nzoner

Student entrepreneur gets shut down

Unbelievable,a 21 year old kid with some drive and ambition,even using the profits to pay down his student debt and he gets shut down.

Gonzalez would drive 270 miles to a Krispy Kreme store in Clive, Iowa, pack his car with up to 100 boxes, each carrying 12 doughnuts, then drive back up north to deliver them to customers in Minneapolis-St. Paul. Video in link.

5 minutes ago, nzoner said:

Unbelievable,a 21 year old kid with some drive and ambition,even using the profits to pay down his student debt and he gets shut down.

Gonzalez would drive 270 miles to a Krispy Kreme store in Clive, Iowa, pack his car with up to 100 boxes, each carrying 12 doughnuts, then drive back up north to deliver them to customers in Minneapolis-St. Paul. Video in link.

I read this the other day and it pissed me off.  

When I was a Cub Scout we went door to door selling boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts and newspapers on Sunday mornings.  We raised a ton of money back then.  

• Like 1

Krispy Kreme strikes deal with college kid who drives 250 miles to resell its doughnuts

https://fox43.com/2019/11/05/krispy-kreme-strikes-deal-with-college-kid-who-drives-250-miles-to-resell-its-doughnuts/

Krispy Kreme-starved Minnesotans hungry for doughnuts were able to get their sugary fix thanks to an enterprising young entrepreneur.

Jayson Gonzalez, 21, was able to deliver those sweet glazed doughnuts from Krispy Kreme while spreading joy to deprived Minnesotans one box of doughnuts at a time.

Krispy Kreme closed its last store in Minnesota in 2008, the Pioneer Press said.

Gonzalez came up with the idea to drive to a Krispy Kreme in Clive, Iowa, to pick up boxes of Krispy Kreme and deliver them to Minnesotans while traveling to Iowa to coach in a soccer tournament, according to the Pioneer Press.

After coming across a Krispy Kreme during his trip, Gonzalez posted to Facebook Marketplace to see if anyone in Minnesota would be interested in getting some doughnuts.

In just a few days, Gonzalez told the Pioneer Press that he received more than 300 responses.

Gonzalez did not respond to a request for comment from CNN.

He launched a Facebook page called Krispy Kreme Run Minnesota and began to take orders. He would use the page to communicate with customers, and update followers on quantities and pickup locations.

The account has amassed more than 5,000 followers.

A box of a dozen original glazed doughnuts from Krispy Kreme starts at $9.49, according to its website. The Pioneer Press said that Gonzalez resells them from $17 to $20 per box, depending on the variety.

The money Gonzalez makes via his delivery service will be used to help pay for his education at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul, where he is studying accounting, according to the Pioneer Press.

The drive from the Twin Cities to Clive is more than 250 miles and takes approximately four hours. A typical run for Gonzalez would start on a Saturday at 2 a.m., when he would begin his 4-hour trek to Iowa to pick up the doughnuts, according to the Pioneer Press.

Gonzalez can fit 100 boxes of doughnuts into his Ford Focus, according to the Pioneer Press. Once loaded, he would begin his return trip while alerting his followers of the pickup locations on his route. Most pickups are done in the parking lot of a local Target, the Pioneer Press said.

After 19 successful runs, Gonzalez wrote in a post on his Facebook page that he was told by Krispy Kreme to “shut down operations.”

The company tells CNN that it was concerned that the doughnuts were not meeting its quality standards due to the long drive from Iowa to Minnesota.

However, after an outpouring of support, the company is now working on a deal with Gonzalez to allow him to become an independent operator.

“Today, we reached out to Jayson to express our appreciation for his love of Krispy Kreme and admiration for his entrepreneurial spirit,” a spokeswoman for Krispy Kreme tells CNN. “We are going to help him achieve his goals, which include being debt-free when he graduates in 2021, in part by selling Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.

“We wish Jayson great success and we’re thrilled to help him achieve it by donating 500 dozen doughnuts when he re-starts his business.”

• Like 2

Local radio this morning said KK backed down from this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, posty said:

“Today, we reached out to Jayson to express our appreciation for his love of Krispy Kreme and admiration for his entrepreneurial spirit,” a spokeswoman for Krispy Kreme tells CNN. “We are going to help him achieve his goals, which include being debt-free when he graduates in 2021, in part by selling Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.

“We wish Jayson great success and we’re thrilled to help him achieve it by donating 500 dozen doughnuts when he re-starts his business.”

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

People sure waste a lot of money on strange things.  Those doughnuts are good but not that good.  Smart kid to see a market for something and make money from it.

When I was in high school I use to sell fake Oakley's and Tag Heuer watches that I ordered online.  Those were the days.

They didn't know his name was Gonzalez when they shut him down. They backed off when they found out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They didn't know his name was Gonzalez when they shut him down. They backed off when they found out. 

Think you may be on to something here.  I can see why a company, especially a food company, especially a donut company, would not want something like this going on.  The bad PR must have been too much.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

He's not reselling, he is charging delivery fee.  :dunno:

That's awesome!  Pretty solid loophole.

