Sign in to follow this  
EternalShinyAndChrome

Hypothetical Situation - Clueless Owner

Scenario:  You're playing against a team that has someone(s) in their lineup that is considered OUT or even DOUBTFUL for the game.  Owner of that team doesn't realize that or hasn't noticed it yet and probably won't because he doesn't really pay attention. 

Now, if another owner posts on the league message board "Hey Dude - you have some guys on your starting roster that are not playing " (drawing attention) would you consider that bad form?  I mean, part of your strategy could be anticipating clueless owners, but if another owner draws attention to that would you get perturbed about it since it's NOT his matchup (the owner who drew attention to the lineup)?

I would be perturbed, sure, but I wouldn't have any leg to stand on for a formal grievance or anything.

After all, it's the other owners' jobs to look out for their own best interests, too--which include facilitating YOUR team's loss.

If it was the league-leading undefeated team that was starting some bye players, they might not say anything, but if you're running away with the division, there's nothing wrong with them trying to make you earn it.

I would consider it bad form NOT to get the owner to get his act together.. 

League should be concerned as well as the commish obviously wheh dudes compromise the integrity of the league..

1 minute ago, mgirgent said:

I would consider it bad form NOT to get the owner to get his act together..

This.

Players who dont at least keep up their team generally ruin the parity of the league.

but as mentioned earlier by Axe elf.   if the first place team has an injured player starting, chances are good that nobody says anything.

but In general a nudge to get any semi active player more active is one that should be viewed as a move that is good for the league.

Agreed with the above.  I think it's bad form to allow any team in the league to start someone who isn't playing, or a player on a bye, without the owner's knowledge.  Granted, the owner should be participating, however, we all know in redraft leagues those that are having crappy years often pack it in around this point.  It hurts the competitive nature of the league when this happens. 

If it was a one time thing, I don't think you should say anything about it, especially before the game starts and their line up locks.

If it becomes a pattern though, I would be okay with it.

I take whichever action helps me more. I’m only interested in winning, not managing other people’s teams. I also do not feel the need to lecture people about how much time they should be spending on a hobby.

I had the commish of one of my dynasty league set the lineup for an out of touch owner against me.

I end'ed up winning but thought that was a bit much.  

9 hours ago, polecatt said:

If it was a one time thing, I don't think you should say anything about it, especially before the game starts and their line up locks.

If it becomes a pattern though, I would be okay with it.

well, it also depends.   if a GM has a number of players on bye(or injured), and does not want to risk waivers by dropping one, it will sometimes happen deliberately.

usually this is more of a risk with teams who have already imploded and no longer can compete for a playoff spot.

6 hours ago, Matt Mueller said:

I had the commish of one of my dynasty league set the lineup for an out of touch owner against me.

I end'ed up winning but thought that was a bit much.  

it is a bit much.  in this scenario, did the commiish do this in previous weeks with the same player?   if not, why is he suddenly doing it with you.

this should have been brought up with the league before unilaterally doing this.....or there should be a rule in place to address such things.

either way, not a cool way to handle it.

if the GM had been doing this all season long with everyone, then this action is actually ok because there is a consistency in the way the remedy to the situation has been applied.

I generally dont like it when this sort of thing happens arbitrarily after weeks of inaction regardless of who the beneficiary is.

12 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, it also depends.   if a GM has a number of players on bye(or injured), and does not want to risk waivers by dropping one, it will sometimes happen deliberately.

usually this is more of a risk with teams who have already imploded and no longer can compete for a playoff spot.

Well, I guess you can't do much about that but in most of my leagues we make a rule that you have to start a player in each slot for that very reason

On 10/24/2019 at 12:56 PM, polecatt said:

Well, I guess you can't do much about that but in most of my leagues we make a rule that you have to start a player in each slot for that very reason

so if you have injuries or multiple players on Bye in any given week you get screwed over?

I'm not sure I'm liking this format.    but its not my league, so if you guys all like it.... knock yourselves out.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

so if you have injuries or multiple players on Bye in any given week you get screwed over?

I'm not sure I'm liking this format.    but its not my league, so if you guys all like it.... knock yourselves out.

Well, haven't gotten any complaints about it.

We have IR spots in case players get injured. It makes you roster most all positions. Can't just fill your bench with RBs and WRs like in a lot of leagues. Plus the waiver wire is quite active.

Nothing irritates me more than a  ignorant team owner who doesn't pay attention.

Why?  A myriad of reasons. 

One, the spirit of competition.  You are in the league, pay attention and participate. That after all is the whole idea.  If you aren't, why waste your time, money, as well as the time of the others in the league. Don't want to trade or make moves? Fine, but jeebus, at the very least, make sure you have a full lineup in each week. 

The blase owner not only affects his team, but could very well affect me.  He puts in crap, or leaves bye players in and he loses to a team that is close to me in the standings, a team that he should/could beat, that would leave me livid. 

Hell, if you lose, let it at least be with a full team. Don't hand the stinking game away. Your TE on the bye? K? D/ST?  Plug and play. It's that simple. Those 5-7 points you leave on the table might make the difference between winning and losing. 

This happened in a league I was in years back. I was told by one ignoramus team owner, "you just worry about your team.."  I said, (resisting the urge to throw a full pint glass at his empty cranium), I am toolbag, that is why I want every team to give 100% whether you are in 1st or 11th. If your lack of team management affects me, I won't be happy. 

If you are going to lose, at least go down swinging. Stupidity I can stomach, at least in stupidity there is some effort. 

As a responsible member of the community (league) it is your right, neigh, your duty, to protect the integrity of the league by reminding people to also behave as good members by setting lineups and remaining active.

*unless you're playing against them that week

Here is something that is not hypothetical. A clueless (and perhaps impatient) owner just dropped Davante Adams. I don’t have priority but I am hoping there are a lot of clueless owners in my league.  This owner is in last place with one win so there’s that.  

wish i had problems like that...

17 hours ago, FFer said:

Here is something that is not hypothetical. A clueless (and perhaps impatient) owner just dropped Davante Adams. I don’t have priority but I am hoping there are a lot of clueless owners in my league.  This owner is in last place with one win so there’s that.