Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Joker: anyone watch it?

The only reason I’d have any interest in seeing this is J Phoenix. I read that he’s great but it’s just a Taxi Driver ripoff. I love Taxi Driver but don’t need to see a new version. Pass. 

9 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Heard a lot of good things about it. Seems to have scored really well also. 

There are hard leftists who don't like it, so that means it's a must see for me.

• Like 1

I might watch it someday but fock, you had Heath ledger do this not all that long ago now so it seems kinda dumb to me. But all that superhero stuff is recycled trash imo

Uh oh, will this one get attacked as well I wonder....

i saw it.  the plot is pretty thin and most of the appeal is watching Phoenix delve into an interesting role and deliver a very good performance.  not on the epic level of ledgers joker but good nonetheless.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

The only reason I’d have any interest in seeing this is J Phoenix. I read that he’s great but it’s just a Taxi Driver ripoff. I love Taxi Driver but don’t need to see a new version. Pass. 

I don't watch many movies but I'm a fan of his.  I'll watch it on video.

Saw it... Plot is fair. Nothing special.

Phoenix saves it with his performance and the cinematography is very good.  

Saw it...my scale is 3 is average, 4-4.5 Oscarish 4.5+ are in the classic range---I'd give this 3.5 little better than average with an strong, maybe Oscar caliber performance from Phoenix.  I don't feel it's as great as the hype it's getting---8 minute standing O at Venice film festival...   Phoenix does a very good job, no doubt and i love the feel of NYC transformed into 80's Gotham, but I don't find Todd Phillips & Scott Silver nearly as clever and as thought provoking as they view themselves. 

To be as non-spoilerish as possible, my critique would be if as a director you want to present a movie the way they do, leave unanswered the questions they leave unanswered---you have to pick a lane and make your film from that lane.   The movie comes off trying to be like the Sixth Sense or Fight Club, asking you to explore the film a second time for clues that will provide understanding, but in the end, the answer will always be ambiguous...and that's not directing, that's not art-that's just being pretentious for the sake of being pretentious.   Art makes a choice and this film doesn't.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I heard people actually liked his version of Joker. Ledgers is still better but they were saying Phoenix is the second best joker 

19 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

LOL--you pretty much said how I feel, but you said it a lot more succinctly.   

First R rated movie to make a billion$ and did so without the help of China and it had a small budget <100mil. Really impressive.

Heath Ledger was amazing.