Sign in to follow this  
easilyscan

The A.J. Green Soap Opera

*I've had him stashed since someone dropped him after week 1*

The head coach stated previous to weeks 6 & 7 that he couldn't rule him out. He repeated the same thing for week 8 today.

Because of that, I'm going to assume he's more than healthy enough to play.

More assuming/speculating. I think we can all agree that A.J. wants out of Cincinnati. At 0-7 the Bengals have the worst record in football, & whether they want to admit it or not, have to think about rebuilding sooner than later. 

With all that in mind, wouldn't it be beneficial to both sides to get him out there & show that he's still a legit WR  ?

Beneficial for the Bengals in that they'd get more in return if they moved him, & beneficial to a A.J. in terms of more money by showing the rest of the league that he still 'has it'

What am I missing here ?

It would be beneficial to his fantasy owners if he could get in the Bengals' lineup.  Dalton is slinging the ball all over the place (he's on pace for almost 4,400 yards, which would be a career high), and Green would be a 20-pt-per-week performer in that offense, as Dalton's perennial favorite target.

I thought he would be playing by Week 7, myself, but now it looks like he'll be out until Week 10.

12 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

*I've had him stashed since someone dropped him after week 1*

The head coach stated previous to weeks 6 & 7 that he couldn't rule him out. He repeated the same thing for week 8 today.

Because of that, I'm going to assume he's more than healthy enough to play.

More assuming/speculating. I think we can all agree that A.J. wants out of Cincinnati. At 0-7 the Bengals have the worst record in football, & whether they want to admit it or not, have to think about rebuilding sooner than later. 

With all that in mind, wouldn't it be beneficial to both sides to get him out there & show that he's still a legit WR  ?

Beneficial for the Bengals in that they'd get more in return if they moved him, & beneficial to a A.J. in terms of more money by showing the rest of the league that he still 'has it'

What am I missing here ?

It will be interesting to see how the Bengals handle this.  He's not been healthy the past two seasons, so he has quite a bit to prove.  Is a team willing to overpay for production that hasn't been there in quite some time?  Someone posted he has averaged 85 yards per game, but that was only half the season and a full year ago.  The guy isn't getting any younger.  I drafted him as well, thinking he would be back by now.  I'm still holding out hope he ends up with the 49'ers for a pick, however, nobody is giving up a 1st rounder for an aging WR with a lot to prove.  At least I hope not.  I think this is 100% about his contract at this point. 

I'm still holding out hope he ends up with the 49'ers for a pick

I never thought of that scenario, I like it !!

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm still holding out hope he ends up with the 49'ers for a pick

8 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

I never thought of that scenario, I like it !!

San Francisco, where good WRs go to die...

Green isn’t the wr1 he once was, and I think he knows it. 

Im sure  he feels it within his body, he won’t produce like it once did. 

Not sure if this factors in but the Bengals in contention with fins for #1 don't really have any reason to put their best lineup out there 

1 hour ago, easilyscan said:

What am I missing here ?

what you're saying only makes sense if he truly still "has it" right now.  if he's not going to look good nor produce, it benefits noone to put him out there

14 hours ago, AxeElf said:

San Francisco, where good WRs go to die...

I'm not certain how you came to this conclusion.  Deebo is a rookie, Pettis is vastly overrated....  What WR are you referring to?  They haven't had a WR with serious talent there in quite some time.  I don't think anyone would consider AJ Green a "good" WR at this point of his career either.  He's above average, hopefully, but he hasn't played in a year and has been injury plagued for some time.  I certainly wouldn't say he's "good" anymore. 

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I'm not certain how you came to this conclusion.

Just going back a decade or so...

Isaac Bruce 2008-2009

Braylon Edwards 2011

Randy Moss 2012

Anquan Boldin 2013-2015

Brandon Lloyd 2014 (Ok, he started in SF in 2003-2005, but played for 5 other teams in the 8 years in between.)

Torrey Smith 2015-2016

Jeremy Kerley 2016

Pierre Garcon 2017-2018

Boldin, Smith and Kerley did go on to play another year or two for other teams, but they were basically dead when they left San Francisco.

AJ Green would be the latest in a long line of good WRs who went to SF to die...

55 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Just going back a decade or so...

Isaac Bruce 2008-2009

Braylon Edwards 2011

Randy Moss 2012

Anquan Boldin 2013-2015

Brandon Lloyd 2014 (Ok, he started in SF in 2003-2005, but played for 5 other teams in the 8 years in between.)

Torrey Smith 2015-2016

Jeremy Kerley 2016

Pierre Garcon 2017-2018

Boldin, Smith and Kerley did go on to play another year or two for other teams, but they were basically dead when they left San Francisco.

AJ Green would be the latest in a long line of good WRs who went to SF to die...

Could you have worse examples?  Isaac Bruce was OLD and had MAJOR health issues when he went.  I live in St. Louis and followed Bruce pretty closely.  Edwards was absolutely DONE in 2011.  Moss was 100% done.  Boldin had who throwing him the ball?  Who was the offensive coordinator?  Thought so.  Lloyd was DONE in 2014.  Smith never had a QB and he isn't exactly a stud, nor were any of these guys while they were in a 49'ers uniform outside of Boldin and he wasn't a stud any more, average at best.  Kerley and Garcon?  Really?  You are comparing all these washed up, injured players to Green?  These guys were dead on arrival Axe.  You know this, so why you posted it makes zero sense.  Garcon was injured and his injuries killed his career, not the 49'ers.  You are also not only using old, washed up players who were WELL past their prime, but you are not even looking at the organization today.  Did the 49'ers have Shanny then?  No.  Garcon could have worked, but again, his injuries ruined his career, NOT the 49'ers. 

