Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

Your first ever fantasy football pick

Who was your first ever pick?

The year you started playing, or made you first salary buy, or whatever, who was it?

The leagues I play in now, the first one started in 2003, I had the 4th pick and it was Priest Holmes.

The three players taken before that were, Rickey Williams, Ladanian Tomlinson, and Clinton Portis, if I remember correctly.

It was clearly a huge payoff as Priest went on to set the TD record in a single season, but unfortunately, I lost in the championship game.

Before that in the mid 90s, I had tried to do a small league using the player listings out of the Thursday edition of USA Today. That league didn't make it the whole season and I have no idea which players I had.

How about you?

After about two years of pushing, my friends at work convinced me to play FF in 2005.

10 team standard scoring Yahoo league. My name was drawn 1st (no 1 pick) and because he threw 49 touchdowns the year before, I picked Peyton Manning.

He only threw 20 some touchdowns that year. The only other pick I remember was Clinton Portis.

The rest of my draft wasn't very good, but I worked the WW throughout the season & ended up finishing 3rd.

That league lasted through the 2017 season, & then died. I miss it!

Don't remember what year it was. Just that it was before Al Gore invented the internet. We had to look up the stats in the Tuesday morning paper.  It was touchdown and field goal scoring only and I had the first pick. I chose Kurt Warner back when he was leading the greatest show on turf. I think I finished 3rd that first year. It hooked me and I've been in 2 leagues ever since.

Wow what a great question. 

1989 With the Chicago Bears rb Neal Anderson. 

Of course non ppr, it was just a total points league. 

My first year in this league, it was the second year for the league. 

The league home is still in South Lake Tahoe, and it’s the only league I’m still in. 

And we still draft up at the Lake and the leagues as since changed many times, both in number of owners and league scoring system. 

Hey thanks that was a fun post. 

My first pick was in 1994.  I don't remember exactly what pick I had--it wasn't the first overall pick, but it was one of the first three or four--and I picked Cody Carlson, QB of the Houston Oilers.  I have no idea why.  I axually recovered pretty well, picking Chris Warren in the 2nd round, who ended up the #3 fantasy RB in 1994 behind Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders, and after a loss in Week 1, I converted my high waiver priority (worst-to-first in those days) into Terance Mathis, who had just joined the Falcons after four crappy years with the Jets and had been overlooked by everyone in the draft.  Mathis went on to be the #3 fantasy WR in 1994 behind Jerry Rice and Sterling Sharpe, so I did ok... Didn't win the league, but I did better than I deserved to do after taking Cody freaking Carlson with a top 5 pick, that's for sure.

And then I became Axe Elf...

48 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

After about two years of pushing, my friends at work convinced me to play FF in 2005.

10 team standard scoring Yahoo league. My name was drawn 1st (no 1 pick) and because he threw 49 touchdowns the year before, I picked Peyton Manning.

He only threw 20 some touchdowns that year. The only other pick I remember was Clinton Portis.

The rest of my draft wasn't very good, but I worked the WW throughout the season & ended up finishing 3rd.

That league lasted through the 2017 season, & then died. I miss it!

Haha!

I did the same thing that year, picked Peyton in the 1st round, I did okay for the season but that pick could have been better

15 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

My first pick was in 1994.  I don't remember exactly what pick I had--it wasn't the first overall pick, but it was one of the first three or four--and I picked Cody Carlson, QB of the Houston Oilers.  I have no idea why.  I axually recovered pretty well, picking Chris Warren in the 2nd round, who ended up the #3 fantasy RB in 1994 behind Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders, and after a loss in Week 1, I converted my high waiver priority (worst-to-first in those days) into Terance Mathis, who had just joined the Falcons after four crappy years with the Jets and had been overlooked by everyone in the draft.  Mathis went on to be the #3 fantasy WR in 1994 behind Jerry Rice and Sterling Sharpe, so I did ok... Didn't win the league, but I did better than I deserved to do after taking Cody freaking Carlson with a top 5 pick, that's for sure.

And then I became Axe Elf...

I didn't play fantasy football until 2005, but I was always a huge football fan. Those names bring back a lot of memories!

I remember my second pick, from the Philadelphia Eagles rb Keith Byars.  

52 minutes ago, loonecho said:

We had to look up the stats in the Tuesday morning paper.  It was touchdown and field goal scoring only and I had the first pick. 

Yeah, scoring 20+ years ago was a lot more basic. No PPR, and we gave a 3 point bonus if the RB/WR/TE went over 100 yards.  The QB over 300.  Otherwise it was just points for TD’s.

On a bad week, your kicker could be your high scorer.

Late 1990's.... no idea.   However, I'm so old I logged onto FFToday.com on September 11, 2001.  Most threads read "The Twin Towers are falling!"  "Terrorists attacking U.S."  "Worst day in American history"...

Other threads were "Will NFL games still play this weekend, and if so who should I start - McNair or Favre?"

• Like 1

1.8 Randy Moss WR OAK
2.3 Corey Dillon RB CIN
3.8 Torry Holt WR STL
4.3 Trent Green QB KC
5.8 Chris Brown RB TEN
6.3 Drew Bennett WR TEN
7.8 Adam Vinatieri K NE
8.3 Jermaine Wiggins TE MIN
9.8 NYJ DST
10.3 Drew Brees QB SD
11.8 Derrick Mason WR BAL
12.3 Eddie Kennison WR KC
13.8 Marshall Faulk RB STL
14.3  Daniel Graham TE NE

5-9

What the hell was I doing?

First year I ever played was in 2007. Friend talked me into it but I had to work for part of the draft. So my friend let me borrow his fantasy magazine and I studied up and made a list of around my top 100. I didn’t make it back until the 4th round and I picked AP! Won the chip and  have been hooked on rookie RB’s ever since. Own Jacobs this year.

