zftcg

Joey Slye owners: Are you holding through the bye?

I normally have no problem ditching my kickers on their bye weeks. But when he's the overall K1, I really try to hold on to him.

Here's my dilemma: The only person I could drop on my roster is Edmonds (I have DJ). Obviously, if DJ's injury turns out to be more serious, there's no way I can drop Edmonds, since I will likely have to start him. But assuming DJ does play, I would have to decide between dropping Slye (who would almost certainly get picked up) or dropping Edmonds (who might make it through waivers, but if he didn't and Johnson got hurt again, I would be really screwed).

One other possibility: I'm a heavy favorite this week. I could also try the maneuver where I go without a kicker Sunday afternoon, and then, if it looks like I'll need the points, pick up one of the guys in the SNF/MNF game (most likely Nugent). On the other hand, if my match-up is already decided, I could just keep Slye in there and take a donut.

What are the rest of you Slye owners doing with your K spot this week?

I'm holding him.  I dropped some dead weight to snag a replacement for this week. 

56 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I normally have no problem ditching my kickers on their bye weeks. But when he's the overall K1, I really try to hold on to him.

Here's my dilemma: The only person I could drop on my roster is Edmonds (I have DJ). Obviously, if DJ's injury turns out to be more serious, there's no way I can drop Edmonds, since I will likely have to start him. But assuming DJ does play, I would have to decide between dropping Slye (who would almost certainly get picked up) or dropping Edmonds (who might make it through waivers, but if he didn't and Johnson got hurt again, I would be really screwed).

One other possibility: I'm a heavy favorite this week. I could also try the maneuver where I go without a kicker Sunday afternoon, and then, if it looks like I'll need the points, pick up one of the guys in the SNF/MNF game (most likely Nugent). On the other hand, if my match-up is already decided, I could just keep Slye in there and take a donut.

What are the rest of you Slye owners doing with your K spot this week?

I have the same dilemma. I am probably going to drop Slye for Zane, as they're only 7 points apart in my league, and my guess is that a kicker that is on top now won't stay on top.

31 minutes ago, IMMensaMind said:

I have the same dilemma. I am probably going to drop Slye for Zane, as they're only 7 points apart in my league, and my guess is that a kicker that is on top now won't stay on top.

You may be correct, but I've found that the "stickiest" kicker stat is prior performance in that same season. That is to say, we look at all these other critiera -- strength of offense, historical accuracy, playing conditions, favored team, etc. -- but I've typically found that the most reliable approach is to take the guy who's doing well a few weeks into the season and hope the ride continues

Obviously, "sticky" is not the same as "100-percent reliable", and this is more of an anecdotal observation than anything I've looked at analytically, but it's about as much time as I want to spend analyzing kickers, so that's what I'm going with.

(Also worth pointing out that while Slye is still the overall K1 for now, on a points-per-game basis, Prater is slightly ahead after last week's performance. at least in my league.)

• Like 1

Absolutely pick up Prater if he's available--he's just as good as any other Kicker, and he's already had his bye.  If you swap out for Zane Gonzalez or the like, you're just going to end up having to switch again by Week 12, or whenever.  Securing Prater now means your K slot is decided for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Absolutely pick up Prater if he's available--he's just as good as any other Kicker, and he's already had his bye.  If you swap out for Zane Gonzalez or the like, you're just going to end up having to switch again by Week 12, or whenever.  Securing Prater now means your K slot is decided for the rest of the season.

Yeah, I got him in a different league, but he's taken in the league where I have Slye. Last week was a bit of an outlier for him (Lions kept faltering in red zone), but he's been very strong all season.

Just now, zftcg said:

Yeah, I got him in a different league, but he's taken in the league where I have Slye. Last week was a bit of an outlier for him (Lions kept faltering in red zone), but he's been very strong all season.

Last week WAS an outlier, and I'm not suggesting you can expect that kind of production all season.

But even if you give him his first 4 weeks ppg (9.0) in Weeks 5 and 6, he's still a top 10 kicker--with that 50-yard leg that gives him the potential for a few big games along the way.

He's a reasonable-enough choice to just leave in your K slot for the rest of the season.

Am holding him.....but, although happy with his overall production, am a bit concerned about his misses the last couple of weeks.

Both are available in my league. I've been debating on which of the 2 to pick up and perhaps drop M. Nugent.

I'm keeping him.  I grabbed NE KCR Nugent the other week, and I'm hedging my bets on keeping him ROS (two weeks., two misses)..

Dropped him because I got Prater.  Slye has missed a few kicks.  Prater is better and should be better going forward and is past his bye week.

And after all that, I realized my question was moot: With Andrews on bye next week, I'll need to pick up a fill-in TE, so unless someone currently on my roster suffers a season-ending injury this weekend, Edmonds will be gone regardless.

Can probably count on one hand the amount of kickers worth holding through a bye over the last 15+ yrs.  I think they were all named gostkowski.  Or whoever the pats kicker was.  Chances are if you really want him back you can bid a dollar or 2 and get him again.  Id rather hold a rb handcuff lottery ticket.