Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Who believes in this whole gluten sensitivity/Celiac thing?

For a long time, I thought the gluten sensitivity thing was just some fad and something that weirdo moms made up.  Kinda reminds me of the whole anti-vax thing.

Recently, this dude I work with had some GI issues and got tested.  His bloodwork showed high numbers on some gluten test and an endoscopy showed damage to his villi in his small intestine.  So is it legit? Anyone know someone who suffers from it?

My son is affected by it. He will shlt his brains out and his stomach will be really upset because of gluten. Unfortunately the little guy is hyper allergic to about everything. Nuts, bananas, gluten wheat, any dairy, any pet, and whool. Grass used to affect him but I don't think it's as bad any more. 

My daughter has a friend on her field hockey team in college that has Celiac disease...  If she eats anything with gluten in it (or prepared with other stuff around gluten), she gets very very sick and must go to the emergency room...

It is so bad that cafeteria at the college got a microwave that only she can use to warm/cook food if she wants in something that has not been touched by gluten...

Yep it makes me and my sister real sick and my grandfather and my dad were bakers.

Many issues at play here.  Partly that the wheat grown in the USA has been genetically modified to produce bigger wheat plants which aren't very good for humans.

Then monsanto loads up the plants with ghysophate a terrible cancer causing chemical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

My son is affected by it. He will shlt his brains out and his stomach will be really upset because of gluten. Unfortunately the little guy is hyper allergic to about everything. Nuts, bananas, gluten wheat, any dairy, any pet, and whool. Grass used to affect him but I don't think it's as bad any more. 

Why would you let your kid eat grass? :wacko: 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

How old?  Will he outgrow the gluten thing?

one word.............. GLYPHOSATES ☠️

Its is legit....in a very small amount of people.  Nowadays everyone wants to feel special, and that includes having stupid diseases / ailments etc.

Including but not limited to....carpal tunnel(remember how big THAT dumb sh!t got for a while?), lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant(they will stop short of calling it Celiacs disease, because then it becomes very real).   Even have people now saying they feel ill when they eat meat.

So yeah it's real, however just because you get a headache when you eat a donut or fart a lot when you drink milk doesn't mean you have some ailment.

People suck--especially millennials

8 minutes ago, posty said:

My daughter has a friend on her field hockey team in college that has Celiac disease...  If she eats anything with gluten in it (or prepared with other stuff around gluten), she gets very very sick and must go to the emergency room...

It is so bad that cafeteria at the college got a microwave that only she can use to warm/cook food if she wants in something that has not been touched by gluten...

This is so strange to me.  Maybe I never knew anyone it affected, but I never even heard of it until like 5 years ago. This dude at work says that lots of people have the gene for it, and something can trigger it later in like like stress or trauma.  Really?  I dunno.

5 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

How old?  Will he outgrow the gluten thing?

He is 2. I'm not sure if he will or not. Allergies are so random. Some people outgrow an allergy while some won't outgrow the same one. Some develop one later in life whole some don't 

5 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

This is so strange to me.  Maybe I never knew anyone it affected, but I never even heard of it until like 5 years ago. This dude at work says that lots of people have the gene for it, and something can trigger it later in like like stress or trauma.  Really?  I dunno.

Yeah I am not sure what triggers it either...  Until we met her, I thought it was fake as well, but I see it differently now after talking with her and her parents...

21 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Its is legit....in a very small amount of people.  Nowadays everyone wants to feel special, and that includes having stupid diseases / ailments etc.

Including but not limited to....carpal tunnel(remember how big THAT dumb sh!t got for a while?), lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant(they will stop short of calling it Celiacs disease, because then it becomes very real).   Even have people now saying they feel ill when they eat meat.

So yeah it's real, however just because you get a headache when you eat a donut or fart a lot when you drink milk doesn't mean you have some ailment.

People suck--especially millennials

This.  It is very real for those with it.  There are many where it is a preference vs an ailment. 

But Monsanto sprays roundup on everything. So wouldn’t it be fruits and veggies too that would cause issues, not just wheat? Mind you I’m sure they’ve given us all cancer, but that’s a different issue 

34 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

But Monsanto sprays roundup on everything. So wouldn’t it be fruits and veggies too that would cause issues, not just wheat? Mind you I’m sure they’ve given us all cancer, but that’s a different issue 

That article I posted talked about the use of glyphosates in other ways besides the traditional herbicide way.  Also, if used in a certain way, wheat, barley etc are susceptible to being mutated in a way that causes the digestive irritation? Maybe?  I think thats what happens.  I just kinda breezed through it. 

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

That article I posted talked about the use of glyphosates in other ways besides the traditional herbicide way.  Also, if used in a certain way, wheat, barley etc are susceptible to being mutated in a way that causes the digestive irritation? Maybe?  I think thats what happens.  I just kinda breezed through it. 

IIRC they use Roundup to kill the stalks a few days before harvest, which makes it easier (more brittle I'd guess).

Anyway, there is a correlation between Celiac and Type 1 diabetes but my daughter hasn't shown any signs of it yet thankfully. 

My wife's best friend from high school has celiac disease.  She and her husband visited us a little while ago and she had to make sure that any gluten free food also wasn't prepared on the same grill or pan as non-gluten food.  Felt really bad for her as just going out to get bfast required calling ahead and making sure there was no cross contamination.  That would really suck having to worry about everything. 

I don't believe it's as wide spread as people think, but I think people who actually have an allergy are loving all the new foods they can eat.

I puff up like a blowfish if I eat pizza or donuts 🐟

Doctor said I have a pudding deficiency :dunno:

I think that it is overblown, but there are people that legitimately have it.  Some people just like to milk it for all it is worth.  I have someone that works for me that supposedly has it.  She uses up all of her sick days every year and yet she is still a CBF.  

My son has some pretty severe allergies, but they used to be a lot worse.  He used to be allergic to pretty much anything when he was a baby (made him bleed internally) - eggs, milk, soy, meat, etc.  Eventually, he started to grow out of the allergies and now he has a half-dozen or so that are trouble (ginger, shrimp, cherries, lamb, tree nuts, etc.), but he has no problem putting on weight.  

My grandfather suffered from Celiac disease. Came on without warning in his late 60's. He lost like 50lbs for no reason and they did a bunch of testing before they figured it out. Once he got his diet straight he went right back to normal.

Wife would get really sick for years a lot for no reason.   Dr.s could not figure it out.  About 5 years ago she tried going GF and was better 90% of the time.  When it hits it is usually after we go out somewhere and we figure they added something to something she ate.  She is not a GF freak where she always asks for a GF menu so sometimes she eats something she just assumes is GF.  100% real imo.