1992. Friends badgered me into. I thought the idea was stupid (kinda like smoking cigarettes tastes awful at first...). 

Anyway, total points league and I got third pick. Took Thurman Thomas (Emmit and Barry went one and two). Week one he scored 4 TDs against the Rams I believe. Won the league wire to wire. Been a junky ever since....

1983 in college.  Eight team standard scoring.  Your guy could march up and down the field but if he didn't score, you got nothing.  QB's were at a premium and I got Lynn Dickey of the Packers.  I won the championship after a Packer/Redskin Monday Night game.  Dickey went crazy and Mark Mosely (my kicker) made a 47 (?) yard field goal to win it for the Redskins and for me.  This was insanely long for Mosely at the time.  All the winnings went toward buying beer for all the participants.  I'm old.

1998 - Drew Bledsoe 

We had no clue as to what we were doing.  Not just me but everyone. The first overall pick was Brett Favre. Everyone took a QB in the 1st round. Round 2 Barry Sanders was the first pick. Everyone took a RB. Round 3 Jerry Rice was the first pick. The round started out all WR until we took Marshall Faulk.  Other owners were like you mean we can do that? 

Curtis Martin 1995 . Anyone have to check newspaper to formulate qb passer rating to determine points? Manually can commish to submit lineup? We are all spoiled today with the internet for sure!

1993, 3 team league.  Had to go buy a newspaper to check box scores.  Guys like Marino, Montana, Slaughter, Martin, Bavaro, and of course Morton Anderson

1 minute ago, smperry said:

1993, 3 team league.  Had to go buy a newspaper to check box scores.  Guys like Marino, Montana, Slaughter, Martin, Bavaro, and of course Morton Anderson

Same league all these years later. 12 man today, all high school friends.
We do it for free now, all we want to do is win the trophy still.

Took me a while to find the exact year, as I only knew it was the early 90's.  Found it by looking up game logs of certain players because in the first two weeks I had built up a ridiculous total point lead over everybody it was crazy.  And I had no idea what I was doing LOL.  I bought a magazine and drafted from that.  It was an 8 man league and the big winner was total points.  By the end of week 2 I had a lead of over 160 points.

I picked 3rd I believe, and my first pick was John Elway.  Certainly a name pick as I had no idea that Steve Young and Dan Marino were way better fantasy producers.  But I hit big on other positions:  Ben Coates, Andre Rison, Chris Carter - all 3 guys had phenomenal seasons.  Rison and Coates each had over 100 yards and scored 2 td's in each of the first two weeks, so that when week 3 rolled around and they had normal weeks, I was all like I'm gonna drop these guys LOL.  I won this league easily.  Got me hooked

9 hours ago, Candygram4Mongo said:

1.8 Randy Moss WR OAK
2.3 Corey Dillon RB CIN
3.8 Torry Holt WR STL
4.3 Trent Green QB KC
5.8 Chris Brown RB TEN
6.3 Drew Bennett WR TEN
7.8 Adam Vinatieri K NE
8.3 Jermaine Wiggins TE MIN
9.8 NYJ DST
10.3 Drew Brees QB SD
11.8 Derrick Mason WR BAL
12.3 Eddie Kennison WR KC
13.8 Marshall Faulk RB STL
14.3  Daniel Graham TE NE

5-9

What the hell was I doing?

Marshall Faulk in the 13th round? Wow! That's like, the best pick ever!

What the hell was the rest of the league doing? 🤣

40 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Marshall Faulk in the 13th round? Wow! That's like, the best pick ever!

What the hell was the rest of the league doing? 🤣

not in 2004 or 2005 which I'm assuming was when the draft happened

1 minute ago, Super Cubs said:

not in 2004 or 2005 which I'm assuming was when the draft happened

Oh yeah, I was reading through them all and thought it was in 98, but yeah, the year you said makes more sense 🤣

Sorry, just got up

I think it was 2006.  Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson were the first two picks.  I was third and took LT with his monster season.  Being my first year, I didn’t know what I was doing, so I really f’d up the rest of my picks.  I recovered and finished third and won it all the next year!

2000 was my first year. The newsroom at the paper I worked at had a league and desperately needed 1 more player. I knew nothing about football other than Bo Jackson and Joe Montana. Seriously, I NEVER watched football before fantasy football came around for me. Not sure what pick it was, but my first pick was Brad Johnson from Washington. I think a few guys in the room got whiplash from turning around so quickly with a WTF look on their face. LOL   I had no idea what I was doing. I went off a magazines rankings I think. I ended up with Marvin Harrison and Mike Anderson as well that year. Don't recall if I made the playoffs. Probably not.  It was easily the worst year I ever had tho. I had to get advice from my "sports people" alot. I was just a skater punk who knew nothing about football. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years tho. My wife HATES fantasy football since it's still the only reason I ever watch the games.

In an 8-team league, non-ppr, I took Ricky Watters with pick #8 (then Curtis Martin at #9), in 1998.  Randy Moss went as the second to last pick in the draft that year, to the person who took Terrell Davis #2 overall after Brett Favre went #1.

George Blanda!

He played QB and kicked FG's!

(threw a lot of picks, though....including 42 int's in 1962...a record that even Winston can't match)

36 minutes ago, stonewall said:

(threw a lot of picks, though....including 42 int's in 1962...a record that even Winston can't match)

I just heard Winston say "hold my beer..."

Can’t remember who was picked first, I had Brian Westbrook, TO, McNabb. Was eagles heavy the year they were dominating.

Won the league the first time I ever played. Dumb luck drafting all Eagles. 

91... can't remember the draft slot. long tds and tds "out of postion" were heavily rewarded.  I would gravitate towards barry and therman thomas. used to go for moon, kelly, young