TimmySmith

Official 2019 World Series Thread

5 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

In all seriousness, the Nats are far from dead.

W/Strausberg throwing Tues., and Scherzer probably Game 7 - I could easily see them still winning this thing.

Not dead, but their on their heels after losing 3 straight.  

13 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

IF the Nats did this purposely to take chances in 5 and play for 7, it could be an incredible move.  Still have to hit.   And win game 6.

I don't think it was intentional but it could give them massive leverage.

6 hours ago, riversco said:

I don't think it was intentional but it could give them massive leverage.

Definitely not intentional. In fact I give the odds of Scherzer pitching at all at less than 50/50 if it goes to 7.

Trying to find examples of pitchers getting back spasms and their recovery time.

Tyson Ross suffered from it on April 12th, 2017.  He was down for about 10 days.  Nothing about him getting a cortisone shot like Scherzer did though.

Adam Wainwright missed one start in July 2019 with back spasms.  Bounced back with 7 scoreless innings.  No word of him getting a cortisone shot.

Robbie Ray went on the 10 day IL this year with back spasms and was right back in the rotation 11 days later. Again, no word of a cortisone shot.

Johnny Cueto left game 1 in the 2nd inning of the 2012 NLDS vs the Giants with back spasms.  David Wells recommended a cortisone shot but I have no record of him ever getting a shot.  He did not reappear in that series.   (the Giants upset the Reds and went on to win the world series). 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/10/08/mlb-cortisone-shots/1621781/

26 minutes ago, riversco said:

Trying to find examples of pitchers getting back spasms and their recovery time.

Tyson Ross suffered from it on April 12th, 2017.  He was down for about 10 days.  Nothing about him getting a cortisone shot like Scherzer did though.

Adam Wainwright missed one start in July 2019 with back spasms.  Bounced back with 7 scoreless innings.  No word of him getting a cortisone shot.

Robbie Ray went on the 10 day IL this year with back spasms and was right back in the rotation 11 days later. Again, no word of a cortisone shot.

Johnny Cueto left game 1 in the 2nd inning of the 2012 NLDS vs the Giants with back spasms.  David Wells recommended a cortisone shot but I have no record of him ever getting a shot.  He did not reappear in that series.   (the Giants upset the Reds and went on to win the world series). 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/10/08/mlb-cortisone-shots/1621781/

I have severe back pain at times.  I could hardly walk 10 feet BEFORE getting 1 series of cortisone injections.  Since, I have done a lot, including pitch in an alumni baseball game.  I am 45.

cortisone can do amazing things.

55 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

cortisone can do amazing things.

And it really only does one thing for athletes.  Reduce inflammation.  Amazing what inflammation can do to limit you.

3 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Holy fock - I didn't realize Verlander is 0-5 in WS appearances. :shocking:

Only pitcher in history to lose his first 5 WS starts.

25 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I've thought it over, I'd still trade lives with him. :D

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Actually he lost his first three starts...  He got a ND in his fourth start against the Dodgers in 2017 (game 2)...

2 minutes ago, posty said:

Actually he lost his first three starts...  He got a ND in his fourth start against the Dodgers in 2017 (game 2)...

Ok, how about this:

1st player in history to go 0-5 in the WS.  

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Well, yeah.  

According to the GC, she's fat. :doh:

3 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Holy fock - I didn't realize Verlander is 0-5 in WS appearances. :shocking:

And Strasburg is nails in the playoffs always, so I'd make the Nats favorites in game 6. 

Just now, riversco said:

And Strasburg is nails in the playoffs always, so I'd make the Nats favorites in game 6. 

Tell ya man, they have a real good shot to win this still.

6 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Ok, how about this:

1st player in history to go 0-5 in the WS.  

Now that is true...

:)

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Didn't know Bregman was a dik. 

He sure swung that big thing this series 

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

Took me about 3 minutes to realize it was on repeat.

Stud. I only lasted a minute. 

50 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Good call, he ran into his glove. 

I have no horse in this race.  In fact, this is the first game I’ve watched in this series.  I say this so you don’t think I’m a fan of either team.

That was a focking terrible call.  Technically, yes, he ran inside the base line.  However, it was the barest inch or two inside the line and he corrected himself as he approached the base.  He was clearly on first already when the ball got there and, I believe, hit him in the leg.  The fact that he ran most of the way half a step inside the chalk had no bearing on the play.  As this is a judgement call, the ump should have realized that the runner being in there didn’t impact the play.

Nats should be favored to win game 7 but a good sign for the Astros was that they hammered Doolittle.  Doolittle finished the 9th with some loud outs.  Maybe it was just rust or maybe Doolittle is hitting a slump again.

19 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Tell ya man, they have a real good shot to win this still.

Yep, the Stros gonna fock this up.

This thing has fallen right into the Nats lap.  Team is loose, bats are back awake, Scherzer (hopefully feeling good) on the hill.  I expect to see Greinke and Cole and no one else for the Stros.

10 hours ago, Big Blue 06 said:

That was a focking terrible call.  Technically, yes, he ran inside the base line.  However, it was the barest inch or two inside the line and he corrected himself as he approached the base.  He was clearly on first already when the ball got there and, I believe, hit him in the leg.  The fact that he ran most of the way half a step inside the chalk had no bearing on the play.  As this is a judgement call, the ump should have realized that the runner being in there didn’t impact the play.

Absolutely horrible call. The glove was in front of the base offering Turner no path at all without hitting it. If anything the fielder was obstructing the path to the base without the ball.

What about that Mattress guy that has like 12 million bet on the astros or something silly like that

29 minutes ago, edjr said:

What about that Mattress guy that has like 12 million bet on the astros or something silly like that

He must sell a shiit load of focking mattresses. :shocking:

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Absolutely horrible call. The glove was in front of the base offering Turner no path at all without hitting it. If anything the fielder was obstructing the path to the base without the ball.

Wild play.  I kind of want the Nats to win, for no real reason except new team to win.  My take..Turner would have been safe if he ran the baseline more properly, even with a better throw.  The throw was terrible causing most of the issue, and what you point out here.  However, Turner's left foot never hits dirt, it's on the infield grass the whole time until it hits the base, that's bush.  And therefore I was ok with the call.  Manager was hilarious.

48 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

Max Scherzer has some crazy eyes

He looks like a Breaking Bad character or something.