Big Guy

Timbersports lol

Yesterday flipping through the channels I came across STIHL Timbersports  🤣

Grown Men called "Athletes" making cuts on logs 🤨    So freaking stupid!!!             

Save this crap for your local Fall Festival of some chit!

this isn't the clip I saw......but just sharing for an example

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

They've had competitions like this on ESPN since I was a little kid.  What's the big deal?

How is cutting a log any more of a "Sport" than let's say mowing a lawn or buttering toast for that matter? 🤣

2 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

How is cutting a log any more of a "Sport" than let's say mowing a lawn or buttering toast for that matter? 🤣

I didn't say it was more of a sport than anything else, just that it's been a competition that's been televised for a long time.  They usually do more than just using a chainsaw as well.  When I've watched they have used a long, hand saw and axes.  My favorite is the one where they chop into a trunk and put planks into and continue this to the top of the trunk then chop off the top.

If you don't think it takes someone with some athletic skills to accomplish that then I don't know what your criteria is.  I know I couldn't handle it.  I'm way too out of shape.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I didn't say it was more of a sport than anything else, just that it's been a competition that's been televised for a long time.  They usually do more than just using a chainsaw as well.  When I've watched they have used a long, hand saw and axes.  My favorite is the one where they chop into a trunk and put planks into and continue this to the top of the trunk then chop off the top.

If you don't think it takes someone with some athletic skills to accomplish that then I don't know what your criteria is.  I know I couldn't handle it.  I'm way too out of shape.

My favorite is when they chop wood and take it home for the Family to keep warm throughout the Winter and nobody talks about it 🤣

Of course you have to be fit, skilled.....I chop wood myself, but c'mon man!

4 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

My favorite is when they chop wood and take it home for the Family to keep warm throughout the Winter and nobody talks about it 🤣

Of course you have to be fit, skilled.....I chop wood myself, but c'mon man!

Running is considered a sport and all they do is run.  Some people find it entertaining I guess.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Running is considered a sport and all they do is run.  Some people find it entertaining I guess.

Excellent point....I agree with you

It's all so dumb..........where do we draw the line? 

Maybe at getting out of bed, putting on your shoes, brushing your teeth?

5 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

It's all so dumb..........where do we draw the line? 

Maybe at getting out of bed, putting on your shoes, brushing your teeth?

Do a search for obscure sports.  You'll be amazed.

For Christ's sake, the have eSports for video games now.

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Kind of like golf and auto racing...

Just now, posty said:

Bowling as well.  There could be a pretty long list.  I actually love golfing and bowling too.

Bowling as well.  There could be a pretty long list.  I actually love golfing and bowling too.

Correct on bowling, though when I was growing up, I used to love to watch bowling on Saturday afternoons after I was done with league play...

1 minute ago, posty said:

Correct on bowling, though when I was growing up, I used to love to watch bowling on Saturday afternoons after I was done with league play...

I love to fish and watching fishing on TV a decent amount.  Some people think that's pretty crazy too.

All dumb "sports" lol

Football by far is the greatest sport, at least it used to be. Baseball's ok too, all others should be considered fetishes 

Better believe I watched some Timber Sports after my kid was born and I was up at all hours of the night!

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

My favorite is the one where they chop into a trunk and put planks into and continue this to the top of the trunk then chop off the top.

That sh1t is just plain crazy. No way in hell I would attempt it. 

1 hour ago, posty said:

You might want to do some actual research on auto racing before making a dumb statement like that. hth

1 minute ago, SUXBNME said:

You might want to do some actual research on auto racing before making a dumb statement like that. hth

Not necessary, but thanks...

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Bowling seems to be a dying sport. I don't really get the excitement for watching it since the pros bowl a near perfect game every single time

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Bowling seems to be a dying sport. I don't really get the excitement for watching it since the pros bowl a near perfect game every single time

I bowl in a fun league and it's enjoyable but the leagues are slowly dying around here.  I've watched it on TV a few times over the years and couldn't get into for similar reasons you said.

I bowl in a fun league and it's enjoyable but the leagues are slowly dying around here.  I've watched it on TV a few times over the years and couldn't get into for similar reasons you said.

Yeah actual bowling is fun. Watching it on TV is not. But then again I used to like watching poker on TV. 

Yeah actual bowling is fun. Watching it on TV is not. But then again I used to like watching poker on TV. 

I use to like watching poker on TV too.  I remember when it was incredibly popular back when I was in college.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I use to like watching poker on TV too.  I remember when it was incredibly popular back when I was in college.

Oh yeah. I used to play a ton in HS and a decent amount in college

Oh yeah. I used to play a ton in HS and a decent amount in college

Did you play online?

Did you play online?

I didn't play much online. I could never get a feel for it. No matter when I tried to bluff, it seemed someone had a good hand. Plus my buddy got screwed a few times. He flopped 4 aces and lost to a runner runner royal flush

14 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You have some really amazing timing then.  Since 1967, there has only been 26 nationally televised 300's, on the pro bowler's tour.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You have some really amazing timing then.  Since 1967, there has only been 26 nationally televised 300's, on the pro bowler's tour.

