Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Smartest Play Ever?

Pretty sure it was the 99 Rams.  They were playing the Titans, in a regular season game.  Anyway, Az Hakim had gotten hurt on the previous play with the clock running and under 2 minutes.  Marshall Faulk ran over to him, picked him up and lined him up, so that Warner could snap it and spike it, without there being a penalty.

• Like 1

Chris Weber once called a timeout in a national championship game when Michigan didn't have any left. That was pretty dumb...

Oh, am I in the wrong thread? 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Axe Elf posted a video of a player thinking on his feet and making a smart play, with the thread title, "Smartest Play Ever?"

Then Axe Elf goes on to dismiss and reject the plays submitted by everyone else as the smartest plays, only because they aren't Axe Elf's suggestion.  But as it turns out Axe Elf banked his assertions of superiority on a play that wasn't the original version.  The rest of the board cannot be held accountable for Axe Elf's research shortcomings, faulty logic, or extremely over inflated sense of ego.  But again, thanks for playing.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jgcrawfish said:

Then Axe Elf goes on to dismiss and reject the plays submitted by everyone else as the smartest plays, only because they aren't Axe Elf's suggestion.

Incorrect.  Axe Elf discussed many submissions on their own merits, such as...

On 11/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, AxeElf said:

That was Brian Westbrook, and yes, that would be in the conversation too.  It took a lot of discipline to do that in the heat of what would otherwise be a scoring play.

Axe Elf banked his assertions of superiority...

Axe Elf made no assertions of superiority (at least, no assertions of his nomination's superiority--the superiority of Axe Elf himself needs no overt assertion); Axe Elf created a thread for nominating and discussing the smartest plays of all time.

The rest of the board cannot be held accountable for Axe Elf's research shortcomings, faulty logic, or extremely over inflated sense of ego.

The rest of the board cannot be held accountable for jgcrawfish's comprehension shortcomings, faulty logic, or extremely over inflated need to attack posters greater than himself.

But again, thanks for playing.  

You're welcome.

# Thank You, Axe Elf!

38 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Incorrect.  Axe Elf discussed many submissions on their own merits, such as...

Axe Elf made no assertions of superiority (at least, no assertions of his nomination's superiority--the superiority of Axe Elf himself needs no overt assertion); Axe Elf created a thread for nominating and discussing the smartest plays of all time.

The rest of the board cannot be held accountable for jgcrawfish's comprehension shortcomings, faulty logic, or extremely over inflated need to attack posters greater than himself.

You're welcome.

# Thank You, Axe Elf!

Welp, that would cover it.  Except I'm not the one who submitted, at a minimum, the second occurrence of a play as the smartest play ever.  How can it be the smartest play if it's already been done?  Hey, I have this GREAT idea for networking disconnected computers around the world...you know, creating sort of a place where they can share information and opinions...it's the GREATEST idea ever.  Wait, it's be done already?  Well, it's still the GREATEST IDEA EVER because even though someone beat me to it, i still thought of it!  Heaven spare us from hairy, fat, internet know-it-alls with keyboard related superiority complexes.  #AEIAFP  :wave:

36 minutes ago, jgcrawfish said:

Except I'm not the one who submitted, at a minimum, the second occurrence of a play as the smartest play ever.

Don't be jealous; maybe you can start your own thread with something similar sometime.

#Æ, I.O.U.!

15 hours ago, rallo said:

I always disagreed with the bizarre kickoff rule, as you could argue that it is an illegal touch... in most other instances the player can't legally touch the ball after going out of bounds and not reestablishing themselves... to have a different interpretation on kickoffs seems silly

We not see this rule much longer. Maybe by next year. :dunno:

On 11/8/2019 at 1:29 PM, AxeElf said:

Thanks to the video you posted, I've seen it done twice now, both by Packers.

I would say they are both equally smart, both being similar applications of the same rule.  The Packers obviously have a good special teams coach to make sure their players are taking advantage of the rule when the opportunity presents itself.

