Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Syringes

Debating a flat-earth moron

A year or so ago, someone told me that a guy I knew believed this whole flat-earth baloney.

My first thought was how fun it would be for the Geek Club to saddle up once again and go jihad some flat-earth forum, which I still think would be hilarious.

But also started to think about how to argue and insult a flat earther should I run across one, which I did yesterday on social media. 

The first thing they do is play the Jesus card and that their Christian beliefs are under siege. Then out come the links to baloney science videos and all that.

These people are SERIOUS, and arguing with them is like arguing McNair vs. Pennington or like those ancient political debates that raged here and wore out everyone.

Crazy shite!

• Haha 1

You can’t debate someone who believes things like this. It’s like debating a small child. Their brains never developed the ability to reason.

11 minutes ago, Intense Observer said:

I don't know any flat earthers and just assumed it was all an internet troll.

Are you sure the guy isn't just yanking your chain?

That’s how I feel about it too. They are pretty dedicated though. 

It just bothers me that they'd be so ignorant. They've got an answer for everything and think this whole spherical Earth thing has been a well-orchestrated conspiracy for more than 2,000 years. What's disturbing is how quickly people are gravitating to it. I wonder if the people at the top this thing are profiteering from it somehow. 

Somebody yesterday on Facebook posted a screen shot from this website:

https://ourwayisthehighway.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/12-actual-landmarks-that-can-only-be-seen-on-a-flat-earth/

They said being able to see the Statue of Liberty from 60 miles away proved that the Earth was flat. We live near Dallas, and the town of Canton on Interstate 20 is about 60 miles away. There is a water park there.

So I laid down this challenge to her: Go to Canton. Take the stairs up to the top of the tallest water slide. Look west. Dallas is 60 miles away, and its tallest building is more than 900 feet tall, while the Statue of Liberty is only 300 feet tall. If you believe the Statue of Liberty can be seen from 60 miles away, surely from atop a high place being able to see a 900-foot-tall building from the same distance. 

She responded by saying she "would need special equipment." 

I asked her what that equipment was, and she didn't respond. 

Jeebus.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rusty Syringes said:

It just bothers me that they'd be so ignorant. They've got an answer for everything and think this whole spherical Earth thing has been a well-orchestrated conspiracy for more than 2,000 years. What's disturbing is how quickly people are gravitating to it. I wonder if the people at the top this thing are profiteering from it somehow. 

Somebody yesterday on Facebook posted a screen shot from this website:

https://ourwayisthehighway.wordpress.com/2017/04/01/12-actual-landmarks-that-can-only-be-seen-on-a-flat-earth/

They said being able to see the Statue of Liberty from 60 miles away proved that the Earth was flat. We live near Dallas, and the town of Canton on Interstate 20 is about 60 miles away. There is a water park there.

So I laid down this challenge to her: Go to Canton. Take the stairs up to the top of the tallest water slide. Look west. Dallas is 60 miles away, and its tallest building is more than 900 feet tall, while the Statue of Liberty is only 300 feet tall. If you believe the Statue of Liberty can be seen from 60 miles away, surely from atop a high place being able to see a 900-foot-tall building from the same distance. 

She responded by saying she "would need special equipment." 

I asked her what that equipment was, and she didn't respond. 

Jeebus.

oh Rusty, you've fallen for one of the classic spherical earth blunders.    

I just don't get the whole debate myself.

It's clearly McNair

4 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Flat earthers vs Antivaxxers as the best trolls of the science crowd. Gonna go with Flat earthers.  

Is Scientology too 1990's to include in your list? 

18 hours ago, Rusty Syringes said:

The first thing they do is play the Jesus card and that their Christian beliefs are under siege. 

A friend from my last workplace entertained the arguments, and it took me a couple minutes while listening to him to confirm he was actually serious. Christian thinking had nothing to do with it. I also watched about 45 minutes of a flat earther conference once, and again, no discernable religious faith based stuff. There was a spiritualist. My impression is those people tend to be a hodgepodge worldview wise and are attracted overall to currents out of the mainstream.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, naomi said:

A friend from my last workplace entertained the arguments, and it took me a couple minutes while listening to him to confirm he was actually serious. Christian thinking had nothing to do with it. I also watched about 45 minutes of a flat earther conference once, and again, no discernable religious faith based stuff. There was a spiritualist. My impression is those people tend to be a hodgepodge worldview wise and are attracted overall to currents out of the mainstream.

