Fireballer

Unsubscribing to junk emails?

I hope its a good idea, I always unsubscribe.....

If it's from a reputable company I think it's fine.  If you're not sure or don't know the company, you may be just confirming that your e-mail address is valid.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

you may be just confirming that your e-mail address is valid.

Thats what Im thinking

Most of mine come from legit companies, I end up on their lists because I am usually buying boatloads of gear from a variety of entities.

Just now, Fireballer said:

Thats what Im thinking

I tend to ask myself if I've done business with the company.  If I have then I'm usually comfortable unsubscribing since I probably provided the e-mail address to them, especially since I use a secondary e-mail address for retail.  If they're e-mailing me to that address and I've done business with them I can be reasonably confident that I gave them the address and unsubscribing is safe.  If I don't know the company it's likely they are either paying someone to spam me or bought a list and are doing it themselves.  In that case I won't use unsubscribe; I will mark it as junk so my e-mail program doesn't even show it to me.  On occasion I will go to my e-mail server, since I host my own e-mail, and block the user or domain from being accepted at all.

Just put the word "Unsubscribe" in your spam filter and they will dump straight into there.

4 minutes ago, JohnD. said:

Just put the word "Unsubscribe" in your spam filter and they will dump straight into there.

What if you want some e-mails that contain that word but not all?

It's a good idea.  I recently spent like an hour doing this and my inbox is nearly empty of new mail each day.

Yahoo, which is the absolute worst for junk mail..has a handy little feature.  You can click the email(doesn't open it) and select "block senders".

I used to get  pummeled with spam in my yahoo account, now, after diligently doing this for a couple weeks, I don't get much at all.

Gmail has always been good on junk mail.  Barely get any and those that I do get tossed into my spam folder pretty easily.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Strike said:

What if you want some e-mails that contain that word but not all?

You can still look at your spam folder. It will just keep the other mess of them out of your regular inbox.

23 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Good idea? Or, it just causes more garbage to get sent to your inbox?

I think Unsubscribe is the best idea. 

I have never noticed it "add more junk" to my inbox.  Nah...there is no way it does.

Best option: unsubscribe

Runner up: mark as spam

2 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

I think Unsubscribe is the best idea. 

I have never noticed it "add more junk" to my inbox.  Nah...there is no way it does.

Best option: unsubscribe

Runner up: mark as spam

Disagree.  Most will tell you if you unsubscribe, unless it's a reputable site and one you signed up for, youre just verifying that your email address is valid.  It will lead to more junk.  Lots and lots more junk