Djgb13

Ways to tell you are in the ghetto

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Why does NJ require gas stations to have someone pump your gas for you? I have been to places that offer full service, but not require it. I think the idea behind full service was to wash windows, check the oil, stuff like that.

Insurance insurances I believe.  That said, there have been questions on ballots in the past to have self serve, and it gets voted down substantially every time.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Insurance insurances I believe.  That said, there have been questions on ballots in the past to have self serve, and it gets voted down substantially every time.

I have driven in lots of different states but I just don't remember being in any others that do this. 

1 hour ago, peenie said:

White people that sell their homes to black people moving is different than black families forced to leave because their apartment rent prices increased substantially or buildings are destroyed to make new living spaces for those that can afford new homes or townhomes, or low income housing that turns suddenly to condominiums. 

This phenomena is greatly described in the renting practices in San Francisco.

Anyone or any color can be affected by wealthier people moving in to poor changing neighborhoods. I hope to buy a home in a gentrifying neighborhood here in GA.

There’s a lot of complaining about displacement in my town. I feel bad for seniors on a fixed income who are forced out because their property taxes go up 4-5 times in a span of a few years. I feel less bad for the working age people in the same situation. I’m sure it sucks to have to move but most of those people in gentrifying neighborhoods are also sitting on houses that are worth 4-5 times more than when they inherited them.

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I have driven in lots of different states but I just don't remember being in any others that do this. 

Pretty sure NJ is the only state where it's state-wide.  I think in Oregon full serve exists as well, but only in certain areas.  Other than that, I don't think any other state has full serve.  They may offer it at a charge, but it's never extra in NJ.  In fact, gas is usually cheaper in NJ than in PA, DE, and NY.  Well it was until the voters voted for a 23 cent per gallon extra charge to go towards infrastructure.

4 hours ago, MDC said:

I’m sure it sucks to have to move but most of those people in gentrifying neighborhoods are also sitting on houses that are worth 4-5 times more than when they inherited them.

Only if they've renovated their home. That's issue here for me. I can only afford a home that has not been renovated. If it has all the bells and whistles, the price of the home is 300K - 400K instead of 60K - 150K. 

A person who knows how to fix up homes comes in and buys the house for cheap and then just 2 months later sells it for so much more. Some people just slap on new paint, put in modern appliances and sell it. They will not fix the plumbing, electrical problems, mold or sinking foundation but still make a good profit.

FYI: My credit and income allows me to buy a home for 400K but I'm afraid to take on so much debt alone at my age.

51 minutes ago, peenie said:

FYI: My credit and income allows me to buy a home for 400K but I'm afraid to take on so much debt alone at my age.

Congrats peenie you are looking at what white people look at every day. Risk. Take it or stfu.

53 minutes ago, peenie said:

Some people just slap on new paint, put in modern appliances and sell it. They will not fix the plumbing, electrical problems, mold or sinking foundation but still make a good profit.

Yep. They're called flippers. Beware.

Then buy the pos for cheap yourself peenie, then fix it up yourself. Then you know it was done right.

If you can get a cash loan, go to the courthouse and buy foreclosures off the courthouse steps. Can get real deals that way. They generally publish the notices in the paper, so you can drive by and take a look. 

8 hours ago, drobeski said:

Tons of thugs in Eagles attire 

The easiest way is to look for bars on windows. You will never ever see bars on the windows of homes/businesses   in a non ghetto setting. Ever  

19 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

The easiest way is to look for bars on windows. You will never ever see bars on the windows of homes/businesses   in a non ghetto setting. Ever  

In a real ghetto, you will see occasional houses with 8 foot chain link fences with razor wire. Around the front and back yard. I've seen it in Memphis a few times. 

There are poor people of all kinds. It doesn't matter if you're black, brown, yellow, green, or normal. 

14 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Congrats peenie you are looking at what white people look at every day. Risk. Take it or stfu.

Le sigh.....true. But, I'm not going to stfu. That is mean. 

• Like 1

ghettos ive driven thru lately have gangs of thugs on quads riding all over in middle of the street. and stop lights are optional.

2 hours ago, peenie said:

Le sigh.....true. But, I'm not going to stfu. That is mean. 

