Sign in to follow this  
shaabyi

David Johnson Injury

2 minutes ago, shaabyi said:

How bad is his back?  Did anyone see the hit or if he kept playing?

He played through it. 

Very likely nothing to see here.

I have Edmonds stashed.  I just hope they make Johnson's status clear.  Edmonds looked good enough to put in there (for my team) as long as he's guaranteed to get the touches.

Sounds like something that is a bigger problem when he’s sitting than when he’s out there running, which would be a good sign for this week. Risk is that a back injury is the kind of thing that could flare up 10 minutes before kickoff.

I have DJ, Cooks and Watkins, with Singletary and JBrown on bye. I just need one of those injured guys to suit up and I can field a lineup this week. If all three sit I’m screwed

He gets injured about every season.

Talented player but very overhyped

41 minutes ago, polecatt said:

There is literally zero basis for that statement. He's been in the league for five years. In 2017, he injured his wrist in the first game and missed the rest of the season. Beyond that one injury, he has appeared in 52 of 52 games.

I drafted him in the 7 spot in a 0.5 PPR league. After five weeks he's the RB8. That seems very much in line with expectations. He was neither over- nor under-hyped. He was appropriately hyped. And if Murray improves and brings the offense up a level (not guaranteed but certainly plausible), DJ could have plenty of upside.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zftcg said:

There is literally zero basis for that statement. He's been in the league for five years. In 2017, he injured his wrist in the first game and missed the rest of the season. Beyond that one injury, he has appeared in 52 of 52 games.

I drafted him in the 7 spot in a 0.5 PPR league. After five weeks he's the RB8. That seems very much in line with expectations. He was neither over- nor under-hyped. He was appropriately hyped. And if Murray improves and brings the offense up a level (not guaranteed but certainly plausible), DJ could have plenty of upside.

There is a lot of basis for that statement.

I didn't say he had season ending injuries every year. He has had some sort of injury about every season though, he's just been lucky enough for it to not cost him many games so far. His rookie year he got off to a slow start because of a hamstring injury. Last season he sprained his knee in the last game. That along with missing an entire season. I'm not surprised at all he's come up gimpy again.

In any case, I remember when a lot of people on this board were all hyped up about him being the top overall player in fantasy football.

Would you really argue that he's lived up to that hype?

11 minutes ago, polecatt said:

There is a lot of basis for that statement.

I didn't say he had season ending injuries every year. He has had some sort of injury about every season though, he's just been lucky enough for it to not cost him many games so far. His rookie year he got off to a slow start because of a hamstring injury. Last season he sprained his knee in the last game. That along with missing an entire season. I'm not surprised at all he's come up gimpy again.

In any case, I remember when a lot of people on this board were all hyped up about him being the top overall player in fantasy football.

Would you really argue that he's lived up to that hype?

Um, that wasn't hype. In 2016 he was the top overall player in fantasy football. The following year he got injured, last year he got stuck on the worst team -- with the most unimaginative play caller -- in the league and still managed to finish as the RB10. Do I still think he's the best player in fantasy? Of course not. Even if it was true then, RBs have too short of a shelf life that they can effectively piss away two years of their career to injuries/bad coaching and still be an elite talent. As I said, I think he's properly rated right now as a mid-to-low RB1, with some upside potential. That was his ADP, and that's the type of production he's delivered. Do you disagree with that?

And the notion that a guy who gets dinged up but plays through it is some kind of anomaly in the NFL is belied by the fact that that pretty much describes every player in the NFL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Um, that wasn't hype. In 2016 he was the top overall player in fantasy football. The following year he got injured, last year he got stuck on the worst team -- with the most unimaginative play caller -- in the league and still managed to finish as the RB10. Do I still think he's the best player in fantasy? Of course not. Even if it was true then, RBs have too short of a shelf life that they can effectively piss away two years of their career to injuries/bad coaching and still be an elite talent. As I said, I think he's properly rated right now as a mid-to-low RB1, with some upside potential. That was his ADP, and that's the type of production he's delivered. Do you disagree with that?

And the notion that a guy who gets dinged up but plays through it is some kind of anomaly in the NFL is belied by the fact that that pretty much describes every player in the NFL. 

It was hype, he's had one really good season and been basically an RB2 since unless he's been out. Some were even saying he should be the top pick last season which wasn't close.

It's not getting dinged up and playing through it either. His rookie season, he barely saw the field until the last 5 games in large part because of a hamstring injury. Last season, he sprained his MCL in week 17, which was lucky timing for him not to miss time unless you think he was going to play through an injury that usually sidelines players 4-6 weeks.

