Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Why do runners love telling people that they run?

At work and in social settings, I've noticed that a lot of people I deal with, that whenever they have to introduce themselves to a group, something like 7 out of 10 are saying they either have a goal to run a 1/2 or full marathon or that they ran one at some point in time. 

Since when did running a marathon be the gold standard of physical achievement? There are so many more interesting and fun ways to challenge the body. Marathon running has become a cliche pride point. Go do something else.

You are not special anymore.

So stop talking about it. 

This was a public service announcement from one who cares.

Running is old news. Everyone I encounter these days wants to talk about the Tough Mudder stuff they do. 

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

Running is old news. Everyone I encounter these days wants to talk about the Tough Mudder stuff they do. 

Is that something akin to a brown-eyed monocle?

Fast fact: Running in place has lost its luster. 

Just for fun:

1.) How many of your friend and you would you need to beat the world record (we will call it 2hrs) marathon runner in a marathon.  You and your friends, run it "relay-style", the marathon runner runs it on his own. Everyone has to run the same distance.  I don't think you know enough people/have enough work associates/family/friends/friends of friends to be able to even do it.

2.) How long could you keep up the world record marathon runner in a marathon?  To clarify, how long do you think you could run side by side with him?

9 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Yep. That or the spartan run. 

There was a study published a few years about about people who publicised their workout on social media and low self-esteem.

I'll see if I can find it

Just now, bandrus1 said:

There was a study published a few years about about people who publicised their workout on social media and low self-esteem.

🤯

Just now, bandrus1 said:

I’ve got a friend on FACEBOOK who posts his status update / location every single time he goes to the gym. 

Totally gay. 

21 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I here people all the time bring it up in every setting. And also around where I live, people on bikes decked out with all the gear clutter the roads on a daily basis. They are more annoying to me actually because it affects my commuting around town. And why do they have to wear all that crap? They look ridiculous in their tight tights, colorful tight tops, and big ass helmets, holding their water bottles. 

12 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yep. That or the spartan run. 

I thought I remembered you being on here bragging about your tough mudder.  Now you're piling on against people who do the same.  

https://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/topic/463146-maybe-this-is-the-motivation-yall-need-to-run/

Djgb13

FF Geek

Members

20,971 posts

Posted January 16, 2017

On 1/16/2017 at 1:01 PM, Mungwater said:

I finished one yesterday, no one looked like that

We can only dream of showing up to one to find a girl dressed like that. Now when I did the tough mudder run there were girls who were dressed in skimpy outfits but nothing like that. Mainly spandex bloomers and a sports bra. Kept everything in check and didn't let any of them jiggle

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I thought I remembered you being on here bragging about your tough mudder.  Now you're piling on against people who do the same.  

https://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/topic/463146-maybe-this-is-the-motivation-yall-need-to-run/

Djgb13

FF Geek

Members

20,971 posts

Posted January 16, 2017

On 1/16/2017 at 1:01 PM, Mungwater said:

I finished one yesterday, no one looked like that

We can only dream of showing up to one to find a girl dressed like that. Now when I did the tough mudder run there were girls who were dressed in skimpy outfits but nothing like that. Mainly spandex bloomers and a sports bra. Kept everything in check and didn't let any of them jiggle

Do you constantly hear about me talking about it though? I also did CrossFit and Krav Maga. I don’t mention that hardly at all. But I will make fun of the people who talk about it all the time. It’s just an obstacle course. Nothing too extreme. Maybe use your head a little and you’ll realize what exactly we are talking about here 

I think vegans and people allergic to gluten share a lot about their digestion and in turn how your digestion would be better if you'd stop consuming such and so.

8 minutes ago, peenie said:

I think vegans and people allergic to gluten share a lot about their digestion and in turn how your digestion would be better if you'd stop consuming such and so.

That's just people trying to tell you that your farts are making them wanna puke.  

16 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Do you constantly hear about me talking about it though? I also did CrossFit and Krav Maga. I don’t mention that hardly at all. But I will make fun of the people who talk about it all the time. It’s just an obstacle course. Nothing too extreme. Maybe use your head a little and you’ll realize what exactly we are talking about here 

Not too shabby for a guy on disability.   