If you are unwilling to take a risk on your own neighborhood then you certainly can't complain about it. :dunno:

4 hours ago, porkbutt said:

ghettos ive driven thru lately have gangs of thugs on quads riding all over in middle of the street. and stop lights are optional.

I hate those people.

26 minutes ago, MDC said:

I hate those people.

camden this past summer. took "shortcut" to drop wife off at whatever center that's called now. actually kind of scary. 30 some quads flying all over ...past car, etc. like the wild west:mad:

6 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

camden this past summer. took "shortcut" to drop wife off at whatever center that's called now. actually kind of scary. 30 some quads flying all over ...past car, etc. like the wild west:mad:

North Philly too. I daydream about renting a car just to deliberately drive into the parade of dirt bikes without damaging my own vehicle.

Sound like y'all got y'all own chapter of dem 12 o'clock boys.

17 hours ago, Mookz said:

Sound like y'all got y'all own chapter of dem 12 o'clock boys.

yup exactly like that!!! tell me where these people are getting these quads and dirt bikes? they ain't cheap.

23 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

yup exactly like that!!! tell me where these people are getting these quads and dirt bikes? they ain't cheap.

So much poverty......

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So much poverty......

even with those regular SE wheelie bikes...they are get stolen left and right in towns near me. time for bait bikes and arm breakin :mad:

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So much poverty......

Don't mix up predominately black area with poor area. There were ZERO bikes like that and very few cars in my neighborhood. I guess you guys see it as one in the same, but if there are free standing homes, I don't consider it the ghetto.

Just now, peenie said:

Don't mix up predominately black area with poor area. There were ZERO bikes like that and very few cars in my neighborhood.

Things have changed. For the better. But don't tell anybody. 

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Things have changed. For the better. But don't tell anybody. 

Wrong thread?

On 11/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, peenie said:

Omg, really??? Where do you live??

That's normal where I live.  In fact, we get asked if we have gas to pay for any time we go inside to purchase other stuff.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That's normal where I live.  In fact, we get asked if we have gas to pay for any time we go inside to purchase other stuff.

Where is that? What state?

1 minute ago, peenie said:

Where is that? What state?

Iowa.  I haven't really noticed it being much different in neighboring states either.

47 minutes ago, peenie said:

. I guess you guys see it as one in the same, but if there are free standing homes, I don't consider it the ghetto.

Chicago’s South and West side ghettos are full of free standing homes. 

Gary, IN, which is basically an extension of the Chicago ghettos is mostly single family, free standing homes  

And isn’t South Cental LA single family homes as well?  I’ve nw we been down there, but that’s the way it’s depicted in the movies   

5 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

And isn’t South Cental LA single family homes as well?  I’ve nw we been down there, but that’s the way it’s depicted in the movies   

YES! Actually, this is something I never understood! Like...how y'all poor and yet you live in a house?? Aaannnd, it's never cold? Like, why are you shooting each other? I have no understanding of how and why people in California consider themselves poor. I never understood it, still don't understand it.

6 minutes ago, peenie said:

YES! Actually, this is something I never understood! Like...how y'all poor and yet you live in a house?? Aaannnd, it's never cold? Like, why are you shooting each other. I have no understanding of how and why people in California consider themselves poor. I remember thinking, "This is the ghetto? Y'all are supposedly poor? Why, where??" They had cars. Different poverty altogether. I never understood it, still don't understand it.

I’ve been inside some of those houses in Chicago and Gary.  They are very run down.  

I actually cant believe some of the living conditions I’ve seen there.  

For the most part, they’re section 8 slumlord neighborhoods.  

We had the same type of neighborhoods in Bridgeport, CT. 

My former BIL and I flipped a few of them.  We bought them for pennies on the dollar due to delinquent property taxes, fixed them up and sold them  

I don’t want you going all peenie on me here, but I think the lesson is that most people don’t take care of their homes and neighborhoods unless they actually own them. 

The slumlords are the only winners in these neighborhoods.  Of course , their biz model is not without risk.  

Nothing focks up a nice neighborhood quicker than section 8 housing. That sh1t program should be outlawed. 

• Like 1