Sign in to follow this  
bandrus1

Columbus day

Has Columbus Day really been traditionally tied to Italian American heritage celebration?

I am going to admit it may be my complete ignorance as I grew up in a very rural small town or maybe just missed it.

17 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Has Columbus Day really been traditionally tied to Italian American heritage celebration?

I am going to admit it may be my complete ignorance as I grew up in a very rural small town or maybe just missed it.

Yes

It's also a really good sifi book. If you have audible R.C Bray does a wonderful job.

Skippy the magnificent beer can!

15 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yes

Ask him to prove he grew up in a small rural town. I am not buying it.  :nono:

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

All the Italian Americans I know don't call themselves Italian Americans.

They call themselves Americans.

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Columbus sailed to America under The Spanish Flag. He changed his name from Columbo to Columbus to distance himself from Italy.

9 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Columbus sailed to America under The Spanish Flag. He changed his name from Colombo to Columbus to distance himself from Italy.

Yes I know which was also kind of confusing to me

Is that why for years idiots have been throwing balloons filled with red dye at the statue of Columbus in front of union station in DC?

I love Columbo. I have every season on DVD.

'Any old port in the storm' is my favorite episode.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:35 AM, bandrus1 said:

Fair enough. I honestly never knew it until recently

I didn't know it until opening this thread a couple minutes ago. :thumbsup:

From an NPR interview:

SIMON: What did it mean to many Italian Americans to have Columbus Day established as a federal holiday back in the 1930s?

SCIORRA: One has to remember that when Italians arrive here in the late 1880s in mass - we're talking about 4 1/2 millions who come - Italian immigrants who come between 1880s and 1924 - they encounter America that is xenophobic, that is engaging in acts of violence against immigrants. One has to remember the lynching in New Orleans of 11 Italian Americans in 1891 so that Columbus becomes this figure that Italians latch on to as a way to get a foothold in this incredibly hostile environment that they find themselves in.

SIMON: So what has the reaction been among many Italian American groups and Italian American families to the emphasis in recent years on seeing the racism and brutality and violence in Columbus' personal history?

SCIORRA: There's an emotional bond to Columbus. I've read poetry which has - says, you know, when I look at the figure of Columbus on a statue, I don't see Columbus. I see my grandfather. I see the sort of worker's hands in his hands. I see the visage, his visage. And I see that of my grandfather. So there's a really emotional bond there.

I should say that, you know, this is not an issue of Italian Americans against Native Americans or Native Americans against Italian Americans. It's not a versus - it's not a war that's going upon these two groups. And I think that's always important to keep in mind.

There is no such thing as native Americans. Everyone migrated here.

On 10/20/2019 at 12:20 AM, sderk said:

There is no such thing as native Americans. Everyone migrated here.

I find that hard to believe. Why does every other continent have aboriginal native peoples, but not North and South America? 

42 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I find that hard to believe. Why does every other continent have aboriginal native peoples, but not North and South America? 

I don't know. But the American Indians migrated here are just that. Why does America need to rely upon other country's take on things?

"The prevailing theory proposes that people migrated from Eurasia across Beringia, a land bridge that connected Siberia to present-day Alaska during the Ice Age, and then spread southward throughout the Americas over the subsequent generations."

7 minutes ago, sderk said:

I don't know. But the American Indians migrated here are just that. Why does America need to rely upon other country's take on things?

"The prevailing theory proposes that people migrated from Eurasia across Beringia, a land bridge that connected Siberia to present-day Alaska during the Ice Age, and then spread southward throughout the Americas over the subsequent generations."

Yes, I knew that theory. But were there no humans here before that? I dunno. 

3 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yes, I knew that theory. But were there no humans here before that? I dunno. 

Yep. If we knew that, we could possibly call them natives. 

1 hour ago, sderk said:

Again why Columbus day is stupid

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

Again why Columbus day is stupid

Black History Month is stupid. Hispanic Heritage Month is stupid. I don't give a crap about any one single day that only a very small group of people actually celebrate as top of my list to hate. But Columbus day is more meaningful than both others I mentioned.

8 hours ago, sderk said:

Black History Month is stupid. Hispanic Heritage Month is stupid. I don't give a crap about any one single day that only a very small group of people actually celebrate as top of my list to hate. But Columbus day is more meaningful than both others I mentioned.

Don't forget, the f@ggots stole the month of June. :thumbsdown:

5 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Don't forget, the f@ggots stole the month of June. :thumbsdown:

And Halloween.

9 hours ago, sderk said:

Columbus when he landed in America  

18 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Slave traders when they landed in Africa 

Geez dude, that’s even to much for me 

4 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

His IQ is 34. Digby34. Cut him some slack. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Saw it in fb and figured I’d share. Thought it would be right up you heartless bastards alley 

edit: sorry my bad. Just went and looked. It wasn’t slave traders. It was Columbus when he showed up in America. 

20 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Saw it in fb and figured I’d share. Thought it would be right up you heartless bastards alley 

edit: sorry my bad. Just went and looked. It wasn’t slave traders. It was Columbus when he showed up in America. 

We’re not heartless we just like facts 

Racist: 

Hows it going monkeys? (What you posted)

Not racist:

The average IQ of a sub Saharan adult male is 70 

Get it?

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

We’re not heartless we just like facts 

Racist: 

Hows it going monkeys? (What you posted)

Not racist:

The average IQ of a sub Saharan adult male is 70 

Get it?

See above post 

1 minute ago, riversco said:

If latinos started voting republican, tacos would be a symbol of racist oppression.

I’d fight liberals over tacos and tequila 

7 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

34?  Don't you mean 13? As in Djgb13?

13 is his age. 

22 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

34?  Don't you mean 13? As in Djgb13?

13 was my sports number growing up. Plus my fav number.