Djgb13

Big Trucks not liable for broken/cracked windows

Can anyone explain to me how they can skirt the liability of causing cracked windshields if a rock falls off and hits your car? Apparently, if it falls off and immediately hits your car then you were following too closely and it’s your fault. Or if the rock falls off, hits the road, and then hits your car it’s considered debris and they aren’t liable. However, if I were hauling something in my truck and it fell off and hit another car I’m held liable. So how come these trucking companies aren’t? I’ve never understood this and how they could skirt the responsibility 

• Like 1

Well I know very little about this area of the law just like every other legal subject, but I’d imagine you probably could hold them liable they just make it such a tremendous pain in the ass to do so that there’s no point trying. Not just for run of the mill property damage, anyway.

19 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Can anyone explain to me how they can skirt the liability of causing cracked windshields if a rock falls off and hits your car? Apparently, if it falls off and immediately hits your car then you were following too closely and it’s your fault. Or if the rock falls off, hits the road, and then hits your car it’s considered debris and they aren’t liable. However, if I were hauling something in my truck and it fell off and hit another car I’m held liable. So how come these trucking companies aren’t? I’ve never understood this and how they could skirt the responsibility 

A long while back I had my windshield cracked by a rock that flew off of a truck that was hauling rocks and didn't have the tarp pulled back over the bed. I wish I would have thought to get the plate number but didn't. My insurance covered it with no repercussions to my premium as I guess it happens a lot, but still, I wish I had thought of getting the plate and tried to raise hell. Or at least called the company and threatened to report them on the infraction. 

I knew a guy who drove a truck and that was one thing that he was always pissed at. The drivers being too lazy to pull that tarp over when necessary.

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Well I know very B little about area of the law just like every other legal subject, but I’d imagine you probably could hold them liable they just make it such a tremendous pain in the ass to do so that there’s no point trying. 

my thing is they KNOW rocks are flying off the trucks but they don’t secure it enough to where it won’t fly out because they know they can skirt around that and therefore can keep their costs low 

Just now, Djgb13 said:

my thing is they KNOW rocks are flying off the trucks but they don’t secure it enough to where it won’t fly out because they know they can skirt around that and therefore can keep their costs low 

Yeah probably. It’d be real hard to hold them legally  responsible for that and they’d make it expensive as hell and fight jurisdiction and all that other stuff I’ve heard about on law and order. The bastards

You'd  have to have proof it fell from said truck.  If you had dash cam footage you could go after the company who owns the truck.

Alternate thread title: I have a big truck look at meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

2 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

You'd  have to have proof it fell from said truck.  If you had dash cam footage you could go after the company who owns the truck.

I’ve thought about getting one. Not only for cases like this but also in case a motorist lies during an accident. Also thought about having something installed on the back of my truck for a camera there. I have all kinds of dents and scratches from people backing into my bumper. Front and rear. Haven’t wrecked my truck but yet there’s dents and scratches on it from people who hit my truck and then take off 

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

Alternate thread title: I have a big truck look at meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Alternate post content: I have a scooter and a Prius dont laugh at meeeeee! :cry:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Alternate post content: I have a scooter and a Prius dont laugh at meeeeee! :cry:

People without big trucks talk sh1t about them until they need to move or haul something. Then they’re your best friend. 

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

People without big trucks talk sh1t about them until they need to move or haul something. Then they’re your best friend. 

I’m not talking sh1t about big trucks. I was poking fun at your transparent excuse for mentioning that YOU have a big truck.

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m not talking sh1t about big trucks. I was poking fun at your transparent excuse for mentioning that YOU have a big truck.

He can't be expected to carry all that bullsh!t around in his Bugatti.  

39 minutes ago, MDC said:

I haven’t said in this thread at all that I had a big truck. I have a regular truck. The big trucks I’m talking about are 18 wheelers, transport trucks, dump trucks, etc. All those truck you see hauling stuff down the road. 

a little reading comprehension goes a long way 

34 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

He can't be expected to carry all that bullsh!t around in his Bugatti.  

Says the boomer who “owns and runs a six figure business in his backyard” :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Says the boomer who “owns and runs a six figure business in his backyard” :rolleyes:

No backyard Joe Rockhead.   

The biz runs from a 1500 sf showroom with 800 sf of warehouse space.  

