Sign in to follow this  
shaabyi

David Johnson Injury

32 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That is nowhere near good enough for a guy who was being taken top 3 overall.

[...]

Like many fantasy players, he had one tremendous season and the people that owned him that year are likely to keep drafting him hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again. 

I think so much of people's opinions on DJ is driven by expectations. If you took him mid/late first round in 2016 and got a league winner, you loved him. If you took him first in 2017 and got burned by the injury, you were bummed but can't really blame a guy for getting hurt. But if you took him Top 5 last year and got low-end RB1/high RB2 production, you probably took it much more personally.

I myself had never drafted DJ until this year. I took him as a back-half RB1 and have gotten that level of production so far, so I'm pretty happy, especially because I see upside in the second half of the year as Murray matures and Arizona's red-zone efficiency is due for some positive regression. But I can certainly imagine the circumstances where I would be frustrated with him based on a different ADP.

47 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I think so much of people's opinions on DJ is driven by expectations. If you took him mid/late first round in 2016 and got a league winner, you loved him. If you took him first in 2017 and got burned by the injury, you were bummed but can't really blame a guy for getting hurt. But if you took him Top 5 last year and got low-end RB1/high RB2 production, you probably took it much more personally.

I myself had never drafted DJ until this year. I took him as a back-half RB1 and have gotten that level of production so far, so I'm pretty happy, especially because I see upside in the second half of the year as Murray matures and Arizona's red-zone efficiency is due for some positive regression. But I can certainly imagine the circumstances where I would be frustrated with him based on a different ADP.

You are exactly correct.  It's all about where you drafted them and the expectations that come along with that draft slot.  In most of my redrafts, he was going 1.05 or 1.06 right before the season.  I'm not sure what increased his ADP, but he was going late first up until the week before the season and a couple weeks prior he was in the early 2nd.  I like him in that offense this year and think he's just fine, even if you nabbed him at 1.6, especially considering how the other players above him have done.  Kamara and Elliott aren't exactly lighting it up this season and Barkley has missed time.  Of the top 4 selections, only the CMC owner is truly thrilled right now. 

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You are exactly correct.  It's all about where you drafted them and the expectations that come along with that draft slot.  In most of my redrafts, he was going 1.05 or 1.06 right before the season.  I'm not sure what increased his ADP, but he was going late first up until the week before the season and a couple weeks prior he was in the early 2nd.  I like him in that offense this year and think he's just fine, even if you nabbed him at 1.6, especially considering how the other players above him have done.  Kamara and Elliott aren't exactly lighting it up this season and Barkley has missed time.  Of the top 4 selections, only the CMC owner is truly thrilled right now. 

In my main league (12-team non-PPR), someone took him 1.04, which seems too high for me (then again, she is currently the only undefeated team left in our league, which just proves that no one knows nuthin'.)

In my long-time family league (14-team 0.5 PPR), I took him at 1.07. Cook went 1.08, which I would obviously change if I could do it over again, but as much as I liked Cook coming into the season, I had DJ rated higher.

I took Cook at the 1.04, which was the earliest pick I had in a redraft this season.  At the time, Elliott was still potentially holding out, so I opted for Cook over him knowing he wouldn't be there for me in the 2nd.  So far, that team is far and away my best one.  It's also the team that everyone said I "reached" for the many of the players I drafted.  I agree.  No one knows nuthin'. 

any update on DJ / Edmonds for this week?

8 minutes ago, [echo] said:

any update on DJ / Edmonds for this week?

Haven't heard anything since his DNP yesterday.

My (decidedly non-medical) opinion is that this will be a true GTD. They'll wait to see how his back is feeling in pre-game warmups. Anyone remember that game a few years ago where Marshawn was set to start for Seattle and then his back started spasming right before kickoff, when it was already too late for people to bench him? Let's hope it's not like that.

Fortunately, with Cooks clearing the concussion protocol, my only remaining roster decision is DJ vs. Edmonds, so as long as they have it resolved by 3:55 (and I'm somewhere with cell service) I should be OK.

Cardinals GM Steve Keim has been "encouraged" by David Johnson's progress and believes he has a "chance" to play Week 6 against the Falcons.

"I'm not 100 percent sure," said Keim when asked of Johnson's availability for Week 6. "But I'm certainly encouraged."

30 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Cardinals GM Steve Keim has been "encouraged" by David Johnson's progress and believes he has a "chance" to play Week 6 against the Falcons.

"I'm not 100 percent sure," said Keim when asked of Johnson's availability for Week 6. "But I'm certainly encouraged."

