Sign in to follow this  
Crystal Meth Tweekers

Melvin Gordon buy low?

He looks awful. Running with no passion, and Ekeler ain’t going away.

His name value also makes it difficult to get a realistic buy low deal done.

Gordon will play better at some point, but the real problem right now is that he may have Wally Pipped himself.

Ekeler has been so effective, it's hard to imagine that this won't be something close to a 50/50 timeshare for the rest of the season.  Ekeler is their leading receiver- #3 in the entire league.

He has a 2.3ypc, including Bolts feeding him early/often first half of last game for 32yds on 16carries.  Plus not nearly as involved in the passing game as previous years, which increased his value. Snap count wise, first game back Gordon 46, Ekeler 32. Second game G 37, E 28, then  last game Ekeler actually out-snapped Gordon: G 34, E 38.

If anything Ekeler may be a buy low (though maybe if he has a quiet game v Chi since he's coming of solid game in Ten) as conventional wisdom may be that he will take a back seat to Gordon, but above supports otherwise.

44 minutes ago, WR Guru said:

Gordon will play better at some point, but the real problem right now is that he may have Wally Pipped himself.

Fun fact I learned a few years ago from snopes.com: Wally Pipp himself was not, in fact, Wally Pipped. (TLDR: It wasn't an injury that put Gehrig into the lineup; he was the team's star prospect and was always going to take over the 1B job. Think Eli/Daniel Jones earlier this year.)

Back to the topic at hand. I don't have Gordon, but I am kind of looking at him as a buy-low. Part of it is that I don't think his talent disappeared over the offseason. And part of it is that, when everyone is absolutely convinced he's cooked, that seems like the right time to buy.

Anyway, I currently have two strong TEs (Waller and Henry) and the Gordon owner recently lost Dissly, so I offered him Henry for Gordon. Haven't heard back yet. The one complicating factor is that he also just lost Kerryon, so I suspect he may not want to give up a RB, even one who is underperforming.

8 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Fun fact I learned a few years ago from snopes.com: Wally Pipp himself was not, in fact, Wally Pipped. (TLDR: It wasn't an injury that put Gehrig into the lineup; he was the team's star prospect and was always going to take over the 1B job. Think Eli/Daniel Jones earlier this year.)

You're right, it is disputed as to why Pipp left the Yankees lineup.  There are several different versions of the story.

I think though that "Wally Pipped" has come to describe a starter who sits out for any reason at all and then never gets his job back because his replacement is too good.

Go watch the replays.  He's lost a step.

If you own Gordon, try to see if you can get a bag of chips.

I think SD tried to showcase him and hope to swing a trade somewhere....back fired BIG TIME.   He might be worth a 4th rounder at best.

I wonder if his linemen aren't a little upset about his holdout considering they are usually:  the guys that enable his success, don't get enough credit, and are underpaid but don't holdout.  I can see some of these guys try a little less hard when he gets the ball considering the Chargers haven't looked like they were going to make a playoff run anyway.  I am just speculating though and haven't analyzed his runs this year.

Just my opinion, but if you take away his receiving stats over the past three years (when he's played), he isn't worth rostering.  He hasn't even averaged 4 yards per carry for his career and he's on a team where two other RB's have done so when he's been out.  He's simply NOT a good RB.  They have seemingly stopped looking his way in the passing game and they have to be considering giving Ekeler more opportunities rushing as Gordon has just looked that bad. 

They have two major injuries on the offensive line.  Nobody is coming back that I am aware of, but unless the person coming back is Larry Allen, circa 1995, he isn't going to help Gordon in the least. 

Calling him a "buy low" candidate is also not the best choice of words.  Nobody is giving up on him for peanuts considering they've held him this long and had to draft him early.  I have a lot of leagues and have yet to see him traded in a single one.  His name value will keep him from being traded for less than a normal buy-low candidate, regardless of the fact he's not going to help anyone win anything.  Fool's Gold. 

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Just my opinion, but if you take away his receiving stats over the past three years (when he's played), he isn't worth rostering.

And if you take away Zeke's rushing stats over the past three years (when he's played), he isn't worth rostering either.

The receiving stats are part of Gordon's game, but he kind of screwed himself by sitting out and letting Ekeler become such a large part of the passing scheme.  With the problems the Chargers have had with receivers and TEs this year, though, there's still room for Gordon to carve himself out the targets he'll need to be a legitimate RB1 again--but he does need to get himself back into a playing rhythm again soon.  He's running a little like it's still preseason.

22 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

And if you take away Zeke's rushing stats over the past three years (when he's played), he isn't worth rostering either.

The receiving stats are part of Gordon's game, but he kind of screwed himself by sitting out and letting Ekeler become such a large part of the passing scheme.  With the problems the Chargers have had with receivers and TEs this year, though, there's still room for Gordon to carve himself out the targets he'll need to be a legitimate RB1 again--but he does need to get himself back into a playing rhythm again soon.  He's running a little like it's still preseason.

That's a fair statement.  Without his receptions though, he's not a RB1.  Last year, they didn't have Henry, which gave Gordon some extra targets.  With Henry back, they seem to be utilizing Ekeler as a WR and ignoring Gordon.  My fear with anyone trading for Gordon is they will have to give up something decent to acquire him and the Chargers may realize their offense functions better without him.  He has looked bad when running the ball so far. 

He said recently that he's not missing another training camp and that holding out was a mistake.

I take that as he's not in the best football shape. I guess it's possible he gets it going sooner or later this season but I wouldn't give much for him right now

He's played three pretty good run defenses. There are better matchups on the horizon. It all depends on how low you go, kinda like the limbo.

I watched enough 80's wrestling to know that everyone has a price, it's just a matter of what the Gordon owner's asking price is.

Yeah he won’t be sold for peanuts. 