He's a talented player but he's not close to the top of the RB list for whatever reason you want to attribute it.

15 minutes ago, polecatt said:

It was hype, he's had one really good season and been basically an RB2 since unless he's been out. Some were even saying he should be the top pick last season which wasn't close.

In his two full seasons he’s finished as the RB1 and RB10. This year he’s RB8 so far. Unless you play in a six-team league, that’s not an RB2. 

6 minutes ago, zftcg said:

In his two full seasons he’s finished as the RB1 and RB10. This year he’s RB8 so far. Unless you play in a six-team league, that’s not an RB2. 

That's in your league, in mine he was either 12 or 14 last season and he's 11 or 13 this season, all of which makes him an RB2.

In any case he's a solid RB2 but I wouldn't feel great about having him as my top RB

Polecatt,

you had mentioned in another thread that you do play non PPR, standard.

In non PPR, DJ’s fantasy value diminishes greatly.

Thst could be reason for this disagreement.

D J hasn’t been worthy of his adp. 

And he won’t be once again this season. 

I put in a play for Edmonds, I think D J might miss this weekend, and if not he well be limited. 

9 hours ago, polecatt said:

Oh no he isn't 100% healthy every year like every other running back in the NFL... What a useless statement. 

• Thanks 1

David Johnson ppr each week

What a disappointment. I can't believe he isn't scoring 45 each week. I have been hearing people cry about Johnson all year. Johnson has one low score and then 4 really good games. This offense isn't scoring at all, and he is hovering around 20 each game. Please trade me your David Johnson so I can get burned with his meager near 20 ppg

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

I put in a play for Edmonds, I think D J might miss this weekend, and if not he well be limited. 

i had his ADP being end of round 1 beginning of round 2 which puts him somewhere in the rb 8 range.  he is currently rb 8 in my 1/2 pt ppr

i was watching redzone as the bengals cards game ended and players were shaking hands and leaving the field. DJ was walking extremely carefully. He looked 60 years old. I love the guy and watched him a lot over the last few years. hopefully his back settles down but it can't be a good sign for a running back running into tacklers. 

4 hours ago, cavern said:

i had his ADP being end of round 1 beginning of round 2 which puts him somewhere in the rb 8 range.  he is currently rb 8 in my 1/2 pt ppr

4th pick in my league, and I do know many on this site had him as a top five pick. 

Based on ff today weekly rankings in a half point ppr, week one he was ranked 9th, week 2 was ranked 33rd, week three he was ranked 12th and week four he was ranked 11th and week 5 he was ranked 11th.  

So i stick to my statement, he’s not worthy. 

Hey thanks. 

I was able to land Edmonds and he was cheap. 

12 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

Polecatt,

He was RB10 in both standard and 0.5PPR last year. It is true that he’s only RB12 in standard this year, compared to RB8 in 0.5PPR. Maybe Polecat has some unusual scoring system? Anyway, those all count as RB1 finishes. 

34 minutes ago, weepaws said:

4th pick in my league, and I do know many on this site had him as a top five pick. 

Based on ff today weekly rankings in a half point ppr, week one he was ranked 9th, week 2 was ranked 33rd, week three he was ranked 12th and week four he was ranked 11th and week 5 he was ranked 11th.  

So i stick to my statement, he’s not worthy. 

Hey thanks. 

aah - got it.  you're cherry picking data.

6 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

David Johnson ppr each week

What a disappointment. I can't believe he isn't scoring 45 each week. I have been hearing people cry about Johnson all year. Johnson has one low score and then 4 really good games. This offense isn't scoring at all, and he is hovering around 20 each game. Please trade me your David Johnson so I can get burned with his meager near 20 ppg

And even in NON PPR he's currently 12th in my standard scoring league, a point out of 9th. 4th in targets, 6th in recs, 14th in touches among RBs.. I own him and I am stoked right now, no.  But I'm not calling him a bust trying to dump him either.

Last year he finished 10th in a 'down' year.  I went into my auction with him as possible toarget him as expected owners to be down on him from previous year I may be able to get him for a decent price. Which I did price wise for what would amount to like a 10-12 pick in a snake draft.

He's about there now,  even with the OL play and offense not clicking, which I think will improve as season goes on as will he.  Now if you picked him as top 5-7 guy or equivalent in an auction, I can get the frustration, but I did not have those expectations going in.

Stop arguing.. Hes playing well.. 

I got him from the 6 hole.. In the 2nd round (250$ buy in). 

Claimed Edmonds for $3. 

