Sign in to follow this  
JOHN 316

1 DEF for ROS ??

Due to bye week issues, some managers in my league have dropped some good defences, so I'm wondering if any of you are rolling with 1 DEF for rest of the season or streaming ?

Available are BILLS, STEELERS, JAGUARS, EAGLES and 49ers....I currently have the RAVENS.

I have the #1 waiver priority, but never used it on a DEF before. 

I was considering using it on BUFFALO and perhaps pairing them with another one in a committee approach for the remainder of the season.....or at least until a playoff spot is secured.

I'm currently 6-0 and haven't made a waiver claim yet, just been picking up free agents when the waivers clear, but picking up a stout DEF definatley has me considering it

Opinions ?

I typically carry two defenses on my roster, but am willing to stream if the matchup is good.  The Steelers have a Bye, but they have been dominant the last few weeks.  The Bills are a rock solid choice as well.  Personally, I have the 49'ers and intend to keep rolling with them and/or Jacksonville, my other defense. 

BILLS and STEELERS  seem to have the best complimentary schedule...BILLS early (Week 7-12) on and then STEELERS (Week 8 and then from Week 12 onward)....of equal importance......... is it worth paying up by using my #1 ww priority for a DEF ?

I don't think I'd use the #1 waiver on a defense, but you could definitely pick up the Bills if they clear, now that they are past their bye.

I've been pimping the Jets--also past their bye.  They've got to get past NE in Week 7, but then their schedule gets a lot more attractive, pretty much for the ROS (JAX, MIA, NYG, WAS, OAK, CIN, MIA and PIT), except for Baltimore in Week 15.  If they're on your waiver wire, they will probly clear waivers and be available for free, given the matchup with NE this week, if you have the bench space to stash them for a week.  They also pair well with some of the big-name Ds (like NE and CHI) that have tougher matchups ahead.

6 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I don't think I'd use the #1 waiver on a defense, but you could definitely pick up the Bills if they clear, now that they are past their bye.

I've been pimping the Jets--also past their bye.  They've got to get past NE in Week 7, but then their schedule gets a lot more attractive, pretty much for the ROS (JAX, MIA, NYG, WAS, OAK, CIN, MIA and PIT), except for Baltimore in Week 15.  If they're on your waiver wire, they will probly clear waivers and be available for free, given the matchup with NE this week, if you have the bench space to stash them for a week.  They also pair well with some of the big-name Ds (like NE and CHI) that have tougher matchups ahead.

thanks for the input !

1 hour ago, JOHN 316 said:

Due to bye week issues, some managers in my league have dropped some good defences, so I'm wondering if any of you are rolling with 1 DEF for rest of the season or streaming ?

Available are BILLS, STEELERS, JAGUARS, EAGLES and 49ers....I currently have the RAVENS.

I have the #1 waiver priority, but never used it on a DEF before. 

I was considering using it on BUFFALO and perhaps pairing them with another one in a committee approach for the remainder of the season.....or at least until a playoff spot is secured.

I'm currently 6-0 and haven't made a waiver claim yet, just been picking up free agents when the waivers clear, but picking up a stout DEF definatley has me considering it

Opinions ?

I'm not sure of your scoring system on defense, but in my leagues, the 49'ers have been the 2nd best defense this season, behind only the Patriots and they've played one less game.  They are 30 points ahead of Buffalo at this point.  That front seven of the 'Niners is legit.  They can get after the QB as well as any defense in recent memory. 

1 hour ago, JOHN 316 said:

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm not sure of your scoring system on defense, but in my leagues, the 49'ers have been the 2nd best defense this season, behind only the Patriots and they've played one less game.  They are 30 points ahead of Buffalo at this point.  That front seven of the 'Niners is legit.  They can get after the QB as well as any defense in recent memory. 

Shoot, I don't know how I missed it, but I didn't see the 49ers sitting there on your list of potential pickups.  They're in 2nd place among defenses, even considering that they've played one less game than most other teams--and now they are past their bye, so set them and forget them the rest of the season!

Yes, I think the 49ers are a Defense that I would use the #1 waiver on.  Sorry I missed that the first time around.  Good call, @oldtimer

• Like 1

In our league......1st to 4th.....PATS (145), 49ers (97), Panthers (91), Steelers (80)...............Bills (60)

49ers, steelers are still available.....

Bills play MIA this weekend, then PHI, WAS, CLE, MIA...so also a decent schedule

I appreciate the input.

Now just need to decide whether or not to burn #1 ww for a defence (personal choice I guess).

Nope I wouldn’t. 

Now im also a def streamer, so take that into consideration about my answer. 

But I wouldn’t use it on a def. 

i would drop the Ravens def for either Steelers or Niners def. 