Do u guys think Edmonds has any flex appeal if dj plays? I don’t really have a backup plan if he doesn’t as his game is 4:15 (would have to start Robbie Anderson), or I can play it safe and roll out Hyde. 

31 minutes ago, himmystyles said:

Do u guys think Edmonds has any flex appeal if dj plays? I don’t really have a backup plan if he doesn’t as his game is 4:15 (would have to start Robbie Anderson), or I can play it safe and roll out Hyde. 

Tough to say, but if DJ is truly injured, I cannot see them letting him hurt himself by playing a full game, if he plays.  There is a chance Atlanta does something odd in this game though and lights up the AZ defense quickly. 

2 hours ago, himmystyles said:

Yes, but his production of course will be less, but I don’t see how D J will be a full go, he hasn’t even been able to practice. 

I picked up Edmonds as I posted before, and I’m going to flex him. 

4 hours ago, himmystyles said:

You have two options that are both solid enough that I wouldn't risk starting Edmonds on the thrill of the unknown.  Hyde's offense should give him at least one goalline opportunity against a suspect Chiefs' defense (and there's the revenge factor of the Chiefs' trading him at the 11th hour of preseason), and with Darnold back, Robby Anderson becomes a credible flex play again as well.

I'd probly start Hyde and wash my hands of it, but if you want to wait until gametime to make a decision, Robby isn't a terrible fall-back plan.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, oldtimer said:

DJ averaged 16.2 points per week in 2018 in PPR.  He did enough to be a worthy starter.  The problem is if you take out his week 10 performance against the Chiefs, he only averaged 13.8 points per game in PPR for the season.  He had 7 games under 15 points, including 4 of the last 6 games of the season, the ones that count.  There was only a single game, the Chiefs game, where you can look at his points total and say he likely won you a week.  Only twice outside of that did he even crack 20 points with scores of 21.2 and 20.1, way back in weeks 5 & 6.  The final 6 games of the season he averaged only 13.63 points per game in PPR.  That is nowhere near good enough for a guy who was being taken top 3 overall.  In fact, those are WR3 numbers.  Again, I have nothing against DJ and hope he does well, but I think he's seriously overhyped.  Like many fantasy players, he had one tremendous season and the people that owned him that year are likely to keep drafting him hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again.  While he hasn't missed much time in the NFL, I posted in the preseason his injury designations over the past few years.  He has been on the injury report fairly often.  With RB's, eventually you go from Questionable to simply Out as you lose more tread on the tires.  Considering he will be 28 next season, if I owned him in Dynasty, I would be looking to sell. 

well, when you pick a player that high and he plays on a bad team it is a risk.

game scripts go against him in the second half most weeks.    why you draft him is because he can get as many points catching the ball as he does running the ball.  Not many RB's out there like that.

so the risk with a player like him is substantially less than it is with comparable players on other teams.   Thats why you  take him in round 1 or early round 2  of your redraft.

I'd argue because he was playing on such a bad team, taking him in the first half of round 1 wasnt the best choice.

dont get me wrong, I love the player, but value is value and I dont think the value is there as a top 5 pick.   not with a rookie QB and a team with a subpar O line.

boy oh boy. starting ekeler in ppr but other choices are mccoy vs houston, chris thompson vs mia, latavius murray vs saints, edmonds vs atlanta.

would really be nice to have some clarity on kamara and dj. fawwwk lol

56 minutes ago, Pinesprings said:

boy oh boy. starting ekeler in ppr but other choices are mccoy vs houston, chris thompson vs mia, latavius murray vs saints, edmonds vs atlanta.

would really be nice to have some clarity on kamara and dj. fawwwk lol

Damn that's a bunch of dart throws. I'm starting Ogunbawale, Chris Conley, Steve Sims Jr, Charles Clay, and Blake Jarwin in a deep dynasty league. That's how brutal my injuries and byes are. Abd that's with assuming Kamara, David Johnson and Hill play. If those 3 guys are out... 

I think DJ plays, but a back injury is a tricky one. It sounds like they want to be cautious with him, and a back is the kind of thing that could feel fine today and then flare up tomorrow before the game. 

I think Edmonds is playable this week if you’re in a pinch, even if DJ is active. The game could end up being a track meet, and I think Arizona likes what they’ve seen out of Edmonds and will likely look to get him involved more regardless of DJ’s availability. They were impressive running the ball last week and I think you’ll see a lot more of both players on the field at the same time, especially with injuries at WR.

One thing to watch out for is the availability of Christian Kirk. If he plays I think he soaks up a lot of the targets that might be available to DJ and moreso Edmonds. (For the record I’m a Cardinals fan)