Sign in to follow this  
‘Game of Thrones’ prequel ‘House of the Dragon’ gets straight to series order from HBO...

https://deadline.com/2019/10/game-of-thrones-new-series-house-of-the-dragons-targaryen-hbo-max-greenlight-1202771886/

GoT veteran Miguel Sapochnik and Condal will partner as showrunners and will also serve as executive producers along with GoT co-executive producer Martin and Vince Gerardis, HBO Programming President Casey Bloys announced at WarnerMedia Day.

House of the Dragon marks Sapochnik’s first project as part of an HBO overall deal where he will develop and produce content for both HBO and HBO Max.

Written by Condal based on Martin’s Fire & Blood, the series, which is set 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones, tells the story of House Targaryen. Sapochnik will direct the pilot and additional episodes.

“The Game of Thrones universe is so rich with stories,” says Bloys. “We look forward to exploring the origins of HouseTargaryen and the earlier days of Westeros along with Miguel, Ryan and George.”

While narrative specifics on the project based on Martin’s Fire & Blood book are scarce, House of the Dragon will certainly be rich in the dragonlord ancestors of Daenerys. We also hear that the Dance of Dragons civil war alluded to in the blockbuster GoT TV series that just ended its Emmy-winning eighth season earlier this year, and in the books, may make up a significant part of this prequel’s storyline.

House of the Dragon was one of the remaining four GoT spinoffs in the works at various stages for HBO and its corporate overlords at AT&T. In the works with Martin and Condal since fall 2018, the House Targaryen project from old pals Martin and Condal takes on material originally explored by Bryan Cogman in one of the five GoT prequel scripts commissioned by the then Richard Plepler-run HBO two years ago.

With HBO Max set to launch next spring, the House of the Dragon project comes from the first installment in the pre-GoT book series was published in November 2018. Further chronicling the long-ruling house’s reign, the second Fire & Blood book is expected in the next year or so, we hear.

The unveiling of this latest GoT project moving ahead comes just hours after Deadline revealed exclusively that the Naomi Watts-led prequel pilot being showrun by Jane Goldman had its plug pulled by the premium cabler. Back in September, Deadline revealed that the Martin and Condal offering was nearing a green light. The project had been gaining momentum as rumors about problems behind the scenes of the Goldman pilots started to surface.

Sapochnik won an Emmy for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series as well as the DGA Award for the Game of Thrones episode, Battle of The Bastards. He was nominated for another Emmy in 2019 for directing the episode The Long Night and shared the Emmy for Best Drama Series as an Executive Producer for the final season. In total, Sapochnik has directed six episodes of Game of Thrones. He also directed the film, Bios for Amblin Studios starring Tom Hanks which debuts in the fall of 2020.  Previously, Sapochnik directed episodes of True Detective for HBO and Banshee for Cinemax.

Ryan Condal was the co-creator and showrunner of USA’s Colony for three seasons.  He was the writer of MGM’s Hercules and is currently adapting the graphic novel Analog as a feature for Lionsgate.

Sapochnik is repped by WME. Condal is repped by Grandview and McKuin Frankel. Martin is with manager Vince Gerardis. Both Condal and Martin also were repped in the original deal for the project, which was made last fall, by WME.

I am so sour on season 7&8 and the long wait for the next book I just don't care.

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I am so sour on season 7&8 and the long wait for the next book I just don't care.

That guy is going to die before another book comes out. 

40 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

+1

47 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I read the fire and blood book, the new series that this is based off of. It sucked. It was written as a history, written year after the events, with missing pieces and conflicting versions of events. 

That said, it could be made into an excellent TV show. The dance of the dragons part in particular. Lots and lots of bloody battles and dragon fights and such. 

15 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I read the fire and blood book, the new series that this is based off of. It sucked. It was written as a history, written year after the events, with missing pieces and conflicting versions of events. 

That said, it could be made into an excellent TV show. The dance of the dragons part in particular. Lots and lots of bloody battles and dragon fights and such. 

I enjoyed fire and blood, but totally understand why people dislike it.

Wake me up a few weeks before the season 1 premiere.  Don't want to hear about it until then. 

2 minutes ago, Reality said:

Wake me up a few weeks before the season 1 premiere.  Don't want to hear about it until then. 

Ill wait till maybe week 4 or so.  In case it sucks.

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

This all the way. Season 8 was like Sopranos last season. I wish it didn't happen.

The original series got much worse after they were past the books. Why think this new series will be any good?

5 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

The original series got much worse after they were past the books. Why think this new series will be any good?

Welcome back dude :cheers:    

Ditto edjr's sentiment. Welcome back, worms. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

The story is already told (for the most part). Not in depth like the book series, but there's in-place a full skeleton framework of lore for HBO to work with from start to finish, if done right, they'll just have to better flesh it out. And hopefully they'll stay true to the text this time. By season five or so, even though they still had plenty of source material to work with, HBO had made a conscious decision to ignore about half of GRRM's storyline.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:49 PM, Drizzay said:

As long as there are nice titties, I will watch.

You can see nice titties anytime you want, on the Internet :wub:

Though I must say, that one snake charmer lady… yeah I still remember those :banana:

4 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

You can see nice titties anytime you want, on the Internet :wub:

Though I must say, that one snake charmer lady… yeah I still remember those :banana:

Sand Snakes definitely made it move

AUGUST 21, 2022!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

AUGUST 21, 2022!!!!

👍

They made the Velaryons black...I guess this is 2022 after all, you can't have n all white cast. It's a minor detail. So long as they stick closely to the books this time in every other regard, I'll appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Voltaire said:

They made the Velaryons black...I guess this is 2022 after all, you can't have n all white cast. It's a minor detail. So long as they stick closely to the books this time in every other regard, I'll appreciate it.

If they make the Targaryens black, then we have a major issue :mad: 

4 hours ago, edjr said:

They are top allies of the Targaryens, also of old Valyrian descent, and made many contributions into the royal bloodline.

LFG :headbanger: 

Is it all available now or a new episode each week? I prefer to binge and will wait if necessary 

In all seriousness, I was wondering about the whole dragon thing. Because they found essentially a dragon or at least it's fossilized bones somewhere in Asia if I recall. And I know people exaggerate things, but the Chinese have been worshiping dragons forever. Really makes me wonder if there wasn't something flying around when the first Chinese or whatever appeared. I mean s***, they didn't didn't make it out of thin air.

15 minutes ago, edjr said:

LFG :headbanger: 

Hell yes!

"No question about it. I'm ready to get hurt again." The Great - Michael Scott

On 6/22/2022 at 2:04 PM, edjr said:

I've got a whole thread on Tamarind.  

• Haha 1

Daemon Targaryen is a blonde Ramsay Bolton and that has me worried. 

The princess looks like she has downs. No wood. 

8 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The princess looks like she has downs. No wood. 

I don’t understand why they picked such an oogly cast. 

24 minutes ago, star69 said:

i never saw any GoF

not a hater

is it worth the time to try and catch up?

Game of Thrones, yes, absolutely 100%.  1st 6 seasons.  Amazing. One of the best shows ever. Season 7 is okay and season 8 is a great disappointment. 

• Like 1

I watched GoT and was so blown away at how horribly season 8 was I refuse to watch this prequel. It’s like I physically cannot watch anything related to GoT at all. I’m not interested in getting burned again. 

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

I watched GoT and was so blown away at how horribly season 8 was I refuse to watch this prequel. It’s like I physically cannot watch anything related to GoT at all. I’m not interested in getting burned again. 

Why do you keep coming back to FFT?