Sign in to follow this  
sderk

Kerryon Johnson placed on IR

Us Kerryon owners, what are you spending on Ty for FAAB? I am torn. I feel like it has to almost be at least 50%, but that is high for an unproven. 

I don't own him, but still going to bid a 1/3 $FAAB. Nothing I saw from TY makes me think he's worth more.

i guess the question is: is Ty Johnson, or someone else for the Lions, going to be that FA acquisition that swings a bunch of fantasy season.

this seems like a key week - with Chase Edmunds also still available in certain leagues.  but neither guy seems to be certain to grab a huge role

12 minutes ago, cavern said:

i guess the question is: is Ty Johnson, or someone else for the Lions, going to be that FA acquisition that swings a bunch of fantasy season.

Maybe Ajayi or Ware if they don't get signed by Cards?

4 minutes ago, NAn said:

Maybe Ajayi or Ware if they don't get signed by Cards?

yeah - it seems a popular opinion that the lions will go out and sign someone rather than turn over the reigns to Ty.  While he was a 6th round draft pick, he had some very impressive measurables at the combine and the Lions, at least, felt comfortable entering the season with Ty as #2 behind Kerryon who had not proven durable in the past.

Grab CJ Anderson while you can. Be a sensible add for the Lions. Already knows the offense, and is well rested. 

2 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Grab CJ Anderson while you can. Be a sensible add for the Lions. Already knows the offense, and is well rested. 

Zach Zenner is more sensible imo. Anderson looked like he had bulked up to be a backup stay puff marshmallow man last I saw of him

1 hour ago, tanatastic said:

Watch McKissic score all the points there.

This.  They were already using him a ton a la Theo Riddick.  I think he'll be borderline startable for a few weeks now.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Anderson looked like he had bulked up to be a backup stay puff marshmallow man last I saw of him

Well, that used to be a thing in the NFL....maybe he is reinventing himself in the Jerome Bettis mold.

(Of course, they could just roll with Ty)

I dealt for KJ in dynasty on Saturday.   Cost me AJ Green and a 2020 1st

My KJ moment last about 1 quarter, 2.3 points.   At least I got the W 

3 hours ago, cavern said:

yeah - it seems a popular opinion that the lions will go out and sign someone rather than turn over the reigns to Ty.  While he was a 6th round draft pick, he had some very impressive measurables at the combine and the Lions, at least, felt comfortable entering the season with Ty as #2 behind Kerryon who had not proven durable in the past.

Just for the record his “measurable” consisted of just being fast (4.3ish 40) at Terps Pro Day.  He was NOT invited to the combine before draft, and every grade i saw on him suggested middling chance to make a splash in the league.  Small, but not a 3rd down back.  Fast but no stiff arm, avoids contact and shuffles his feet when about to get hit. 

But I’d agree with ya, I’d pass and wait to see who they sign

7 minutes ago, phlegmish said:

Just for the record his “measurable” consisted of just being fast (4.3ish 40) at Terps Pro Day.  He was NOT invited to the combine before draft, and every grade i saw on him suggested middling chance to make a splash in the league.  Small, but not a 3rd down back.  Fast but no stiff arm, avoids contact and shuffles his feet when about to get hit. 

But I’d agree with ya, I’d pass and wait to see who they sign

I do not put any stock in someone not being invited to the combine. Guys get snubbed all the time and are legit athletes. Guys get invited and they look like boat anchors trying to complete athleticism drills. 

I am really torn giving up my number 1 priority and one of 5 remaining moves for Ty. I feel like he's not worth it in this offense, but it's still possible he ends up being one of those guys who is a huge help. As of now I am leaning toward pulling the trigger just because it's possible he ends up worth it. This league seems to trick me into using early priority only to have the real gem pop up the next week. 

14 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I am really torn giving up my number 1 priority and one of 5 remaining moves for Ty. I feel like he's not worth it in this offense, but it's still possible he ends up being one of those guys who is a huge help. As of now I am leaning toward pulling the trigger just because it's possible he ends up worth it. This league seems to trick me into using early priority only to have the real gem pop up the next week. 

I'm torn too and I really need RBs.  I think I'm going to go after Stills instead.  I think the Lions sign a veteran to fill in the gap eventually.

