Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

The New York Jets' Defense

Axe Elf will now help you win your league.

The New York Jets' defense is probably available on your waiver wire as a free agent today.  Pick them up.  Even if you're sporting the Patriots or the 49ers or the Bears right now (well, especially the Bears, since they are going into their bye this week)--make room, cut some dead weight, do whatever you have to do to add the New York Jets to your roster.

That should be all that any serious student of the Elf Institute needs to hear, but some of the mouth-breathing frat boys might need to have things spelled out a little more clearly, so here goes...

The Jets are widely available because they currently rank 10th among fantasy defenses with 43 fantasy points and they just had their bye--but--they just had their bye.  That means that their 43 fantasy points were amassed in only FOUR weeks, compared to most other teams who have been scoring points for FIVE weeks.  If you prorate the Jets' 43 points to five weeks, they should have 54 points--which would rank them 4th in the NFL behind the Patriots, Bears, and 49ers.

And they haven't been playing cupcake offenses, either.  I mean they haven't been facing KILLER offenses, but they've been legitimate--the Patriots, the Eagles, Buffalo and Cleveland.  If you average those four teams' current offensive ranks(11, 12, 23, 24), they would be at 17.5, which is right around the middle of the 32-team NFL pack.

But they WILL be facing cupcake offenses...  After the next 3-game stretch against Dallas (#1), New England (#11) and Jacksonville (#6), the Jets close out the fantasy season against the Giants (#15), Miami (#31), Washington (#28), Oakland (#21), Cincinnati (#26), Miami (#31), Baltimore (#3), and Pittsburgh (#29).  Even with that game against Baltimore in there, that's an average of #23 for those 8 teams (and an average of #26 without Baltimore).  The Jets don't score a lot of points themselves on offense, so opposing teams don't have to race to outscore them--the Jets' D benefits from a lot of teams just running out the clock against them.

So if you can carry 2 Ds through the next three weeks, then you'll have the Jets past their bye ready to start for you the rest of the season.  And like I said, even if you have one of the three defenses that are currently doing better than the Jets, those teams all have tough matchups coming up in weeks where the Jets could bail you out.  The Patriots have a Week 10 bye when the Jets play the Giants, and they play Dallas (#1), Kansas City (#2) and Buffalo (#12) down the playoff stretch in Weeks 12, 14 and 16, when the Jets have Oakland, Miami and Pittsburgh.  The Bears have a TERRIBLE schedule from Week 10 on--Detroit (#8), the Rams (#5), the Giants (#15), Detroit (#8), Dallas (#1), Green Bay (#25), and Kansas City (#2).  San Francisco also has a brutal schedule through the fantasy playoff run, closing their season against Baltimore, New Orleans, Atlanta and the Rams in Weeks 13-16.

So run with the Jets as your sole defense, or use them to shore up the holes in the schedule of another top defense, but get them now while you can.  Oh, and even if you don't like their game with Baltimore in Week 15--Miami is playing the Giants that week; they will almost certainly be available for a Week 15 band-aid.  (And if you're carrying the Patriots or Bears, their Week 15 matchups are playable instead of the Jets against Baltimore.)

You're welcome.

• Like 1

Jets fan here.

and i disagree.

week 1 they had an uncharacteristic and unusual amount of turnovers and a defensive td with the bills backed up against the goal line which quite frankly was more on the bills than the jets.

the game against the pats they scored on a muffed punt and a late pick 6 in the fourth from stidham. It was fluky.

the eagles game saw two pick 6s against the jets which don’t count against the dst.

with darnold coming back the offense will score a lot more than you’re giving them credit for. Pair that with our incredibly weak corners and non existent pass rush and this is a defense to avoid.

1 hour ago, SexyRexy said:

week 1 they had an uncharacteristic and unusual amount of turnovers and a defensive td with the bills backed up against the goal line which quite frankly was more on the bills than the jets.

the game against the pats they scored on a muffed punt and a late pick 6 in the fourth from stidham. It was fluky.

the eagles game saw two pick 6s against the jets which don’t count against the dst.

Defensive TDs are always fluky, but right now the Jets are leading the NFL with 3 defensive TDs, despite having played only 4 games.  They also have 8 turnovers, which is tied for 7th in the league (tied for 5th on a per-game basis), and a safety.

You can avoid them if you want, because every league needs 11 also-rans, but as always, the league Champions will be thanking Axe Elf for the heads up.

I’ve taken notice of the Jets. I geeked out and have a spreadsheet of plus matchups for defenses by week. 

Timing is the factor. Planning out when you have BYE weeks covered and can start dropping backups. 

55 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Defensive TDs are always fluky, but right now the Jets are leading the NFL with 3 defensive TDs, despite having played only 4 games.  They also have 8 turnovers, which is tied for 7th in the league (tied for 5th on a per-game basis), and a safety.

You can avoid them if you want, because every league needs 11 also-rans, but as always, the league Champions will be thanking Axe Elf for the heads up.

Alrighty then. Good luck w that.

13 minutes ago, SexyRexy said:

Alrighty then. Good luck w that.

Luck is for the Elfless.