How about posting a guy who was an All-Pro who went to the 49'ers while still in his prime, or close to his historical averages at least, then posting?  In other words, I have some apples, would you like to compare them to your oranges?

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Isaac Bruce was OLD and had MAJOR health issues when he went.  I live in St. Louis and followed Bruce pretty closely.  Edwards was absolutely DONE in 2011.  Moss was 100% done.  Boldin had who throwing him the ball?  Who was the offensive coordinator?  Thought so.  Lloyd was DONE in 2014.  Smith never had a QB and he isn't exactly a stud, nor were any of these guys while they were in a 49'ers uniform outside of Boldin and he wasn't a stud any more, average at best.  Kerley and Garcon?  Really?  You are comparing all these washed up, injured players to Green?  These guys were dead on arrival Axe.  You know this, so why you posted it makes zero sense.  Garcon was injured and his injuries killed his career, not the 49'ers.  You are also not only using old, washed up players who were WELL past their prime, but you are not even looking at the organization today.  Did the 49'ers have Shanny then?  No.  Garcon could have worked, but again, his injuries ruined his career, NOT the 49'ers.

Thank you.  You appear to have fully comprehended my point, and you have explained it even more thoroughly than I did.  Well done.

San Francisco, where good WRs go to die.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Thank you.  You appear to have fully comprehended my point, and you have explained it even more thoroughly than I did.  Well done.

San Francisco, where good WRs go to die.

Ahhh, so now you are stating they were dead upon arrival?  If so, we agree.  That would make the third time we've agreed on something.  It's a start of a great Axe/Old partnership. 

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Ahhh, so now you are stating they were dead upon arrival?  If so, we agree.  That would make the third time we've agreed on something.  It's a start of a great Axe/Old partnership. 

Axe body spray and old spice deodorant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

It's a start of a great Axe/Old partnership. 

I doubt it.

...and Old-Axe flows better. Almost has a historical and nostalgic Native American component.

Just now, tanatastic said:

Ha!

One under each pit....

8 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Who do you think "the Axe Effect" was named after?

how cute. :wub:

I’m done with AJ Green and have been for a while. He’s assumed to be a nice guy so maybe he doesn’t get the venom that some ‘jerk/diva/enigma WRs’ often get. Green got paid along with Dez, Julio, and Demaryius. And he hasn’t been healthy through a whole season since...usually folks hate this and call it out ASAP.

Fantasy-wise, he’s done the ‘week to week for multiple weeks’ thing at least 3 times that I can remember counting this year. The first two times, it did not end well. This time, once it was clear that we wasn’t coming back by October, I lost interest and hope. And now Halloween is upon and Green folks are still left holding Butkus..in a bad way. And really, when is he going into anyone’s lineup now that he’s been out for this long if he remains a Bengal? First game back? 2nd? With some kind of matchup?

On 10/23/2019 at 4:47 PM, jimaveli said:

I’m done with AJ Green and have been for a while. He’s assumed to be a nice guy so maybe he doesn’t get the venom that some ‘jerk/diva/enigma WRs’ often get. Green got paid along with Dez, Julio, and Demaryius. And he hasn’t been healthy through a whole season since...usually folks hate this and call it out ASAP.

Fantasy-wise, he’s done the ‘week to week for multiple weeks’ thing at least 3 times that I can remember counting this year. The first two times, it did not end well. This time, once it was clear that we wasn’t coming back by October, I lost interest and hope. And now Halloween is upon and Green folks are still left holding Butkus..in a bad way. And really, when is he going into anyone’s lineup now that he’s been out for this long if he remains a Bengal? First game back? 2nd? With some kind of matchup?

If he comes back week 10 I'll be happy. I may wait a week, I may not. Cin has Mia week 16, which sounds good to me.

If he comes back week 10 I'll be happy. I may wait a week, I may not. Cin has Mia week 16, which sounds good to me.

Agreed. 

It's a weird situation, if they want to trade him, he almost has to play at least a week or two, right?  Trade deadline is in 4 days so that's not happening, particularly with their bye week next week.  I drafted him and have been holding on hoping for something like WR2 numbers at my WR3 spot, but man it's getting hard, particularly in one league with a skinny bench.  11 weeks is pretty fockin long to wait.  

12 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

FORK!

You're probably right. I have 3 players on their bye week 10,  (Bengals week 9) so I'll keep my fingers crossed &  hope he's active.

22 hours ago, easilyscan said:

You're probably right. I have 3 players on their bye week 10,  (Bengals week 9) so I'll keep my fingers crossed &  hope he's active.

Green expects to be back week 10 (per Rotoworld).  

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Huh?

Unless the box score is wrong....showing 1 reception for 4 yards.

5 minutes ago, DEEZNUTS said:

Unless the box score is wrong....showing 1 reception for 4 yards.

Yahoo stat tracker not showing that ?

3 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

Yahoo stat tracker not showing that ?

Check NFL stat tracker.. very strange.