Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Nerd Alert.... Santa Monica in May

So... I've been in love with this German Soprano's voice for awhile now.  Her name is Diana Damru. 

I almost flew to NYC to see her perform at the MET a couple years ago but it didn't work out.

I saw a couple days ago she's going to be performing in May in LA.  I'm there gents... will be a nice weekend foe Mrs...beer and myself.  Never been to the real opera before.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/los-angeles/article/The-Broad-Stage-Celebrity-Opera-Series-Returns-with-Diana-Damrau-Nicolas-Test-20191010

Enjoy! I don't much get into opera just listening to it. But I did go to an opera once a few years ago. Saw madame butterfly. With the actors and a story (they had subtitles) it was really enjoyable. I would actually like to go again. 

Someone should write operas in English. Or at least translate the old ones. 

7 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You seen this chick beer? Skip to 3:20 for the modern part before bailing. 

Yup.. saw that long ago.  5th Element song...

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Yup.. saw that long ago.  5th Element song...

I show it to my students. Ordinarily they would pooh pooh opera, but since she's Chinese, they have to pretend to care. Kinda like us with soccer. 

• Haha 1

If you have time, head up to Sagebrush Cantina for brunch.  Hands down the best brunch I've ever had.  They have homemade infused vodka stations setup throughout the buffet... free (I usually tip a dollar).

23 minutes ago, Kanil said:

If you have time, head up to Sagebrush Cantina for brunch.  Hands down the best brunch I've ever had.  They have homemade infused vodka stations setup throughout the buffet... free (I usually tip a dollar).

That’s literally like 5 minutes from my house. 👍🏻

Also kinda out of the way if he’s going to be in Santa Monica.

5 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Yup.  Right down the street.  But he's right.  Their brunch is amazing. 

45 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

I assumed it would be like a 30 minute drive... am I wrong?  I usually come there from the Mailbu side of the canyons so I don't know the distance from Santa Monica but assumed it was about the same.  It's worth whatever the drive is, though!

10 minutes ago, Kanil said:

I assumed it would be like a 30 minute drive... am I wrong?  I usually come there from the Mailbu side of the canyons so I don't know the distance from Santa Monica but assumed it was about the same.  It's worth whatever the drive is, though!

Depends on the time of day and the traffic. Sat and Sun mornings those canyons can be brutal.