zftcg

Thank you for not coaching

Tomlin gets much hate for a coach that has won a bunch of games. He has been better than Andy Reid and he’s somewhat clearly handled a mountain of player shenanigans. Brown and Ben especially. Besides that, he reminds me a bit of Andy Reid: good coach but you can find flaws and times where you think he could’ve and should’ve done better but didn’t for some reason. Usually the reason was the Patriots. If not, it was injuries or some weird call or play.

Andy randomly abandons the run and/or his best players cuz he gets too cute with playcalls. And he’s regularly horrendous with time and timeout management. Tomlin teams occasionally no show weird games where they should’ve been in position to win easily (I put some of that on a qb too).

I would actually take Reid over Tomlin. 

I think he’s done more with a lot less. 

My own opinion. 

Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I would actually take Reid over Tomlin. 

I think he’s done more with a lot less. 

My own opinion. 

Thanks. 

Before last year, I would have agreed with you. What Reid did with the Chiefs from 2013-2017 was really impressive. Sure, he had Charles and then Tyreek, but overall it felt like that team really overachieved, whereas it felt like the Steelers had all the top talent (to be fair, not always healthy at the same time) and underachieved.

That flipped over the past couple years, when the Chiefs got Mahomes and the Steelers lost, in succession, Bell, then Brown, and now Ben. To be clear, I'm not saying KC has underachieved. What they did last year was super impressive, and they basically came within a coin flip of reaching the Super Bowl. And they've done a good job of surviving this year despite lots of injuries. But now it's the Steelers who are overachieving despite a gaping lack of talent.

One good year doesn’t change my opinion of a career.  

I think this as been Tomlins best coaching work, I find it sad. 

What might have been, if he had been better with that talent.  

I’ll take Reid. 

Thanks for the reply. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimaveli said:

Tomlin gets much hate for a coach that has won a bunch of games. He has been better than Andy Reid and he’s somewhat clearly handled a mountain of player shenanigans. Brown and Ben especially. Besides that, he reminds me a bit of Andy Reid: good coach but you can find flaws and times where you think he could’ve and should’ve done better but didn’t for some reason. Usually the reason was the Patriots. If not, it was injuries or some weird call or play.

Andy randomly abandons the run and/or his best players cuz he gets too cute with playcalls. And he’s regularly horrendous with time and timeout management. Tomlin teams occasionally no show weird games where they should’ve been in position to win easily (I put some of that on a qb too).

For any coach to deal with Brown and Bell and Rothlisberger and keep it so quiet for so long, he should win coach of the decade honors. Not to mention keeping that o-line in such a good state of mind with those divas flaunting their stuff daily.

23 hours ago, zftcg said:

That is the opposite of what has happened this year. Tomlin lost his QB in the second game of the year, and has been without his RB1 and WR1 for long stretches, started out 1-4, yet his team is currently favored to make the playoffs. That’s amazing! He’s a strong contender for coach of the year.

He was, until this past game where he really dented his chances.  Letting Fichtner call the offensive game he did is a huge failure on Tomlin's part.  Putting your UFA rookie QB playing in a playoff-type atmosphere vs a very good defense and tilting your office to 70%+ passing calls resulting in 4 INTs?  C'mon...

On 12/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, jgcrawfish said:

He was, until this past game where he really dented his chances.  Letting Fichtner call the offensive game he did is a huge failure on Tomlin's part.  Putting your UFA rookie QB playing in a playoff-type atmosphere vs a very good defense and tilting your office to 70%+ passing calls resulting in 4 INTs?  C'mon...

We'll add another to the list.  Jets had it 4th and 1 at somewhere around the Pitt 30 or 40.  They went for it going in the  hurry up offense.  Pittsburgh is subbing players and get caught with too many men on the field.  They had 3 timeouts and they didn't use 1.  He also didn't challenge a potential Haden int later in the game that resulted in a Jets score (can't remember if it was the TD they scored or a FG).  I can probably give him a break on the int because in real time, it didn't appear to be one.  After watching the replay and hearing a commentator explain the rule, it probably was one.

Yawn just another missed opportunity and another coaching blunder.  

Garrett/Kellen Moore putting in Tavon Austin for Amari Cooper on the final drive. As someone pointed out, Tavon Austin is the kind of WR you would expect to see playing for the Eagles after all their other guys got hurt, not the one subbing in for Dallas' best weapon.

7 hours ago, Beyond Chaos said:

We'll add another to the list.  Jets had it 4th and 1 at somewhere around the Pitt 30 or 40.  They went for it going in the  hurry up offense.  Pittsburgh is subbing players and get caught with too many men on the field.  They had 3 timeouts and they didn't use 1.  He also didn't challenge a potential Haden int later in the game that resulted in a Jets score (can't remember if it was the TD they scored or a FG).  I can probably give him a break on the int because in real time, it didn't appear to be one.  After watching the replay and hearing a commentator explain the rule, it probably was one.

Oh, there were coaching blunders a plenty in that game.  First, remember that any call that Tomlin challenges is an automatic loss.  He's incapable of winning a challenge.  Beyond that, Steelers get the ball back with like 3 minutes and he proceeds to run Samuels right into a stacked line, putting them in 2nd & 9 with the clock ticking on the rookie QB?  The play calling he lets Fictner get away is absurd. 

On 12/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, jgcrawfish said:

I agree that in-game strategizing has never been Tomlin's strength. I also don't think he hires the best assistants. Best ones I can remember are Arians, Haley and Lebeau, and he forced all of them out.

All that said, one of my iron laws of football is that, when you reach the point where you're starting your third-string QB, it inevitably won't end well. Steelers played above their head for a long stretch this season, and the past few weeks is them coming back to earth (doesn't help that they've also been without Connor and Juju for most of that time).

Yeah but you keep talking about this season, as you noted, in game strategy has never been Tomlin strength, well that’s very important when it comes to coaching, and letting or as said forcing those other good coaches out doesn’t help. 

So point again, he’s not all that great of a coach, look behind this season, he’s truly coached a team that was loaded and it really underachievid over the years.  

Thanks. 

Wait, the Vikings were down two scores with three minutes left in the game and they PUNTED?!?!?!?! Sure, it was 4th and 24, but you need two TD drives!

Think of it this way: converting a 4th and 24 is unlikely, but for the Vikings to come back after punting, they would have to a) get a three-and-out, b) put together a TD drive with no timeouts, c) recover an onside kick and d) get another TD drive with no timeouts. Is there any way the latter scenario is more plausible than the former?

... and then Shanny gets bailed out by Seattle horribly mismanaging the final sequence of plays. Not sure whether that delay of game penalty is on Carroll, Wilson or someone else, but that was just inexcusable. 

On 12/29/2019 at 11:53 PM, zftcg said:

... and then Shanny gets bailed out by Seattle horribly mismanaging the final sequence of plays. Not sure whether that delay of game penalty is on Carroll, Wilson or someone else, but that was just inexcusable. 

Good rundown of all the different ways Pete Carroll screwed up that drive: 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/30/21042401/seahawks-blew-chance-at-winning-nfc-west-with-series-of-baffling-decisions