Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Sen. Kamala Harris introduces new bill to make school days longer

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

I read the bill---it's a grant for a 5 year test that allow local communities the opportunity to try and better serve the needs of the students and families . The hours do not seem to be mandatory, but would fund keeping the schools participating to stay open 3 more hours---basically like a supervised daycare with more structured activities.  But I do like the overreactions here at the GC.   

1. What the hell else is it supposed to say, this bill sucks?  :lol:

2. So it is 3 extra hours, but not necessarily in the 8-6 window.  Basically a distinction without a difference.

Otherwise, good job good effort.  :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

1. What the hell else is it supposed to say, this bill sucks?  :lol:

2. So it is 3 extra hours, but not necessarily in the 8-6 window.  Basically a distinction without a difference.

Otherwise, good job good effort.  :thumbsup:

The bill didn't say that, that was my quick summary of the goals of the test.   No, it's 3 hours in the 8 to 6 window---not sure where you got that.   :dunno:

I'm actually not sure what's the issue---my grade school ran to 3:30, but was open most nights until 5:30 for sports practices, band, drama activities.  Seems the goal of this bill is to give schools money to test if it's feasible to add more extra-curricular activities, stay open later giving kids a safer place to be than at home alone or elsewhere.  I did not see anything in the bill that indicated that it would be mandatory for anyone to stay the extra 3 hours---but can't say for sure.  

Still seems to be an overreaction by some here to Harris proposing that LOCAL educational systems be given some money to experiment with programs that could help families, students & communities.   

It's going to cost a lot of money. Who's paying for it? Not me I hope. I don't want it. 

6 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Here's one for ya.   A local HS sophomore and his 6th grade brother moved to the district last year.  They're both excellent basketball players and really nice kids.  Their parents couldn't afford to stay here in their section 8 apartment so the HS coach and a booster took the kids in so they could stay in the district.  In order to make it all legal, the parents had to rescind all their parental rights so the families that took them in could adopt them.  

The parents haven't been heard from since.  

They'll pop back up when junior signs that NBA contract though. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

They'll pop back up when junior signs that NBA contract though. 

It's called liberalism. No need to take on accountability for your own life.

8 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Jesus Christ. Kids need to spend less time in school. 

My family friendly bill mandates that the work day end at 3 pm.  :banana:

You ever think maybe we NEED longer school days?  Maybe it'd prevent kids from growing up and being insufferable idiots like you dipshits.

14 minutes ago, Burt said:

You ever think maybe we NEED longer school days?  Maybe it'd prevent kids from growing up and being insufferable idiots like you dipshits.

Cut a check. No one is stopping you. 

22 minutes ago, Burt said:

That's not how this works.

Yeah because people that want it, like you, won't pay for it yourselves. You want people like me, who don't want it, to pay for it too. Why? 

Never said I wanted it.  I said it may help society a generation down the road.  From reading this forum its obvious we've failed somewhere in the recent past.

But just for shits, there's a plethora of things I dont like that I still pay for.  Tax cuts for the wealthy comes to mind immediately.  I'm assuming you're likely for it so why dont you pay for it and spare me?  

12 minutes ago, Burt said:

Never said I wanted it.  I said it may help society a generation down the road.  From reading this forum its obvious we've failed somewhere in the recent past.

But just for shits, there's a plethora of things I dont like that I still pay for.  Tax cuts for the wealthy comes to mind immediately.  I'm assuming you're likely for it so why dont you pay for it and spare me?  

I'm not for that at all. But I certainly don't want to add to our expenses with new, unnecessary BS like this. My kids can go outside and play after school. And care to offer any specifics about how bad everyone here is?