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Pats gave been so good I might start them on their bye

In ESPN scoring, that would give you a higher expected point total than the Dolphins, who have a four-week total of -13 fantasy points.

That reminds me. I forgot to thank the Elf for convincing me to jettison Dalvin Cook before week four "when he always gets injured and goes down".  Thanks Buddy!

I remember when Axe said Cooper Kupp wasn't worth a 4th round pick.  Thanks, Axe!

quite possibly the dumbest post ever.  Thanks AXy boy.... ill be sure to get right on that   

1 hour ago, loonecho said:

That reminds me. I forgot to thank the Elf for convincing me to jettison Dalvin Cook before week four "when he always gets injured and goes down".  Thanks Buddy!

Axe Elf has never suggested that anyone jettison Dalvin Cook for any reason, ever.  You must have him confused with someone else.

25 minutes ago, nobody said:

I remember when Axe said Cooper Kupp wasn't worth a 4th round pick.  Thanks, Axe!

You must also have Axe Elf confused with someone else.  Axe Elf drafted Cooper Kupp to 13 of his own 20 teams this season, with the (accurate) expectation that Kupp would return top 5 PPR WR value.

Seems like half my job these days is correcting all the tall tales that people like to make up about me.  It would be nice if people would tell more flattering lies about Axe Elf sometimes, but then I guess that just about every epic fantasy football accomplishment that can be dreamed of in heaven or on Earth--no matter how outlandish--has already been accomplished by Axe Elf in reality.

There's no room for flattering exaggerations when all the superlatives are true.

"Axe Elf has never suggested that anyone jettison Dalvin Cook for any reason, ever You must have him confused with someone else."

loonecho never said Axe Elf suggested that he jettison Dalvin Cook. He said you convinced  him. You must have him confused with someone else.

1 hour ago, loonecho said:

"Axe Elf has never suggested that anyone jettison Dalvin Cook for any reason, ever You must have him confused with someone else."

loonecho never said Axe Elf suggested that he jettison Dalvin Cook. He said you convinced  him. You must have him confused with someone else.

Axe followed me around the message boards from two weeks prior to the season, and to this day, suggesting Dalvin Cook would be injured by now and he was not worth the draft slot.  Good thing the message board is still here so people can read the posts.

As for the Jets Defense  -  I think Axe is forgetting the fact that offenses typically play up the weakness of the opposing defense.  With Darnold coming back, teams will likely have to score more, instead of just pounding the rock.  The Jets will be giving up more points down the line, not fewer.  Also, Axe hasn't been watching the games.  The Giants, with Barkley in tow, will be a formidable offense for most defenses to stop.  Jones will have more games under his belt and the Jets aren't exactly rock solid in the front seven.  Oakland has been doing ok as well.  I think they will be a middle of the pack defense, and if you don't have anything better, give them a shot.  They aren't going to win anyone a league though.  lol   How many superstar defenses have ever taken anyone to a Title?  Yeah, it wasn't the QB, RB or WR's, it was the Defense...…  lol   Even the top Defense is only helpful, not a league winner.  Jacksonville two years ago was great, but not a league winner.  The Ravens in the early 2000's were great, but they weren't winning anyone a title on their own merit. 

5 hours ago, loonecho said:

To "convince" is to persuade someone to do something.  For Axe Elf to persuade you to jettison Dalvin Cook, Axe Elf would have to suggest that you to do so.  Since this has never been the case, it is incorrect to conclude that Axe Elf convinced you to jettison Dalvin Cook.  It seems more likely that you convinced yourself to jettison Dalvin Cook, and now you have confused yourself with Axe Elf.

While confusing oneself with Axe Elf is the substance of daydreams for fantasy football players and inadequate lovers around the globe, it is nevertheless an insufficient basis for attributing something to the real Axe Elf.

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Axe followed me around the message boards from two weeks prior to the season, and to this day, suggesting Dalvin Cook would be injured by now and he was not worth the draft slot.  Good thing the message board is still here so people can read the posts.

People can only read posts that axually exist.

I'm sure if such posts axually existed, you would take great pride in quoting them, linking to them, and pointing out all of Axe Elf's errors with circles and arrows and paragraphs explaining each one.

However, since these posts exist only in a world of your own creation, any request for evidence, proof, or substantiation of any of your slanderous claims results in nothing more than mealymouthed tail-tucking like "You can look them up," or "Everyone remembers them."

Here, I'll help you out.  I will now quote every post in which Axe Elf decreed that Dalvin Cook was not worthy of his ADP:

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If that's the ghost that's "following you around the message boards," then perhaps you need professional help.  Fortunately for you, Axe Elf also happens to be a psychologist.  You can PM me dates and times that will work for you in setting up an initial consultation.

Or, if these things you claim about Axe Elf are true, you can probably embarrass him into leaving the site by merely providing one (1) instance of documenting your accusation.

I'm curious to see which option you will choose...

38 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

People can only read posts that axually exist.

I'm sure if such posts axually existed, you would take great pride in quoting them, linking to them, and pointing out all of Axe Elf's errors with circles and arrows and paragraphs explaining each one.