At this point in the season, yes, the Niners are worth a #1 waiver claim.  They are a set it and forget it option for the rest of the season, and they're already past their bye.  It's not likely that any other players are going to come available after the halfway mark in the season that will help your team as much as a top 3 defense (maybe the top defense the rest of the way, now that the Patriots play some actual teams on the horizon).  You want to use a #1 waiver claim on a missing piece that will put your team over the top--the 9ers are one such piece.

What are you all's thoughts on the Rams?  Worth a waiver claim? 

It's the best option in a sea of crap in my league, unfortunately I have the #1 waiver as well that's hard to burn, everyone carries 2 in my league so it's a wasteland at this point. 

Oh and I agree about the Niners, I would absolutely burn mine if they were available...

10 minutes ago, Texas10 said:

What are you all's thoughts on the Rams?  Worth a waiver claim? 

Wouldn't burn a waiver on the Rams; just wait and pick the best FA after waivers runs.

I too wouldn't burn a waiver claim on a D, but that's more of a general philosophy question. In terms of which ones to choose, I agree that Buffalo and SF are the most talented. Their matchups aren't great, especially in the playoffs, but they may be good enough that you start them even in seemingly bad matchups (like with SF @ LAR this past week)

As it happens, I have both of them. For now, I'm going to hold on to both (starting Buffalo this week) and see how things shake out. If you’re determined to pick one D to ride ROS, I think you can’t go wrong with either of them.

Between the two, I think I might lean slightly toward SF. Buffalo’s strength is its pass D, but SF’s is its rush. I feel like sacks are a more reliable source of points than a suffocating pass D. But like I said, either should be fine. 

I have a nice problem. Own both Bills and 49ers D, and can't decide which one to throw out there this weekend. Bills at home against the Tank-for-Tua Fins is almost to good to pass up.....but Niners have been ballin' and are at the Skins.

11 minutes ago, stonewall said:

I have a nice problem. Own both Bills and 49ers D, and can't decide which one to throw out there this weekend. Bills at home against the Tank-for-Tua Fins is almost to good to pass up.....but Niners have been ballin' and are at the Skins.

I too have both and am going Bills at home. Washington is terrible, but even they aren’t at Miami’s level. 

Only reason to worry about Buffalo is the Fitz Revenge Narrative. Then again, pretty much every week he’s playing against a former team, so maybe don’t worry about that too much :dunno:

14 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I’ve been eyeing up the Jets D since you suggested it a few days ago. Currently have the Eagles in a deep league. Jets sitting there as a free agent. I’d rather not lose one of my skill position players... would you go ahead and just risk the Jets this week? It’s not like the Pats have looked great on offense so far. And I can’t see that the Jets would be much worse than the Eagles D v Dallas...

6 hours ago, zftcg said:

I too have both and am going Bills at home. Washington is terrible, but even they aren’t at Miami’s level. 

Only reason to worry about Buffalo is the Fitz Revenge Narrative. Then again, pretty much every week he’s playing against a former team, so maybe don’t worry about that too much :dunno:

Who said Fitz is even playing....I seem to recall that it's Rosen starting, and in that case, fire up the Bills with utmost confidence !!

1 hour ago, My Ball Zach Ertz said:

Who said Fitz is even playing....I seem to recall that it's Rosen starting, and in that case, fire up the Bills with utmost confidence !!

Yes you’re right, it will be Rosen. But Fitz’s revenge may inspire them from the sidelines :lol:

All jokes aside, Fitz is marginally better, but I would start Miami’s opponent with confidence no matter who was at QB

7 hours ago, My Ball Zach Ertz said:

And now the Dolphins have reversed themselves yet again and will start Fitz.

Still think Buffalo is the No. 1 DST.

8 hours ago, show me the murray said:

I’ve been eyeing up the Jets D since you suggested it a few days ago. Currently have the Eagles in a deep league. Jets sitting there as a free agent. I’d rather not lose one of my skill position players... would you go ahead and just risk the Jets this week? It’s not like the Pats have looked great on offense so far. And I can’t see that the Jets would be much worse than the Eagles D v Dallas...

Yeah, given that you're already facing one of the top 2 offenses in football, you probably won't do much worse by going ahead and picking up the Jets--but you can't expect much from either one this week.

1 hour ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

I think the Eagles have some prime matchups down the stretch as well

They also have one of the worst secondaries in the league. Some of that is due to injuries, so maybe they’ll tighten up by the fantasy playoffs, but the way they’re playing now you simply can’t start them unless they’re facing Luke Falk again. 