36 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I am really torn giving up my number 1 priority and one of 5 remaining moves for Ty. I feel like he's not worth it in this offense, but it's still possible he ends up being one of those guys who is a huge help. As of now I am leaning toward pulling the trigger just because it's possible he ends up worth it.

It kind of depends on how large your league is and who you currently have at RB.  He's had his bye, so if there's any chance he could help you out down the road, even as a bye week fill-in for guys like Zeke/Ingram (Week 8), Freeman/Mixon/Gurley/Kamara/Murray (Week 9), Lindsay/Hyde/Fournette/Michel/White/Howard/Peterson (Week 10), Carson/AJones/Saquon/Henry (Week 11) or Dalvin/Ekeler/Gordon/McCoy/DJ (Week 12), then you might as well burn even a high waiver priority on him.

I mean it's Week 8 already; there are maybe only 3-4 more meaningful waiver weeks anyway--who are you saving it for?  After that, you're probly either in the playoffs or out of the playoffs, and even if you're on the bubble, the chances of a magical waiver wire savior appearing in Weeks 12-14 are pretty slim.

So at this point in the season, when a RB who can offer you 10-12 points per week becomes available (and that goes for J.D. McKissic too, in PPR leagues), I think you have to go for it.  More times than not, it will probably be the best option you'll have for the remainder of the season.

Of course, if you're sporting 3 top 10 RBs already, then you might be better served to wait--but I wouldn't think that would apply to very many teams.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I do not put any stock in someone not being invited to the combine. Guys get snubbed all the time and are legit athletes. Guys get invited and they look like boat anchors trying to complete athleticism drills. 

Cmon.  No stock? That might only be 3-5% of quality NFL guys over the last 30 yrs or so.  Sure, there are udfa gems once in a while but rare is a real difference maker. My point was more that Ty doesn’t seem to have shown anything but fast.  He didn’t really even have a great career in college tbh.  Soph season was only 1000yd yr and he doesn’t catch for shite.

Now, to be sure I’ve spent early rookie draft picks for guys like Curtis Enis and Trent Richardson so I’m not afraid of using ww to fix the error of my choices but my main league has been dynasty since ‘93 and it’s awfully hard to find anything hidden with our owners and roster size.  

24 minutes ago, phlegmish said:

Cmon.  No stock? That might only be 3-5% of quality NFL guys over the last 30 yrs or so.  Sure, there are udfa gems once in a while but rare is a real difference maker. My point was more that Ty doesn’t seem to have shown anything but fast.  He didn’t really even have a great career in college tbh.  Soph season was only 1000yd yr and he doesn’t catch for shite.

Now, to be sure I’ve spent early rookie draft picks for guys like Curtis Enis and Trent Richardson so I’m not afraid of using ww to fix the error of my choices but my main league has been dynasty since ‘93 and it’s awfully hard to find anything hidden with our owners and roster size.  

I don't. If someone says player X was not invited to the combine, it doesn't mean anything to me. I have to see their pro day numbers. Yes they end up getting most guys, but if there is a glimmer of hope for a player, Not a combine invite plays zero role in how I evaluate a player. 

During the time between the draft and the start of the season, I panicked that I drafted 2 injury prone RB’s in my first 3 picks with Cook & Johnson.  I decided to trade one.  Yep, it was Cook.

Ajayi or Anderson would seem the most likely to join the Lions.  

And Anderson would seem to be the right choice, since he was already on the team during the summer. 

16 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

The Lions have brought up Paul Perkins from the garbage heap.

Fixed ;)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Still think McKissic is going to be the RB to own here, esp. in PPR.

I'm intruiged with this thought.  Can you unpack this a bit more?  Why do you believe that?

1 minute ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I'm intruiged with this thought.  Can you unpack this a bit more?  Why do you believe that?

Axe Elf said it; isn't that enough?

I dunno, probly nothing that I can convince anyone of using statistics with circles and arrows and a paragraph describing each one; just a collection of hints and hunches, more than anything.  But an Axe Elf hunch carries more weight than most statistical analyses, anyway...

