Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Hunting

Any other hunters here? We are about a month away from bang bang season and I'm really looking forward to unpluging for a week.

Primitive arms mostly, but dont hunt like I used to. I just dont have time to scout like I used to.  Thats as enjoyable as hunting.  I do go from time to time as a guest to hunt clubs and run dogs but I dont enjoy that as much as still hunting.  

19 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Primitive arms mostly, but dont hunt like I used to. I just dont have time to scout like I used to.  Thats as enjoyable as hunting.  I do go from time to time as a guest to hunt clubs and run dogs but I dont enjoy that as much as still hunting.  

My friends and I hunt in the UP which is 6-7 hours from my house. We use an MGPT and wood burning stove. Set up 2-3 days before opening day and do a little scouting. 

Took my boys out yesterday to chase grouse by Itasca.  With MEA weekend it was a shitshow. Too many hunters too few birds.

9 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Hunting with my bow for a PA buck as I type. 

When I lived in Frederick, MD, I had neighbors that would do, bow, cross-bow, black powder and rifle, seasons for deer. I just did rifle season a few times. I saw 40 hunters and zero deer.    😐

Hunting season here. Already went hunting a few times. Doubt I’ll do deer hunting this year. Might wait til next year. Probably just get some deer meat from the in-laws. Really wish I could find some for sale around here 

When I do get drawn for elk, my "scouting" consists of driving around the forest on my grizzly pounding beers. It's focking awsome:banana:

Buddy texted me. He took down a 12 point this morning. Gonna give me some of the meat when I head back that way to see my parents this week. Can’t focking wait. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

My friends and I hunt in the UP which is 6-7 hours from my house. We use an MGPT and wood burning stove. Set up 2-3 days before opening day and do a little scouting. 

Nice👍👍

I miss it.  We dont have any land in the family to hunt on anymore.

13 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I miss it.  We dont have any land in the family to hunt on anymore.

We hunt public land. Sure it's not as good as private, but it's more about the time spent with friends and connecting back with nature.

1 hour ago, shorepatrol said:

Noticing a trend in the hunting threads.

What's the trend?

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

What's the trend?

Not a bored lib to be found. They must be busy folding laundry and crying into gluten free maxi pads during hunting season 

7 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Not a bored lib to be found. They must be busy folding laundry and crying into gluten free maxi pads during hunting season 

They’d get PTSD from shooting a gun 

On 10/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, Djgb13 said:

Buddy texted me. He took down a 12 point this morning. Gonna give me some of the meat when I head back that way to see my parents this week. Can’t focking wait. 

🤔

• Thanks 1

I haven't hunted in years but I think about doing it again.  I could shoot deer from out my window if I wanted to.  About the only animals I shoot lately are the varmints around my property.  I prefer fishing over hunting.

I have not hunted in the last few years. Hunting in Texas sucks compared to Wyoming or Montana. There is no public land down here, I had a few spots in both states where I could hunt thousands of acres without ever seeing another soul.

Since my parents moved from Wyoming to Denver I do not even hunt when visiting them over Christmas. Hunting around the Denver area also kind of sucks compared to what I am historically used to.

I will probably hunt again, but I miss upland bird and waterfowl hunting much more than big game. It is alot more fun to go hunting pheasants with a group of people and a dog than to hunt deer or elk.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have not hunted in the last few years. Hunting in Texas sucks compared to Wyoming or Montana. There is no public land down here, I had a few spots in both states where I could hunt thousands of acres without ever seeing another soul.

Since my parents moved from Wyoming to Denver from Wyoming I do not even hunt when visiting them over Christmas. Hunting around the Denver area also kind of sucks compared to what I am historically used to.

I will probably hunt again, but I miss upland bird and waterfowl hunting much more than big game. It is alot more fun to go hunting pheasants with a group of people and a dog than to hunt deer or elk.

Bird hunting is always fun. Only been pheasant hunting a couple of times but it was a blast (pun intended). But you are right about the no public land in Texas. Holy hell. There would be miles of nothing but woods and the entire area is fenced off. If you wanted to hunt you’d have to pay over $1K just to hunt. Fock that noise 

4 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Please do not project your deficiencies onto me. 

