Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Will you sell high on any stud player?

I like to know how others approach this.  Naturally most owners will sell high on a waiver wire type guy, or someone they drafted very late and they don't have the history to suggest they will maintain their current level of play. 

What about your studs though?  When they are on an other-worldly roll, would you trade them if a crazy good offer comes in?  I play mostly Dynasty, so I am looking at it from this perspective, however, it can be looked at in redraft or keeper as well.  Normally I will not trade a player I consider to be a star, but an offer came in last night for one of my stud guys (Cook) that is impossible to ignore.  Even if he keeps up this pace, which I believe he can, the offer was extremely solid. 

If the deal makes your team better you do it, if it doesn't you don't. I realize its is generally more nuanced than that, but when you break it down to the root, that's the only question you need to ask and answer.

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I like to know how others approach this.  Naturally most owners will sell high on a waiver wire type guy, or someone they drafted very late and they don't have the history to suggest they will maintain their current level of play. 

What about your studs though?  When they are on an other-worldly roll, would you trade them if a crazy good offer comes in?  I play mostly Dynasty, so I am looking at it from this perspective, however, it can be looked at in redraft or keeper as well.  Normally I will not trade a player I consider to be a star, but an offer came in last night for one of my stud guys (Cook) that is impossible to ignore.  Even if he keeps up this pace, which I believe he can, the offer was extremely solid. 

To me it’s like any other trade, and I think dynasty makes this easier.  All players, stud or not, tend to hover around career averages.  I think a year like Cook is having could easily become a career year if he stays healthy...which is the other thing to consider here.  If you like the return, I’d do it.

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

With an offer for him on the table, you have to consider that this is Week 6, when Cook traditionally goes down for the season.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

With an offer for him on the table, you have to consider that this is Week 6, when Cook traditionally goes down for the season.

Nah.  We've long passed that point.  The offer is sound though.  A top rookie WR (next season) from the Devy Draft, a top QB and a 1st round pick in the rookie draft. 

If I think it would improve my team I would trade away a stud player. 

Learn a long time ago, don’t ever fall in love with any player, man will always let you down. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

If I think it would improve my team I would trade away a stud player. 

Learn a long time ago, don’t ever fall in love with any player, man will always let you down. 

I could have told you that players don't usually date their fans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I bet they do.

I would think it highly unlikely that a player dates someone who's never heard of them.

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I pretty much only play dynasty as well and when I look to trade a big name player, it's usually to get younger.

The only time I really look at it in the short term is if I'm in title contention and think it will put me over the top

I start studs, I don’t deal them away. I trade bums or overachievers or 1 week wonders. Not an exact science and it can backfire easily but I really loathe selling stud commodities for speculative value or multiple pieces. 

So even if you have a stud, that’s not performing as a ff stud, you wouldn’t trade someone who really wanted that player for a player that would make your ff team better? Who wouldn’t trade to make your team better?  Interesting 

8 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

So no calls from D J huh? 

I tried unloading Copper Kupp for Mark Ingram, but it was shot down. My buddy countered with David Montgomery, but I don't want any part of the Bears' backfield.

Who do you currently have at rb, I mean Kupp for Ingram. Wow. 

2 hours ago, rallo said:

I tried unloading Copper Kupp for Mark Ingram, but it was shot down.

Thank your lucky stars!

LOL at "unloading" the burden of a top 5 WR...

19 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Thank your lucky stars!

LOL at "unloading" the burden of a top 5 WR...

It's standard scoring, and while not a burden, I don't think that Kupp continues at this top 5 production. I understand that I would have been giving up slightly too much, but Freeman is killing me in the WR2 spot.

5 minutes ago, rallo said:

It's standard scoring, and while not a burden, I don't think that Kupp continues at this top 5 production. I understand that I would have been giving up slightly too much, but Freeman is killing me in the WR2 spot.

Well yeah, Antonio Freeman has been retired for years; you definitely need a better WR2.

But Kupp has been a top 5 WR for two years running now, and he's just entering his prime; I don't think he's going away any time soon.

9 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Well yeah, Antonio Freeman has been retired for years; you definitely need a better WR2.

But Kupp has been a top 5 WR for two years running now, and he's just entering his prime; I don't think he's going away any time soon.

Haha, yes, mia culpa, meant to say Freeman in the RB2... although Antonio Freeman's roll over catch will be one of my happier FF moments.

