife and my plan is to not drink at all in October to show myself that I don't "need" to drink, including celebrations/events.  Which kinda sucks because we have at least 3 more events this month where we will be surrounded by other people drinking.

Come November I'll probably re-introduce it infrequently, but I dunno.  I've been losing weight since I started, maybe I'll just stay dry.  :dunno:

17 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Sounds like you may qualify for vigorous sects with jerry's wife as well.  :thumbsup:

Just don't tell her you're a jobless hobo first.  :(

7 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Sounds like you may qualify for vigorous sects with jerry's wife as well.  :thumbsup:

Just don't tell her you're a jobless hobo first.  :(

Quite the opposite, she has been quite... supportive recently with current events.  :banana:

Happy anniversary Jerry!  Congrats on finding someone who could tolerate you for this long. 😝 💋

Also, good for you for giving up all alcohol this month. I don’t think I could live in a world without wine. Although, I do limit myself to 5oz and only on days I run... because running sucks. I have a Swiftly shirt that says “I run for cheese” but really, I run for wine. 😁

35 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Happy anniversary Jerry!  Congrats on finding someone who could tolerate you for this long. 😝 💋

Also, good for you for giving up all alcohol this month. I don’t think I could live in a world without wine. Although, I do limit myself to 5oz and only on days I run... because running sucks. I have a Swiftly shirt that says “I run for cheese” but really, I run for wine. 😁

Thanks OM!  🤪 My wife and I each have a workout shirt that says "Earn Your Booze," guaranteed to get a comment from strangers on a hiking trail.

Like I said, it was time for a detox.  :thumbsup:

Walked the dog this morning for 45 min.  

Did some curls, flys, squats and shoulder presses during a break at work.  My right arm and hand both hurt now.  

I walked 30 minutes yesterday.

• Like 1

Day 10:  HIIT + 100 pu/rt/s.  I was supposed to do 150 but we already did 100 pushups in the HIIT class so I backed off.

Day 11:  Did a hot "sculpt" class which was part pilates, part yoga, with dumbbells.  Tough class, lots of core.  My body is worn out so I didn't do anything extra.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Day 10:  HIIT + 100 pu/rt/s.  I was supposed to do 150 but we already did 100 pushups in the HIIT class so I backed off.

Day 11:  Did a hot "sculpt" class which was part pilates, part yoga, with dumbbells.  Tough class, lots of core.  My body is worn out so I didn't do anything extra.

Being unemployed got me in the best shape of my life 5 years ago. 7 days a week 2 to 4 hrs a day lifting and cardio. I think I need to be unemployed again for a bit. :lol:

Day 12 (Sat):  60 minutes HIIT

Day 13:  Plateau run (34:06, best yet).  Also 150 pu/rt/bent rows (instead of squats, since I ran/hiked).  I did these different, tabata format.  Set my timer to 120 sets of 10 seconds.  In each subsequent interval I did 5 pushups, 5 twists, 5 rows, rest.  Repeat 30 times.  Finished it all in 20 minutes.  I liked it, that's what I'll do moving forward.

Day 14:  75 minutes hot yoga at a different place.  I feel loyal to my previous place which is relatively new and a nice little pixie of an owner/instructor is trying to get it off the ground, so I want to support her.  But her schedule is not that great.  The new place is actually my old place when I went 5+ years ago.  There were about 12-15 people in there and I recognized half of them, except they looked 5+ years older.  I'm sure they thought the same of me.  🤪  One chick is still smoking hot, bounce a quarter off of her abs and ass, I lucked into being next to her.  Several hardbodies actually, it is a wealthier section of town.  And then there is this old guy, gotta be 70's, heavy set, still plugging away although unable to do a lot of the poses.  I think it is great, use it or lose it. :thumbsup:

In two weeks I've worked out all but one day (well, two if I discount the yard work day).  Many of them two workouts per day.  My body is transforming and I've lost weight in a visible way.  Still no booze after 2 weeks.  Diet is... a little better, but I'm not going crazy healthy.  I find that when I'm working out a lot I don't want to eat crap because I feel like I'll lose the benefits from all of the work.  But mostly I think my improvement is from the exercise and lack of drinking.

• Like 1

Did HIIT / YOGA / HIIT the past 3 days.  Today is an off day as I'm on a plane to Detroit for my wife's HS reunion.  Need to do some workout the next few days, prolly the pushup thingy.  Also need to not eat like crap, starting off good with a salad but it will be downhill from here. 

I need to check in. 

I have been sick with some unknown crud. Weak, and a little wobbly. 

The good news is I have lost weight. One day I didn't eat at all and other days I ate very little. 

I am doing better and looking forward to some long walks soon. 🙂 

It will be no alcohol for 3 weeks this coming Sunday.  One problem, I'm off next week...  No way I get through a week of being off without drinking.  I'll probably call it Sunday, 3 weeks is a good run.

One thing I have learned, drinking is solely responsible for my weight.  My workouts and diet have been consistent, without drinking beer, I have lost 8 pounds in that time.  I was pretty much plateaued before this, I was fine with my weight before but, now it's coming off without much or extra effort.  I think, through this process, I'm going to try not to mindlessly drink anymore.  By that, I mean, be mindful of how many I've had, not drink consecutive days,  etc. I'm sure after I crack my first one this will all go out the window but, sitting here typing it out, hopefully, will plant the seed.

/Rant Off Glad I did it. 

Crap.  I forgot about this.  I have been walking the dog daily, doing the 100 push ups and crunches twice per week, and chasing the kids around the football field 5 nights/week. Nothing real structured. 

I haven't been exercising. :thumbsdown:

Lifted 3 times this week.  I tweaked my bicep tendon(the one I tore 7 months ago).  It's been really giving me sh!t this week.  Achy as fuh...

I actually went to LA Fitness this weekend: 2 hrs

Heading back from our weekend in Detroit.  Two days of long walking but nothing I would call strenuous.  Also ate like crap.  No booze though including my wife's reunion which was surprisingly easy.  Next challenge is opening game Wednesday at the Suns arena, yet another activity tied to drinking.  

Like Reality I had lost 6 pounds (176 to 170) which I attribute mostly to not drinking.  I'm sure I gained much of it back but it will come off.  I seemed to be plateauing around 170 which I'm happy with.

Also I'm thinking of starting up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. 

Stepped in a hole at the goat ranch of a youth football field my kids were playing on Sat.  My Achilles has been killing me ever since.  Wrapped it up (didn't help) walked the dog over to the vet to drop her off for grooming, started pouring on the way home so I had to half jog-half limp for about a mile and a half to get home.   Still ended up cold and wet.  Now I can barely walk.  

I also ate 2 pieces of cake and 2 scoops of ice cream at 1 am. So...

• Haha 1

Day 21 since I accepted mmmbeer’s challenge. Every day I have been walking at least 20 minutes. I walk to Carl’s Jr. I walk to Arby’s. I walk to Old Country Buffet. Then I come home and do BONUS exercises with my dumbbell. 

Already I look leaner, stronger, faster. The transformation is incredible. I even think I can see some abs peeking through! I will wait til the end of the month to do a weigh-in but I expect to have lost a LOT of weight.

Thank you mmmmbeer for challenging me.

You have changed my life. :bandana: 

• Like 1