Even the announcers were going on and on about what a brilliant play it was.  So if you're offering that clip as evidence to the contrary, it was an epic fail.

It’s hard to find YouTube videos of ordinary plays. That’s my point. It happens a lot more often than you think.

2 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

It’s hard to find YouTube videos of ordinary plays. That’s my point. It happens a lot more often than you think.

I'll try to keep it out of the "Rarest Play Ever?" thread then.

I've seen that Step out of bounds and touch or catch a kick in the field of play many times over the years, but I actually watch football.

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I'll try to keep it out of the "Rarest Play Ever?" thread then.

I don’t understand this retort. “Rarest play ever” along with other actual rare plays should be very easy to find on YouTube.

impossible to find a specific 2 yard carry by Ron Dayne because well that’s ordinary. 

it’s like beating a dead horse elf all I’ve been trying to say is that play happens a lot more often than you think. It’s without question a smart play by Montgomery but it’s been done many times before. Just without the acrobatic stretching across the ground. The athleticism involved doesn’t make it any smarter than anyone prior.

Just now, LoOnAtIk said:

I don’t understand this retort. “Rarest play ever” along with other actual rare plays should be very easy to find on YouTube.

impossible to find a specific 2 yard carry by Ron Dayne because well that’s ordinary. 

it’s like beating a dead horse elf all I’ve been trying to say is that play happens a lot more often than you think. It’s without question a smart play by Montgomery but it’s been done many times before. Just without the acrobatic stretching across the ground. The athleticism involved doesn’t make it any smarter than anyone prior.

If anything one can argue him stretching out like that was very dangerous.what if he misses and bats the ball back into play? Or what if he stretches so far that his toes are no longer out of bounds but in bounds? Then it goes from smartest play ever to possibly the dumbest play ever.

7 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I don’t understand this retort.

I guess your confusion stems from ignorance concerning the meaning of the word "rarest"?  The suffix "-est" is a superlative; when attached to the word "rare," it means "most rare."  And if your ignorance extends to the word "rare" itself, let me enlighten you with that definition as well:

rare (adj) (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.

So, when you say things like...

12 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

...that play happens a lot more often than you think...

...you are using other words to say that the play is not rare.

Therefore, I said that I will try to avoid nominating it in the "Rarest (most rare) Play Ever?" thread.

Understand now?

On 11/10/2019 at 8:29 PM, AxeElf said:

I guess your confusion stems from ignorance concerning the meaning of the word "rarest"?  The suffix "-est" is a superlative; when attached to the word "rare," it means "most rare."  And if your ignorance extends to the word "rare" itself, let me enlighten you with that definition as well:

rare (adj) (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.

So, when you say things like...

...you are using other words to say that the play is not rare.

Therefore, I said that I will try to avoid nominating it in the "Rarest (most rare) Play Ever?" thread.

Understand now?

You’re just diving into semantics now elf it was a fun discussion when others chimed in with different, never before seen plays, but when someone argues against your nomination it’s not fun anymore boohoo.

I just saw a TurboTax "Expert Play" commercial featuring Henry Ruggs doing the maneuver featured in my OP against the Chiefs a couple of weeks ago.

On the other hand, the Raiders also made sure that this didn't age well...

On 11/7/2019 at 10:42 AM, Utilit99 said:

Smartest play ever was the first guy who ever (whoever it was), to go down before scoring a TD and allowing the offense to run out the clock for the win without the other team ever getting the ball back.

I know there's occasional b!tching about forward fumbles through the endzone resulting in a touchback, but being able to stand out of bounds and reach back in to create a penalty against the kicking team is absolutely the dumbest rule in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Vikings4ever said:

I know there's occasional b!tching about forward fumbles through the endzone resulting in a touchback, but being able to stand out of bounds and reach back in to create a penalty against the kicking team is absolutely the dumbest rule in the NFL.