The answer is the Steelers simply because of their schedule... 9ers might be the most talented on the list but face a tough barrage of offenses like @Bal @NO, Atl, and LAR for the fantasy playoffs, whereas the Steelers have Cle, @Ari, Buf, @NYJ during that period... if you can get past their bye this week you will be on cruise control the rest of the way.

I picked up the NINERS with my #1 ww pick......hoping it's the missing piece for my team....but STEELERS are still sitting there as a possible free agent pickup, but can't seem to justify dropping one of my bench players.....I have Sony Michel, Tony Pollard, Michael Gallup, Allen Robinson, Greg Olsen, Drew Brees

I have Olsen for my backup to Mark Andrews (week 8 bye) and Brees to compliment WILSON down the stretch.

Thoughts ?

34 minutes ago, JOHN 316 said:

I picked up the NINERS with my #1 ww pick......hoping it's the missing piece for my team....but STEELERS are still sitting there as a possible free agent pickup, but can't seem to justify dropping one of my bench players.....I have Sony Michel, Tony Pollard, Michael Gallup, Allen Robinson, Greg Olsen, Drew Brees

I have Olsen for my backup to Mark Andrews (week 8 bye) and Brees to compliment WILSON down the stretch.

Thoughts ?

Unless it's a really large or superflex league, you probably don't need to carry a 2nd QB behind Wilson, and unless you're really thin at RB, I can't see Pollard helping you that much, but yeah, carrying two Ds seems kinda yucky somehow.

My RB's are RB2s at best.....Aaron Jones, Matt Breida, Phillip Lindsay, Sony Michel....I've been holding Pollard hoping for a Zeke injury, but that's a lottery ticket more than anything  

Holding Brees is more of a block of my league opponents more than anything.....our league typically carries 2 QB's for each manager and since Wilson hasn't had his bye yet, Brees was the best available for that week.

49 minutes ago, JOHN 316 said:

My RB's are RB2s at best.....Aaron Jones...

Another of those 4 team leagues?  Aaron Jones is the RB4 in standard scoring and the RB6 in PPR scoring.

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Another of those 4 team leagues?  Aaron Jones is the RB4 in standard scoring and the RB6 in PPR scoring.

Surely no one would have to educate the great AxeElf on the ability of a monstrous 40 point week skewing overall results. Although I would side with you that he is a low end RB1/high rb2

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rallo said:

Surely no one would have to educate the great AxeElf on the ability of a monstrous 40 point week skewing overall results.

It doesn't SKEW the overall results; it's what MAKES the overall results the overall results.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

It doesn't SKEW the overall results; it's what MAKES the overall results the overall results.

Well, if Jamal Williams stays healthy, good luck with Jones being a  RB1 ROS. Come on, man....are you suggesting that? I'd be looking to sell that sum buck like a Buick that has started shifting hard. After the way Williams played last week, he is gonna be a constant part of that offense. Yes, Jones will still have some good games....but even low RB1 status seems very far fetched. Yes, schedule is pretty decent, except for SF in week 12....but FF playoff schedule looks rough, with Bears and Vikes. Raiders this week are not necessarily pushovers either.

(Edit: Warning....I have thus far been unsuccessful in prognosticating RB's named Williams.)

Back to ROS defenses. Don't have any shares of NE, but am rolling Bills and SF in all leagues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stonewall said:

good luck with Jones being a  RB1 ROS. Come on, man....are you suggesting that?

He's got a better chance of it than David Montgomery.

: mic drop :

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

He's got a better chance of it than David Montgomery.

: mic drop :

With all due respect, that hardly seems worthy of a mic drop after 6 weeks......and lest you forget, FF is not about "what have you done for me lately", but rather about "what will you do for me ROS"

Don't count your money just yet. 

5 hours ago, rallo said:

Surely no one would have to educate the great AxeElf on the ability of a monstrous 40 point week skewing overall results. Although I would side with you that he is a low end RB1/high rb2

If J Willams stays healthy he won’t be worthy of that high of value. 

14 minutes ago, weepaws said:

If J Willams stays healthy he won’t be worthy of that high of value. 

Careful Weeps.....nobody wants to hear that.

11 hours ago, stonewall said:

With all due respect, that hardly seems worthy of a mic drop after 6 weeks......and lest you forget, FF is not about "what have you done for me lately", but rather about "what will you do for me ROS"

Don't count your money just yet. 

To contradict Axe Elf "with all due respect" seems rather oxymoronic, lest you forget that your chances of doing so successfully are infinitesimally small.

And it's not after 6 weeks, it's after 5 weeks, as Chicago was on their bye last week--so Montgomery has 11 weeks to improve his fantasy points per week from 8.3 to 13.6 or better (the current mark for a top 12 standard-scoring RB)--but truth be told, I was already counting my money with 16 weeks to go.  The only part left is the waiting...