Mike FF Today

Lions at Packers: In-Game Discussion

13 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I will say, while the blame is almost entirely on the refs for those horrible calls, if you’re Flowers shouldn’t you go to the ref after the first one and make sure he knows what your move is, and that it’s not illegal?

In theory, the refs should know the rules, by the definition of being an official... 

27 minutes ago, Kelvarr said:

Are you kidding? Those "penalties" DIRECTLY led to 7 points, plus the ability to take the clock to 1 second, denying the Lions even a chance... 

If they would have called the penalties earlier in the game it could have changed the outcome of the game.  those penalties may have never happened because they never would have been in position to make them happen.

all I'm saying is you're looking at the penalties at the end of the game but you're not looking at the penalties they missed against Detroit earlier in the game.

No way that was hands to the face......However could they have been called Defensive holding on both occasions? Grab Olinemans shoulder pad and hang on to bull rush? 

7 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

If they would have called the penalties earlier in the game it could have changed the outcome of the game.  those penalties may have never happened because they never would have been in position to make them happen.

all I'm saying is you're looking at the penalties at the end of the game but you're not looking at the penalties they missed against Detroit earlier in the game.

I’m sure you had the exact same reaction after the Fail Mary a few years ago 

42 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I’m sure you had the exact same reaction after the Fail Mary a few years ago 

I'm not sure what this has to do with the current conversation. I can't even remember that game other than that non-catch.  You're talking about the Dallas-Green Bay game, correct?

Was that game proof the league wants to prop up Rodgers as one of their superstars or what?  Impressive job by the refs last night 

• Thanks 1

I'm 62 years old and been a Packer fan for 52 of those years. Last night-I'm always glad with a GB win, but the refs were terrible, they took the game away from Lions. That ref that called hands to the face twice on #90 should be fired.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I'm not sure what this has to do with the current conversation. I can't even remember that game other than that non-catch.  You're talking about the Dallas-Green Bay game, correct?

You’re a Packer fan and you don’t know what game Fail Mary refers to?

1 hour ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Was that game proof the league wants to prop up Rodgers as one of their superstars or what?  Impressive job by the refs last night 

Thats becaue the NFL DESPERATELY wants a New England vs Green Bay SuperBowl.  Since New England can rest their starters already and have locked up the AFC Championship, the NFL is in full damage control since the last thing they want is another BORING, pointless Super Bowl.  The Pats being in it already will cause lower ratings since everyone not living in Boston is so sick of the same old BS.  So, the NFL really needs a "headliner" matchup and Rodgers vs Brady is really the only one that will sell at all. 

Those are the facts.  The NFL is almost as rigged as the WWF used to be.  What  a joke this league has become.  Take me back to the 80s and 90s when real football existed.

2 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

Thats becaue the NFL DESPERATELY wants a New England vs Green Bay SuperBowl.  Since New England can rest their starters already and have locked up the AFC Championship, the NFL is in full damage control since the last thing they want is another BORING, pointless Super Bowl.  The Pats being in it already will cause lower ratings since everyone not living in Boston is so sick of the same old BS.  So, the NFL really needs a "headliner" matchup and Rodgers vs Brady is really the only one that will sell at all. 

Those are the facts.  The NFL is almost as rigged as the WWF used to be.  What  a joke this league has become.  Take me back to the 80s and 90s when real football existed.

Tin Foil hat ...... If this were so my pitiful Dallas Cowboys would have more than 4 playoff wins in 25 years. lol

22 minutes ago, Pinesprings said:

Tin Foil hat ...... If this were so my pitiful Dallas Cowboys would have more than 4 playoff wins in 25 years. lol

He may be speaking of conspiracies but he's not wrong about the nfl now being like big time wrestling.   It's entertainment now,  it's not football.   I'm not watching football anymore. 

And if I'm sold on that theory,  the next logical step is to believe the top superstars are getting a nudge forward here or there. 

19 minutes ago, Pinesprings said:

Ya know, I have to agree with you.  Im really surprised the Cowboys havent fared better.  I still thought their best chances were back with Romo & the gang but thats a while back now. 

11 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

He may be speaking of conspiracies but he's not wrong about the nfl now being like big time wrestling.   It's entertainment now,  it's not football.   I'm not watching football anymore. 

And if I'm sold on that theory,  the next logical step is to believe the top superstars are getting a nudge forward here or there. 

I dunno - something just feels "off" about it more than ever.  Maybe conspiracy is too harsh of a word but IMO things tend to go a certain way and it doesnt feel genuine.  Like the Falcons conventiently folding up shop so the NFL could make *sure* Voldemort & Darth Sidious got their 5th rings.    Its like they are making the Pats a "villian" to generate interest like the WWF had to fabricate "bad guys" for Hulk  Hogan to fight. :D  You know the drill.  And it aint just the Pats - plenty of other strange outcomes to games have occured.  Seattle got royally focked by the Refs so the Steelers, Bettis and Cowher could get "theirs".  The Seabags were handed a victory against the 49ers in that terrible playoff game some years back.  The list is growing, for sure.

