Sign in to follow this  
TheUsualSuspect

Parity is gone.

For perspective, I’m 40 years old and 14 beers invested.

I don’t recall such a lack of parity in the NFL in quite some time. There are MANY bad teams... as a matter of fact, I don’t think MIA is even the worst.

I don’t know what to make of all this.

Personal opinions which I prepare to be attacked for..

I think SF , GB and NE are counterfeit.

CMAC is the best Fantasy RB in NFL history.

Do non-Raider fans know that the Raiders are 3-2?

Who is the worst team in the League?

WAS, ATL, MIA, NYJ, CIN, PIT, ARI, DEN?

Are teams like TB, NYG, TEN, SD good?

For those that still have doubts of CLE, you will be humbled tomorrow as the Browns absolutely destroy the 49ers. My prediction: Pain.

There's a ton of parity outside of NE. Any team can win on any Sunday against any other team. The Raiders just had a good game against the Bears D (Nagy didn't have them ready imo) 

4 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Have a few more beers and re reflect. 

I’ll be right here.

Im not stats guy, as mentioned before I do have a family and job. No offense, to most of you. 

But I encourage someone to Fact check me.

I don’t recall so many bad teams in the League of all Leagues in quite some time.

4 minutes ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

I’ll be right here.

Im not stats guy, as mentioned before I do have a family and job. No offense, to most of you. 

But I encourage someone to Fact check me.

I don’t recall so many bad teams in the League of all Leagues in quite some time.

Idk about bad teams. Just teams with enough talent to win almost any game. There is a ton of talent in the league right now

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Idk about bad teams. Just teams with enough talent to win almost any game. There is a ton of talent in the league right now

A game? Sure. But that can happen in MLB too which I’d suggest of all major sports lacks parity the most.

But..

WAS, ATL, MIA, NYJ, CIN, PIT, ARI, DEN

Awful. Who am I forgetting?

2 minutes ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

A game? Sure. But that can happen in MLB too which I’d suggest of all major sports lacks parity the most.

But..

WAS, ATL, MIA, NYJ, CIN, PIT, ARI, DEN

Awful. Who am I forgetting?

There always going to be multiple bad teams

16 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

There always going to be multiple bad teams

5 wins between 8 teams thru Week 5?

Show me worse.

Most teams are actually pretty bad.  The talent is spread so thin and free agency keeps it that way.  The main beneficiary at least in the AFC is New England.  I’ve never seen a team have it so easy every year to win a division, get a bye, play all their playoff games at home, etc, etc.  the Pats aren’t even really that good....it’s more that every other team is so lousy. It is what it is.  They are taking advantage and are the only ones that have figured out how to exploit the terribleness.  Look at their schedule this year.  Instant wins one after another.  Again.  Guaranteed 6 divisional wins.  They start every season 6-0. Must be nice!

This is the state of the NFL.  The forced parity had the opposite effect.  You have the same team making it to the super bowl every year for the last 20 years in one conference and in the other one you have a small handful of teams cycling through playing against that same AFC team.  Exciting stuff.  NOT.  This what the fans what though, guess.  Well, you got it.

Enjoy another Pats VS somebody SB this year.  Again.  Yawn.

9 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

5 wins between 8 teams thru Week 5?

Show me worse.

There was an article on either Google News or ESPN about the horrible teams this year in the NFL.  It is the first time we've had this many winless teams in something like 40+ years.  It's a bad look as NFL teams are starting to rebuild the way NBA teams have been doing it for years.  It creates an ugly problem;  No more parity.  The salary cap era was supposed to bring balance to the force, I mean to the NFL.  It worked until owners figured out draft picks are easily as valuable as top free agents.  We're seeing more players able to force themselves onto the teams they want (like the NBA) and more owners willing to tank as they get their revenue stream from the TV/Cable packages, not the fans attending the games.  If you are an owner with stock in your stadium, own the parking garages and concessions, you don't need many fans to attend.  Jerry Jones makes more money on his stadium being used for other events, like Concerts and the parking fees, than he does on the NFL games.  It's not an issue for him as the Cowboys routinely sell out and are usually at least competitive.  An owner of a team like the Dolphins can make a fortune by staying at the salary cap minimum and not having a huge team staff to pay for. 

Football is definitely changing.  I hope the new CBA rectifies some of this or in a few years, it will resemble the NBA.  Only a handful of truly competitive teams and the rest will be marginal.  It's why they want to expand the playoffs in the NFL.  Let in two more teams, build up more of a following for the exceptionally average teams that make it to the playoffs and not worry about building real dynasties anymore. 

