Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

2019 rookie RB

Now that we have gotten a look at most of the rookie RB. Do any of them having top 15 potential this season, next season, and beyond? and how do you have them ranked?

Jacobs, Montgomery, Singletary, Sanders, others

Jacobs has more than top 15 "potential"; he's currently RB14 in standard scoring (RB17 in PPR) despite having played only 5 games so far.

The others, meh, not this season, although if Gore or Howard were to go down, Singletary or Sanders could have some individual games that would be top 15 caliber.  Singletary probly has the best chance of being a featured, and possibly top 15, RB next season if Gore finally goes away.

Montgomery is probably just going to keep on Montgomerying.

2 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

Now that we have gotten a look at most of the rookie RB. Do any of them having top 15 potential this season, next season, and beyond? and how do you have them ranked?

Jacobs, Montgomery, Singletary, Sanders, others

Singletary needs to stay healthy enough to play. 

Sanders just needs more opportunities. 

But I think both could be top 15 if those two things happen. 

Jacobs looks like a top 12 rb. 

Montgomery is on the fence right now as I see it. 

Long term I like Singletary. He looks to have the talent, the city he plays in pretty much has to be a running team because of the weather in winter, and Gore is the guy he is currently splitting carries with. The arrow is pointing up for his future. Sanders and Montgomery are up in the air right now and I think Jacobs has already established that hes going to be around for a little while

Jacobs is on pace for 1,376 yards and 13 TDs rushing. His receiving stats are a bit to be desired though, on pace for 19 catches and 246 yards.

So he's a bit down in PPR but still very solid rookie numbers.

Good chance he gets more touches going forward since he's the main player in the Raiders O.

In a PPR been offered Carson & R Jones for Jacobs & Breida. They are my Flex 1 & Flex 2 players, though sometimes I would bench Breida for S Shepard/Ty Johnson

I view as Carson slightly better than Jacobs in PPR

Breida better than R Jones 

In any event, I think I like Jacobs matchups better down the stretch to make the PPR upgrade to Carson not worth it. 

I like Jacobs as the star from this group.  He's doing well despite the team not having a threat at WR to take much heat off of him. 

Singletary has looked good when healthy, but I wasn't sold on him being a full time RB when he was drafted.  Also, the HC and GM are both rbbc people.  Look at their histories, time share at RB in most instances.  So, even if his talent is there, he will be over-drafted next season as people will believe (falsely) he is going to get a ton of carries.  I can see the hype train from 9 months out. 

Sanders - Wasn't sold on him being a full time RB in the least.  He wasn't even projected to be a full time NFL starter, but the lack of a true RB in Philly bolstered his perceived value to many.  I think in PPR, he could be used as a Flex next season, but don't see them using him as a feature back. 

Montgomery - I think he has potential, but Trubisky is killing him.  I'd put him second behind Jacobs on my list and think he could be a feature back next season, but the Bears play in a very tough division with great defenses.  The Bears will have to sit Trubisky and possibly bring in a new HC before I'd draft him though.  I just don't trust that even if they made him a true workhorse he would be top 8-10 with that offensive system.  Trubisky has to go. 

So, only Jacobs would I draft as a RB1 next season, Sanders not at all (unless he falls to well below what his ADP will be), Singletary I will avoid due to reasons mentioned above and Montgomery I would draft, but nowhere near where his ADP will be after everyone jumps on his hype train this offseason. 

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Montgomery I would draft, but nowhere near where his ADP will be after everyone jumps on his hype train this offseason. 

After a year of barely flexworthy games, his 2020 hype train can't possibly be as overboard as his 2019 hype train was.  People were drafting him with glee in the third round, gloating smugly at their "steal" of the hot rookie prospect, sure to return RB1 value.

So between the Montgomery truthers already being burned by their high pick this year, and his general failure to show the kind of talent or potential it would take to convert new investors, I would expect that his ADP might actually be a little depressed next season (unless of course the Bears undergo the kind of encompassing system changes you described that might give people reason to hope again).

But of course, however dumb the average drafter is, by definition, half of them are even dumber than THAT--so who knows...

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

After a year of barely flexworthy games, his 2020 hype train can't possibly be as overboard as his 2019 hype train was.  People were drafting him with glee in the third round, gloating smugly at their "steal" of the hot rookie prospect, sure to return RB1 value.

So between the Montgomery truthers already being burned by their high pick this year, and his general failure to show the kind of talent or potential it would take to convert new investors, I would expect that his ADP might actually be a little depressed next season (unless of course the Bears undergo the kind of encompassing system changes you described that might give people reason to hope again).

But of course, however dumb the average drafter is, by definition, half of them are even dumber than THAT--so who knows...

Exactly.  This board in particular gets so carried away with the hype train bs every offseason.  It was pretty bad this year with Montgomery, Kerryon, D. Williams, Mayfield, OJ Howard, Winston, Mahomes and about ten others.  This is the time of year I like to look back at those preseason threads and laugh.  Even though you and I haven't seen eye-to-eye on a lot, I will say we were two of the VERY few who had accurate preseason predictions and warned people against buying into the hype of those players mentioned above.