Oh well.  Its just entertainment, as you said.  It matters NOT.  So, the best policy is to not take it seriously at all.  How can you? The game is much worse now than it ever was and parity is also worse than it ever was.  Not supposed to be that way with the new rules and free agency but it is. 

5 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

Ya know, I have to agree with you.  Im really surprised the Cowboys havent fared better.  I still thought their best chances were back with Romo & the gang but thats a while back now. 

You are right too. Those were definitely not hands to the face. Could they have been called Defensive holding since on both occasions he grabbed the tackles shoulder pad and held on for at least five seconds in order to bull rush him?

It was a horrendous call, both times. Not arguing that but would a defensive holding penalty given the Packers a first down too??? Surprised no-one has mentioned this. I am no rules expert so just asking, but both times it looked like obvious holding on flowers. 

39 minutes ago, Pinesprings said:

You are right too. Those were definitely not hands to the face. Could they have been called Defensive holding since on both occasions he grabbed the tackles shoulder pad and held on for at least five seconds in order to bull rush him?

It was a horrendous call, both times. Not arguing that but would a defensive holding penalty given the Packers a first down too??? Surprised no-one has mentioned this. I am no rules expert so just asking, but both times it looked like obvious holding on flowers. 

Defenders at the line of scrimmage are allowed to grab.  It's why o-linemen are taught to push and get the defenders hands away from them.  It rarely gets called.  A bigger issue is the nature of "automatic first down" penalties on 5 yard infractions.  If I recall at least one of those was on 3rd and 15 scenario and resulted in instant first down.  That's BS. Call the penalty, walk off 5 yrds, make 'em earn it.  I have no dog in this fight, neither a Packers nor a Lions fan...but the Lions got HOSED in this one.  They played a hell of a game, lots of intensity, and the "other team" (the ones is stripes) gave the game to the Pack.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jgcrawfish said:

Defenders at the line of scrimmage are allowed to grab.  It's why o-linemen are taught to push and get the defenders hands away from them.  It rarely gets called.  A bigger issue is the nature of "automatic first down" penalties on 5 yard infractions.  If I recall at least one of those was on 3rd and 15 scenario and resulted in instant first down.  That's BS. Call the penalty, walk off 5 yrds, make 'em earn it.  I have no dog in this fight, neither a Packers nor a Lions fan...but the Lions got HOSED in this one.  They played a hell of a game, lots of intensity, and the "other team" (the ones is stripes) gave the game to the Pack.  

Great post. You're right. If the refs are going to throw flags every other play then the penalty should be reduced. 

2 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Again, this has nothing to do with the current conversation.

If you don’t know which game I’m talking about, how do you know that it’s not relevant?

"They took the game away from the lions."

Lol

Outside of a couple early bombs the Lions did close to nothing on offense for 3 quarters.  While the Packers gave them opportunity to run away.

Lions have led all 5 games in the 4th quarter....they are 2-2-1. 

Not saying the refs werent bad.  Most of the time they should just swallow the whistle.  

Love the people who say the Lions played a hell of a game.  Um no they didnt.  Did you watch the game? They were good for a couple early plays.  Otherwise they were beat by Rodgers and the 3rd team recieving corw for 3 straight quarters.

8 hours ago, remote controller said:

Where is Swampdog when you need him?

Love that guy! Miss him...

Getting lost in all this mess is the superior job the Pack did on defense... Outside of the first couple of series where Savage's back-up got really confused and gave up two bombs (please come back soon, Savage!), the Pack D completely clamped down and suffocated the Lion O. Carryonmywayward Johnson averaged about 2 yards a rush for the entire game... he had nowhere to run... And after the first few series, the Lions averaged 10 yards a possession for the last 8 possessions... Shut down!  Meanwhile, Rodgers was going up and down the field with some practice-league receivers... What was the final yardage .... like 466 to 290?🤣

What evidence does anybody have that if they don't call that penalty and Cros goes ahead and makes an easy 35 yard FG that Detroit is going to march the field with no timeouts in a minute. Based upon their past 8 previous series where they were completely shut down?😀😀😀

GTFO🤣

Beiotch about that call, but the Packers dominated that game. Can't wait to run it back. Next time with Savage and our #1 and #2 receivers in tow.  (MVS also got hurt for a good portion of this game)....

3 plays, -8 yards

4 plays, 2 yards (FG)

7 plays, 34 yards (FG)

5 plays, 6 yards,

4 plays, 8 yards (FG)

6 plays, 16 yards

There is the 2nd half by the Lions.

Their pts were FGs.  Mostly gifts.  And another a 50 some yard FG.