Just now, vuduchile said:

No backyard Joe Rockhead.   

The biz runs from a 1500 sf showroom with 800 sf of warehouse space.  

Sure it does 

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Don’t make me go all HT on ya. 

Sure you will. 

FYI notice how it’s always you that tries to start sh1t and not me. Same with HT. It shows what kind of character (or lack thereof) you have. Pretty sad when a millennial has better manners than you. Of course, I am southern and we are raised to be respectful unlike you where your parents were failures 

29 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Sure you will. 

FYI notice how it’s always you that tries to start sh1t and not me. Same with HT. It shows what kind of character (or lack thereof) you have. Pretty sad when a millennial has better manners than you. Of course, I am southern and we are raised to be respectful unlike you where your parents were failures 

You bring the sh!t upon yourself.   

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

You bring the sh!t upon yourself.   

Completely minding my own business brings it upon myself? Yea ok there dopey. As I said, it’s sad how immature you act despite your age. It makes complete sense as to why you get so pissed at seeing someone younger than you more successful, better manners, having actual friends, and having a good social life. 

From now on just keep me out of your mouth. My name. My cack. Everything. 

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

I have a regular truck.

gun rack?  welder? mud flaps? confederate flag? color? horse power?

🍿

5 minutes ago, taco breath said:

🍿

None of the above (except the horse power). I have a 4WD Tundra. Instead of a tool box on the back mine came with one of those folding covers 

maga sticker?

dieseL?

fuzzy dice?  dashboard jesus?

12 minutes ago, taco breath said:

🍿

Nutsac beneath the license plate amirte?

29 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Completely minding my own business brings it upon myself? Yea ok there dopey. As I said, it’s sad how immature you act despite your age. It makes complete sense as to why you get so pissed at seeing someone younger than you more successful, better manners, having actual friends, and having a good social life. 

From now on just keep me out of your mouth. My name. My cack. Everything. 

Yeah. That’s the ticket. 

34 over and out.  

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Nutsac beneath the license plate amirte?

Actually I need one of those car deer repellents. My truck is a deer magnet. In Asheville almost hit two deer running across the road. On our way back the car right beside us hit one on the interstate. Plastic from the car flew up and the deer slide across the road in front of my truck like a fidget spinner. Almost hit one down here in Charleston. I’ve almost hit over 20 deer easily on separate occasions back before we moved. 

Just now, vuduchile said:

Yeah. That’s the ticket. 

34 over and out.  

Yep sure is. So like I said, just keep me out of your mouth. It’ll make you not look like such a jealous idiot 

This issue pisses me off as well

I say an eye for an eye, follow the truck and smash it's windshield

3 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

This issue pisses me off as well

I say an eye for an eye, follow the truck and smash it's windshield

Wife’s car got focking TAR spilled on it by one of these trucks. They hit their gas hard and the tar sloshed forward then backwards and out the damn top of the big container they had on the back. It splashed high in the air, fell, and as it was falling my wife ran right through it. Was hard to avoid since it was a single lane road where the speed limit was 55. The company refused to pay to get it cleaned because “we had no way to prove the driver did anything wrong so we must have been following too closely”. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Wife’s car got focking TAR spilled on it by one of these trucks. They hit their gas hard and the tar sloshed forward then backwards and out the damn top of the big container they had on the back. It splashed high in the air, fell, and as it was falling my wife ran right through it. Was hard to avoid since it was a single lane road where the speed limit was 55. The company refused to pay to get it cleaned because “we had no way to prove the driver did anything wrong so we must have been following too closely”. 

Wow......that's messed up!

9 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Its illegal to not secure your load properly....proving it is another thing.

https://law.justia.com/codes/south-carolina/2012/title-56/chapter-5/section-56-5-4100

Of course. Most of the companies don’t ever secure them good enough. They skimp out on that cost and then don’t have to worry about ever paying anybody if their vehicle gets messed up 

56 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Gloria got splattered with tar a few times too.

:cry: 

4 minutes ago, t.j. booker said:

Gloria got splattered with tar a few times too.

:cry: 

She been screwing black guys? 

5 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

This is what I was going to say. My guess is too many asshoIes lied about who/how their windshields got busted. Found a truck driving down the road, took down the plate number and claimed they caught a rock while driving behind them. Which resulted in the law being changed.

So now, absent video evidence, you're pretty much SOL.