• Like 3

I'm inclined to agree with you some extent. 

The NFL seems to be the last sport embracing "advanced metrics"  and teams are now fine with losing now to win later.  Miami is just one example.  I'd argue Oakland made no real attempt to field a team last year.  I'd put Washington in that category, but I'm not sure their front office is smart enough to tank as a strategy, they're more just a product of dysfunction.  I'll add the Jets and Broncos to the Redskins category of so-poorly-managed-that-they-appear-to-be-tanking.

I'm giving the Bengals a pass.  They appear to be trying, but their roster was so emaciated that I'm not sure it makes much sense for them to try this year.  Better off to get the new offense installed and suck and get rid of Andy Dalton and AJ Green to go forward.  I'll put the Cardinals in this category as well.  They are at least trying but don't have the top to bottom roster to compete this year.

The Falcons are talented enough, but they are so poorly coached that they are tanking without trying to tank. 

Regarding the teams that are question marks, most appear to be destined for 8-8

Tampa - Defense is still a weakness, O-line is so bad they can't get one of their most talented players into pass patterns and Jameis is Jekyll and Hyde from game to game.

NYG - I think this game show Danny Dimes a in his true colors a bit more.  He finally played a team that could effectively pressure the QB.  Though overall I think they are trending in the right direction for next season if they can find any talent on the defensive side of the ball.

SDC - I never really understood the love for this team this year.  O-line has issues, Rivers isn't getting younger.  There are certainly some nice skill players but the defense has always seemed to play worse than it should given the talent.

Tenn - I think Tenn is a good QB away from being a playoff team.  Take Rivers off the Chargers and put him here and this would be an 11 win team.

On the Patriots.  I'll agree their offense is probably not what it appears to be and is more a product of playing nobody, but I think that defense is legit.

I don't understand the Falcons at all.  That team has too much talent to be so pathetic.  Hard to believe they are this bad.  I didn't expect them to win the Superbowl, but expected them to compete for the Division.

I agree completely on TN.  A QB is what they need.  MM has been given a longer leash than most QB's would receive.  I fully understand they've not had the most creative OC's in recent years, but he displays great talent once every three or four games.  The rest of them are won with defense and the running game.  I think if they had Rivers at QB, they may be one of the favorites in the AFC. 

SDC - They've wasted such a great QB.  I cannot understand what continually happens with this organization.  On paper, they have great players at the most valuable positions.  On the field, something just isn't right.  It has been going on for so long with them that I'm not sure who you place the blame on there anymore.  Not providing an offensive line for Rivers should be a criminal offense though. 

17 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

For those that still have doubts of CLE, you will be humbled tomorrow as the Browns absolutely destroy the 49ers. My prediction: Pain.

I hope your right about this one. 

i lucked into the Pats defense in one league and it's like every single week they are playing one of the worst teams in the league.  it's uncanny

4 minutes ago, cavern said:

i lucked into the Pats defense in one league and it's like every single week they are playing one of the worst teams in the league.  it's uncanny

This is true. How can they play a historically bad team almost every week? They have buff as cincy in the playoffs too :)

I still don't agree on parity outside of NE. Anyone can win this year. There is one dominant team, maybe. NE doesn't look like world beaters imo. 

The Patriots make the perfect case for jus throw made today’s game is. 

They don’t have any body besides Brady and a def. 

and they keep winning , and might win another super bowl. 

I agree that their are many teams that could win the super bowl this season, and not based on good football,  it based on awful and a lot of avg teams.  

10 minutes ago, weepaws said:

The Patriots make the perfect case for jus throw made today’s game is. 

They don’t have any body besides Brady and a def. 

and they keep winning , and might win another super bowl. 

I agree that their are many teams that could win the super bowl this season, and not based on good football,  it based on awful and a lot of avg teams.  

In part due to the talent being spread so well. There isnt one team who has a scouting department that's running circles around everyone. Dallas may have had that if Jerry didn't dip his hand into the decision making constantly

Would agree about that.  

Also think rule changes that have been made, I think it’s a great ideal to protect the players, but it’s also hurt the game.

Some points to that would simply be practice, or a lack of ability to practice like they used to, awfull tackling.

And I also think it’s a big lack of commitment from the players themselfs.  

They don’t play just to win the game, they play just to get paid, not saying they didn’t play to ge paid in the past, but it seems that winning was very important to the players and now not so much. 

