Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Adam Gase

In my opinion, he's the most overrated Head Coach, possible person, in the NFL.  Why in the heck would he even attempt to trade Jamal Adams???  He's already made it clear he wants Bell gone, traded away Williams and wanted Anderson gone too.  Is he wanting to be the Dolphins?  This guy has some serious issues.  He's never done a single thing on his own to prove he's even worthy to have this sort of control.  I can't wait until he flops miserable in New York, as he did in Miami, and then nobody will hire him again.  Jamal Adams is not only their best player, but one of the best Safeties in the NFL.  Gase is a tool. 

I’ve been chatting with my buddy about this all day (both Jet fans). Why I’m Gods name would Gase float all these guys names out there for trade and not make a deal?  Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they didn’t.  Now you have a locker room of angry players. Just like in MIA.  And you’re right about Adams. A great player still on his rookie deal. It was reported Gase was shopping him only bc “he didn’t like Adams”.  Are you kidding me?!!  Apparently Gase doesn’t like good players.  I hated the Gase signing from the start and it’s worse than I could ever imagined.  He should be fired tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Why do you guys think Gase is the GM?

I dont get it.  Assume you are just ignorant to what a GM does.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Why do you guys think Gase is the GM?

I dont get it.  Assume you are just ignorant to what a GM does.

Gase is calling the shots. You didn't know that? 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Gase is calling the shots. You didn't know that? 

Then why is Adams mad at Joe Douglas? 

Guess he didnt know Gase called the shots either and he is in the facility.

Gase is a joke...a punchline at this point.  It was suggested by some that Steelers should entertain trading for Bell...who wants to take on that contract?  I can see why Gase would want to trade him, he's a runner that requires a good offensive line to be successful and the Jets don't have it, and Gase knows it.  That being said, as a head Coach, why would you tank, sell off your assets and set the table for someone else to be successful after they jettison your ass for 2-14 or 1-15 records?  :dunno:

When my Dolphins hired Gase in 2016, I admit I was excited... the supposed offensive genius.  By 2018, I couldn't wait for them to fire the bum. 

I hope he stays with the Jets for many years.

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Then why is Adams mad at Joe Douglas? 

Guess he didnt know Gase called the shots either and he is in the facility.

Because NFL players are as stupid as it gets? 

1) gase isn’t the gm and didn’t float any names as that is not his job

2) Jamal Adams name wasn’t floated. The jets received a phone call. And answered the phone.

I don't particularly care about who is responsible for this week's trade deadline debacle. That Gase is a mediocre coach is indisputable. What I always find fascinating is when mediocre coaches get a second chance. I get it when teams go after a Super Bowl-winning coach like Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren or John Gruden. I even get it when they go after guys who at least made a Super Bowl, like Andy Reid, Tom Coughlin or Jim Caldwell (who, I must confess, performed much better than my rock-bottom expectations for him as HC of my Lions, though that still didn't make him a particularly successful coach).

What I don't get is guys like Gase, Eric Mangini or Rich Kotite. Guys who came in and had one or two good seasons where their teams made the wildcard round before flaming out, and then followed up with a number of mediocre-to-bad seasons. Why are you recycling guys like that? And it inevitably works out exactly as disastrously as everyone expects.

(To be fair, two of the best coaches in the league right know were technically "mediocre" guys who turned it around when they got another chance. But Pete Carroll went to USC after flaming out and became one of the best college coaches in the game (albeit through some shady recruiting). And Belichick's time in Cleveland was much less about him being a bad coach as it was about him not getting along with Modell)

As for Gase, nothing I saw of him in Miami indicated that he was some hidden genius. He's still dining out on that one year as Peyton's OC, which I think people unfairly discount (think of it this way: if you were an ultra-competitive guy like Peyton Manning, would you be happy with a figurehead OC who lets you run the show, or would you want a really smart guy who can work with you and give you every tiny advantage you can get?) Still, nothing he's done in the rest of his career has really been all that impressive. He and McCoy helped build a gimmicky college offense for Tebow that worked for half a season but would have definitely been figured out by NFL defenses eventually, and he elevated Jay Cutler from mediocre to, well, slightly better than mediocre as Bears' OC.

Also, I was a management major in school, and I always find it instructive to evaluate people, whether coaches or politicians or business executives, on their general management abilities. For example, in addition to his brilliance as a playcaller, Sean McVay seems like the kind of coach players would run through a wall for. Meanwhile, my impression of Gase is that he's a trainwreck. He seems to turn on guys in his own locker room, from Ajayi to Bell to Darnold (referring to his franchise QB by his uniform number when announcing he had mono; WTF was that?) He also just comes across as prickly and kind of a jerk. Maybe you can get away with that kind of personality if you're Bill Belichick, but not if your career record is 24-32.