The ones I'm trolling right now present themselves as persecuted Christians as spit out Bible versus they swear are proof of a flat Earth.  I'd buy into Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster before I'd ever entertain the idea of a flat Earth. 

I noted all the countries on this round-as-fock planet that have put satellites in orbit, and that includes countries such as Iran and North Korea. I said, "Why would a bunch of countries that hate each other conspire to keep a lid on this whole flat-earth stuff." And their response was that they all just happened to agree on some Antarctica treaty. WAS THAT JUST A COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

The ones I'm trolling right now present themselves as persecuted Christians as spit out Bible versus they swear are proof of a flat Earth.  I'd buy into Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster before I'd ever entertain the idea of a flat Earth. 

I noted all the countries on this round-as-fock planet that have put satellites in orbit, and that includes countries such as Iran and North Korea. I said, "Why would a bunch of countries that hate each other conspire to keep a lid on this whole flat-earth stuff." And their response was that they all just happened to agree on some Antarctica treaty. WAS THAT JUST A COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

So you are addressing a bunch of people who deny basic scientific facts and are asking a bunch of MMGW deniers for advice...good strategy.   

On 10/20/2019 at 5:41 AM, BiPolarBear said:

Tell me why to debate a moron again.   :dunno:

Yeah, fifteen years ago, that would drive me crazy and I'd rail at them forever. 

Now, I walk away. Life's too short to talk to loons like that. 

Maybe they just mean it's lost all its carbonation.  :dunno:

That'll happen if you just leave Earth out on the counter overnight. 

If the Earth is flat, why does every other celestial appear round?

Does it just so happen that the flat side of every object is always facing Earth? If so, when Earth is rotating so that we are facing different points in the universe, is Earth the only object to rotate? 

Has a blanket been placed over the earth to show objects as round? Fooling people with telescopes? 

Is Earth the only flat planet in existence? 

I haven't bothered to read/hear what these idiots proclaim, but I am curious how they explain how you can keep traveling in one direction and eventually get back to where you started (ie flying around the world).  Anyone have the retarded cliffs notes explanation? 

On 10/19/2019 at 4:41 PM, BiPolarBear said:

Tell me why to debate a moron again.   :dunno:

I thought this was the entire point of the geek club?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DonS said:

I haven't bothered to read/hear what these idiots proclaim, but I am curious how they explain how you can keep traveling in one direction and eventually get back to where you started (ie flying around the world).  Anyone have the retarded cliffs notes explanation? 

Circumnavigation on a Flat Earth is achieved because on a compass East and West are always at right angles to North. Traveling Eastwards continuously takes you in a circle around the North Pole. East and West are curved.

4 hours ago, DonS said:

They have a crazy response to everything. I've only engaged with them because of the alarming rise in people who believe this baloney. I've seen estimates that 1 to 2 percent of people believe the Earth is flat. A lot of it has been attributed to there being so many baloney-science videos on YouTube. The video surge has been so alarming that scientists have responded by putting up videos explaining why the Earth is round. You can't argue with stupid or crazy, because they just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. Pin one of these idiots into a corner, and they just start playing that Jesus card and spitting out Bible verses they interpret to support their beliefs. One of them told me yesterday that I needed to repent for challenging their beliefs, even though you won't find any preachers in mainstream Christianity talking about how the Bible says the Earth is flat. 

On 10/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, MTSkiBum said:

I thought this was the entire point of the geek club?

Well, I certainly see your point, and engage in a few conversations that are hopeless. 

In general, I like to discuss things with people who try to be reasonable. 

I simply love flat-earthers and Seattle social justice mathematics. It's so easy to find good paying jobs these days. It just makes me feel all warm inside.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, Mike Honcho said:

So you are addressing a bunch of people who deny basic scientific facts and are asking a bunch of MMGW deniers for advice...good strategy.   

Well don’t listen to a guy who believes man can control the earth’s climate. And to prove it he wants to spend over a Trillion Dollar a year for 80 years to lower the global temperature less than 1 degree. (If he is correct)

I'm already buying warmer clothing for the global cooling phase in natural history.