Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

Police Body Cams Are Exonerating Far More Cops From False Allegations Than They Are Catching Misconduct

I saw this coming a mile away when the idea of cop body-cams were staring to catch on. The only thing shocking about this news story is that a left leaning MSM outlet ran it. So, I gotta give major props where it's due for the LA Times.

---

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-01/lapd-body-worn-cameras-complaints-rise#nt=liA3promoMedium-1col-7030col1-main

Years after spending millions on body-worn cameras, the devices have shown that a small number of Los Angeles police officers committed misconduct while the public levied many false allegations against cops last year, according to a department report.

In 2018, the recordings helped determine officers committed infractions in 56 cases. But police leaders found another 264 complaints against officers “demonstrably false” or resulted in complete exoneration, according to an annual report presented Tuesday to the Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners. Both of those figures rose significantly from five and 79, respectively, the prior year.

(more at the link)

Sadly, not everyone is happy with these findings....

(same link)

-----

A chorus of public speakers told commissioners they had no faith in the report.

Greg Akili, a member of Black Lives Matter, said: “If I wanted to hide something, I’d put it in a report like that.”

Glad to read this.

I really wish there was a way to report these stories without pitting the public against the police or vice versa. Meaning, if a police officer shoots an unarmed victim, the story shouldn't automatically become bad cop vs targeted victim. In turn, when a person feels victimized by a police officer, the story shouldn't also be lying public vs targeted police officer. 

It's too bad they have to wear cameras but thank goodness it helps the truth of matters get flushed out.

• Like 1

Way to spend millions and vilify cops to come to an answer qe already knew. Maybe Maher will now nail it.

Liberals outraged, demand that all body cams be removed immediately. 

"Body cams can't be deciding what happened in a police-officer related event.  The determination of misconduct needs to be left up to the family of the victims and those harassed, injured or killed by police.  Body cams have no place in law enforcement"  

Outside of some small town PD that can't afford it, there's absolutely no reason why every police department in America shouldn't have these.  There's no downside at all.  Either you exonerate a good police officer, find an opportunity for retraining when an officer makes a mistake, or you find and release the bad ones.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Outside of some small town PD that can't afford it, there's absolutely no reason why every police department in America shouldn't have these.  There's no downside at all.  Either you exonerate a good police officer, find an opportunity for retraining when an officer makes a mistake, or you find and release the bad ones.

yep

Not surprising at all.  The vast majority of cops are good people doing a tough job.  Like any other profession, there are some bad apples, but they are in the minority. 

I would think that the body cams help exonerate cops, but also help with getting convictions because some juries now pretty much require video evidence of crimes being committed before they convict.  

12 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

there are some bad apples

Racist!

Good. That’s one of the reasons every decent police force was for this. Protects the good ones 

27 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Technology to protect good cops from false accusations from criminals.  What a country!    :thumbsup:

And protect people (innocent or guilty of committing a crime) the opportunity to live another day.

5 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

"Body cams can't be deciding what happened in a police-officer related event.  The determination of misconduct needs to be left up to the family of the victims and those harassed, injured or killed by police.  Body cams have no place in law enforcement"  

Wtf?  How does anyone say that with a straight face?

I think most people win with these cameras.  bad cops get caught, bad people get held accountable;  unfortunately they won be perfect of course, but I am really happy to hear that one of the bigger lies propagated about law enforcement is being debunked.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I'm pretty sure that even though he put that in quotes, it was not a quote.  I believe he made that up.

6 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Joke right?  Link? I have to see this

10 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Sadly, not everyone is happy with these findings....

(same link)

-----

A chorus of public speakers told commissioners they had no faith in the report.

Greg Akili, a member of Black Lives Matter, said: “If I wanted to hide something, I’d put it in a report like that.”

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

1 hour ago, Kanil said:

I'm pretty sure that even though he put that in quotes, it was not a quote.  I believe he made that up.

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Volty quoted the BLM guy who doesn’t believe th data.  Is that to much different?

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

Volty quoted the BLM guy who doesn’t believe th data.  Is that to much different?

What?

6 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

What?

agreed... what?

