Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

So, my job, or lack thereof...

Recommended Posts

I mentioned a little while back that I sensed that my position was in jeopardy.  That has come to fruition.  The stated reason is that they need a person in another location more than here; the unstated reason is that I've challenged the sales director I'm most aligned with on some engagements (part of my role, allegedly), but this guy wants a lap dog yes man.  Also he wants a glorified field engineer, where I was hired to be more of a sales specialist.

I lose network access today but am on the payroll until mid November, then get a few months severance.  I've got one main last shot at an adjacent position but it is 50/50 at best at this point.  

Anyway, look at meeeeee$#@!@!#$@!  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer, sorry to hear it jer.

That’s a pretty decent cushion though of about 3-4 months? Do you think you’ll be able to find something else in that timeframe? Not a bad time as the economy is still decent. Could be a good thing in the end :dunno:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck. I hate seeing anyone lose a job. I think you'll be good though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  Sorry to hear.  What am I supposed to tell people now?  That I'm friends online with an unemployed engineering sales specialist?  That ain't gonna work.  You better find a job, and fast.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry to hear.

 

there might be a market for ghey, peemus wedding cakes for you

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Bummer, sorry to hear it jer.

That’s a pretty decent cushion though of about 3-4 months? Do you think you’ll be able to find something else in that timeframe? Not a bad time as the economy is still decent. Could be a good thing in the end :dunno:

About 3 months.  I should be OK and we have savings if needed.  Economy is good but what I do is specialized so it may take longer than normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Wow.  Sorry to hear.  What am I supposed to tell people now?  That I'm friends online with an unemployed engineering sales specialist?  That ain't gonna work.  You better find a job, and fast.

I'm technically on the payroll until 11/11.  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer but, good luck on the job hunt. Economy is booming, it's an employees market.

You'll be fine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Sorry to hear it. Thank god you aren’t a white male over 50, or it might be hard to find a job. :o

I don't look a day over 48.  :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

I don't look a day over 48.  :mellow:

Roses are red.
Your blood is too.
You look like a monkey
And belong in a zoo.
Do not worry,
I'll be there too.
Not in the cage,
But laughing at you.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, taco breath said:

so you will be posting more?  :(

Heck no, now I need to work hard to find a job where I can post more.  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear man.  I haven't looked lately but we're usually hiring :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have just agreed to keep asking if the customers wanted fries with their orders and not put up such a fuss, wtf 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Strike said:

Sorry to hear man.  I haven't looked lately but we're usually hiring :)

I should have taken you up on that one you mentioned a few months ago, it isn't posted anymore.  :wall:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What kind of engineering? Janitorial?

Get woke man, the new term is "custodial."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nospk said:

Should have just agreed to keep asking if the customers wanted fries with their orders and not put up such a fuss, wtf 

The problem is that I sell electronic HW and SW, and without thinking I sold a customer the entire fryolator.  My 19 yr old manager wasn't happy.  :(

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Get woke man, the new term is "custodial."

Correct, but your title included the term “sanitation.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough break, sorry to hear that. I've been there and things can seem bleak at first but they have a way of working out. Hopefully you find a job that's a good fit for you and works well for your family's needs. 

In the short term, enjoy the time off. Too bad you're doing that sober October thing, I'm sure you could use a drink right about now. I'll have one for ya. :cheers:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to hear it man...hope for the best case scenario for you...a former employee paid vacation and a new job right when you need.   Good luck, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how the job market is in other areas of the country, but where I’m at, it’s an employee’s market. We’re paying up to bring in talent and cannot get some positions filled.

Are you up for relocating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suddenly, sober October is starting to make more sense. 🧐

 

Just kidding... I’m sure you’ll land on your feet. In the meantime, might I suggest putting a positive spin on your next job title. Director of salutational communications sounds much better than Walmart greeter. 😘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you going to file for unemployment benefits ASAP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck Jerry. I've been there, without the severance though. That sucked phat dong. You'll be OK. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Get woke man, the new term is "custodial."

Oh we’ve got a Geek in that. Drobs can probably help you out — just don’t tell him if you’re union ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good luck. I hate seeing anyone lose a job. I think you'll be good though. 

Oh...He'll be good. Met the guy in person on a couple of occasions. Very smart man. :thumbsup:

Still suck with the job loss, though. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear it Jerry. Sounds like you’ve got a really good supportive family and you’re a smart capable guy so I am sure you’ll land on your feet.

Keep us posted. :cheers: 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Tough break, sorry to hear that. I've been there and things can seem bleak at first but they have a way of working out. Hopefully you find a job that's a good fit for you and works well for your family's needs. 

In the short term, enjoy the time off. Too bad you're doing that sober October thing, I'm sure you could use a drink right about now. I'll have one for ya. :cheers:

 

Yeah, I knew this was going down a while ago.  That was another reason to do it, because otherwise I'd be pretty drunk right about now.  Which wouldn't bode well for my anniversary celebration.  🤪

2 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Best wishes skids.  

This could turn into the opportunity of a lifetime!

 

 

I'm hoping.  I don't exactly love my current role so it could become a blessing in disguise.

2 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Hate to hear it man...hope for the best case scenario for you...a former employee paid vacation and a new job right when you need.   Good luck, man.

I know right?!  If I line something up to start at the beginning of the year that would be the case (other than the work getting to that point).

2 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Not sure how the job market is in other areas of the country, but where I’m at, it’s an employee’s market. We’re paying up to bring in talent and cannot get some positions filled.

Are you up for relocating?

No on relocating, in fact I could have kept my job had I moved to the east coast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldMaid said:

Suddenly, sober October is starting to make more sense. 🧐

 

Just kidding... I’m sure you’ll land on your feet. In the meantime, might I suggest putting a positive spin on your next job title. Director of salutational communications sounds much better than Walmart greeter. 😘

See my last post.  It was something of a preemptive move.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, posty said:

Are you going to file for unemployment benefits ASAP?

I'm still employed until 11/11.  I guess I'll do it then but with my severance I don't know that I'd get any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear skids but something tells me you'll land on your feet just fine.

 

 

 

Of course if you don't I can always get you hooked up with Uber,plus I get a kickback :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Job .wrist is smoking right now.  Keep an open mind.  Where I work, we're hiring anyone that wears pants to the interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nzoner said:

Sorry to hear skids but something tells me you'll land on your feet just fine.

 

 

 

Of course if you don't I can always get you hooked up with Uber,plus I get a kickback :D

My wife tossed out the idea that I do it a few hours a day to get out and get my people interaction fix.  If I decide to do it I'll let you know.  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

My wife tossed out the idea that I do it a few hours a day to get out and get my people interaction fix.  If I decide to do it I'll let you know.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

My wife tossed out the idea that I do it a few hours a day to get out and get my people interaction fix.  If I decide to do it I'll let you know.  :thumbsup:

That's what we're here for though :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow this thread has been the funniest in a while.  Great responses.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×