I mean when you see a player like L Bell sit out last season, when he was playing for a team that without question had the talent to go to the Super Bowl, that’s a lack of team commitment and to winning. 

And I think even though we don’t see players sitting out like him, they lack that fire to just win at any cost mentality, anyway I think so. 

10 minutes ago, weepaws said:

And I also think it’s a big lack of commitment from the players themselfs.  

They don’t play just to win the game, they play just to get paid, not saying they didn’t play to ge paid in the past, but it seems that winning was very important to the players and now not so much. 

Back in the day, playoff game and Super Bowl shares were actually a significant portion of a players salary.  Maybe allow a player to not have to get an off-season job.  Now, I am not an advocate of cutting salaries to the point where players need off-season jobs, but wouldn't it be great if a huge chunk of the players share of revenues went to players on playoff teams and regular season salaries would be pretty basic for all players?  I see no chance of that happening in a new CBA, but that would certainly create a lot more incentive for team performance.

Lack of commitment may play a portion. I bet if you look at an individuals best years, they probably came right before their next contract.

Im not going to agree that rule changes are making the product worse until we have a large sample size. The nfl had to make a change. The way society looks at how brutal the sport is has changed. If the NFL allowed the same type of hits on qbs and defenseless players, I believe the NFL would be out of business a lot quicker than if they keep their current player protection adjustments. 

I also can't totally blame the players. They give their body for this game, and in a lot of cases their mind also. They are expected to give everything they have every play, and yet you have owners like Dan Snyder who will never give his team a shot to win a championship. Or, once said player isnt of use any more, gone. Income taken away while the owner stays and makes bank off the next guy. 

The league is what it is because of the players. Good for them for standing up and letting the NFL know they deserve more control because without them there would be no one making millions from their abilities. 

20 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

I lost interest in the post at about this point.  Obvious you weren't kidding about the 14 beers thing. He's certainly tearing it up, but way too soon to anoint him best ever. 

23 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

For perspective, I’m 40 years old and 14 beers invested.

I don’t recall such a lack of parity in the NFL in quite some time. There are MANY bad teams... as a matter of fact, I don’t think MIA is even the worst.

I think SF , GB and NE are counterfeit.

ouch

I think he's right. The NFL isn't where it used to be as in any team can beat any other team and given week.

It's showing in fantasy too. A few players put up huge numbers nearly every week and the rest get peanuts. At least that's my take.

The best teams are the ones with the best coaches, not so much the best talent.

Tonight’s game was another’s awful production from the nfl. 

On 10/6/2019 at 10:13 PM, TheUsualSuspect said:

Stopped reading after that.

The Browns game was a disaster. I’m mind blown how poorly CLE played and my prediction itself was painful.

As for CMAC, I stand behind my statement...

Thru one quarter of this season, he is on pace to have the most work for an RB in NFL history. This is a fact.

As for my opinion, I challenge anyone to find a better stretch of football where a player has CONSISTENTLY been more productive from a fantasy perspective.

***Edit- PPR Leagues.

Is there still such a thing as Non PPR?

Edited by TheUsualSuspect
Add

17 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I play in a non ppr

You should stop. LS swap your fantasy leagues. 

56 minutes ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

***Edit- PPR Leagues.

I play in one with very basic scoring, and to be honest, it kind of sucks

4 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

The Browns game was a disaster. I’m mind blown how poorly CLE played and my prediction itself was painful.

As for CMAC, I stand behind my statement...

Thru one quarter of this season, he is on pace to have the most work for an RB in NFL history. This is a fact.

As for my opinion, I challenge anyone to find a better stretch of football where a player has CONSISTENTLY been more productive from a fantasy perspective.

***Edit- PPR Leagues.

I agree that CMAC has been terrific so far this year, but there has definitely been cases of a player being more productive, consistently, and for longer. I suggest taking a look at LaDainian Tomlinson's entire 2006 season, but especially a stretch from end of October to Mid-December. https://www.profootballhof.com/news/lt-s-2006-season/

Shaun Alexander in 2005, and Priest Holmes in 2003 or 2004 were pretty impressive as well. 