But the narrative is that the Lions took it to the Packers and the refs were rhe reason the Packers won.  

44 minutes ago, donhaas said:

Beiotch about that call, but the Packers dominated that game. 

2 things. 

1 - The team with the best stats doesn't always win the game. 

2 - If the situation was flipped,  you would be unpleased right now.   

19 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

3 plays, -8 yards

4 plays, 2 yards (FG)

7 plays, 34 yards (FG)

5 plays, 6 yards,

4 plays, 8 yards (FG)

6 plays, 16 yards

There is the 2nd half by the Lions.

Their pts were FGs.  Mostly gifts.  And another a 50 some yard FG.

But the narrative is that the Lions took it to the Packers and the refs were rhe reason the Packers won.  

THIS ^

Meanwhile Packers had drives of 85 yards, 70, 58, 74, 72 .... with practice squad wide receivers and Aaron Jones fumbling and dropping easy touchdown passes 🤣

I sometimes wonder what games people are watching😎

5 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

2 things. 

Other than a couple aggressive bombs they hit early they did close to nothing on offense even being gifted great field position.

Id say their defense played decent but they went up against a talentless recieving core that made plenty of mistakes.

Lions didnt play good what so ever.  Or you could say other than early on the Packers defense had their way.

No one is saying the refs were good.  It happens every single game.  They miss calls each NFL game.

2 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

2 things. 

If it was flipped, I would be wondering how my team's offense could be completely shut down for 3 quarters and how I let the other team go up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down the field with practice squad receivers...

I've seen a ToucheCeption. I've seen Jerry Rice fumbling that should have ended a playoff game and it not being called. I've seen Rodgers pulled down by his facemask to end another playoff game but it wasn't called.  I've seen far worse reffing than this.

This was a missed call, too. But c'mon. Detroit sucked in this game. They were gifted two turnovers by a practice-league receiver and another by Jones. The couldn't capitalize. Beyond the first quarter and a trick play or two, they were completely dominated.

Also, they never ever scored on the fourth down at the goalline. That's 7 gift points.

Versus the 3 "gift" points the Packers got that they would have gotten anyways.

Only one of these incidents has led to endless crying, however 😀

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, donhaas said:

If it was flipped, I would be wondering how my team's offense could be completely shut down for 3 quarters and how I let the other team go up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down the field with practice squad receivers.

Funny 

GB was dominant because they were allowed to play 13 on 11

The Packers are overdue for a good ass Fockin from the refs in a big spot. They always seem to get the breaks in big spots. 

51 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The Packers are overdue for a good ass Fockin from the refs in a big spot. They always seem to get the breaks in big spots. 

Yeah... Like the end of the Eagles game where the defender held down both of MVS's arms at the game-winning goalline catch and the ball bounces off his chest (cuz he has no access to his arms) and is intercepted ending the game....

Packers always seem to get the breaks in the big spots :wall::wall::wall::wall:

Just admit it Don - don't make me call up swamp dog and get him back in here. Including the ref, the pack had 12 men on the field all night. 😎

9 minutes ago, Walter34 said:

Just admit it Don - don't make me call up swamp dog and get him back in here. Including the ref, the pack had 12 men on the field all night. 😎

😎I really do miss him😎

1 hour ago, donhaas said:

Yeah... Like the end of the Eagles game where the defender held down both of MVS's arms at the game-winning goalline catch and the ball bounces off his chest (cuz he has no access to his arms) and is intercepted ending the game....

Packers always seem to get the breaks in the big spots :wall::wall::wall::wall:

I did say seemed. 

14 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Do we get anything for the fouls that the Lions SHOULD have got called for but didn't?

No, because the league only admitted an error on that one play. That also means the Lions don't get anything for the first phantom HTTF penalty on Flowers, the missed DPI on Marvin Jones, or the unnecessary roughness penalty for the hit on Allison.

Have you figured out what the Fail Mary was yet?

23 hours ago, huskyhater75 said:

I'm 62 years old and been a Packer fan for 52 of those years. Last night-I'm always glad with a GB win, but the refs were terrible, they took the game away from Lions. That ref that called hands to the face twice on #90 should be fired.

Thanks for saying that. I've never understood people who need to spin everything for their team like they're a political consultant spinning for their candidate. I want the Lions to win every game they play, but I also have two eyes and an objective brain and can admit when they get a bad call in their favor.

(Although the funny thing is, I'm 46 and have been a Lions fan for 40 of them, and I literally can't remember a single time where the refs gifted the Lions a win. Not saying it never happened, just that I can't remember it. But in the last few years alone, there's been the KJ Wright batted ball on MNF, the DPI flag that got picked up in the 2014 wildcard game vs. Dallas, the phantom facemask on Rodgers in the 2015 Hail Mary game, and now this. Lions being Lions, they probably would have found a way to blow those games on their own, but bad officiating played a role in all of them.)