Djgb13

Ways to tell you are in the ghetto

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

More people are in lines to get lottery tickets and scratch offs than there are people trying to find a job. 

Why get a job or open a savings account when you have monopoly millionaires club 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Why get a job or open a savings account when you have monopoly millionaires club 

Hell if I know. But, I heard Jalall from down the street has a friend in Indianapolis, you know, the big city, who's best friend won $10,000 dollars on a scratch off back in 2003. Anything is possible. You know, Obama said we have "hope". We can't let Trump crush that by telling us there are open jobs available. He just don't get it do he?  

2 hours ago, fandandy said:

...and all the cops are soaking wet.  But they didn't play in the fire hydrant.  

This is definitely an "only in a ghetto" thing.  Our water dept drills out hydrant caps that we put on select hydrants in summer.

1. Yard cars

2. Front yard fences/gates

3. Unkempt yards

4. Couches on the front porch

5. Everybody is home during the day, but they don't get up until after noon

6. Easier to find crack/meth than weed

7. 1000 yard stare

8. Random grocery carts

9. 25 going on 60 hookers with more fingers than teeth

10. Popeye's chicken sandwich wrappers everywhere

2 hours ago, riversco said:

Billboards written in spanish.  In America.

Yeah. Once when I worked in downtown nashville, I got word that a truck had overturned on the interstate for my route home. I took a surface street instead.

Ended up in south nasvhille... About half of the signs were in Spanish, and half in arabic (khurdish ghetto). I was floored. Never even knew that hole was there. 

Mostly pitbulls as pets

19 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Having to prepay before pumping gas

Wait, what? Is there another way?  I always pay first with my card at the pump.

FYI, it's a good torn in the ghetto during work hours because guess what? People are at work and kids are at school. People start their commute to work very early because most/many take public transportation. I had to catch 2 buses and 2 trains to get to work 40 miles from my apartment in Newark. Factory workers are coming in at 5:30 - 6 am.

28 minutes ago, peenie said:

FYI, it's a good torn in the ghetto during work hours because guess what? People are at work and kids are at school. People start their commute to work very early because most/many take public transportation. I had to catch 2 buses and 2 trains to get to work 40 miles from my apartment in Newark. Factory workers are coming in at 5:30 - 6 am.

Thats not my experience when I used to work (and briefly lived) in the ghetto. From about noon to 3 or 4 am, people out on porches and in the streets. And around the 3rd or 4th of the month, all hell broke loose party wise.

I love how people passing through the urban poor cities or living there briefly are going to tell a life long resident what it's really like...

If you are unsure if you are in a ghetto, just call a pizza place and ask for delivery to where you are. 

Their answer will let you know. ;)

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Maybe thats an anomaly. Youve told us white people move to the ghetto to be close to jobs.  

22 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Maybe thats an anomaly. Youve told us white people move to the ghetto to be close to jobs.  

No black people. There were no white people living in my area. If you saw white folks, they were passing through or buying drugs.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

No black people. There were no white people living in my area. If you saw white folks, they were passing through or buying drugs.

Right.  But youve cited no jobs and extreme commutes as a reason why AA communities are in poverty.  But youve also said that white people are moving in to AA communities to be close to jobs. Im just trying to figure out which thing is correct.

They aren't moving to my area where I grew up. My hometown has not gentrified.

People who move to Hoboken, for example, aren't moving to work in Hoboken. Those are New Yorkers moving to NJ to live cheeper but still working in NY. 

Whites that have displaced black families in Brooklyn moved there as it is less expensive than living in Manhattan, but continued to work there.

You think white folks are gentrifying black neighbors to work at General Dollar? 

The police practice rampant racial profiling. As in taking a good look at any white people there. 

3 minutes ago, peenie said:

They aren't moving to my area where I grew up. My hometown has not gentrified.

People who move to Hoboken, for example, aren't moving to work in Hoboken. Those are New Yorkers moving to NJ to live cheeper but still working in NY. 

Whites that have displaced black families in Brooklyn moved to there as it is less expensive than living in Manhattan, but continued to work there.

You think white folks are gentrifying black neighbors to work at General Dollar? 