So no to the pictures? Ok then that’s all I needed to know 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

So no to the pictures? Ok then that’s all I needed to know 

HT got you all worked into a lather about proving things? 

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

HT got you all worked into a lather about proving things? 

No I just think it’s stupid how obnoxious some of you guys are. You can’t just have a conversation. You have to troll, act like d1ckhead, or just flat out go on a rant. Just chill the fock out and have a conversation with someone. This is place is getting absolutely horrible with being able to just start a thread and have a convo with people 

8 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

No I just think it’s stupid how obnoxious some of you guys are. You can’t just have a conversation. You have to troll, act like d1ckhead, or just flat out go on a rant. Just chill the fock out and have a conversation with someone. This is place is getting absolutely horrible with being able to just start a thread and have a convo with people 

I posted a thinking emoji. That was it. Maybe you earned that rep? 

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

I posted a thinking emoji. That was it. Maybe you earned that rep? 

Nope. Cause I’ve been backing up what I say. Only time I didn’t tell y’all the truth was in the military. Too many blue falcons reporting people for what they say on the internet back then. 

I didn't get a deer this year. The week I was hunting was sh1tty hunting weather.

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I didn't get a deer this year. The week I was hunting was sh1tty hunting weather.

What conditions are ideal for you?

When I use to deer hunt I always wanted snow on the ground. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What conditions are ideal for you?

When I use to deer hunt I always wanted snow on the ground. 

Snow on the ground. No wind. Cold but not freezing.

I had rain, crazy wind, and warm weather. The week before was nice so the deer had plenty to eat and didn't move while I was out..

My friend recently asked me to go hunting as his in-laws own prime land with deer by the hundreds. Says he sits in the stand for about 15 minutes, takes his pick, and goes home with huge bucks.  Ain't really "hunting", but whatever.  And if deer tasted like cow, I'd go. The problem is deer tastes like deer.  There's also my hangup about tracking a wounded/moaning/dying deer for hours if you don't drop it.  And then hauling the carcass back and cleaning it. No thanks.

Interestingly, this weekend he asked if I wanted to slaughter wild boar with him, as deer season just ended. His in-law apparently hates them tearing up the land and told him to shoot as many as he could... and leave them dead where they fall.  I passed - too gruesome.  

Now DOVE hunting, I'm in.  Fun to shoot, easy to clean, and tasty. 

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Snow on the ground. No wind. Cold but not freezing.

I had rain, crazy wind, and warm weather. The week before was nice so the deer had plenty to eat and didn't move while I was out..

Those are my ideal conditions too. So much easier to hear and see them. 

2 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

My friend recently asked me to go hunting as his in-laws own prime land with deer by the hundreds. Says he sits in the stand for about 15 minutes, takes his pick, and goes home with huge bucks.  Ain't really "hunting", but whatever.  And if deer tasted like cow, I'd go. The problem is deer tastes like deer.  There's also my hangup about tracking a wounded/moaning/dying deer for hours if you don't drop it.  And then hauling the carcass back and cleaning it. No thanks.

Interestingly, this weekend he asked if I wanted to slaughter wild boar with him, as deer season just ended. His in-law apparently hates them tearing up the land and told him to shoot as many as he could... and leave them dead where they fall.  I passed - too gruesome.  

To be fair most "hunting" isn't hunting. It's ambushing. Venison does have a different taste. I have a good processer who will mix it with pork and other stuff. Taste real good.

As for tracking it dies in a few minutes. Hunting is good for the environment and deer mangement.

Wild boar are a curse to the land and are straight-up nasty. They push out other animals and destroy the environment.

:shocking: Doves are a symbol of peace. How could you. You monster.

10 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

That’s always been part of the experience for me. It’s just part of hunting. Tracking and hauling makes the experience all worthwhile.

Never been dove hunting. I’ve gone pheasant and pigeon hunting before. Done some turkey hunting too.  

Deer sticks, summer sausage and jerky are great. It’s hard to beat some marinated back straps from deer.

I’ve always had a love for wild game. Some of the small town bars in the area will host wild game feeds every year and they’re a good time. 

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

Do you have a local Hunters for the Hungry type organization?  I only keep a small portion of my yearly venison and give the rest to them.  You still have to dress them, but its worth it.