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

He's not reselling, he is charging delivery fee.  :dunno:

Side story - A number of years ago I had two extra tickets for Detroit Tigers opening day game. I was trying to sell them when an obvious cop came up to me to buy them. scalping is illegal so when he asked how much I said the tickets are free if you buy my pen for $200. He told me to go fock myself. :lol: Demitri Young hit three dingers that game

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Think you may be on to something here.  I can see why a company, especially a food company, especially a donut company, would not want something like this going on.  The bad PR must have been too much.

I guess the love of identity politics and minority groups, trumps the hatred of capitalism in this case?

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I guess the love of identity politics and minority groups, trumps the hatred of capitalism in this case?

I'm just jealous he stole my idea.  <_<  It was going to be called "Chick-fil-A Sunday delivery".  Right before closing time on Saturday night you place a gigantic order at Chick-fil-A, then keep it under a heat lamp or somethin' overnight and sell it to stoners the next day for a large markup.  

5 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I guess the love of identity politics and minority groups, trumps the hatred of capitalism in this

Does trump have to invade every thread ??

3 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Does trump have to invade every thread ??

My bad, I forgot to add the word identity in the communication. 

He/him noun Trump vs. Verb trump. 

It was careless of me, poor Verb trump always being the forgotten one of the two. 

How does Krispy Kreme have ANY say over what he does with something he purchases?

I can go to Walmart and buy umbrellas and sell them to who ever the F I want.

4 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

What legal ground does KK have for even making him shut down?

Exactly.  None that I can see. Once he buys the donuts they belong him and he can do whatever he wants with them.

21 minutes ago, BLS said:

How does Krispy Kreme have ANY say over what he does with something he purchases?

I can go to Walmart and buy umbrellas and sell them to who ever the F I want.

I think it's similar to not being allowed to buy a bag of bite size candy bars and sell them individually.  It's written on their wrappers.  Some items are no longer for resale at a certain point.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

People sure waste a lot of money on strange things.  Those doughnuts are good but not that good.  Smart kid to see a market for something and make money from it.

When I was in high school I use to sell fake Oakley's and Tag Heuer watches that I ordered online.  Those were the days.

Hawkeye21 = Eagles Green  ?

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Who is Eagles Green?

A geek that used to sell sunglasses to other geeks.

16 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Can't individual businesses refuse to sell to certain people if they want?

Curious to know how many of his customers were Minneapolis/St. Paul cops

31 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Well, if they hadn't backed down and he didn't either, the next step would have been to tell the store to stop selling to him.

18 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Can't individual businesses refuse to sell to certain people if they want?

Ask the Bakers that refused to make the gay wedding cake.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

My bad, I forgot to add the word identity in the communication. 

He/him noun Trump vs. Verb trump. 

It was careless of me, poor Verb trump always being the forgotten one of the two. 

I forgot to put emoji...i was being sarcastic/funny with the way the forearm triggers

36 minutes ago, Strike said:

Well, if they hadn't backed down and he didn't either, the next step would have been to tell the store to stop selling to him.

This I could see, this at least has some kind of teeth.

But telling the kid he can't/couldn't do it anymore seemed far fetched.

6 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I forgot to put emoji...i was being sarcastic/funny with the way the forearm triggers

I took it as sarcasm. It was funny.

Just now, Cruzer said:

This I could see, this at least has some kind of teeth.

But telling the kid he can't/couldn't do it anymore seemed far fetched.

I suspect they didn't want to put their franchise in an awkward position.  So, go directly to the kid first and, if he doesn't listen, then tell the franchise to cut him off. 

I hope the kid keeps making cash, but the publicity has now put him in the cross hairs for some serious govt interference. 

Is he collecting sales tax on behalf of the state and remitting those funds to the state? The state will also pursue back taxes. 

Is he claiming the income and paying income taxes to the state and fed?

If he's a delivery service, is his vehicle properly registered with the DOT?

What about the health inspector?  What does he/she have to say about him acting as a food distributor?

What sort of biz insurance does he have or need?  What happens when someone claims food poisoning?

Get ready for some sh!t kid.  

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I hope the kid keeps making cash, but the publicity has now put him in the cross hairs for some serious govt interference. 

Is he collecting sales tax on behalf of the state and remitting those funds to the state? The state will also pursue back taxes. 

Is he claiming the income and paying income taxes to the state and fed?

If he's a delivery service, is his vehicle properly registered with the DOT?

What about the health inspector?  What does he/she have to say about him acting as a food distributor?

What sort of biz insurance does he have or need?  What happens when someone claims food poisoning?

Get ready for some sh!t kid.  

Exactly.

What if the kid somehow contaminated the doughnuts and someone he sold them to got seriously ill?  I don't think Krispy Kreme wants anything like that to happen so they need to protect themselves.  There's a lot more involved in this than most people think.

I'm waiting for the breaking news story that includes video evidence of him adding some extra "glaze" prior to delivery.

3 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Exactly.  None that I can see. Once he buys the donuts they belong him and he can do whatever he wants with them.

American Pie style? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Van Wilder.

I didn't see it :dunno: