Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Redskins fire HC Jay Gruden

I think it would be a mistake to put in Haskins right now.  He looked bad in the preseason and looked even worse in his brief exposure a couple weekends ago.  When he was drafted, most thought he was a solid year away from even competing for a starting position.  With the lack of a line to protect him, his lack of mobility and the fact he's not played a ton of football is a bit concerning.  I think they will end up starting him, but hope for his sake it isn't a too much too soon type of thing that can ultimately ruin a QB in the long run.  Personally, I'd let Keenum and/or McCoy take the beating this season and let him learn.  Once they have a solid LT in place or at least some upgrade somewhere along that line, then I'd be willing to throw him  to the wolves. 

I think this is good for Gruden as I don't think he's as bad as some believe (see above).  I think it's the player acquisition.  The were at least a .500 team under Gruden after they moved on from Griffin until this season.  To finish last season 1 game under .500 with little to no talent on offense and a mediocre defense is pretty good.  This year, they have no offense or defense.  To me, that's on the GM, not Gruden.  Now, all of that said... if Gruden is the one in charge of drafting and free agents, then I can understand some of the reason to move on.

Bought time.  I've never seen a coach worse at developing players.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I think it would be a mistake to put in Haskins right now.  He looked bad in the preseason and looked even worse in his brief exposure a couple weekends ago.  When he was drafted, most thought he was a solid year away from even competing for a starting position.  With the lack of a line to protect him, his lack of mobility and the fact he's not played a ton of football is a bit concerning.  I think they will end up starting him, but hope for his sake it isn't a too much too soon type of thing that can ultimately ruin a QB in the long run.  Personally, I'd let Keenum and/or McCoy take the beating this season and let him learn.  Once they have a solid LT in place or at least some upgrade somewhere along that line, then I'd be willing to throw him  to the wolves. 

Doesn’t matter what the fans, or even the coaches want/think.  If Snyder wants Haskins out there, he’ll play.  

3 minutes ago, makindollaz said:

Doesn’t matter what the fans, or even the coaches want/think.  If Snyder wants Haskins out there, he’ll play.  

No question, but what’s wrong with someone having a opinion about the issue? 

He was the offensive line coach, so he should know how dangerous it would be to put a rookie behind that group.  lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, makindollaz said:

And that's a big part of the problem.

I've been a Washington fan since I was a kid, back in the time of Riggins, Theisman, the Hogs and the Fun Bunch. I still consider myself a fan, but at this point it's pure inertia. There is literally nothing I like about the franchise. Hate the racist nickname, DESPISE the owner, can't believe the front-office incompetence, can't even trust the training staff to treat an injured player without him getting an infection. There are no exciting young players to get behind -- there pretty much haven't been any since RG3's rookie year. They're tanking as hard as the Dolphins, but with no apparent plan to get out of it and a giant Alex Smith cap hit still on the books. So tell me what exactly I'm cheering for at this point?

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

No question, but what’s wrong with someone having a opinion about the issue? 

Nothing at all, and I agree Haskins would be a mistake right now.  But I’ve also been watching this soap opera for 2 decades.

14 minutes ago, makindollaz said:

Nothing at all, and I agree Haskins would be a mistake right now.  But I’ve also been watching this soap opera for 2 decades.

From what I’m now seeing , he’s staying on the bench. 

12 hours ago, zftcg said:

Hate the racist nickname, DESPISE the owner...

I like sports
So some things I force myself to miss
Like I never met an athlete I like, and hockey in Texas
But when it comes to Native American nicknamed teams
Even within the context of sports it's awful and mean

And you'll go
"Wah wah wah, you're so PC"
And I will say "Hey wait"
My, my, my, how have the tables turned
That being a is a desirable trait

While we're on the subject of changing team names
There's no jazz in Utah and few lakes in LA
Just this once, give me the benefit of the doubt
The Bullets became the Wizards--too violent? Get out!

And you'll go
"Wah wah wah, you're so PC"
And I will say "Hey wait"
Remind me again how it came to be
That being "the stupid American" is a desirable trait

Wouldn't it be offensive if we cheered:
"Rah rah rah" for the Carolina Negroes
With a beatbox cheer and fake foam afros?
The Minnesota Vikes became the New York Kikes
With dollar bills on their helmets cause that's what they like you know?

"Atom, what about the Saints, Angels, Padres too?
Ain't that the same thing for Christians that's offending you?"

When there's a Jesus Christ mascot with a hot dog shooting crucifix
Nailed to a cross, dying to save the team...
You'll be right, you'll be right
But until then...
You're. Not. Right

So what's your take on the Washington Redskins?
What's your take on the Cleveland Indians?
What's your take on the Washington Redskins?
What's your take on the Cleveland Indians?

On 10/7/2019 at 12:07 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

I think this is good for Gruden as I don't think he's as bad as some believe (see above).  I think it's the player acquisition.  The were at least a .500 team under Gruden after they moved on from Griffin until this season.  To finish last season 1 game under .500 with little to no talent on offense and a mediocre defense is pretty good.  This year, they have no offense or defense.  To me, that's on the GM, not Gruden.  Now, all of that said... if Gruden is the one in charge of drafting and free agents, then I can understand some of the reason to move on.

He lost the team.  Good coaches lose with some dignity.  He wasn’t a motivator.  He’s an OC. Not a head coach type personality. 

On 10/7/2019 at 10:44 AM, makindollaz said:

If everyone thought this way, there would be no need to have conversations about anything in life, not to mention fantasy football,  unless you have direct impact on the subject matter itself.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

He lost the team.  Good coaches lose with some dignity.  He wasn’t a motivator.  He’s an OC. Not a head coach type personality. 

That's certainly possible.  I've seen that here in Tampa.  I don't really follow the Redskins, I only go by what I've heard on NFL Radio/Network.