But I think it well get better for him as the season goes forward.  

I’ll buy for a bag of peanuts. 

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

He said recently that he's not missing another training camp and that holding out was a mistake.

I take that as he's not in the best football shape. I guess it's possible he gets it going sooner or later this season but I wouldn't give much for him right now

Dude will be 27th next year.  He won't be able to hold out anymore.

Problem is, if Gordon owner kept him this long, he's probably looking for more than market value.

With that O-line and Rivers decline, I'm not optimistic he's anything more than an RB2 when he get a good game script, meaning they can actually run the ball and stay in games. 

On a win now team I dealt for Keryon Johson before his injury only to have that back fire.

I offered KJ to the Gordon owner who has this year and next year on his contract and then he has to deal him and is out of contention this year. 

If I was the Gordon owner I personally would take that pretty easily.

I think I might revoke my offer.

Gordon has looked terrible and who knows about any landing spot or guaranteed work.

I agree he has masked bad effiecency in his career by playing on a good team and scoring tds 

They should get Okung back this week, that should help the line some. Game scripts have been really bad with Chargers falling behind by multiple scores early. It should get somewhat better... Opportunity is there... If he didn’t fumble and scored he would have finished as the 9th best RB instead of 20th.  I feel like this is Howard and Cohen from last year. Howard goes from low RB1 to flex...Gordon will be TD dependent... bad flex play w/o a TD and low RB1/ high RB2 when he scores. 

If you need a RB I suppose you can buy low, but I wouldn’t offer more than a low WR2

Relating to this post I did make a trade. This guy for what ever reason was in need of  WR. He wanted Keenan Allen. He gave up M.Gordon and Kelce. I threw in R. Jones. I was expecting a possible voted down veto but it didn't happen.  Yahoo sports rated the trade fairly close which surprised me.

I watched some of Gordon. He showed a little burst on that TD run. I see him picking it up from here on out. Having his LT back Okung may have helped. 

Wow nice trade. 

1 hour ago, Crystal Meth Tweekers said:

Relating to this post I did make a trade. This guy for what ever reason was in need of  WR. He wanted Keenan Allen. He gave up M.Gordon and Kelce. I threw in R. Jones. I was expecting a possible voted down veto but it didn't happen.  Yahoo sports rated the trade fairly close which surprised me.

I watched some of Gordon. He showed a little burst on that TD run. I see him picking it up from here on out. Having his LT back Okung may have helped. 

He averaged 3.88 YPC against Chicago, a team others have run all over.  Two receptions for three yards.  He does get the Packers next, and they've had guys run over them as well, so maybe he can finally hit the 4 YPC average.  Against the Titans he had a whopping 2 YPC average.  Against the Steelers, it was 2.25.  Okung should make a difference, but I've watched the defenses simply overwhelm the offensive line.  In the games Gordon has been back, he has a better YPC average than Ekeler, so it's not 100% on Gordon.  That offensive line seems to be injury riddled year after year.  I hope he does get better, but I wouldn't trade for him unless the owner was willing to practically give him away.  I think you did very well in your trade. 

1 hour ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Pass

If anything, i rather trade for Ekeler.

Question is, what's an Eckler worth?  I have in one league and have been trying to trade him to the Gordon owner, but he won't do it.  It's one 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 Flex league and I'm not happy with Marlon Mack or Eckler as my flex.  

The Lions could be a good spot for him, and a good move for the Lions.  

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, Ehlana said:

He's played three pretty good run defenses. There are better matchups on the horizon. It all depends on how low you go, kinda like the limbo.

I watched enough 80's wrestling to know that everyone has a price, it's just a matter of what the Gordon owner's asking price is.

The Million Dollar Man;  Ted DiBiase! 

I can't see any team, any team, trading for Gordon.  The Chargers want a 1st rounder.  Gordon hasn't been that good of a runner throughout his career and he's missed time every season.  He will be a free agent and I cannot imagine a team giving him more than the $10 million per season the Chargers offered.  I think he royally screwed himself.  He's not durable, doesn't hit 1,000 yards rushing and his only claim to fame is he can catch the ball out of the backfield.  Well, so can many others RB's who come at a fraction of the cost, yet may be more durable.  He's a plodding running back who has played in a division where he should have run amok.  The Raiders and Chiefs were horrible on defense his entire career.  He hasn't had the most difficult teams to run against the past three seasons and he's in an offense that can move the ball.  Buyer beware this offseason. 

If by buy low you mean hurry and buy him before his value goes lower, now is the perfect time. It's definitely the perfect time to give up two stud rookies and two first round picks for him in dynasty. 

Ken Whisenhunt was just fired as the Chargers' Offensive Coordinator.  Maybe Lynn will call the plays now and Gordon will become a top 5 RB.

After all, Derrick Henry did literally nothing for the Titans when Ken Whisenhunt was their head coach...

Gordon owner here and I am proud to say that he will not be Whisen or hunten anymore. He'll be balLynn!

Whiz firing is a scapegoat move.  Lynn is now coaching for his job.  He better recognize that Ekeler gives him the best chance to win.   Why commit on a guy that won't be around after this season?

Would agree, Lynn is now on the hot seat. 

Gordon is so un-special that it blows me away he held out.  Last year's miracle 5.1 ypc was an outlier for a guy with a total lack of vision.  His offensive linemen must hate him because he just runs up their backs on every play.  Yet another Wisconsin RB who gets into the league and proves useless.  Next year it will be Jonathan Taylor. 

The guy who drafted Gordon in our league is stuck with him.  He's been trying so hard to sell him as a 2nd tier fantasy RB but no one is buying. 

Hey congrats on hanging on to him. 

He’s been really good his last two games, I hope he keeps rolling for you, unless I’m playing against him.