I axually saw quite a few of McKissic's games in college at Arkansas State, and while his college stats overall are nothing flashy, he always seemed to deliver the big play when his team needed it the most--so I think he has some breakaway, big-play ability if he's put into the right situations.  In the pros, he's been mired in the Seattle backfield behind two or three other solid RBs for the last 3 years, so he's never really been a featured back--but he does have those years of seasoning under his belt, whereas Ty Johnson is still a rookie.  Detroit cut Theo Riddick--who they used enough to be fantasy-relevant in PPR scoring as a pass-catcher out of the backfield--and brought in McKissic, who has essentially the same skill set (perhaps even better), and they've been using him more and more, even before Kerryon was injured--20 targets/touches over the past 3 games with 5 receptions and 112 scrimmage yards.

I think they're going to give Ty Johnson the first shot at lead back responsibilities, but I haven't really seen anything out of him in his limited usage so far that suggests to me that he can carry the load.  I think they'll be turning to McKissic more and more, assuming they go with the RBs they have and don't sign an Ajayi or something.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

Axe Elf said it; isn't that enough?

I dunno, probly nothing that I can convince anyone of using statistics with circles and arrows and a paragraph describing each one; just a collection of hints and hunches, more than anything.  But an Axe Elf hunch carries more weight than most statistical analyses, anyway...

I axually saw quite a few of McKissic's games in college at Arkansas State, and while his college stats overall are nothing flashy, he always seemed to deliver the big play when his team needed it the most--so I think he has some breakaway, big-play ability if he's put into the right situations.  In the pros, he's been mired in the Seattle backfield behind two or three other solid RBs for the last 3 years, so he's never really been a featured back--but he does have those years of seasoning under his belt, whereas Ty Johnson is still a rookie.  Detroit cut Theo Riddick--who they used enough to be fantasy-relevant in PPR scoring as a pass-catcher out of the backfield--and brought in McKissic, who has essentially the same skill set (perhaps even better), and they've been using him more and more, even before Kerryon was injured--20 targets/touches over the past 3 games with 5 receptions and 112 scrimmage yards.

I think they're going to give Ty Johnson the first shot at lead back responsibilities, but I haven't really seen anything out of him in his limited usage so far that suggests to me that he can carry the load.  I think they'll be turning to McKissic more and more, assuming they go with the RBs they have and don't sign an Ajayi or something.

Interesting.  Thanks!  Let's see if the Axe Elf Fantasty RecommendationTM pans out.

Mckissic is one of many players underutilized in football. The fist that I really noticed tragically was one of the most efficient running backs to ever play the game, Antonne Smith. 

I will be very interested to see if this backfield becomes a committee, or is one player gets a majority of the touches. It was dumb of the Lions to give so many to Kerryon because he just isn't that good, but they did anyway. Mckissic and Ty are probably close in talent to Kerryon. Mckissic is also a bit injury prone. Need to remember that. Why didn't the Lions bring back Zenner? He always filled in really well when needed

They did bring back Zenner, they sign Perkins. 

Same difference. 

55 minutes ago, weepaws said:

They did bring back Zenner, they sign Perkins. 

Same difference. 

It's actually not. Not even the same color dude

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

It's actually not. Not even the same color dude

100% the same, neither is going to be used much  

Same difference. 

And please stop being so racist. 

10 minutes ago, weepaws said:

100% the same, neither is going to be relayed on. 

Same difference. 

And please stop being so racist. 

Zach Zenner measurables out of college

5'10 223

4.6 40

25 reps bench 

7.08 3 cone

42 " vert

9.63" hand size

Paul Perkins out of college

5'10 208

4.54 40

19 reps bench

32" vert

9" hands

Not the same guy. Zenne is a much better built running back. 

6 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Zach Zenner measurables out of college

5'10 223

4.6 40

25 reps bench 

7.08 3 cone

42 " vert

9.63" hand size

Paul Perkins out of college

5'10 208

4.54 40

19 reps bench

32" vert

9" hands

Not the same guy. Zenne is a much better built running back. 

I’m not talking about who’s built better, I’m talking about importance. 

Neither one is going to be a big contributor to the Lions , neither. 

You can keep checking out their body’s, I’ll keep posting  about ff. 

There's also the chance that a reduction in the Lions' running game might lift Stafford from QB7 into the top 5...

Or it might hurt Stafford and take him for a Qb 7 to a Qb 9. 

Only the Lord knows. 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Or it might hurt Stafford and take him for a Qb 7 to a Qb 9. 

Only the Lord knows. 

Thanks. 

Actually, he doesn't