Sign in to follow this  
Sean Mooney

Your Fatal Flaw

Every year you look at your fantasy team and you can probably pinpoint what your downfall will be.

In one league I am currently 4-3 and in 4th place. My downfall there is going to be running back. I have David Johnson and Joe Mixon as my top two running backs which presents its own problems. And on top of it right now it looks like Johnson might be missing more time after Arizona dicked with us all last week. After those two I have David Montgomery (no help), Jordan Howard (help if Pederson removes his head from his rear end), and I just grabbed Ty Johnson off of waivers this week.

At receiver I am strong-ish, I have Allen, Diggs, Godwin, Anderson, John Brown, and Geronimo Allison. At tight end I have Austin Hooper and Gerald Everett. We play 2 RBs, 2 WR, a tight end, and 2 FLEX spots. So my goal now is to shore up the receiver spots and just roll two running backs the rest of the year.

In another league I am 5-2 and am strong at RB, (McCaffrey, Fournette, Carson, Hyde), and strong-ish at wide receiver with (Diggs, Smith-Schuster, Evans, Jones Jr., Ridley, Anderson). But at tight end I have Delanie Walker and Chris Herndon. We play 2 RB, 3 WR and a TE in that league. Trying to navigate the tight end spot this year has been terrible.

Additionally with that second league there is a team with Mark Andrews and Hunter Henry and they are not really looking at trades. Another team has Travis Kelce and George Kittle. They are being unrealistic with trades. I offered some pieces for Kittle and was countered with Leonard Fournette. Now seriously, why would I give up the 7th running back points wise in the league for a tight end that you are literally not able to play?

So anyway- what flaw do you see being your downfall this year.

I wouldn't count on Ty doing anything, but that's just my opinion.  Pedersen sucks with his RB usage choices.  I don't understand his philosophy at all. 

My fatal flaw for my best team was TE.  I made a big move yesterday though to acquire Henry.  I had been rolling with Walker & Witten, but with a very deep team at WR, I traded Hilton for Henry.  Sure, I lost in the deal in terms of player vs. player value, but being 6 deep at WR made the decision easy.  We only have to use one RB in the league and I have Kamara, Murray, Gore, McCoy, Walton and Ronald Jones Jr.  It's a dynasty, so Karmara/Murray will keep me going for many more years and I'm hoping one of the long-shots like Walton or Jones Jr. will develop into a Flex type player in the future.  If not, I'll keep using my WR's.  TE was my largest hole though and it's now filled.  :)

i have won so many leagues since 94 that i have become really cocky.

anyone care to rebutt?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, taco breath said:

i have won so many leagues since 94 that i have become really cocky.

anyone care to rebutt?

I think your breath smells more like burritos.

Oldtimer that is a good trade. It runs into this idea of taking on losing value for a deal that fills a hole

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Also foreign to Axe Elf:  sex with anything other than his right hand.  ;)

I think we've all tried our hands at sex...

Of my 4 dynasty teams, I have one that isn't going anywhere and by far the biggest hole I have is my RBs outside of Zeke. I have good depth at WR but lack a real WR1.

The other 3 teams, I'm in the top 2 in the standings of all of them. I have good to great depth on each team, my downfall on any of them would be starting the wrong players.

My team is 6-1 and in sole possession of first place. But my fatal flaw is at QB. I drafted Wentz hoping that he would revert to his 2017 form, and he's been ... fine. But I'm worried he may get injured again (he always walks to the sidelines looking like he just got something knocked out of joint) and that Eagles offense can't seem to find its gear. I'd love to figure out a way to upgrade my QB (I have Waller and HHenry, so I'm hoping to do it by packaging one of them with Wentz).

The one bright spot is that it's not a QB-heavy scoring league (4pts/TD, 35yds/pt) so I can probably get by with competent play at the position. And the rest of my roster is pretty strong.

1 minute ago, zftcg said:

My team is 6-1 and in sole possession of first place. But my fatal flaw is at QB. I drafted Wentz hoping that he would revert to his 2017 form, and he's been ... fine. But I'm worried he may get injured again (he always walks to the sidelines looking like he just got something knocked out of joint) and that Eagles offense can't seem to find its gear. I'd love to figure out a way to upgrade my QB (I have Waller and HHenry, so I'm hoping to do it by packaging one of them with Wentz).

The one bright spot is that it's not a QB-heavy scoring league (4pts/TD, 35yds/pt) so I can probably get by with competent play at the position. And the rest of my roster is pretty strong.

I have that same issue with Wentz on a couple of my teams, luckily though Kyler Murray is panning out

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

I have that same issue with Wentz on a couple of my teams, luckily though Kyler Murray is panning out

That's funny. The Murray owner has Brady, so I offered him Henry straight up for Murray. My TE depth for his QB depth. We'll see if he goes for it.

24 minutes ago, zftcg said:

That's funny. The Murray owner has Brady, so I offered him Henry straight up for Murray. My TE depth for his QB depth. We'll see if he goes for it.

I would think so, or hope so at least.

I started taking the top rookie QB as a flyer a lot of times since Cam completely saved my arse his rookie year

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I wouldn't count on Ty doing anything, but that's just my opinion.  Pedersen sucks with his RB usage choices.  I don't understand his philosophy at all. 

My fatal flaw for my best team was TE.  I made a big move yesterday though to acquire Henry.  I had been rolling with Walker & Witten, but with a very deep team at WR, I traded Hilton for Henry.  Sure, I lost in the deal in terms of player vs. player value, but being 6 deep at WR made the decision easy.  We only have to use one RB in the league and I have Kamara, Murray, Gore, McCoy, Walton and Ronald Jones Jr.  It's a dynasty, so Karmara/Murray will keep me going for many more years and I'm hoping one of the long-shots like Walton or Jones Jr. will develop into a Flex type player in the future.  If not, I'll keep using my WR's.  TE was my largest hole though and it's now filled.  :)

That’s a good move. 

48 minutes ago, Nomad99 said:

Drafting A.Brown & AJ.Green 

What, no Alfred Blue or Golden Tate?

You could have had the most colorful team in the league!

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

What, no Alfred Blue or Golden Tate?

You could have had the most colorful team in the league!

Racist. 

He could have had the most African-American team in the league.

• Haha 1

Debating between Carson and KJohnson on draft day. Feeling like picking Carson because he’s got the better team, but listening to FF mags and went with KJ. Team has potential too.

Murray/Brees

Bell/Edmonds/Ty Johnson

Adams/Diggs/Robinson/Green/Samuel

Waller/49ers DST/Zane

Need an RB to emerge badly.

Bad luck. I score gobs of points but teams peak on me when I play them. Following week that team sucks. Happened several times. And they barely beat me. Totally annoying because here I am with all these points but it's just not working out. 3 years straight, either 1 or two in points and can't push out of this funk. 

In truth, the vast majority of our teams have a fatal flaw that we can't do anything about: We don't have the guy who will peak during the fantasy playoffs and lead us to a title. And of course we don't know who that guy will be, so we can't go out and get him.

It doesn't happen every year or in every league. Back in 2017, the team with Gurley destroyed everyone on their way to a title in my main money league. But in another league, the Gurley team just barely missed out on the playoffs and I was able to win with a solid-but-unspectacular roster. Similarly, last year a lot of Derrick Henry owners were too far back to actually benefit from his late-season blow-up.

And for the record, I don't recommend trying to guess who that stud will be based on match-ups. Nor should we assume it will be the guys dominating now (last year I had a team with Mahomes, Barkley, Lindsey, Tyreek, Boyd, Kittle and the Chicago D that laid waste to the league all year but then petered out in the playoffs). You just have to hope fortune smiles upon you come Week 14.

Biggest flaw? In my $300 buy in league, I put too much faith in Montgomery and Singletary as RB2/3 candidates. Also spent too much on drafting OJ...

Team A is pretty good at 5-2 and in 1st place, although it started off slow, so I traded Diggs and A Rodgers away to get Tyreek Hill and Cam.  Cam got hurt, which was ok, because what i really wanted was Tyreek.  Now Mahomes is hurt (affecting Tyreek) and Digg and Rodgers KILLED it this past weekend, with both looking solid over the last 2+ weeks.  Now my biggest competition is highly likely to be me with the players I traded.  :wall:

Team B:  7-0 but weak at RB.  It's a 1QB/1RB/2WR/1Flex league.  Started super strong with CMC and Eckler with Marlon Mack to sub out for those guys and tried to move Eckler but nobody will trade.  Now that flex spot is weak with Mack underperforming and Eckler getting less run.  Nobody wants to trade the defending champ who's currently the only undefeated team.  

Having Henry and Waller. Trades rarely happen and the few teams with TE problems have horrible rosters and I want no one on their rosters.

The need to make something happen. Usually starts with a another team making a trade. Then it sets in and I feel like I need to make one also.   Waivers I know who I should take but for some reason I have to sing for the fences and end up striking out. All for a breakout player no one has heard of.