zftcg

Week 8 streaming TE options

If you have Andrews or Witten on bye, or Howard/Cook/Walker potentially out, there aren't a ton of great options out there. Here's who I'm looking at in my 14-team 0.5 PPR league:

• Cameron Brate (@ Ten): Probably the best "brand name" of the bunch. Titans have been a favorable match-up for TEs this year (but TD-dependent; Hooper and Henry are the only two who put up yards against them). Howard was just ruled out, so the job is Brate's for at least this week. Main question is whether you believe the narrative about Arians not using his TE. Because Jameis definitely loves throwing to Brate.
  • Josh Hill (vs Ari): Assuming Cook is declared out, this is the "insert TE playing Arizona" argument. It is true that they weirdly shut down Engram last week, though Ellison scored. Hill is a replacement level talent, so you're really just banking on a TD here.
  • Dawson Knox (vs. Phi): Probably the most talented of the TE streamers. Philly is a middle-of-the-pack match-up vs TEs.
  • Jonnu Smith (vs TB): Again, assuming the starter is out. He's been putting up decent numbers the past few weeks, albeit on big plays. By the numbers, TB is the second most generous match-up for TEs.
  • Darren Fels (vs Oak): He's actually had some decent games, production wise. And Oakland is a good match-up. But I don't trust that dude at all.

At the end of the day, when you're dealing with replacement-level TEs, it's all a crapshoot. No amount of research can tell you which one will be lucky enough to fall into the end zone. At the moment, I'm leaning Smith. Curious to hear the perspective of others going through a similar process.

• Like 1

I have pretty much the same take as you, no way tell which one, if any catches a TD.

That's all it really comes down to, TD roulette.

Throw darts to choose.

Maybe Ricky Seals-Jones...  He's had 2 TDs and 10 targets for 129 yards in their past 3 games, although one of those games was an 0-fer.  So he's got a real low floor, but he probly has as much potential to get 60 yards and a TD as any of those named above.

• Like 1

I am liking Knox, but then again, I have for the last 3 weeks to little avail!

I own Fels but it’s not a good thing. 

Herndon isn’t own, but looks like he’s out once again. 

Its either Fels or Brate. 

Darn it. 

If this was me - and it will be next week - I’d be thinking Jonnu, Hill & RSJ, in that order. 
I do think Jonnu & RSJ might have additional value moving forward rest of year also.

I’m really interested in what’s going on with RSJ in Cleveland but NE is suffocating offenses right now.

Same choices, but I rushed and picked up Smith, Ten. and haven't looked back!

1 hour ago, rrmcguire said:

You like Smith over Josh Hill and the AZ defense?

That’s what my choice came down to. I’m going with the more talented TE with a very good matchup over the JAG with a great matchup. But like I said, there’s no right answer. We’re all just throwing darts. 

Yes, Smith to my way of thinking has much more upside this week. Hill could get zero looks, Smith will get 5-7 targets. Personal choice and just my 2 cents.

It's definitely a crap shoot.

I don't like those Brate numbers Hribar posted as I went with him as my TE2. I already have Fells and Herndon who is not playing.

I like Jonnu's upside and his matchup and was my second choice in our FA pickups (we do it auction-style).

I agree with whoever posted that Dawson Knox is probably the most talented, but he's just not getting the targets and with Kroft back they will only be tougher to come by.

So yeah- no answers here- but I can confound things slightly more! Josh Oliver. This dude supposedly has tons of upside and just got cleared to play again last week. FWIW, they said he was going to be more involved in the offense this week (not hard since he wasn't even targeted last week). I guess he'd be at the bottom of the list of names mentioned but I have a feeling he puts up some decent numbers. Disclaimer: I have him rostered, but not starting this week.

21 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Maybe Ricky Seals-Jones...  He's had 2 TDs and 10 targets for 129 yards in their past 3 games, although one of those games was an 0-fer.  So he's got a real low floor, but he probly has as much potential to get 60 yards and a TD as any of those named above.

I'd like him more if he wasn't against the patriots this week.

2 hours ago, zftcg said:

Turns out the correct answer was ... Ryan Griffin?!?!?!?!

Haha...crazy. 

And so goes fantasy football...

That said I’m not complaining about Smith’s performance. Of the guys I mentioned in the original post, he’s clearly been the best

14 minutes ago, GoBucky1 said:

I have Hooper and Kittle...what would you guys expect to get for one them in a trade? 

A pretty nice Kicker or a mid-tier Defense.

Will see what Kelce does tonight but I keep starting him over Hooper and damn, it's cost me several times.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:19 PM, weepaws said:

I own Fels but it’s not a good thing. 

Herndon isn’t own, but looks like he’s out once again. 

Its either Fels or Brate. 

Darn it. 

Lucky. 

On 10/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, zftcg said:

Thought this was interesting (and not at all what I would have expected):

Thank you very much. 

I was going to text my commissioner and make a change, then I saw your fantastic post about Brate. 

So I kept Fels. 

Wow if you hadn’t posted this I might have , no would have made a chance. 

Really just wanted to say thank you very much. 

Fels non ppr 17 points help me beat the last undefeated team in my 14 teamer. 

Thanks once again, and this is why this site is so amazing, I always learn.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

Thank you very much. 

I was going to text my commissioner and make a change, then I saw your fantastic post about Brate. 

So I kept Fels. 

Wow if you hadn’t posted this I might have , no would have made a chance. 

Really just wanted to say thank you very much. 

Fels non ppr 17 points help me beat the last undefeated team in my 14 teamer. 

Thanks once again, and this is why this site is so amazing, I always learn.  

Happy to help! Just glad you listened to that post and not the one where I said this :lol:

On 10/25/2019 at 1:17 PM, zftcg said:

Darren Fels (vs Oak): He's actually had some decent games, production wise. And Oakland is a good match-up. But I don't trust that dude at all.

16 hours ago, unclemercy said:

jonnu was a better than decent fill in for andrews now to decide whether or not to keep him rostered

Same here. It's almost like he did too well. I have no use for him ROS but don't want to kick him to the curb coming off a game like that. Scanned over the rest of my league's rosters but doubt even the TE-needy teams would be willing to trade anything of value for him. Plus, Walker could be back as soon as this week, submarining his value.

5 hours ago, zftcg said:

Happy to help! Just glad you listened to that post and not the one where I said this :lol:

Lol me to. 

23 hours ago, unclemercy said:

jonnu was a better than decent fill in for andrews now to decide whether or not to keep him rostered

Not saying this would be a reason to bench him, but Andrews' schedule is absolutely brutal ROS. Here's where opposing defenses rank in terms of FFPG to opposing TEs (0.5 PPR) 

• NE -- 32nd
  • @Cin - 27th
  • Hou -- 24th
  • @LAR -- 12th
  • SF -- 30th
  • @Buf -- 31st
  • NYJ -- 28th
  • @Cle -- 13th

That's five of the top six (and six of the top eight) over the next eight weeks. Meanwhile, while Jonnu doesn't have the best schedule (and still has his bye coming up), in Weeks 13 and 14 he faces Indy (5th) and Oakland (6th), just as Andrews is facing SF/Buffalo.

There's no one I'm in a huge rush to get off the WW (best available is probably Singletary), so I'm going to hold off on dropping Jonnu for now and see how this situation plays out with Walker. Can't imagine I'll hold on to him that long, but I'm at least going to take a breath before I make my next move.