Good news is this will probably be his last rodeo as a HC. Maybe he can get a team to take a chance on him as their OC, but even there, I suspect his star has dimmed.

• Like 1

Yea Gase sucks....no one will dispute that.  

Possibly on drugs as well after seeing that bizarre first presser earlier in the year

16 hours ago, zftcg said:

That Gase is a mediocre coach is indisputable.

I disagree, he is a flat out horrible coach.  Mediocre is giving him way more credit than he deserves.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:12 AM, Beyond Chaos said:

I disagree, he is a flat out horrible coach.  Mediocre is giving him way more credit than he deserves.

That's fair. I just meant he had a mediocre record (23-25) in MIami before he got the Jets job. And honestly, his teams generally performed better than I expected them to. The 10-6 record in his first year was a lot of smoke and mirrors, but I came into last year expecting the team to be as bad as it's been this year, so 7-9 was an accomplishment.

I agree he's been beyond horrible with the Jets.

There's a famous quote that has supposedly been said of a number of famous coaches, from Bear Bryant to Don Shula*: "He can take his'n and beat your'n, and he can take your'n and beat his'n."

After yesterday, we can conclusively say that Adam Gase can take his'n and lose to your'n, and he can take your'n and lose to his'n.

* The first recorded use of it was in reference to Missouri's Don Faurot in 1950, although it sounds like it may have been a common expression even before then.

The term "Offensive Genius" gets thrown around way too much. 

Andy Reid is an "Offensive Genius". 

Norv Turner is an "Offensive Genius". 

Billy B is an "Offensive Genius".

And then you have these guys that should be working in a circus...

Nagy is an "Offensive Clown".

Gase is a straight up clown.

14 minutes ago, thePRO said:

Fire Nagy

Fire Kitchens

Fire Gase

And fire Garrett for losing to Gase...

can we add Tomlin to this list?

• Like 1

Not that Patricia is much better, but sure am glad that Gase chose the Jets job over the Lions. Guy sure seems like a doucher.

15 minutes ago, pipeman said:

Not that Patricia is much better, but sure am glad that Gase chose the Jets job over the Lions. Guy sure seems like a doucher.

Wait, did he? Patricia was hired after the 2017 season, when Gase was still with the Dolphins. He was hired by the Jets after 2018.

I do remember, however, being bummed out when the Lions lost out on Ken Whisenhunt and had to settle for Jim Caldwell. While Caldwell was nothing special, he did make a couple playoff appearances. Whisenhunt flamed out in 1.5 seasons in Tennessee, and then just got fired in mid-season again by the Chargers. The irony was that Whisenhunt might have had more success in Detroit; he always did better handling established pocket QBs like Rivers, Warner and Ben rather than shaping mobile QBs like Mariota, so Stafford would have been right up his alley. But given his track record, I still consider that a bullet dodged.

4 hours ago, zftcg said:

Wait, did he? Patricia was hired after the 2017 season, when Gase was still with the Dolphins. He was hired by the Jets after 2018.

I do remember, however, being bummed out when the Lions lost out on Ken Whisenhunt and had to settle for Jim Caldwell. While Caldwell was nothing special, he did make a couple playoff appearances. Whisenhunt flamed out in 1.5 seasons in Tennessee, and then just got fired in mid-season again by the Chargers. The irony was that Whisenhunt might have had more success in Detroit; he always did better handling established pocket QBs like Rivers, Warner and Ben rather than shaping mobile QBs like Mariota, so Stafford would have been right up his alley. But given his track record, I still consider that a bullet dodged.

My bad. You are correct. After Gase left Miami, there was quite a bit of talk around town that he would take over as OC under Patricia.

59 minutes ago, pipeman said:

My bad. You are correct. After Gase left Miami, there was quite a bit of talk around town that he would take over as OC under Patricia.

OMG I had forgotten about that/blocked it out of my mind. Instead we got Bevell, another seemingly uninspired choice who has been surprisingly good. Yet another bullet dodged. 

I hope that Gase has been saving his money, because he'll never work in the NFL again. Not even as an OC. The guys is a flat-lining moron. The closest he has ever gotten to genius was when he was in meeting rooms with Peyton Manning. I think that Gase needs to call Mangini and see what support group he has been attending since being shown the door from the NFL.

ICEMAN