Ironically, that's kind of what makes it the smartest play--because it exploits the dumbest rule.

Or more accurately, the dumbest application of two reasonable rules--that a player out of bounds is also considered to be out of bounds, and that a kickoff out of bounds results in a penalty against the kicking team.

22 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

And brace for the b!tching.

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Definitely a solid candidate--but not so much for rule awareness as for the psychology of the thing.

So, I win?

7 hours ago, taco breath said:

So, I win?

I won it.  The DB jumping out of bounds and tipping the ball back to his teammate was the smartest play.  He had to process the following to make that play:

1. Realize it's going out of bounds
  2. Scan the field to see if his teammate would be in position to get the tipped ball
  3. Calculate the timing and angle he would need to jump out of bounds, control the ball and tip it.
  4. While in the air, he needed to again assess that his teammate was in position to receive the tip

The standing out of bounds and touching the ball on the kickoff was revealed to be a standard play anytime the kickoff ventured close to the sideline, so it's out. 

There was a play by Ed Reed that was really smart.  

Reed was playing against Peyton Manning.  Reed was playing single high safety.  He knew in that situation that Manning was going to look him off towards the post and hit a guy down the sideline, so when Manning went to look him off, he took a step toward the receiver Manning was using to look him off, and immediately started sprinting toward Manning's real target and intercepted the ball.  

So it was one of those, Reed-knows-that-Manning-knows situations and he thought one level higher than Manning was thinking and manipulated him into throwing the pick.

4 hours ago, nobody said:

I won it.  The DB jumping out of bounds and tipping the ball back to his teammate was the smartest play.  He had to process the following to make that play:

1. Realize it's going out of bounds
  2. Scan the field to see if his teammate would be in position to get the tipped ball
  3. Calculate the timing and angle he would need to jump out of bounds, control the ball and tip it.
  4. While in the air, he needed to again assess that his teammate was in position to receive the tip

The standing out of bounds and touching the ball on the kickoff was revealed to be a standard play anytime the kickoff ventured close to the sideline, so it's out. 

We have the same play and ultimate Frisbee it's called 'the greatest'.

it's where the disc is flying out of bounds and the receiver leaps up in the air from inbounds and catches the disc and throws it back to one of his players before he makes contact with the ground.

Marino's play was smarter because he won the game with it, sorry.

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Sorry, there are no prizes for nominations.

Will there be a vote, will there be teef?

19 hours ago, taco breath said:

Marino's play was smarter because he won the game with it, sorry.

I don't even think that play was that smart.  It wasn't like Duper (was it mark duper?) Was standing their side open because Marino faked a spike.  He still had to got it in a window.  Duper probably gets the same separation without the fake spike.

I just looked it up.  It was Mark Ingram Sr.  Not Mark Duper.  And it the cornerback had coverage.  Marino just made a back shoulder throw.  The fake spike didn't do shìt on that play in regards to the DB's coverage.

Watching the clip though, Marino reminded a lot of how Phillip Rivers throws... All body, no shoulder. 

The other reason I think the fake spike play is overrated is spiking the ball there is stupid.  You completed the pass to the 8 yard line with 33 seconds left.  You have time to call a play at the line there and still get 4 shots at the end zone.  If anything, the Jets were stupid for thinking Marino was going to spike it.  I wouldn't say it was a brilliant move by Marino.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:15 AM, Utilit99 said:

Chris Weber once called a timeout in a national championship game when Michigan didn't have any left. That was pretty dumb...

Oh, am I in the wrong thread? 

As a big Tar Heel fan, I certainly remember that one 😁

Actually I have to say this is the smartest play I've ever seen...

Alex Smith gets the Football Team a free time out before the half so they can kick a FG

Is that the one where he ran off the field with the football?  That was a good one.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Is that the one where he ran off the field with the football?  That was a good one.

Yes it is