However, since these posts exist only in a world of your own creation, any request for evidence, proof, or substantiation of any of your slanderous claims results in nothing more than mealymouthed tail-tucking like "You can look them up," or "Everyone remembers them."

Here, I'll help you out.  I will now quote every post in which Axe Elf decreed that Dalvin Cook was not worthy of his ADP:

If that's the ghost that's "following you around the message boards," then perhaps you need professional help.  Fortunately for you, Axe Elf also happens to be a psychologist.  You can PM me dates and times that will work for you in setting up an initial consultation.

Or, if these things you claim about Axe Elf are true, you can probably embarrass him into leaving the site by merely providing one (1) instance of documenting your accusation.

I'm curious to see which option you will choose...

I don't need to link to anything, that's the great part.  Everyone on this board knows how much you bash(ed) Dalvin Cook.  Everyone also knows how many times I've posted how great he would be this season, followed by a post from you, every time, telling me how poor of a decision it was.  Go read any Dalvin Cook article on this site.  :)   No need for me to do anything with your reputation as a troll more than speaks for itself. 

I distinctly remember Axe saying not to draft Dalvin because he was such an injury risk.  That's why I passed on him.  In Axe I trust.  

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

31 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I don't need to link to anything, that's the great part.  Everyone on this board knows how much you bash(ed) Dalvin Cook.  Everyone also knows how many times I've posted how great he would be this season, followed by a post from you, every time, telling me how poor of a decision it was.  Go read any Dalvin Cook article on this site.

It's like I have a time machine or something, with predictions this accurate.

20 minutes ago, nobody said:

I distinctly remember Axe saying not to draft Dalvin because he was such an injury risk.  That's why I passed on him.  In Axe I trust.  

Don't just remember it distinctly, be oldtimer's hero and axually post evidence or a link to substantiate this.  Then maybe people will trust in you as much as they trust in Axe Elf.

No?

That's what I thought...

43 minutes ago, nobody said:

Why don't you just quote the posts showing you didn't say that.

I did, six posts above.

So you can't.  That's okay.  Everyone makes mistakes you're still probably a competent fantasy player.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

I did, six posts above.

30 minutes ago, nobody said:

So you can't.

What's with everyone acting like Axe Elf said the opposite of what he axually said?

LOL

Lots of skilled fishermen on this site, all baiting and reeling in the same stupid flounder over and over again. Excellent work Gentlemen!

8 minutes ago, loonecho said:

Lots of skilled fishermen on this site

At least you stopped short of calling them master baiters...

On 10/9/2019 at 10:25 PM, shorepatrol said:

Axe is good for laughs. 

couldn't agree more, total comic relief 

I liked what I saw today.

They didn't do enough to make them a hot waiver wire prospect just yet--so you should still be able to pick them up for peanuts this week--but they held the #1 offense in the NFL to 3 FGs through 3+ quarters.

They're gonna be solid when they hit that stretch of cupcakes with Mosley back.

I have had the pats so far this year.

plan on spot filling with the jets v wash and mia

5 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

20 leagues? Christ man. Have you heard of weed and vagina? 

This guy has over 200 leagues, and he gets more of those than we do.

One way to establish credibility is throw a bunch of predictions up on the wall, and delete whatever doesn’t work out in your favor.

;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

One way to establish credibility is throw a bunch of predictions up on the wall, and delete whatever doesn’t work out in your favor.

;) 

Yeah, but Axe Elf would never resort to such pedestrian tactics.

Axe Elf gives you ONE defense to win your league, and you get on board, or you miss out.

I picked up the Jets D last week to pair with the Steelers D, from week 8 on it is cake walk after cake walk... which means they will both do terribly.

I know it's the Patriots this week but would it be completely crazy to start them this week in a bind? CJ Mosley returned to practice and looks on track to play. If you want to see the difference he makes with this defense look at what happened in Week 1 before/after he left the game. The Patriots aren't exactly coming into this game completely healthy. I currently have the Packers who have a great matchup against the Raiders (along with the Jets stash) but need to open up a roster spot for Barkley. Would it be crazy playing the NYJ this week? 

8 minutes ago, AintNoStoppinMeNow said:

I know it's the Patriots this week but would it be completely crazy to start them this week in a bind? CJ Mosley returned to practice and looks on track to play. If you want to see the difference he makes with this defense look at what happened in Week 1 before/after he left the game. The Patriots aren't exactly coming into this game completely healthy. I currently have the Packers who have a great matchup against the Raiders (along with the Jets stash) but need to open up a roster spot for Barkley. Would it be crazy playing the NYJ this week? 

You'll cost yourself a few points, but you'll probly cost yourself more if you can't start Barkley.  Since you want the Jets going forward for sure, I'd go ahead and drop the Packers to activate Barkley.

If you listened to Axe Elf and started the Jets DST over the Patriots DST this week, you gained 3 points.

Thank you, Axe Elf!

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

If you listened to Axe Elf and started the Jets DST over the Patriots DST this week, you gained 3 points.

Thank you, Axe Elf!

You’re taking a victory lap after that performance by the Jets D? Child, please!