Won a championship with DJ last year (via trade) and am in first this year with him. Im not complaining.. 

Even if healthy the two-back system was successful last week.  After Fitz/DJ/Kirk, Edmonds is probably their best weapon at this point.  I expect him to play regardless of DJ's status.  Worth a grab IMO.

DJ is averaging 4.1 per carry despite playing a top 5 and top 10 run D already. And he leaves nothing to be desired from a receiving standpoint. 

I picked up Edmonds so I’m hoping DJ sits out. I’m thinking even if he goes he will be limited and Chase isn’t the worst flex start.

22 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

Polecatt,

I play in 4 leagues, one is standard, the others are PPR but they also give bonuses for 100 yard games and long TD plays, it probably is diminished a bit from standard PPR

10 hours ago, zftcg said:

He was RB10 in both standard and 0.5PPR last year. It is true that he’s only RB12 in standard this year, compared to RB8 in 0.5PPR. Maybe Polecat has some unusual scoring system? Anyway, those all count as RB1 finishes. 

That's it, see my above reply

I'm playing against the DJ owner so I grabbed Edmonds off the WW just to c-block him. Hoping he sits this week. I might even have to start Edmonds now that Gurley is being Gurley.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:04 AM, weepaws said:

its not often a RB performs to his max level on a bad team.   and DJ is on a bad team.

Top 5 talent, but bad team.

Team needs a stud WR because Fitz at 35 or 36 (or whatever age) isnt likely to cut it much longer.

Team needs players on the line who can perform.  

if they draft an OT in round 1, a WR in round 2 and a C or Guard in round 3 next year, the offense will likely be in fair shape moving forward.

5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

its not often a RB performs to his max level on a bad team.   and DJ is on a bad team.

Team needs a stud WR because Fitz at 35 or 36 (or whatever age) isnt likely to cut it much longer.

if they draft an OT in round 1, a WR in round 2 and a C or Guard in round 3 next year, the offense will likely be in fair shape moving forward.

they're going to miss DJ's prime unfortunately.  

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, mgirgent said:

Stop arguing.. Hes playing well.. 

I got him from the 6 hole.. In the 2nd round (250$ buy in). 

Claimed Edmonds for $3. 

Won a championship with DJ last year (via trade) and am in first this year with him. Im not complaining.. 

I have no issues with DJ, but how exactly did he win you a Championship last year?  In the fantasy playoffs he only scored 15, 19 and 13.7 in PPR Leagues.  He would have laid an egg in your Title Game.  He only had 9 games last season where he scored 15 or more points in PPR and only 3 games exceeding 20 points, with one of those being 20.1.  If you won your league last season, it wasn't because of DJ. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

If you won your league last season, it wasn't because of DJ. 

In fairness, he didn't say that he won BECAUSE of DJ, just with DJ--apparently he had other studs around him.

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I don't think receiver is an issue going forward. Kirk, Isabella, Byrd, keeshawn. That's a pretty solid young receiving with plenty of room to grow

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

In fairness, he didn't say that he won BECAUSE of DJ, just with DJ--apparently he had other studs around him.

Its not about studs its about getting 15 pts from each player each week. DJ more then filled his position each week. 

When you win your trades you dont have to sit there and b$!'h about people not performing. 

10 hours ago, mgirgent said:

Its not about studs its about getting 15 pts from each player each week. DJ more then filled his position each week. 

When you win your trades you dont have to sit there and b$!'h about people not performing. 

DJ averaged 16.2 points per week in 2018 in PPR.  He did enough to be a worthy starter.  The problem is if you take out his week 10 performance against the Chiefs, he only averaged 13.8 points per game in PPR for the season.  He had 7 games under 15 points, including 4 of the last 6 games of the season, the ones that count.  There was only a single game, the Chiefs game, where you can look at his points total and say he likely won you a week.  Only twice outside of that did he even crack 20 points with scores of 21.2 and 20.1, way back in weeks 5 & 6.  The final 6 games of the season he averaged only 13.63 points per game in PPR.  That is nowhere near good enough for a guy who was being taken top 3 overall.  In fact, those are WR3 numbers.  Again, I have nothing against DJ and hope he does well, but I think he's seriously overhyped.  Like many fantasy players, he had one tremendous season and the people that owned him that year are likely to keep drafting him hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again.  While he hasn't missed much time in the NFL, I posted in the preseason his injury designations over the past few years.  He has been on the injury report fairly often.  With RB's, eventually you go from Questionable to simply Out as you lose more tread on the tires.  Considering he will be 28 next season, if I owned him in Dynasty, I would be looking to sell.