Seriously?  That's kind of incredible considering how many 300 games pros bowl in their lives.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Do a search for obscure sports.  You'll be amazed.

For Christ's sake, the have eSports for video games now.

Not only do they have esports for it, but a lot of the professional esports players make more than professional athletes. Apparently Ninja makes 500k a month from twitch. 

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

Not only do they have esports for it, but a lot of the professional esports players make more than professional athletes. Apparently Ninja makes 500k a month from twitch. 

That's a little different than athletes though since he doesn't have a contract from an owner.  He's in control of what he makes based on the content he provides and viewers he gets.  I'm sure he also makes a lot off of other endorsements.

I think he's a pretty big outlier for that sport though.  Very, very few kids are going to do what those kids are doing.  I'd have to think you have better odds making the NFL or MLB.

12 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I said near perfect, not percect. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Seriously?  That's kind of incredible considering how many 300 games pros bowl in their lives.

It's not that easy when on tv.

PBA Tour Scoring Records - scroll down about halfway and see the list.  Yeah, those guys bowl a lot of 300's, because they're that good... but to have actually seen them on tv, is extremely rare, as it happens once every other year.  The highest average on the PBA Tour this year is 227.67.  I've bowled for about 15 years, the highest my average was, which was last year, was 217.  I've been over 200 the last 8 years.  I've bowled on professional lanes 12 times (9 games each time), and over 108 games, my average is a 151.  Over the last 6 years, while I was a better bowler, my average in 54 games is a 173.  The shot these guys bowl on, is very hard.  I've bowled with guys who in their local leagues are 200 bowlers who've struggled to hit 130 on those lanes.

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I said near perfect, not percect. 

Oh, my bad.  :rolleyes:  The best bowler on the PGA Tour this year has a 227 average.  I'm sure you've seen a LOT of 279+ games on tv.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Oh, my bad.  :rolleyes:  The best bowler on the PGA Tour this year has a 227 average.  I'm sure you've seen a LOT of 279+ games on tv.

Interesting, I guess I didn't pay tat much attention. 

Here's an Idea.... "Bowling for Soup".........The Winner gets to sit down to a nice Lobster Bisque while watching some chit band. 

20 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That's a little different than athletes though since he doesn't have a contract from an owner.  He's in control of what he makes based on the content he provides and viewers he gets.  I'm sure he also makes a lot off of other endorsements.

I think he's a pretty big outlier for that sport though.  Very, very few kids are going to do what those kids are doing.  I'd have to think you have better odds making the NFL or MLB.

Most esports players are on a team. Cloud9, Astralis, Spitfire, etc... they are all on salaried contracts. Usually only their streams revenue goes to them, but most don’t even stream. Have you ever seen an esports competition? Nearly every major tech company is involved with some kind of sponsorship plus the massive crowds. 

You also don’t have to deal with commercials every 5 minutes. Players don’t have to worry about getting head damage or breaking any bones. An esports league will be more profitable than the NFL within the next 15-20 years. 

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Most esports players are on a team. Cloud9, Astralis, Spitfire, etc... they are all on salaried contracts. Usually only their streams revenue goes to them, but most don’t even stream. Have you ever seen an esports competition? Nearly every major tech company is involved with some kind of sponsorship plus the massive crowds. 

You also don’t have to deal with commercials every 5 minutes. Players don’t have to worry about getting head damage or breaking any bones. An esports league will be more profitable than the NFL within the next 15-20 years. 

Getting farther and farther from reality aren't we?

....pretty soon we'll have "sports" that watch the people that watch stuff like this. We'll judge how they reacted, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

Getting farther and farther from reality aren't we?

....pretty soon we'll have "sports" that watch the people that watch stuff like this. We'll judge how they reacted, etc. 

Hows it further from reality? They get paid a portion of the money they generate. I don’t think they are athletes, but I don’t need a technical definition to be entertained. Any competition between men is entertaining to me. At least with esports when I watch 95% is the thing I tuned in to watch. With the NFL it’s 80% commercials 10% gameplay 10% commentary. Yawn. Games are to long and not enough action, going to have to change if you want the next generation to be interested. I’d rather watch a Prime time madden tournament on twitch than a regular season NFL game. 

3 hours ago, posty said:

1 hour ago, SUXBNME said:

Nascar is the best sweat for DFS, hands down.

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

I mean I don’t think they are athletes, but I don’t need a technical definition to be entertained. Any competition between men is entertaining to me. At least with esports when I watch 95% is the thing I tuned in to watch. With the NFL it’s 80% commercials 10% gameplay 10% commentary. Yawn. Games are to long and not enough action, going to have to change if you want the next generation to be interested. I’d rather watch a Prime time madden tournament on twitch than a regular season NFL game. 

I get it, I'd probably watch it too