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

Who do you currently have at rb, I mean Kupp for Ingram. Wow. 

Carson, Freeman, Lindsay, Hyde

I’m okay with it in 2 for 1 situations. For instance, I lacked rb depth in a league. I recently traded Dalvin Cook for Chris Carson and Tevin Coleman. I didn’t have Mattison in that league so it was a bit easier to let it go as a Cook 2019 truther.

28 minutes ago, jimaveli said:

I’m okay with it in 2 for 1 situations. For instance, I lacked rb depth in a league. I recently traded Dalvin Cook for Chris Carson and Tevin Coleman. I didn’t have Mattison in that league so it was a bit easier to let it go as a Cook 2019 truther.

It was a good time to let him go, too, since we're coming up on Week 6, when Cook traditionally goes down for the season.

Yes.  I'm in two deep keepers (6 and 10 players).  If I can get a young player that I think will be the next big thing and/or a pick or two on return.  You got a deal.

Figured I'd give an update on why I asked the question.  Last Friday, I ended up trading Dalvin Cooks.  It ended up being a trade that worked for both sides.  My QB's, prior to the season, were Andrew Luck and Big Ben.  That didn't exactly work out.  I won the league last season (Dynasty League), and thought I'd be doing much better this season.  We have 25 man rosters in a 12 team league, so there is almost never anyone available on waivers.  So, I gave up Dalvin Cook and received L. Jackson (QB), CeeDee Lamb (stud WR for next year and beyond) and a 1st round (late pick) in the rookie draft next Spring.  I would have been more than happy with just Lamb and Jackson, but held out for the 1st as well.  His team already had Kyler Murray and Matt Ryan at QB and CMC at RB.  His WR's are all WR4's.  Flat out bad.  With the play he has had at QB and RB though, he's rolled out to a 5-1 start. 

I will always sell high on my studs in redraft if I feel my team starting to slip away. Maybe a 1-3 or 2-4 start. Gotta start fishing for a blockbuster to shake things up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I will always sell high on my studs in redraft if I feel my team starting to slip away. Maybe a 1-3 or 2-4 start. Gotta start fishing for a blockbuster to shake things up.

I agree with this 100%.  It's weird how it works, but sometimes making a change either makes the owner pay more attention, or just seems to work out.  My luck in trading away my studs has always been pretty good, but I think some of it is because I won't settle on what I want.  I want to win the trade if I am giving up a top player.  Consistent players are difficult to find, especially at RB, so I feel like if someone wants them, they will have to pay a premium price. 

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I agree with this 100%.  It's weird how it works, but sometimes making a change either makes the owner pay more attention, or just seems to work out.  My luck in trading away my studs has always been pretty good, but I think some of it is because I won't settle on what I want.  I want to win the trade if I am giving up a top player.  Consistent players are difficult to find, especially at RB, so I feel like if someone wants them, they will have to pay a premium price. 

Exactly. I would need a 2 for 1 or a 3 for 1 to shore up any/all the holes on my roster. And then pray on Sunday’s lol.

I trade studs that underperform and I start studs that are playing well. I traded Hopkins and Rodgers for example. The name value will always fetch more than the scores would suggest. It’s really hard to pry studs playing well away from me.

2 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

I trade studs that underperform and I start studs that are playing well. I traded Hopkins and Rodgers for example. The name value will always fetch more than the scores would suggest. It’s really hard to pry studs playing well away from me.

I agree if they are playing well, they are nearly untradeable.  That said, if your team is 1-3, 2-4, 3-5.....  It's time to make a change or risk missing the playoffs.  I got rid of Dalvin for a very specific reason.  Only partially was it because I love Cee Dee Lamb and was in desperate need of a QB.  The rookie pick was just a throw in because I wanted more.  I traded him, in part, because of how they are using Mattison.  If you watch them play, once Cook hits his 100 yards, or whatever and a TD, they start using Mattison.  In dynasty, my fear is when Cook is a free agent, they let him walk since they have Mattison for three more years.  They have almost no cap room and will be stuck until 2021, when Cousins contract is expired.  They will also be able to release or trade several players then who have no remaining guaranteed money on their deals.  It was 85% a need based trade and 15% based on a hunch they try not to overuse Cook if they appear headed to the playoffs.  Not to mention Mattison is looking great.