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

exactly 

So I suppose the guys with no legs running in these that are on disability too from the military are the same as me right? 🙄 it’s amazing how little concept of how things you have 

Just now, Djgb13 said:

So I suppose the guys with no legs running in these that are on disability too from the military are the same as me right? 🙄 it’s amazing how little concept of how things you have 

Give it up faker.  You aren't injured.  You're just milking the system.  

Just now, vuduchile said:

Yep. That’s me. Faking it. Despite all the X-rays, MRIS, lab tests, and exams I’m faking and all the doctors are in on it. The ones who are notorious for denying disability claims and saying they aren’t service connected. Those are guys are somehow helping me milk the system. 

makes total sense 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yep. That’s me. Faking it. Despite all the X-rays, MRIS, lab tests, and exams I’m faking and all the doctors are in on it. The ones who are notorious for denying disability claims and saying they aren’t service connected. Those are guys are somehow helping me milk the system. 

makes total sense 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, vuduchile said:

Face it. You don’t have a pot to piss in. Everything your saying sounds dumb as sh1t and it pisses you off to the point you throw a tantrum. It’s quite hilarious to see someone flounder about trying to find someone but keeps looking stupid while doing it. Maybe instead of being so concerned about my life you should work on your own first 

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I gotta side with digby here.  I'm not a healthcare professional and have not performed any examinations, but it's clear to me that he's disabled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I gotta side with digby here.  I'm not a healthcare professional and have not performed any examinations, but it's clear to me that he's disabled.

Yep. Clearly so. My calm attitude and just overall not giving a fock attitude is out of place here. 

4 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yep. Clearly so. My calm attitude and just overall not giving a fock attitude is out of place here. 

Weren't you the guy sitting on your porch with a shotgun because you thought some guys in a clown suit were going to play a joke? Yes, you're a cool cat. 

Runners are like vegans and parents, they have to constantly mention their kids and awful diet because they hate kids and miss meat and want to know when you will be as miserable as they are. 

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

Runners are like vegans and parents, they have to constantly mention their kids and awful diet because they hate kids and miss meat and want to know when you will be as miserable as they are. 

Swear vegans always mention they are vegan. Guy I played football with in HS just went vegan 2 weeks ago and every day he won’t shut up about it 

I’m going to be charitable here and suggest that it’s a hobby that’s important to them and takes up a lot of their time and energy so they’re enthusiastic about it and like to share with potentially like-minded people. I mean a lot of these hosers are up at 4am so they can get that run in before the kids are up etc. It’s really a big commitment if they’re  truly serious about it.

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I’m going to be charitable here and suggest that it’s a hobby that’s important to them and takes up a lot of their time and energy so they’re enthusiastic about it and like to share with potentially like-minded people. I mean a lot of these hosers are up at 4am so they can get that run in before the kids are up etc. It’s really a big commitment if there truly serious about it.

It's like sharing your fantasy football team with all other fantasy football people online. I exercise a lot, but don't run around telling people I do it because they don't care. It's lame. 

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Swear vegans always mention they are vegan. Guy I played football with in HS just went vegan 2 weeks ago and every day he won’t shut up about it 

Yes they do.

5 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Did he have boosters stuffing $20 bills in his pockets after the games like you did? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Did he have boosters stuffing $20 bills in his pockets after the games like you did? 

Didn’t I tell you? 

Me: "So, you're still into jogging?"

Health nut friend: "Uhhh yeah, I RUN every day"  

Unless you're running at full speed, the term is jogging.   Nobody likes health nuts to begin with.... don't be a pretentious ass.

10 minutes ago, riversco said:

I hate when people do stuff and talk about it later.

Or when people don’t do stuff and talk about it earlier 🙃

this is so true, my friend who used to be in the weed industry with me, just started hiking

its now all he can talk about, hes making videos and sending me maps and , I am like dude wtf

its also an instant pass on tinder/hinge/dating site any girl that says her hobby is hiking.  You are full of sh1t and stupid

Bikers are the worst.  Especially the ones who bike to work with the fat tires in the middle of winter.