5 hours ago, Kanil said:

Yep. Body cams obviously prevent / reduce police misconduct too. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MDC said:

Yep. Body cams obviously prevent / reduce police misconduct too. 

Catching 1 bad cop is a reduction.  Why do blacks want the data to be wrong?

21 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I think you know the answer to that....

49 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

There was one quote from a BLM person in the article. Why are you concluding “the blacks” want the data to be wrong? And why are you asking me? I’m white.

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

You can probably find it on conservative treehouse or something. Link: FFtoday

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

I don't want the data to be wrong. Please try not to group everyone together, especially since the person you all are quoting isn't even black.

Black people are not against the police. Even the protestors are not against the police, they just want fair treatment.

Just now, peenie said:

I don't want the data to be wrong. Please try not to group everyone together, especially since the person you all are quoting isn't even black.

“The blacks.” Jesus fock. This site is so casually racist it barely even registers anymore.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MDC said:

Why are you concluding “the blacks” want the data to be wrong? And why are you asking me? I’m white.

I figured you had an opinion.  Do you know why this BLM guy would want the data to be wrong?

I figured you had an opinion.  Do you know why this BLM guy would want the data to be wrong?

Probably because he thinks police misconduct is more common than its being reported. But your guess is as good as mine.

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

Probably because he thinks police misconduct is more common than its being reported. But your guess is as good as mine.

I’m not sure if you meant to type reCORDED but I suspect you prrposly chose the word reported. 

See, the body cam EVIDENCE proved there are WAY MORE REPORTED than RECORDED, thus the data MUST BE WRONG.  BwahHahahH

He thinks it is.  Why?  Based on what?

Dunno. Send him an email or something.

2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I’m not sure if you meant to type reCORDED but I suspect you prrposly chose the word reported. 

See, the body cam EVIDENCE proved there are WAY MORE REPORTED than RECORDD, thus the data MUST BE WRONG.  BwahHahahH

I only skimmed the article. Is it possible cops who are wearing body cams behave differently? 

If you obey the law you do not have to worry about interacting with police or be concerned with a bodycam. Excluding the DARE officer in 4th grade I have interacted with a police officer once in my life. In the year 2001 I was given a turn signal violation ticket. 

I helped you.  Look up.

I didn’t have any problem. I don’t care why this random guy thinks something. Maybe he’s just a diik.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I didn’t have any problem. I don’t care why this random guy thinks something. Maybe he’s just a diik.

He’s not random. He a big shot in BLM creating a false narrative.  Pay attention.

He’s not random. He a big shot in BLM creating a false narrative.  Pay attention.

Okay. I still don’t care. Plenty of individuals think stupid shiit. A lot of them post here. 

41 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

If you obey the law you do not have to worry about interacting with police or be concerned with a bodycam.

Really? Have you not been paying attention the past few years? A kid was shot dead for playing in the park with toy gun. No police officer asked him a question or demanded that he stand up with his hands up, they just saw him and shot him. A guy was standing in Walmart looking at paper towels holding a toy machine gun that was sold at Walmart, and he was shot dead, no questions, no stop, no hey what are you doing, they just saw him and shot him. In both incidents no one had even been injured with the toy guns.

A psychiatrist was laying on the ground with his hands in the air and was still shot! The black guy in the car reaching for his wallet was shot because he told the police that he had a gun, but was following the directions to show his identification.

The bottom line is, black skin is seen as a threat and is simultaneously not valued in this country. It can't be open season on all blacks just because some don't follow the law.

29 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

If you obey the law you do not have to worry about interacting with police or be concerned with a bodycam. Excluding the DARE officer in 4th grade I have interacted with a police officer once in my life. In the year 2001 I was given a turn signal violation ticket. 

This is absolutely untrue.  I've been harassed on multiple occasions when I was doing nothing wrong. 

7 hours ago, Kanil said:

That depends upon if you trust journalists or not.  Bad journalists that are anti-cop will bury all stories where there is video footage exonerating cops, while highlighting all stories where there is footage of cops in the wrong.  You could have 100 videos of good cops and they all get buried.  The one video where the cop did something wrong stays on the front page for 6 months.  In the end, they can use it to make it look like all cops are bad.