I think what is happening is that the league is starting to find out that the new rules benefit having a cheap QB.  The "Franchise QB" is going to be a thing of the past.  The way things are in the NFL is that a QB can enter the league and have immediate success at a higher rate than in the past.  The best way a team can win, is to have a cheap QB and spend the money on a good OLine and secondary.  Pass rush doesn't really mean much anymore either.  If you don't have those 3 things, your chances of success aren't as good as teams who do.  The best way to run an organization right now is to draft build your OLine and secondary... then, draft your QB.  After the QB's 2nd season, give him a 3-year - team friendly - contract extension, then when said QB has 2 years left on his deal, draft his replacement.  The following year, when your QB has 1-year left, trade him.

This is the reason there are a lot of bad teams.  It's because they're starting to find out that the way to win in the NFL isn't the same as it used to be.  When they finally come to that realization, that a "Franchise QB" is no longer a must have, the league will continue to be like this.  Just watch what happens to Dallas when they give Prescott $35M+.  The Eagles and Rams did it right with Goff and Wentz, and re-signing them early.  But, both of their contracts end in 2024... I'm willing to bet both teams draft the replacements in 2023 or 2024.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about loss of parity - see how many teams are in the hunt for the final 2-4 playoff spots the last 2 weeks.

But I do think there has been a plethora of bad head coaching cropping up. There are teams with talent who are not ready to play on Sunday and post game the head coaches seem completely dazed before the press.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:15 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

This is true. How can they play a historically bad team almost every week? They have buff as cincy in the playoffs too :)

I still don't agree on parity outside of NE. Anyone can win this year. There is one dominant team, maybe. NE doesn't look like world beaters imo. 

Thats the thing - New England rarely looks all-world but geezus the rest of the *competition* is so bad that they default to being awesome.  Stick them back in the late 80's or early 90's with their curent team and they probably 0-4 right now or 1-3.  Hey - it is what it is.  They've mastered at doing just barely enough to stay a tiny step ahead of other teams.  But, there is NO debating that they are "Easy schedule" and "Pathetic Disvision" Queens of the NFL.  Thye never seem to play anyone good and when they do its always in Foxboro.  Then, they always draw a playoff bye.  It never ends.

I still think the Pats will cruise to the SB without breaking a sweat.  Whos gonna stop them?  KC?  Not even close.  The Bills?  Please.  The Ravens/Browns/Chargers?  All pretenders and 8-8 teams at best.  Another horrible Super Bowl coming.  Pats will beat some NFC team like 9-6. :D

As good as CMAC has been so far this year, Barkley has a chance to be better.  Over 2K yards as a rookie with ElI at QB, enough said.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:03 AM, cotarice12 said:

I agree that CMAC has been terrific so far this year, but there has definitely been cases of a player being more productive, consistently, and for longer. I suggest taking a look at LaDainian Tomlinson's entire 2006 season, but especially a stretch from end of October to Mid-December. https://www.profootballhof.com/news/lt-s-2006-season/

Shaun Alexander in 2005, and Priest Holmes in 2003 or 2004 were pretty impressive as well. 

Marshall Faulk put up some seriously impressive 4/5 game stretches as well, as did Larry Johnson.  LT2 & Priest probably had two of the best full seasons I've ever seen, but there has been a litany of RB's go on long stretches of dominance over the years.  Even Ricky Waters, Bryant Westbrook, Ahman Green and Frank Gore have gone on great 4 game runs.  It isn't unique to CMC at all. 

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Marshall Faulk put up some seriously impressive 4/5 game stretches as well, as did Larry Johnson.  LT2 & Priest probably had two of the best full seasons I've ever seen, but there has been a litany of RB's go on long stretches of dominance over the years.  Even Ricky Waters, Bryant Westbrook, Ahman Green and Frank Gore have gone on great 4 game runs.  It isn't unique to CMC at all. 

shaun alexander once had 5 td's in one half.  craziest thing i ever saw.  i was down big and needed a HUGE night from alexander.  i thought it was hopeless.  instead i had it won by halftime

On 10/6/2019 at 9:13 PM, TheUsualSuspect said:

get the Faulk out of here

NFL.COM lists the best Fantasy RB seasons in history as follows:

2006 LT2 

2000 Marshall Faulk

2002 Priest Holmes

2003 Priest Holmes

1995 Emmitt Smith

2005 Shaun Alexander

1975 O.J. Simpson

1998 Terrell Davis

2003 Ahman Green

1983 Eric Dickerson

This doesn't include 4/5 games stretches of brilliance, only the full seasons.  Others with monster 4/5 games stretches:  Ray Rice, Le'Veon Bell, Jamaal Charles, Marcus Allen, Roger Craig, Arian Foster, Chris Johnson, Edgerrin James and Steven Jackson. 

• Like 1