TimmySmith

Official 2019 World Series Thread

Smoltz is just awesome in the booth. He’s like the Romo of baseball, calling pitches out before they’re thrown, but with a better demeanor   

Still don’t understand the hate for Buck.  I liked McCarver well enough, and enjoyed them as a team  

But Buck and Smoltz are solid together.  They sound exactly like what October baseball should sound like.  

59 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Smoltz is just awesome in the booth. He’s like the Romo of baseball, calling pitches out before they’re thrown, but with a better demeanor   

Still don’t understand the hate for Buck.  I liked McCarver well enough, and enjoyed them as a team  

But Buck and Smoltz are solid together.  They sound exactly like what October baseball should sound like.  

I don't hate Buck anymore. Him getting the job because of his father bothers a lot of people. 

• Like 1

Small ball isn’t dead after all.  Doesn’t get much smaller than the top half of the 7th in this game.  

Wow - da fuq? :huh:

When you blow thru Cole and Verlander,. you're are a team of destiny - it's the Natty Lights year.

How does a MLB team possibly win without paying a guy 300 million? Nats suck, they are dumb.

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

How does a MLB team possibly win without paying a guy 300 million? Nats suck, they are dumb.

Gotta wonder if Harper even cares.  He's never struck me as much of a team player.  Either way, WS winners are nearly impossible to predict at the beginning of the season. How many people had the Nationals even getting here? 

37 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Gotta wonder if Harper even cares.  He's never struck me as much of a team player.  Either way, WS winners are nearly impossible to predict at the beginning of the season. How many people had the Nationals even getting here? 

Last 2 Red Sox WS seemed like luck to me.  MLB just isn't that good of a product, it's so watered down. Like the NFL. Winning it all just isn't as impressive as it used to be. Seems like the best of the average win and not the best of the best

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

Last 2 Red Sox WS seemed like luck to me.  MLB just isn't that good of a product, it's so watered down. Like the NFL. Winning it all just isn't as impressive as it used to be. Seems like the best of the average win and not the best of the best

Eye of the beholder. I thought the Red Sox last year were one of the best teams I've ever seen. 

43 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I doubt he does...... and to be honest, I don't hold it against him.

You give me $300m - I'm not gonna care about too much either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Eye of the beholder. I thought the Red Sox last year were one of the best teams I've ever seen. 

Heard anything about this? I just assumed they would, damn they'd be tough if they got him.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-yankees-expected-to-pursue-gerrit-cole-in-free-agency-but-they-might-not-be-the-favorites/

Just now, Cruzer said:

Heard anything about this? I just assumed they would, damn they'd be tough if they got him.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-yankees-expected-to-pursue-gerrit-cole-in-free-agency-but-they-might-not-be-the-favorites/

They tried to get him last time around.  The yankees are cursed. Does it matter who they get? should have never lost this year

I laughed when Martin Maldonado clubbed a worthless homer in the 9th and they set off fireworks and blew the train whistle down 12-3.  Idiots.

52 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Well, they wouldn't go long for Corbin, and he's younger. But after this year they have to do something. It's not like the Astros are going away. The Red Sox are, but Houston is going to be the roadblock for a while. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

The key to building a perennial champion is to have a crazy good bullpen, including a stud lefty reliever.  The 90s Yankees were the last true dynasty because they were the last to successfully build this way.  They had the best closer of all time in Mariano Rivera.  Lesser understood was that they had some stud lefty relievers like Graeme Lloyd and Mike Stanton.  That shortened the game to 5 innings.  If you didn't beat them in 5 innings, you weren't winning. 

We saw the sheer dominance of a stud lefty reliever with Andrew Miller in the 2016 playoffs.  He just couldn't stay at that level and got hurt.  If Andrew Miller could have stayed healthy and productive, you are basically seeing the Indians dominate the AL for a few years.  That one injury altered baseball history.  Indians are trying to fill the role by trading off Trevor Bauer, getting lefty starter prospect Logan Allen from the Padres in return, and immediately converting Allen over into a bullpen guy.  Its THAT important to have it.  Yankees currently have Zach Britton in the stud lefty reliever role. 

Those are the two AL teams to watch really.  Indians and Yankees. 

The Indians have a stud rotation and are trying to find that stud lefty reliever piece to take it all to the next level.  The Yankees have the stud lefty reliever and this offseason they are probably gonna go out in free agency and take their rotation to the next level.  Its just whoever gets their missing piece first.

But in 2020, Yankees are clear favorites to dominate because they will sign 1-2 aces, and pair that with a strong pen (with Britton being key) and great hitting.  If not for several miracle defensive plays by the Astros, the Yankees are in the world series this year. 

Indians will enter 2020 much stronger because several starters took the next level this year.  They will have Kluber, Bieber and Clevinger as 3 legit aces and obviously they plan on Logan Allen filling the Andrew Miller role.  We'll see if that works.

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Wow - da fuq? :huh:

When you blow thru Cole and Verlander,. you're are a team of destiny - it's the Natty Lights year.

Verlander actually sucks in the WS historically.

• Like 1

I repeat (from some other thread).  Astros in 6.  What are the odds on this?

26 minutes ago, BufordT said:

I repeat (from some other thread).  Astros in 6.  What are the odds on this?

astros in 5

3 hours ago, posty said:

Scherzer scratched due to neck spasms...  Joe Ross to start in game 5...

Advantage Astros 

Nationals have a pretty big edge if Scherzer can get healthy.  I'd easily take Strasburg over Verlander in game 6.  And Scherzer would be a heavy favorite over whomever starts game 7.

I thought Washington was going to cruise this year, then I tune back in and they’re down 3-2. 

I guess something weird happened over the weekend.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, posty said:

My Nats are cruising...

🤣

6 hours ago, riversco said:

Nationals have a pretty big edge if Scherzer can get healthy.  I'd easily take Strasburg over Verlander in game 6.  And Scherzer would be a heavy favorite over whomever starts game 7.

IF the Nats did this purposely to take chances in 5 and play for 7, it could be an incredible move.  Still have to hit.   And win game 6.

3 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Update?

Natty Lights swept at home and TW won - not a good weekend for posty. :lol:

6 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Update?

That I'm not a Nats fan...

I can't root for them even though I live outside DC...

Wait...was this a different posty then:

No, that was me, but I am not a Nats fan...

Certainly sounds like it, but ok.

I have been a Braves fan since WTBS starting airing the games when they were known as WTCG...  Though in Homers, I have been the Natinals more times than the Twins and Diamondbacks...

I was doing that to see what kind of response I would get...

Just now, posty said:

I have been a Braves fan since WTBS starting airing the games when they were known as WTCG...  Though in Homers, I have been the Natinals more times than the Twins and Diamondbacks...

Duly noted.  I missed the sarcasm. 

8 minutes ago, posty said:

Fockin weirdo. 

In all seriousness, the Nats are far from dead.

W/Strausberg throwing Tues., and Scherzer probably Game 7 - I could easily see them still winning this thing.