"Displaced". Funny use of that term. So when a black family moved on my block were they "displacing" a white family or trying to provide a better life for their kids? I think the latter, but maybe I need to re-think that. 

13 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

"Displaced". Funny use of that term. So when a black family moved on my block were they "displacing" a white family or trying to provide a better life for their kids? I think the latter, but maybe I need to re-think that. 

White people that sell their homes to black people moving is different than black families forced to leave because their apartment rent prices increased substantially or buildings are destroyed to make new living spaces for those that can afford new homes or townhomes, or low income housing that turns suddenly to condominiums. 

This phenomena is greatly described in the renting practices in San Francisco.

Anyone or any color can be affected by wealthier people moving in to poor changing neighborhoods. I hope to buy a home in a gentrifying neighborhood here in GA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peenie said:

Yeah, this everywhere except New Jersey where self serve is actually illegal.  Full serve throughout the state.

I moved into a senior citizens development because they allowed a few apartments to be rented to non-seniors. Eventually, they opened up the entire senior community to regular renters. The rent was raised high and all the seniors were forced to move (almost exclusively white seniors). The people who moved in were mostly young grad students or workers at the local Hospitals, University or CDC. 

Later, a notice was given that we had 2 months leave. The entire property was being sold to Pulte. 

Townhomes selling for 400K and homes selling for 600K are being built. 

It's called change and progress.

4 hours ago, peenie said:

Yes, where I live you can pump your gas first then go in and grab a water or a snack and pay all at once. Only certain communities can do this.

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Yes, where I live you can pump your gas first then go in and grab a water or a snack and pay all at once. Only certain communities can do this.

Omg, really??? Where do you live??

Oh, I know what you mean, you choose at the pump to pay inside.

But yes, in NJ you must pay the attendant first plus give tip. At least that is how it was when I lived in Newark. So glad I don't live there anymore. 

1 minute ago, peenie said:

Omg, really??? Where do you live??

A terrible community with little to no diversity.

• Haha 1

I see a difference between the ghetto and a low income area.

In a low income area people still have pride in their yards, homes, vehicles in terms of upkeep and cleanliness. They work and have families and productive lives they are living.

In the ghetto people are strung out on booze or meth or H and live life one buzz to the next. All pride and productivity is gone.

Now there is some overlap of low income people in the ghetto and ghetto trash in a low income area.

Just my intense observations after visiting both ghettos and low income areas in the south, midwest, PNW, TX, and southwest. Never lived in one but for various reasons have spent time in each.

Never been to the ghetto or low income areas in NY/NJ. Perhaps because of the extreme urban aspect they occupy the same geographical space.

Just now, Cdub100 said:

A terrible community with little to no diversity.

Lol! It's okay to not have diversity. I'm going to try not to be so defensive and judgmental.

You guys carry on talking sh1t about the poor.

36 minutes ago, peenie said:

But yes, in NJ you must pay the attendant first plus give tip. At least that is how it was when I lived in Newark. So glad I don't live there anymore. 

You have to TIP someone to put gas in your car?  Fock that.  Oregon also refuses to let you pump your own gas,  but nobody acted like they expected a tip. 

On 11/9/2019 at 10:29 AM, MDC said:

On any one street you find a combination of a liquor store, fast check cashing place, and a church.

21 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, that fits Nashville as well!  

Add Deja Vu and a Hustler store on a street in Nashville.....

---it's called Church Street

44 minutes ago, peenie said:

There's no need for a tip.  Lived up here my whole life... never once gave a tip.

13 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah. Once when I worked in downtown nashville, I got word that a truck had overturned on the interstate for my route home. I took a surface street instead.

Ended up in south nasvhille... About half of the signs were in Spanish, and half in arabic (khurdish ghetto). I was floored. Never even knew that hole was there. 

You tried to take Nolensville Road through South Nashville? Ouch.

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There's no need for a tip.  Lived up here my whole life... never once gave a tip.

Why does NJ require gas stations to have someone pump your gas for you? I have been to places that offer full service, but not require it. I think the idea behind full service was to wash windows, check the oil, stuff like that.